• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else on PS4 find that after fully blocking an attack with the shield, it fails to register your attack input for a second?

With the way attack-queuing works, spamming it isn't really an option

Wish I could put block on L2. My L1 is sticky, and its not as comfortable a button to hold down for any extended period as L2 is.

I... kinda liked Farron's Keep. *hangs head*

I figured it was the least offensive poison bog area going, mainly because the poison damage is pretty negligible this time around.
Less gauntlet, more open exploration as well, felt a bit like something you'd do in a Zelda game to open a dungeon.

Derpot

I finished the game! \o/

In fact, I haven't beaten the Nameless King yet ;v;

Okay, I need to take a break and think about all this lol

Mupod

Idk I just got instasummoned for Abyss Watcher at Lv. 53. In the last few hours during farming him I always got summoned within a minute or two at Lv 38. 38 is totally within range for
Abyss Watcher

where were you putting down your sign? I only had any luck leaving mine next to the bonfire.

Dimmle

I figured it was the least offensive poison bog area going, mainly because the poison damage is pretty negligible this time around.
Less gauntlet, more open exploration as well, felt a bit like something you'd do in a Zelda game to open a dungeon.

Yeah, I feel like I didn't necessarily follow the prescribed order of fires. And there are so many different little enemy biomes to discover/run from. I could take or leave the swamp muck but the design is interesting.

TitusTroy

Not sure if this was posted yet, but new patch coming this Monday for PC version:

CgFutZnVIAEJ0Bh.jpg:large

the Greatsword has been my weapon of choice for the past 2 Dark Souls games...I hope they aren't planning on nerfing it

Jobbs

Banned
I'm just entering the place I stopped at in Jp... The pretty place with the doll wall
Breaking new ground!!!

I feel like my broad sword ain't cutting it so much lately. Can't decide if I should switch... Was eyeing the executioners great sword.

Yeah, I feel like I didn't necessarily follow the prescribed order of fires. And there are so many different little enemy biomes to discover/run from. I could take or leave the swamp muck but the design is interesting.

I loved exploring that area but fuck the enemy that keeps dive kicking you into submission.

No one knows?

Yeah you need to be kindled to be invaded. To invade you need a red eye orb, an NPC leaning on a throne at Firelink will give you some, and he can lead to a full eye orb (infinite uses) if you follow his quest.

And yeah, the area you're on about is post swamp content, you'll know when you should go there.

thanks for heads up. I
lit up the two braziers either size of the door, there's a third one a little way away, have I run past one?
So you
lit two on opposite sides of the door?
Then yes you skipped one

When you leave the first bonfire to enter the swamp, there's those islands to the left you follow obviously. Once you go across like 3 islands (maybe 4) there should be one right in front of you. That's the one I missed. The way I originally went for the next one was you just keep following those islands til they run out, then you just go straight and you'll find ground. There's a tower with a Darkwraith. You run by him in the same circle you were following with the islands and you'll find more islands with dumb noodle head things and the next hill to climb. I believe that's the one that leads to the second bonfire

Apologies for not responding sooner

I really like that area :O

I can't say you're wrong, I just hated everything about it. It felt poorly and lazily designed, the enemies were just annoying, and it's decidedly ugly. Something I thought I'd never say about a From game, since making ugly beautiful is their thing.

I was trying to co-op with a friend last night and before we figured out the password thing, someone random summoned me literally just to have me take out the
three giant skeleton-ish mob
. Dude actually led me over there, stepped back and turned on his mic to tell me to kill them.

Anyone else on PS4 find that after fully blocking an attack with the shield, it fails to register your attack input for a second?

With the way attack-queuing works, spamming it isn't really an option

Wish I could put block on L2. My L1 is sticky, and its not as comfortable a button to hold down for any extended period as L2 is.

You can just switch it in the system accessibility settings

-Ryn

Banned
Is there a particular mechanic for fighting larger enemies this time around? With the
Giant Crabs
for example, sometimes they will fall down after I attack them. Is that me hitting them in a specific spot or just a critical hit?

Any help would be great thanks!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
K
ing
of the
S
torm
lolwhut? o_O

but seriously... what? Game sure is easy guys, super casual videogame

Rizzi

I have complaints about this game that I want to vent.
I dunno, if you're super sensitive to area descriptions don't click on the spoiler.
So far it kinda feels like the "we just threw a bunch of ideas we've totally never used before together" of Souls game.
We've got a castle area with a dragon that breathes fire on a bunch of enemies, check. Old village full enemies, check. Generic forest area, check. Cathedral that you have to climb around from the outside, check. Ugly poison swamp that you have to wade through,check. Catacombs with bullshit re-spawning skeletons, you betcha. I fully anticipate there to be a generic lava level at some stage.

Just my two cents.

Dimmle

I can't say you're wrong, I just hated everything about it. It felt poorly and lazily designed, the enemies were just annoying, and it's decidedly ugly. Something I thought I'd never say about a From game, since making ugly beautiful is their thing.

You must have played a prettier version of Dark Souls 1 and 2 because I can name quite a few areas that are ugly made ugly. I'd say that's a From staple.

jett

D-Member
Yeah you need to be kindled to be invaded. To invade you need a red eye orb, an NPC leaning on a throne at Firelink will give you some, and he can lead to a full eye orb (infinite uses) if you follow his quest.

And yeah, the area you're on about is post swamp content, you'll know when you should go there.

Thanks man.

ExVicis

Uh oh, I'm at the Lake and
was I supposed to kill Horace? I shot him with an arrow before entering, maybe he wasn't unfriendly until I did.

MilkBeard

Yeah I don't get the complaints about it, to be honest. You can run from most of the enemies. The actual poisonous/slow going part is limited to certain areas as well.

Fhtagn

Deacons of the Deep
is BY FAR the easiest boss fight of any Souls game, I think. It was easier than Iudex Gundyr.

Depends a lot on what level you are when you hit them. I had to no shield two hand a long weapon to crowd control them because I ended up there early. It's a DPS race against instant death if you don't kill them fast enough.

Not that it was hard exactly, but it was certainly not Covetous Demon level easy.

MilkBeard

I was trying to co-op with a friend last night and before we figured out the password thing, someone random summoned me literally just to have me take out the
three giant skeleton-ish mob
. Dude actually led me over there, stepped back and turned on his mic to tell me to kill them.

Forest of the Fallen Giants says hi(IMO the ugliest Souls area). Also, in fact, the forest from the original Dark Souls. Had some of the ugliest graphics in the game, and was just a big open field with enemies standing in it. Did you forget those areas?

Uh oh, I'm at the Lake and
was I supposed to kill Horace? I shot him with an arrow before entering, maybe he wasn't unfriendly until I did.

You're good.

I dunno, if you're super sensitive to area descriptions don't click on the spoiler.
So far it kinda feels like the "we just threw a bunch of ideas we've totally never used before together" of Souls game.
We've got a castle area with a dragon that breathes fire on a bunch of enemies, check. Old village full enemies, check. Generic forest area, check. Cathedral that you have to climb around from the outside, check. Ugly poison swamp that you have to wade through,check. Catacombs with bullshit re-spawning skeletons, you betcha. I fully anticipate there to be a generic lava level at some stage.

Just my two cents.

This made me laugh because.. reasons. You'll see.

Just my two cents.

I'd be lying if I didn't stop at one point and consider that Lothric was basically the Dark Souls equivalent to New Super Mario Bros U's world theming.
You've seen it all before only now it's a bit prettier and ever so slightly different!

I mean it works but I was a bit underwhelmed for the most part.

The ambushes in general are a bit OTT. Literally 50% of the shinies seem to trigger an ambush.

FROM are reduced to basically parodying themselves at this point.

every chest was a mimic

i seriously think this game has double all the other games mimics combined. it's absurd lol

When can I join that Covenant? I'm still in Lothric's castle exploring.

You could join since the Settlement but you can't offer Sunlight Medals till
Lothric Castle

taybul

P
ontiff
down! Hardest fight so far. Also one of those where you find that right strategy it simplifies the fight so much.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
can you finish the game and still continue? can I leave this
nameless king
horseshit for later?

Soulflarz

Banned
Hmm that's kinda clever, thanks for telling me :p
Anytime!

I love this series but From has pushed the current formula of the combat system as far as it can go. Start adding in moves and more complexity and you've got yourself very slow ninja gaiden lol (which is the closest thing to an action game analog to Souls, not DMC. not sure why others are bringing that game up.)

Would love to see them try their hand at a more complex action game. I think they've learned a lot since fucking Ninja Blade lol

Agreed, because the variations in this combat is either...er
Basically, they can make it more an action game, or make every action more weighted, but at the moment, many souls veterans aren't finding a challenge in this...?

nameless king
horseshit for later?

Yes.
In fact, you can beat the final boss and still select all the endings if you save scum.

Ogawa-san

every chest was a mimic

i seriously think this game has double all the other games mimics combined. it's absurd lol
It'll sound like an exaggeration, but
I'm pretty sure 1/3 of the chests I found were mimics. Hell, there's even a place with two side by side

nameless king
horseshit for later?
Yep, same way it works in DS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom