• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Dark Sword a straight or broad sword? Wiki says Straight but it looks huge in videos I have seen.

Where can I find one?

from a darkwraith which happens to be the mob with the farming spot i just posted

Ferr986

I'm using that right now. It looks amazing.

/jelaous.

Honestly, this game seems really good for fashion souls. Make me want to rush it just to make new characters, but I also want to take it really slow and savour it all (right now I have almost 20 hours after
Cathedral of Deep
, a couple of them are AFKing though.

Demoskinos

Question about crystal weapons. If I remember right in old Dark Souls games crystal weapons couldn't be repaired and shattered after the endurance wore down right? Do the crystal weapons in this work the same? Cause the descriptions on the gems dont say anything about that and seeing as it scales with INT i'd like to use that if I won't have to worry about losing my Uchi.

Damn, the Road
of Sacrifices
is a bitch. Huge area and it doesn't seem like there's a
bonfire before the boss
. So packed with enemies too...

Damn.

eot

Banned
Only an hour in, but discovering I have to warp from the hub to get anywhere was a huge bummer :( also not a fan of the colour palette. It looks like "Blood Souls".

Phenomena

Question about an area/enemy about 7 hours in.
Should I kill the giant inside the Cleansing Chapel? Or can I befriend him like the guy in Undead Settlement?

Buburibon

Just got to
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
after beating
8 bosses
, and exploring their respective areas. I can already see some mighty interesting,
and familiar architectural marvels in the distance still somewhat covered by the elements
. In any case, I have a feeling
I'm about 3/4 of the way through the game, but friends tell me I'm barely halfway there
. What would you guys and gals who have seen it all say is the more accurate estimate? Thanks! :p

dlauv

What a fun game. I wasn't even hyped for it due to series fatigue. It really was the accumulation of all lessons learned with polish to match set to some Greatest Hits level design (they all kind of go through similar tropes anyway).

I'm excited for the inevitable albeit distant sequel. It's hard to imagine something better than this.

The level that was based on DS2's Valley of the Drakes ended up being the lowest point for me. Fairly annoying but thankfully optional.

xkramz

i got this bug today.. no hard enemies spawn andf lots of graphical glitches, is this a feature for ppl who suck at souls games like myself?

YsyIjAO.jpg

PHPcqjE.jpg

3atLD4U.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
jesus these 2
tongues so I can respec
sure took their sweet time to drop >_>

Is the fps hard for others here? Xbox One version here and normally I really dont care or feel slowdown but the first boss had soms rough moments really...

The Flash

Banned
It's cool that a lot of the old armor sets are in the game but it's still a little weird to me. These games are supposed to be thousands of years apart right? Like how is
Smough's armor
in perfect condition?

Fhtagn

DS3 is not the hardest souls at all.

This is ridiculous. DS3 is easily the hardest in the series, not counting DLC, but it's breezy if your a vet. There are more genuinely challenging bosses in the game than any other did at launch. The enemies are generally smarter. Backstab fishing is harder. Knights shield bash and break your guard. Sorcery is nerfed to the point people are pissed about it, etc etc etc.

You just know how to game the game to the point that the only way it could be hard is if it felt cheap as fuck to most of the people who bought it. It's still possible to exploit most of the tricks that worked in the past. Have you played the other games recently? I've polished off the platinum in pretty much all of them in the past year and the other games are just as "easy" as this one and I'd argue easier. The back half of DS1 is positively laid back compared to the onslaught of PS, DA, 2P, NK etc...

I've seen people saying stuff like "DS3 is so easy, I'm stun locking everything with a great axe" and my reaction to that is "well, duh, that works in all the other games, too. It's one of the built in easy modes."

Mogwai

I can't remember who recommended the
Irithyll Straight Sword
, but thank you! Just downed
Pontiff
in a handful of tries. That weapon is a beast at +3.

i got this bug today.. no hard enemies spawn andf lots of graphical glitches, is this a feature for ppl who suck at souls games like myself?

YsyIjAO.jpg

PHPcqjE.jpg

3atLD4U.jpg

Your armor is amazing.

But anyways, that seems like a vfx streaming issue? Every so often I can see things loading into the distance in chunks like that; your issue just looks like it failed... for some reason. Maybe verify game cache and hit the performance thread to see what, if anything, you can do on your hardware.

bidguy

Banned
area spoiler

archdragon peak is such a cheap invasion spot lol.... youre pretty much fucked if you get invaded before you kill the snake witch

pretty easy to farm covenant items there

Lol DS3 isn't "easy" relative to the other games.

Souls/Bloodborne are titles that basically require you to have a near-mastery of the game and it's systems to even complete them. If you've played through at least one of them (yet alone all of them) you are starting with way more knowledge/skill than they can balance around.

If they went all the way with making it a challenge for longtime players (comparable to their first time playing any of them) it would be near unapproachable for new players.

Hotline Miami 2 used the approach of starting where the first game ends difficulty-wise and a lot of people hated it (because some sections seem impossible without cheap tactics)

Ledbetter

Just finished the High Wall of Lothric and defeated V
ordt
, which wasn't too hard (took me only 2 tries).

And I fucking hate those knights, they always make me lose at least 1 or 2 estus. By the way,
what was that blue knight with red eyes outside the castle where the woman tells you the Lords are gone? is it just a regular enemy or what?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ok I can use the armor I want and the tower shield I want and still medium roll. Got my
wolf knight
greatsword up to +5 also, Im about ready to finish the game

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Guy invaded me when I was fighting 2 knights and just kills me on low HP, that sort of shit is so sad.

E92 M3

area spoiler

archdragon peak is such a cheap invasion spot lol.... youre pretty much fucked if you get invaded before you kill the snake witch

pretty easy to farm covenant items there

Farm which covenant items? Would like to know any tricks possible lol.

This is ridiculous. DS3 is easily the hardest in the series, not counting DLC, but it's breezy if your a vet. There are more genuinely challenging bosses in the game than any other did at launch. The enemies are generally smarter. Backstab fishing is harder. Knights shield bash and break your guard. Sorcery is nerfed to the point people are pissed about it, etc etc etc.

You just know how to game the game to the point that the only way it could be hard is if it felt cheap as fuck to most of the people who bought it. It's still possible to exploit most of the tricks that worked in the past. Have you played the other games recently? I've polished off the platinum in pretty much all of them in the past year and the other games are just as "easy" as this one and I'd argue easier. The back half of DS1 is positively laid back compared to the onslaught of PS, DA, 2P, NK etc...

I've seen people saying stuff like "DS3 is so easy, I'm stun locking everything with a great axe" and my reaction to that is "well, duh, that works in all the other games, too. It's one of the built in easy modes."

I wish I was proficient enough to know what you are talking about.

Lol DS3 isn't "easy" relative to the other games.

I wouldn't go that far, but I will say for me, I'm having the easiest time compared to any of the other ones before. I'm about halfway through and have only died at one boss and more often from dumb jumps than mob deaths. But to what you said I'm always cautious, always careful and always prepared. Maybe just conditioned by now.

But even with all of that, this might be my favorite in the series/BB. I love the NPC stuff, fashion stuff, weapon stuff, level design, music, enemies, ugh. so good.

What I have failed is a few NPC quests and it drives me insane. I hate that I missed out on some of that stuff.

burgerdog

Copy pasting this from the Wiki for people who may not be aware:

Run and Roll Speed
The roll and run speed of the player will vary with the amount of equipped weight.

Equip Weight above 100% of total Equip Load leaves the player unable to roll and run.
Trying to roll or backstep at this weight will stun the character.
Equip weight above 50% and up to 100% of Equip Load gives slow movement, and causes the player to 'fat roll'.
Equip weight above 25% and up to 50% of Equip Load gives medium movement.
There are also two different speeds to medium rolls, above and below 37.5%.
Equip weight equal to and below 25% of Equip Load gives fast movement.
Equip weight below 25% also has 4 individual speeds:
The fastest speed is achieved at 0% equip. The only weapons with no weight are Dragon Body and the Pyromancy Flame.
The other speed ranges are from 0.1% to 8.3%, 8.4% to 16.6%, and 16.7% to 25%.

I only notice three different rolls 0-30, 30-70, and 70-100.

Rhaknar

whats up with the elevator in
lothric castle
that doesnt go down nor can you use the switch next to it?

So uh
Smouldering lake
is some Bs.
Giant Archer? Check, Useless bait? Check. Murdering psycopath boss? Check. Lightning shooting snake worm?
what the fucckk

Is it worth it at all to have a wand in the left hand in order to do a magic weapon spell on your right hand weapon if you only have 10 intelligence?

Edit: no, it is not. Damage went from 240 to 257 lol.

Menome

Okay, I think I have a working system in place now, so does anybody on PS4 around Level 40 want to help be an item-mule for 15-20 minutes and get themselves a free set of Y
uria of Londor
's armor & sword?

Even if it doesn't work properly, you still end up with the items, so it's a win-win.

Fhtagn

I wouldn't go that far, but I will say for me, I'm having the easiest time compared to any of the other ones before. I'm about halfway through and have only died at one boss and more often from dumb jumps than mob deaths. But to what you said I'm always cautious, always careful and always prepared. Maybe just conditioned by now.

But even with all of that, this might be my favorite in the series/BB. I love the NPC stuff, fashion stuff, weapon stuff, level design, music, enemies, ugh. so good.

What I have failed is a few NPC quests and it drives me insane. I hate that I missed out on some of that stuff.

You're well conditioned and the front half of ds3 is the gentlest intro a DS game has. Usually they are hard giving way to easy, with optional hard endgame stuff. This one the mobs are harder than the bosses until the halfway mark and then shit gets real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom