• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylas

So you'd only apply this to a sorcery build? How do Miracles/dark/pyro builds fare?

Also, can you manually aim magic in this?

Pyromancy is incredibly powerful. I've utterly destroyed late-game bosses with it and turned what a lot of people say are difficult fights into trivial things.

No manual spell aiming.

I don't mind fighting in this swamp so much but fuck man it's really disconcerting. I'm lost as fuck, can't find the third fire thing I gotta snuff out
Just a heads up, you may have made the same mistake I did:

Did you get the two on the left in the first area before the bonfire? I messed up and just went past the Darkwraith every time, skipping the first one. Otherwise the third shouldn't be too hard to find if you keep rolling on course.

explodet

It wasn't rough if you were using all of the things that were broken. I remember the "My character looks like a Naz'Gul!" days, of everyone using the Lightning Spear, Gold-Hemmed Robes, and broken-as-fuck pyromancies.
Oh for sure. I'm just remembering the painful early game grind. Not to mention the more difficult Twinkling Titanite farm.

AHA-Lambda

I'm early still but have just beaten
the tree
and am using a broadsword, I should probably invest in something better soon I'm guessing
So, ok 2 questions regarding weapons

1) what is the +/- number next to the base number on physical attacks?

2) what's a good weapon for me to invest in upgrade wise at this point in the game? I don't want to waste my time and resources upgrading something comparatively poor. Fanciest looking things I have so far is a Claymore and the Ithryill Straight Sword (the icy one)

I didn't get to play much last night and I'm still very early in the game before the second boss. I believe the area is called the High Wall of Lothric. My character is a mercenary and the strongest weapon that I have is the Long Sword. Do you all recommend using the two-handed stance for this weapon or do you all prefer the sword and shield combo?

myco666

what am I missing with
Ancient Wyvrn
? I assumed it was a gimmick fight of
traversing the level until you get to the spot over his head and you would do a jumping attack for a instant kill or a cutscene or something, but I just...fell to my death
. So, whut? o_O

Ive done a few other tries, explored the level and dont see anything else to do?

You do it exactly like that. Just wait for it to stop breathing fire and stop moving so that you can hit the head. Took me few tries to hit it also.

J-Rod

So I boot the game up to continue on, 3 bosses later and I get invalid data? the fuck?.

I am reading it's happening to people who have been playing legit I really don't want to delete my save.

If you're on ps4, you may can get lucky and grab what's in cloud storage. Usually it is a little older than your current local save.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You do it exactly like that. Just wait for it to stop breathing fire and stop moving so that you can hit the head. Took me few tries to hit it also.

weird dunno why it didnt work the first time. I did a running jump time time and it worked /shrug. neat idea, not all bosses have to be the same 1 v 1 dodge fest I guess

Astral

Does anyone know what weapons have at least an A scaling with DEX? I'm having troubled deciding what weapons to use and wanna decide based on their scaling once I make them Sharp.

Make sure there isn't a follow up attack before you decide to hit him and try to dodge reactively and not preemptively. The openings only allow for one hit in most cases.

Have fun!

Thing is I can't even do that.
I can read him and dodge his attacks on reaction and survive him for ages, I can hand stage one his ass too. But as soon he hits stage 2 it's a different story. I can still read him and survive him easily (second try) but even with that, every time I go for an attack he follows up with the foot in stage 2. I just don't have the flasks to survive trading blows like that long enough.

Ravager61

Cathedral of the Deep
is absolutely brutal with the ambushes. You really have to go slow and learn where all the enemies come from. Frustrating area but rewarding when you figure things out.

Can anyone else feel me on this.

I platinumed Bloodborne.

I havnt used a shield yet at all in Dark Souls 3 and I relied on it heavier throughout every game previous. The shield was a staple of every build!

Anyone else cut shields since playing Bloodborne?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I didn't get to play much last night and I'm still very early in the game before the second boss. I believe the area is called the High Wall of Lothric. My character is a mercenary and the strongest weapon that I have is the Long Sword. Do you all recommend using the two-handed stance for this weapon or do you all prefer the sword and shield combo?

I switch it up. I enjoy backstabbing an enemy, quickly switching to two-handed, and strong attack weapon art them as they're standing up. Very effective.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

I platinumed Bloodborne.

I havnt used a shield yet at all in Dark Souls 3 and I relied on it heavier throughout every game previous. The shield was a staple of every build!

Yep. Haven't blocked and parried anything in this game yet. You don't need too. It's all about the sweet dodging. It's superior in every way too.

Jintor

Just a heads up, you may have made the same mistake I did:

Did you get the two on the left in the first area before the bonfire? I messed up and just went past the Darkwraith every time, skipping the first one. Otherwise the third shouldn't be too hard to find if you keep rolling on course.

thanks for heads up. I
lit up the two braziers either size of the door, there's a third one a little way away, have I run past one?

Nephtes

I platinumed Bloodborne.

After Bloodborne, I went through DS2 no shield. It felt fine. I pumped adaptability for good roll invincibility and I mowed through the game.
I tried it in DS3 and I got my ass handed to me. I hide behind the shield now... :C

GulAtiCa

I platinumed Bloodborne.

Same for the most part. I do still use it for some enemies, but I mostly 2H weapons or keep my Pyro hand out. But I do still keep it equipped, as sometimes I will get destroyed if IO just try to roll away and not block. lol

But, I also went back to Dark Souls 2: SotFS play through before DK3 and at certain point got rid of the shield.

Elixist

ive played with it for about 15 hours, the 1 handed is stronger, because its attacks are fast and the utility with the shield imo. the 2 handed doesnt do much more dmg, light atk is ok but the strong attack is nice cause it hits in an sweep aoe. the arts are ok, but i like my heal spell instead. use both tho, but if i had to pick 1 it would sword and board.

Onemic

You can't really start off as an offensive-casting Miracle guy (as you couldn't in DS2), so some of the complaints are moot. You're kind of forced into a much-better hybrid build here.

Pyromancies are good. Early scaling is *not* fucked. In DS1 and DS2, pyros were balanced by having more limited casts, but the other schools have been brought down to that level of limited casts.

Dark is gone as its own class of magic. There's just some spells of the other schools that are dark elemental.

Pyromancy is incredibly powerful. I've utterly destroyed late-game bosses with it and turned what a lot of people say are difficult fights into trivial things.

No manual spell aiming.

Sorcery is very workable with IMO. It trivializes the first area, and essentially major drops off in quality after that BUT...If you are used to being a caster (ie, caster paradise DSII), you already know how to make this build work. No you can't manually aim. But just standing in front of a certain boss that required actual targeting of weak spots
Greatwood
, and I still could hit it with my Soul Arrows with ease.

Just pump Attunement and Intelligence like crazy. Archmage builds from DSII are a thing of the past. You need to completely master ONE style of magic or it not gonna cut it.

Pick two melee weapons that are light enough. Infuse one with Raw ASAP. It'll do you good. Once you get to Road of Sacrifices (and it'll be easy and quick enough), get the Sage's Ring and go into Farron Keep for the Sage's Coal. Now you can infuse the second weapon with magic. Now you have a good damage dealer for magic resistant enemies, and can melt everything else. With lots of Ashen Estus, you can Great Soul Arrow, and Great Heavy Soul Arrow your way to fun, joy and pleasant murdertimes with your new enemy pals. If you need easy levels to pump up Int early, equip a bow (lol stats dont matter), go to the Top of the Tower bonfire. Go down the stairs, wait till the knight walks out and pop a few arrows into the dragon. He'll turn around, burn everything down and you get like 500 souls. Continue down the path until he breathes a second time, and he'll kill all the enemies in fromt of him for another 500 ish souls. 1000 souls in like a minute.

Good, good. Im actually doing a hybrid pyro/melee build(lvl 35 right now). Just making sure Im not gimping myself. That ring will definitely come in handy. I'm currently at Farron Keep, so I'll go back to that area and look for it when I come back from work.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I platinumed Bloodborne.

I used one extensively in my first playthrough but now I only use parrying shields. To parry. Dodging is just more fun and rewarding.

Maybe I'm being too greedy at the moment. In the undead settlement after helping
the onion knight
now I have half health and no estus. I decided to leave some messages around hoping someone would rate them so I can get my health back up and jump down this long well I see. Not even sure I would survive it to be honest.

Using the rest emote just waiting to see.

Guys, I have a super noob question and I can't find the answer.

I went with the idea of creating a warrior/mage (high dex, high endurance, high intelligence, a fast glass cannon). But it´s the first time I go with magic in DS and I don't understand very well how to use it (I'm not really well versed in the saga at all, it just clicked with Bloodborne and I have every game.. well).

Anyway, I went with assassin, that had a spell ready. Once I was able, bought another spell (soul dart), but I can't figure how to equip in the slot, I can't deselect the spell I already have. I read something about attuning it in a bonfire, but I don't find any option to attune anything.

Worst thing is that messing with the menu made me discard the item... 1000 souls to the trash.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Are you attuning them at a bonfire?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just got invaded for the first time, and it was a double KO >_>

ogbg

Are they in the same area or are the areas small because 3 bosses left seems like a decent % left.

You have
2 areas including Lothric Castle
after where you are now. Yeah I think my estimate was pretty bad actually, sorry

I platinumed Bloodborne.

Using a shield is a sure-fire way to die when fighting some of the bosses -- I'm looking at you (late-ish boss) C
hampion
G
undyr

That fight took me about 8 tries and I was so pissed after winning that I used the Squat emote to shit on the bosses corpse. Fucking BS fight. >:[

daninthemix

Getting real tired of being staggered by every little mouse fart. I prefer Dark Souls a huge amount. I think it was the only game where FROM's design sensibilities and my play sensibilities were in alignment.

Sullichin

I've barely touched co-op in previous games, but from what I can remember you didn't get to keep all souls if you died while in another world. That's basically game breaking :/

Game breaking what lmao
It's always been this way. You don't lose anything if you die as a friendly

The only thing they changed is if you die as a red eye invader. Now, your bloodstain will be where you died in their world, instead of where you used the orb in yours. Pretty cool change.

Thing is I can't even do that.
I can read him and dodge his attacks on reaction and survive him for ages, I can hand stage one his ass too. But as soon he hits stage 2 it's a different story. I can still read him and survive him easily (second try) but even with that, every time I go for an attack he follows up with the foot in stage 2. I just don't have the flasks to survive trading blows like that long enough.

If he finishes a combo there will be a pause and you'll have a moment to get in a hit and if you timed it right you can dodge the back kick. I think you can attack him after his leap move as well. There are a lot of variations he can use and as hard as you try it's pretty difficult to dodge everything. It's a tricky fight

jett

D-Member
I haven't been invaded a single time, do I need to be "kindled" to be invaded? How do you invade in this game btw?

p.s: I've recently reached the swap FYI: I see a ladder in the Way of Blue covenant room, how do I reach it? (where you get the standard in the castle) If it's post swamp content, just let me know and don't say any more. :p

Quick query:

Anyone have any experience with the Great Scythe? I'm wondering if it's like the amazing gs of 1 or the nearly useless gs of 2. I'll skip using it if it's got those wonky hit requirements from ds2, but it would be a neat throwback for me since it was the first weapon I finished ds1 with.

I know I could just find out, but I only have the one sharp gem. And not a lot of titanite either.

I alternate between the Uchigatana and Great Scythe. The Great Scythe feels good in this game. 1 hand R2 is great for clearing out crowds.

Rhaknar

these wizards that
summon the black phantoms
in the
dragon zone
, one time
it summoned havel
but I died. Is that how you get the
havel set
? because he keeps
summoning stupid knights
now and not
havel
;_;

Sullichin

Pretty sure I'm right about this lol...
selling consumable souls to the shrine maiden gives you as many souls as using them. So if you wanted to use them just to buy stuff from her, it's a little faster to sell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom