• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
I've dinked around through about half the game with a few different chars in the JP version. I'm currently deciding what I want to do with my "real" US playthrough.

I may just stick with faith because that's what I do in every souls game, even though the damaging miracles are completely useless (and maybe they'll patch it).

Another fun character is the "assassin" mold -- intelligence spells combine dith dext weapons. Magic weapon buff is really good in this game, it lasts a very long time and adds quite a bit of damage.

Option three is skipping all the spell stuff and going pure quality.

GorillaJu

oh I didn't realize deprived got to be SL 1 with 10 in everything. That actually sounds good then.

Pro tip for the clubs/axes with warcry art (many of them do have it) -- if you have the warcry up, your charge R2 changes to a beastly new move that can really rek.

Yeah, some of the weapon arts are really good. Some not so hot, but there's a specific one I made a new character to try out. Can't wait :)

Thinking of hating all over myself by going Deprived and Offline mode first playthrough. My first playthrough of DS1 was offline due to my cheapness and it was quite the experience, hmmm, the choices.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, some of the weapon arts are really good. Some not so hot, but there's a specific one I made a new character to try out. Can't wait :)

I've found a few cool weapons (obtainable somewhat early on) that would be great to make a character around, most of them seem to be dex scaling weapons (or quality scaling) with high str requirements. I'm gonna go snap some pics and post them here with spoiler tags.

Unai

I still don't know exactly how I will build my character. I'm 100% sure I'm going DEX with a shield, probably using a katana as my main weapon because they always look good as fuck and a good bow as a secondary weapon. What I don't know is that if I want to use spells or miracles for buff and other effects or If I'll go 100% melee.

This will affect the class I'll choose.

Maybe I'll join #TeamDeprived and progress along the way.

GorillaJu

I've found a few cool weapons (obtainable somewhat early on) that would be great to make a character around, most of them seem to be dex scaling weapons (or quality scaling) with high str requirements. I'm gonna go snap some pics and post them here with spoiler tags.

I have some ideas on what you're talking about. Generally the dex weapons have some awesome looking weapon arts.

Zeliard

How's the scaling on DEX-based weapons in this one? I want to go Katana build again (possibly dual-wield) but don't want to be gimped in PvP like I was in Dark Souls 2.

Saw a vid of someone using the
Chaos Blade
to decent success in PvP. The battojutsu looks like a lot of fun.

Audioboxer

How's the scaling on DEX-based weapons in this one? I want to go Katana build again (possibly dual-wield) but don't want to be gimped in PvP like I was in Dark Souls 2.

Chaos Blade

They seem fine. A bleed build can work well in PVP from what I've seen.

By the way guyz, did no one see my post above? SERVERS ARE ONLINE!

Jobbs

Banned

Chaos Blade

You can get
ugichantatnaa or whatever
right at the start of the game and it's pretty strong. There seem to be a lot of good dex/quality options, but in the game's current state (unless they nerfed it recently without me noticing) the ultra great swords are really overpowering.
The fume ultra greatsword in particular has become very popular.

From what I've seen, dual wielding is of limited use as it never seems to do more DPS than just R1ing with your main hand. I admit I haven't tested it extensively, though.

Carcetti

Is the weapon that
returns FP on a kill
worth using? Or is the scaling not so hot for INT/FTH?

I used
self-made Chaos Broadsword as main weapon. Wasn't really worried about FP with third of Estus Flasks on Ash Estus. Rings used: pyromancy damage ring, better pyromancy damage ring, faster cast speed ring, less FP per cast but less hp ring. You can chuck a lot of fireballs with decent attunement.

Things are a lot easier with some starting classes compared to others -- especially if you're a newb.

Knight and Herald are by far the easiest to start with for newbies.

Deprived doesn't have the best stat distribution so I wouldn't recommend it if you have a plan and want to waste no points.

How come Knight is much easier than something like Mercenary? Is dex less viable at the start?

I'm not interested in magic and will probably let fashion decide my starting class so will go with Mercenary or Herald.

Kaibutsu

You can get
ugichantatnaa or whatever
right at the start of the game and it's pretty strong. There seem to be a lot of good dex/quality options, but in the game's current state (unless they nerfed it recently without me noticing) the ultra great swords are really overpowering.
The fume ultra greatsword in particular has become very popular.

From what I've seen, dual wielding is of limited use as it never seems to do more DPS than just R1ing with your main hand. I admit I haven't tested it extensively, though.

Hmm, and here I was thinking this would be the first souls game that I don't go heavy greatsword. Bloodborne I went holy blade, Dark Souls 2 I went curved dragon greatsword, & in my current 1 playthrough I'm using the Black Knight greatsword. Looks like I won't be going straight dex again lol.

UCBooties

Amazon is sending me the hardcover guide tomorrow but won't shit the game I pre-ordered at the same time until Thursday. It will arrive just in time for me to leave town for a few days.

I know I shouldn't be surprised by these fuckups any more but they still piss me off.

daammyy

DS is not the game you want a guide for.

Or rather, it's like following a guide for an SMT to the letter and then saying it wasn't that hard/you found everything with ease.
No duh, you only put your time in.

Yes exactly. Holy shit those hours put into Ds1. But yes I agree, my response was more towards no need to buy a guide seeing how good fextralife is.

Ferr986

Chaos Blade

But the
Chaos Blade
was OP as fuck in DS2.

Audioboxer

How come Knight is much easier than something like Mercenary? Is dex less viable at the start?

I'm not interested in magic and will probably let fashion decide my starting class so will go with Mercenary or Herald.

Knight is easy because high armour, 100% block shield and the straight sword is damn good.

I'm rolling one to do my solaire sunbro build. Now that online servers are a go. Shame that I don't think the weapon I need is until end game but there are lots of good straight swords.

Sylas

You get a 100% shield right off the bat with a Knight. Mercenary's weapons are pretty low-damage compared to good ol' sword swinging at the start.

Jobbs

Banned

knight with his longsword spamming R1 does as much or more damage as mercenary with his twinblades, and the knight has a sturdy shield so you can block all those early bosses and tough badguys and stuff without getting hurt.

herald is the other starting class that gets a full physical shield, and a heal spell to boot.

If you are a little nervous about playing hte game because you're a newb, I highly recommend starting either knight or herald, due in large part to their shields but also because they have nice armor and the herald has a heal spell

Soulflarz

Banned
Yes exactly. Holy shit those hours put into Ds1. But yes I agree, my response was more towards no need to buy a guide seeing how good fextralife is.

Hell, adding to this, DS isn't even hard :p

*throws bait*

someone back me up here, there's way harder series, and souls becomes quite normal once you get used to the style, aka by the time DS2 released for any of us who started with Demon.

E92 M3

I was an assassin for my first time. Fun starting class.

Hell, adding to this, DS isn't even hard :p

*throws bait*

someone back me up here, there's way harder series, and souls becomes quite normal once you get used to the style, aka by the time DS2 released for any of us who started with Demon.

Understanding the game definitely makes it easier, but that's true for everything in life. Nonetheless, I was still challenged in DS3 even as a veteran. Bloodborne had some tough challenges as well.

I was hoping this last souls game would have been significantly harder than DS2 scholar, it doesn't seem to look like it from the impressions though.

Sylas

I was hoping this last souls game would have been significantly harder than DS2 scholar, it doesn't seem to look like it from the impressions though.

It's more fair, imo, and if you've played most of the games up until this point it's kinda impossible to make them "hard" without being outright unfair.

A lot of the Souls difficulty came from not knowing what to expect. It's hard to keep that going 5 games in.

Soulflarz

Banned
Understanding the game definitely makes it easier, but that's true for everything in life. Nonetheless, I was still challenged in DS3 even as a veteran. Bloodborne had some tough challenges as well.

Not worried
I didn't have any trouble in bloodborne- as in I walked into many boss fights with 5 vials and won- until the defiled chalice.

*And paarl way underleveled.

J4g3r

Home from work and I managed to get tomorrow off too!

Just over 8 hours left...

vDNZM1D.gif

As someone who has only fully played through Bloodborne (first time getting into the series was earlier this year), what should I do concerning DS3? The game is preloading on my PC now, and I'm not sure what class to be really. Any suggestions?

Jobbs

Banned
don't be so quick to disregard the broadsword this time, guys. I actually really like it in DS3. The addition of stance arts has helped cover its weakness (long range poke) so it's a pretty badass weapon now, hard hitting and fast

Zeliard

But the
Chaos Blade
was OP as fuck in DS2.

Was it buffed at some point, like in the expansions (never played those)? I used the weapon quite heavily in my time with DS2 and there was never really the sense it was overpowered at all.

But either way, that weapon at least had the possibility of being infused. Where DS2's poor DEX scaling really hurt were with weapons like the Blacksteel Katana. Again, unless they buffed these things at some point.

E92 M3

As someone who has only fully played through Bloodborne (first time getting into the series was earlier this year), what should I do concerning DS3? The game is preloading on my PC now, and I'm not sure what class to be really. Any suggestions?

Knight is the easiest class to start if you want to use a shield.

Watched oroboro recking people with the scythe last night. I think that'll be a go to build for anyone who witnessed the ridiculous spin to win.

I've said this before, but it's all about being comfortable with the moveset :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom