• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoweee

Im hearing conflicting reports of whether DEX/INT builds (in other words, magic users) are viable.

Is sorcery worth it in this?

The simple answer is "No".

The longer answer is "Yes", if...

1) You've already beaten the game and know all of the fights and all of the locations for the few key pieces of equipment that are vital to making the build work, or are going to extensively rely on a guide to tell you a bunch of things.

2) You use a guide to understand how fucked a lot of the scaling rules are. Dex boosts casting speed, but the cast speed ring puts you very close to the caps alone, so it doesn't take much Dex to be wasted. Int scaling does almost nothing in the early game.

3) You resign yourself to being a Melee build during non-progress for the first chunk of the game. The starting Mailbreaker is actually pretty dope. Just put your first 13 or 14 points in Vigor for Max Hp.

Exploration as a new caster build is hard due to how limited the casts are compared to previous games, so you'll have harder time actually finding the gear you need.

The good news is that damage output of the Heavy and Great Heavy arrows is nuts, and you start with Heavy. The first few bosses can be very easy.

I just don't recommend playing as it for a first time build, but it can be pretty interesting on replays. It also sucks having to beeline it to the cast speed ring. I'll probably write something more detailed on how fucked Sorcery is in the spoiler thread. It does a hilarious amount of damage once the build comes online, but it is the screwiest difficulty and progress curve of any "intended" build in a Souls game. It almost feels as niche and weird as an Arcane build in BB.

Having it so you can fail NPC quests and miss out on some special items or weapons is A-OK in my book. Losing a vendor to some obscure crap kinda sucks.

You can give their ashes to the main vendor and she will inherit their inventory. This game is the anti-Dark Souls 1 with regards to accidentally fucking over vendors.

KHlover

Banned
game redeemed. after a long fight purple invader decides to stall until darwraiths have walked up the path leading to
abyss watcher
. host and me decide to fuck it at the same time and synchronuosly enter the boss room. after the fight we both "Toast" at the same time. what a bro

Onemic

DEX/INT probably because DEX speeds up spells. DEX/LUK because LUK increases bleeding damage and DEX weapons tend to be the ones that inflict that.

I thought the cast speed up that Dex does was not worth the investment? And doesnt Attunement affect cast speed as well?

Mogwai

I don't understand why From is nerfing ultra greatswords in a game that is more reliant on speed and swiftness than its' predecessors. Those weapons need to do devastating damage to counteract the fact that almost every enemy in the game can now jog circles around you during windup.

The sword I mentioned at the end there is what I've been using up until now. I'm currently at
the Profaned Capitol
and it seems borderline OP for its' weapon class.
That's the swordthat has the
"frost glow"?

You can give their ashes to the main vendor and she will inherit their inventory. This game is the anti-Dark Souls 1 with regards to accidentally fucking over vendors.

Hmm, makes me think they are actually not dead then. They've just been gone for a long ass time.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The second proper boss
(the cursed tree)
is fucking awesome. Incredible, perverted design, and just a nice strong take on a classic boss battle mechanic.

BTW, I can't decide whether to continue upgrading STR or DEX. Right now they're both sitting at level 16. I'm using a +3 Broadsword.

If I want to use the majority of the best and most interesting weapons in the game, what minimum STR/DEX levels should I aim for? Or am I doing myself a great disservice by not focusing on one or the other right now?

Raven117

Everything is viable if you're comfortable with it. I've been destroying with my DEX build. A lot of cocky STR players out there haha.

It looks like I may be going full DEX this go around. All accounts seem to say sorcery is underwhelming this time out of the gate.

1) You've already beaten the game and know all of the fights and all of the locations for the few key pieces of equipment that are vital to making the build work, or are going to extensively rely on a guide to tell you a bunch of things.

2) You use a guide to understand how fucked a lot of the scaling rules are. Dex boosts casting speed, but the cast speed ring puts you very close to the caps alone, so it doesn't take much Dex to be wasted. Int scaling does almost nothing in the early game.

3) You resign yourself to being a Melee build during non-progress for the first chunk of the game. The starting Mailbreaker is actually pretty dope. Just put your first 13 or 14 points in Vigor for Max Hp.

Exploration as a new caster build is hard due to how limited the casts are compared to previous games, so you'll have harder time actually finding the gear you need.

The good news is that damage output of the Heavy and Great Heavy arrows is nuts, and you start with Heavy. The first few bosses can be very easy.

I just don't recommend playing as it for a first time build, but it can be pretty interesting on replays. It also sucks having to beeline it to the cast speed ring. I'll probably write something more detailed on how fucked Sorcery is in the spoiler thread. It does a hilarious amount of damage once the build comes online, but it is the screwiest difficulty and progress curve of any "intended" build in a Souls game. It almost feels as niche and weird as an Arcane build in BB.

Thanks for the input. For every Souls game since the beginning I did a Dex/INT build. Katana's and Soul Arrows for days, son. But it seems the INT point allotment may not be worth it.

Jellie

At the 35 hour mark and would like to know how much % I'm done. Just beat A
ncient
W
yvern
. Yet to complete L
othric
C
astle

GulAtiCa

The second proper boss
(the cursed tree)
is fucking awesome. Incredible, perverted design, and just a nice strong take on a classic boss battle mechanic.

I love that boss. So satisfying to beat in co-op when me and another summon know what were doing. Makes the fight more fun.

It's when there is another summon & host just randomly attacking with no effect, that is when you know the fight is likely to not end well. (not exactly their fault, they both prob not used to this boss fully yet)

Mupod

I keep being tempted to go full str but I'm sticking with a quality build. Or I guess we should call it a refined build these days?

I've been playing around with my longbow lately and it does surprisingly good damage. Looking forward to finding a greatbow.

Maybesew

Is it me or is
the poison swamp area
incredibly hard to navigate? The first time around I could see loot on corpses to know I hadn't been there, but now that I've done that it's incredible hard to get my bearings and remmeber what direction I want to be moving in.

Ok very late game, need serious help with this boss.
Gundyr Redux, wtf was that shit? He just unleashed a constant barrage of attacks with zero openings other than one quick slash lest I get kicked in the face. After getting through about a third of his health he just went into an endless rampage where I couldn't even heal without getting hit again. What the hell am I supposed to do about this guy?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've never been so happy to see a bonfire, 70k souls at the bit with
all the archer knights before Ano
. I wiped a few times on them and it was touch and go if I could get my delicious souls back. RIP the bloodstain who listened to the liar :(

Jellie

95% maybe

Really? I was guessing
%.
Gundyr Redux, wtf was that shit? He just unleashed a constant barrage of attacks with zero openings other than one quick slash lest I get kicked in the face. After getting through about a third of his health he just went into an endless rampage where I couldn't even heal without getting hit again. What the hell am I supposed to do about this guy?
If he's in mid combo and you dodged far enough it's safe to heal and just after his leap attack. He doesn't really have many opportunities to hit him, I just rolled towards him as he swung, him then rolled away and repeated. Fast weapon helps.

So I boot the game up to continue on, 3 bosses later and I get invalid data? the fuck?.

I am reading it's happening to people who have been playing legit I really don't want to delete my save.

E92 M3

Is it me or is
the poison swamp area
incredibly hard to navigate? The first time around I could see loot on corpses to know I hadn't been there, but now that I've done that it's incredible hard to get my bearings and remmeber what direction I want to be moving in.

It's actually a lot easier to navigate the second time around for me. Break down into quadrants.

explodet

Just so I'm sure - in my research of Firelink Shrine, I couldn't find any NPC that
goes around murdering everybody like Yurt.
Is this truly the case? I can maybe tolerate a Lautrec, but if somebody
kills the Fire Keeper/Shrine Maiden/Andre
then they've got to go.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
There are no mandatory summons for NPC quests this time around are there? It doesn't seem like it since stuff is happening with NPCs despite me not summoning. That said...
Sirris suggested I summon her if I see her sign :/
I really prefer not summoning help for bosses first time around.

For Sirris, you need to be summoned by her to continue her quest. It's weird. One of the NPC quests do require you to have them with you in a certain boss fight, and it's basically automatic. They just walk-in by themselves.

I've barely touched co-op in previous games, but from what I can remember you didn't get to keep all souls if you died while in another world. That's basically game breaking :/

Onemic

So you'd only apply this to a sorcery build? How do Miracles/dark/pyro builds fare?

Also, can you manually aim magic in this?

Neoweee

I remember going through all of Dark Souls 1 with no patches.

That was rooooough.

It wasn't rough if you were using all of the things that were broken. I remember the "My character looks like a Naz'Gul!" days, of everyone using the Lightning Spear, Gold-Hemmed Robes, and broken-as-fuck pyromancies.

sora87

Jeez, people are just dying so fast during the
abyss walkers
fight.
I've been summoned for it like 3 times and did it all 3 but not for my world no sir :(

TitusTroy

I just reached
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
...can anyone tell me how far into the game I am?...50%?...hopefully there's still a lot left as I'm loving every second of this game

Mupod

Doesn't
Siegwerd
heavily/blatantly imply that you should just talk to him?

heh, when he said that I was like 'yeah right'. Decided to give it a shot and it turns out he is one hell of a bro.

In the swamp area
he apparently took out one of the crabs for me all the way from where he is.

From
Sieg's dialogue ('you were supposed to wait') after engaging the fire demon I'm guessing you need to do something extra in order to get the giant's help for that fight? We beat the demon no problem but I'm curious what you have to do. Maybe go back down after befriending the giant and talk to Sieg again?

Acosta

Guys, I have a super noob question and I can't find the answer.

I went with the idea of creating a warrior/mage (high dex, high endurance, high intelligence, a fast glass cannon). But it´s the first time I go with magic in DS and I don't understand very well how to use it (I'm not really well versed in the saga at all, it just clicked with Bloodborne and I have every game.. well).

Anyway, I went with assassin, that had a spell ready. Once I was able, bought another spell (soul dart), but I can't figure how to equip in the slot, I can't deselect the spell I already have. I read something about attuning it in a bonfire, but I don't find any option to attune anything.

Worst thing is that messing with the menu made me discard the item... 1000 souls to the trash.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Neoweee

So you'd only apply this to a sorcery build? How do Miracles/dark/pyro builds fare?

You can't really start off as an offensive-casting Miracle guy (as you couldn't in DS2), so some of the complaints are moot. You're kind of forced into a much-better hybrid build here.

Pyromancies are good. Early scaling is *not* fucked. In DS1 and DS2, pyros were balanced by having more limited casts, but the other schools have been brought down to that level of limited casts.

Dark is gone as its own class of magic. There's just some spells of the other schools that are dark elemental.

Jintor

I don't mind fighting in this swamp so much but fuck man it's really disconcerting. I'm lost as fuck, can't find the third fire thing I gotta snuff out

Probably tweaking them. Some better, some worse.

They clearly didn't spend much time testing them out pre-launch, which is how FUGS got through so incredibly broken.

There is one Greatsword I like to use.... But my broadsword at the same damn upgrade +4 is so much better than it.

Make sure there isn't a follow up attack before you decide to hit him and try to dodge reactively and not preemptively. The openings only allow for one hit in most cases.

Have fun!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what am I missing with
Ancient Wyvrn
? I assumed it was a gimmick fight of
traversing the level until you get to the spot over his head and you would do a jumping attack for a instant kill or a cutscene or something, but I just...fell to my death
. So, whut? o_O

Ive done a few other tries, explored the level and dont see anything else to do?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
dark sword is good because

This weapon can be Infused and Buffed.
This weapon is unique because of it's straight sword moveset, with greatsword Weapon Arts.
Has A Scaling in STR at +5 when infused with heavy.

GulAtiCa

I've barely touched co-op in previous games, but from what I can remember you didn't get to keep all souls if you died while in another world. That's basically game breaking :/

What? I never really played Dark Souls 1, but Dark Souls 2, 3 and even Bloodborne were not like this at all. If you die, you keep your souls/etc.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Sorcery is very workable with IMO. It trivializes the first area, and essentially major drops off in quality after that BUT...If you are used to being a caster (ie, caster paradise DSII), you already know how to make this build work. No you can't manually aim. But just standing in front of a certain boss that required actual targeting of weak spots
Greatwood
, and I still could hit it with my Soul Arrows with ease.

Just pump Attunement and Intelligence like crazy. Archmage builds from DSII are a thing of the past. You need to completely master ONE style of magic or it not gonna cut it.

Pick two melee weapons that are light enough. Infuse one with Raw ASAP. It'll do you good. Once you get to Road of Sacrifices (and it'll be easy and quick enough), get the Sage's Ring and go into Farron Keep for the Sage's Coal. Now you can infuse the second weapon with magic. Now you have a good damage dealer for magic resistant enemies, and can melt everything else. With lots of Ashen Estus, you can Great Soul Arrow, and Great Heavy Soul Arrow your way to fun, joy and pleasant murdertimes with your new enemy pals. If you need easy levels to pump up Int early, equip a bow (lol stats dont matter), go to the Top of the Tower bonfire. Go down the stairs, wait till the knight walks out and pop a few arrows into the dragon. He'll turn around, burn everything down and you get like 500 souls. Continue down the path until he breathes a second time, and he'll kill all the enemies in fromt of him for another 500 ish souls. 1000 souls in like a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom