• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

J4g3r

Was it buffed at some point, like in the expansions? I used the weapon quite heavily in my time with DS2 and there was never really the sense it was overpowered at all.

But either way, that weapon at least had the possibility of being infused. Where DS2's poor DEX scaling really hurt were with weapons like the Blacksteel Katana.

Yeah, buffed multiple times with patches.

This video sums it up well.

Ferr986

Was it buffed at some point, like in the expansions (never played those)? I used the weapon quite heavily in my time with DS2 and there was never really the sense it was overpowered at all.

But either way, that weapon at least had the possibility of being infused. Where DS2's poor DEX scaling really hurt were with weapons like the Blacksteel Katana. Again, unless they buffed these things at some point.

It got buffed but it was already really good pre patch.

Good scaling (even if DEX scaling was kinda shit) good base damage, reach, and the most important, high counter damage.

If you hit someone with a counter it did insane damage. I think it was the counter that got buffed.

Got my key from GMG at 9am today! I will be ready to go tonight, got the whole week off work and knowing me I'll probably 100% the game by the time I go back lol.

Zeliard

It got buffed but it was already really good pre patch. Good scaling (even if DEX scaling was kinda shit) good base damage, reach, and the most important, high counter damage. If you hit someone with a counter it did insane damage. I think it was the counter that got buffed.

Always loved its moveset (all the katanas really). I'm happy to hear DEX scaling seems solid here, as I've heavily preferred going with a nimble, pure DEX build over STR weapons or magic dating back to Demon's Souls.

Also, I can't express how happy I am that Soul Memory doesn't govern online play anymore.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I myself, do notice the framepacing, but it never posed a problem for getting my platinum. I enjoyed the game a lot and never thought it's as bad as people said it was.

This said, this will be the first time I play a Souls game @ 60fps on my PC.

So IDK, I may vomit or get sick or something if I play bloodborne after playing DS3 on PC.

:p

I noticed the frame pacing in Bloodborne instantly, it was also my first 30fps game so it really slapped me around the face with all around choppiness. I had just bought a PS4 but I'd only played The Last of Us which was 60fps most of the time. For me the game felt like it was dropping under 30fps constantly, I initially thought it was running at about 25fps until the Digital Foundry video where they discovered the constant frame pacing issue which does mimick frame rate drops. Certain areas also dropped under 30fps (Old Yarnham). I enjoyed and finished Bloodborne but the frame pacing really did hurt my enjoyment of it and I can't believe they didn't fix it for DS3.

I can honestly say I would have skipped Dark Souls III had the PC port been bad, but after reading Durante's article I knew it was solid, and after patch 1.3 it's almost perfect and I can't wait to experience it in all its glory.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HOMY SHIY THE HYPE IS CONTAINGOUS PFUCK EL

GorillaJu

How's the scaling on DEX-based weapons in this one? I want to go Katana build again (possibly dual-wield) but don't want to be gimped in PvP like I was in Dark Souls 2.

Saw a vid of someone using the
Chaos Blade
to decent success in PvP. The battojutsu looks like a lot of fun.

they're some of the better scaling dex weapons. There's a late game katana that's really good.

wamberz1

So is magic any different this time around or is it the same standard affair? Went strength in ds1 and agil in ds2 so thinking of going full mage this time around

Audioboxer

So is magic any different this time around or is it the same standard affair? Went strength in ds1 and agil in ds2 so thinking of going full mage this time around

Hybrid builds suffer. You really need to go all in for magic to git gud. As in really high INT stat.

It doesn't seem anywhere near as fragile as some are suggesting though, just not totally ez-mode. Also with Pyro it scales off of int and faith now, so no more just upgrading a glove and destroying at low stats.

daammyy

Hell, adding to this, DS isn't even hard :p

*throws bait*

someone back me up here, there's way harder series, and souls becomes quite normal once you get used to the style, aka by the time DS2 released for any of us who started with Demon.

I'm with you. The hardest thing for me was finding secrets, the illusionary walls and stuff. I'm not a huge fan on how those things were implemented. But it could also have been me trying to rush the game and not taking my time studying the areas or w/e

Auctopus

Just a heads up, I know it's been a no go for a lot of spoiler-avoiders recently but there is a user on the Console Screenshot thread posting screens from what I assume is the last area in the game (I.e. I've played a lot of the game and haven't seen it).

Audioboxer

The postman, he...... he never came GAF.

He never came :(

Time to sleep for 24 hours

image.php

Sorry Bro.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
The waiting and anticipation has me on the verge frenzy.
Probably still wont get to dig my feet in good until 11pm tues or 12am weds. Fuuu amazon and ups slow shipping even though the warehouse is less than 20 mins from my house.
I cant take it !!!

tumblr_mgxvhkkJeE1qcpwmwo5_r1_400.gif

Question: Is this 100% available from Gamestop now/today? I'll go buy a copy and return my Amazon one when it comes it. I'm in Albany, NY

You get a 100% shield right off the bat with a Knight. Mercenary's weapons are pretty low-damage compared to good ol' sword swinging at the start.

Knight is easy because high armour, 100% block shield and the straight sword is damn good.

I'm rolling one to do my solaire sunbro build. Now that online servers are a go. Shame that I don't think the weapon I need is until end game but there are lots of good straight swords.

knight with his longsword spamming R1 does as much or more damage as mercenary with his twinblades, and the knight has a sturdy shield so you can block all those early bosses and tough badguys and stuff without getting hurt.

herald is the other starting class that gets a full physical shield, and a heal spell to boot.

If you are a little nervous about playing hte game because you're a newb, I highly recommend starting either knight or herald, due in large part to their shields but also because they have nice armor and the herald has a heal spell

Cheers, was just wondering since I couldn't see it in the stats but I see what you mean now.

Will (as always) try to use any shield mostly for parrying but I'm not ashamed to admit that lots of blocking has saved me many times in the previous games, lol. I've finished all the previous games several times each so that's not an issue in itself; I've just never started with a dex build before. Always went for STR or quality for first playthroughs but perhaps this time it's time to be different. BB made me appreciate dodging, so for my latest DS1 playthrough I did a lot more light armor, two-handing and rolling than ever before

Samaritan

This wait is going to be the end of me. Considering how much DSIII ties in with all the previous games in the series, it wouldn't hurt to brush up on some lore. Any video suggestions besides the obvious ENB/Vaatividya stuff?

ISee

The postman, he...... he never came GAF.

He never came :(

I had the same problem during the bloodborne release...
In the end I had to buy the game online (game was sold out everywhere else) and send my amazon copy back (which arrived three days late).

This time I preordered on steam.

oroboros

So... Miracles or spells for secondary use in a melee focused character? I still can't decide.

The only spells I ever liked to use on a melee playthrough were the Heals and the spell that removes poison buildup since that is usually annoying. So I say miracles all the way unless you like the weapon buffs from sorcery better. I honestly don't like any spells on a melee build though because I hate spending points there and also having to carry and switch to a chime or staff in the middle of a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom