• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mman235

So most DS fans seem to rate DS2 as the worst.

I'm still on my first play through and have reached The Gutter (part of The Pit) and the game is becoming less fun to play. I can't beat the boss in the Iron Keep so I moved to The Pit in the hope it would freshen things up.

Does it pick up after this or should I just move on to DS3?

It's hard to tell what you've already done, but assuming you're talking about SOTFS save Iron Keep for last and go to other areas, as that area is rebalanced to be one you leave until last.

In vanilla DS2 I'd say the second half is worse, but in SOTFS almost everything past the great souls has been improved, not to mention the DLC that's some of the best stuff in the series.

KeRaSh

Quick question about killing an NPC:

That lady I rescured from the sewers in Undead Settlement apparently drops the Tower Key that can also be purchased from the Handmaiden. What are the consequences for killing her in the Firelink Shrine besides not being able to make any more purchases from her, not being able to finish her questline and most importantly feeling like a total dick? I really don't want to spend 20k souls on that key...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fucking
Dancer
finally down. Second try this morning, it really helps to go at it fresh doesnt it? I was really going nowhere last night

fucker didnt give me any souls tho, I still have the 40k I had before ;_;

edit: oh wait yes it did, I have 100k now. weird it only updated when I went to the shrine

It's hard to tell what you've already done, but assuming you're talking about SOTFS save Iron Keep for last and go to other areas, as that area is rebalanced to be one you leave until last.

In vanilla DS2 I'd say the second half is worse, but in SOTFS almost everything past the great souls has been improved, not to mention the DLC that's some of the best stuff in the series.

Okay thanks, Iron Keep really stood out as a being a really bad design.

Menome

PS4:

Does anybody want to help me duplicate the armour & sword that Y
uria of Londor
drops when killed?

Will take about 10-15 minutes whilst I fiddle around with copying over save-games, but it means we both end up with a full set for free and can still carry on their quest.

Jellie

PS4:

Does anybody want to help me duplicate the armour & sword that Y
uria of Londor
drops when killed?

Will take about 10-15 minutes whilst I fiddle around with copying over save-games, but it means we both end up with a full set for free and can still carry on their quest.
I'd be up for it

Ratrat

20k key question:

Was I supposed to give the soul to the firekeeper? Feel like I just wasted 20k souls getting in and im not sure what just happened.

psychotron

Really? I beat Iron Keep...pretty easily actually. I then went to Sinners Rise and beat that boss. So that means I've beaten one of the toughest areas? Sweet!

I'm on PS4 and I don't know if it's a bug, but some lesser enemies don't drop souls in this iteration? I noticed when killing some undead soldiers in the first area that they didn't give me any...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so where was the secret zone down in the
irithyll dungeon
? clearly I missed it :/

also someone said you could get 2 of the
equip load rings
but Ive only found one demon that dropped the soul I need, wheres the other?

Really? I beat Iron Keep...pretty easily actually. I then went to Sinners Rise and beat that boss. So that means I've beaten one of the toughest areas? Sweet!

Based on everything I've read to help with my play-through the Smelter Demon boss is one of the hardest due to his insane AOE fire damage.

I get him to 50% health with the NPC summon, but as soon as he dies I get absolutely wrecked.

Jellie

Im in Undead Settlement: Can you guys sum up things I dont want to miss?
Any good weapons? Rings? Convenant?
There's a claymore by the dragon and another weapon in a chest in the room under the dragon I think. Estus shard hidden somewhere, NPC merchant where you need to find his key. A quest line to kill a darkwraith a little later using a key with the door found under the second bonfire. Can't rember the rest of the top of my head but that's the most important I think

psychotron

Based on everything I've read to help with my play-through the Smelter Demon boss is one of the hardest due to his insane AOE fire damage.

I get him to 50% health with the NPC summon, but as soon as he dies I get absolutely wrecked.

Odd. Maybe it's because I had high fire resistance and got the fire protection ring from the salamander pit, but I killed him on the first try. The hardest part was keeping Lucatille alive, which I did. Maybe I'm not so bad at Souls games, lol.

myco666

so where was the secret zone down in the
irithyll dungeon
? clearly I missed it :/

also someone said you could get 2 of the
equip load rings
but Ive only found one demon that dropped the soul I need, wheres the other?

It is where you find the dragon torso. You need to progress in the game to be able to access it though.

Danielsan

I really don't get all the hate for Faron Keep. It's a poison swamp, sure, but it's far easier and shorter than the poison areas in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1.

Ark

How are people writing messages with emotes and more than one line? For some reason it just gives me the option of creating messages with one phrase.

dlauv

Farron Keep was easy and fairly listless. Kind of fun to explore. There's always a white orb in the distance and not all of the swamp bogs you down.

I beat it after beating
Cathedral
tho, so I was mighty prepared.

dock

I've been having a great time with Dark Souls 3 after I got past my 'chokepoint'. I couldn't re-find the entrance to the Undead Settlement's sewers. My progress completely halted entirely for a while!

Does anyone else get into situations like this, where they have to kill every creature in an area and explore it thoroughly for a while before they can make progress?

Odd. Maybe it's because I had high fire resistance and got the fire protection ring from the salamander pit, but I killed him on the first try. The hardest part was keeping Lucatille alive, which I did. Maybe I'm not so bad at Souls games, lol.

Yeah I'm missing the Fire Protection Ring which apparently helps a lot.

Rhaknar

yay 2 developments from firelink, possible late game spoilers

1 - the
thief isnt depressed about the woman's bone anymore and is selling again, so I can get my fire arrows on. Also he said if I wanted to send him out to get stuff and I said yes?
2 - the
darkmoon lady says my bride is waiting for me lolwhut? I actually have that bonfire where that chick in white was in anor londo so I guess ill go talk to her?

Vuze

20k key question:

Was I supposed to give the soul to the firekeeper? Feel like I just wasted 20k souls getting in and im not sure what just happened.
Doing so will
trigger a certain NPC to leave
and
make one of the endings unavailable.

Rhaknar

hmmm that white dress lady was just a covenent, she doesnt want to
marry me
!

also I told her
I cant fly
, did I fuck up?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I won't ever be able to return to console versions of this game after I "tried" the PC version on max@60 for 10 hours yesterday. fuck.

Syder

I've been noticing on various visits to Firelink that if I try to leave the main hub there's a fog wall that lasts about 30 seconds blocking the way out, like to the tower part and the outside in general. Is this an intentional choice or a bug?

Shredderi

I won't ever be able to return to console versions of this game after I "tried" the PC version on max@60 for 10 hours yesterday. fuck.

This is true. It is a huge difference.

I've been noticing on various visits to Firelink that if I try to leave the main hub there's a fog wall that lasts about 30 seconds blocking the way out, like to the tower part and the outside in general. Is this an intentional choice or a bug?

My guess is that it has something to do with loading the area.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs

I believe this is an intentional choice by the developers to make Firelink Shrine load faster by only loading the inside of the map, as players are often warping back to this location.

If you want to go outside then you have to wait for the rest of the map to load, which is when the fog gate disappears.

I've been having a great time with Dark Souls 3 after I got past my 'chokepoint'. I couldn't re-find the entrance to the Undead Settlement's sewers. My progress completely halted entirely for a while!

Does anyone else get into situations like this, where they have to kill every creature in an area and explore it thoroughly for a while before they can make progress?
I tend to do that expect when I run to the boss.

I'll have to when the DLC packs come around, but man the difference is so staggering.
It's not the graphics, and I don't even mind the framerate.

But the responsiveness of the controls is what seals the deal man, it's so quick and...well, RESPONSIVE that it's a joy to play.
On PS4 I have input lag that really messes me up sometimes.
On PC, no input lag at all.

Just for this point alone is the PC the superior one.

silva1991

20k key question:

It's to cure hollowing(and that prevents one of the endings)

make sure to atleast get the estus ring from that tower.

vac

Neo Member
where it that fire demon
you can kill with siegward? must have missed that

In the undead settlement, where you first meet him coming up the lift. Jump on the same lift and as it goes up, about halfway is another level you can jump to, he will be sitting around there.

takriel

I'll have to when the DLC packs come around, but man the difference is so staggering.
It's not the graphics, and I don't even mind the framerate.

But the responsiveness of the controls is what seals the deal man, it's so quick and...well, RESPONSIVE that it's a joy to play.
On PS4 I have input lag that really messes me up sometimes.
On PC, no input lag at all.

Just for this point alone is the PC the superior one.
I'll never understand people who can't see the difference between responsiveness at 30 vs 60 fps, man. But that's another debate.
PC version is clearly the way to go here.

_Legacy_

I'm at the
Cathedral
, I know that attacking the
giants in chains will nullify the peace deal I made with the giant archer
but will I be crossing paths with him again?

GavinGT

Banned
You know how the game queues up actions while you're rolling? Like if you drink a flask or slash while rolling, it will perform the action after the roll is done. Is that new to DS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom