• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Is there some concise video summarizing the plot/lore of Dark Souls 2? I beat the vanilla game, but not the DLC or Scholar. Something about golems, and kings... maybe darkness.

Sullichin

Played a ton of DS3 yesterday... to hype myself for the true release.
I am so excited to play this on PC, and with online enabled.

I will be sad to give up my dex/int character that I brought through half of the game this weekend. Thank you Xbox One version. I certainly got my money's worth.

Audioboxer

So I wanna go STR build.

Start knight?

Pump Vit first for health, then STR?

Good early STR weapons? Particularly big swords?

If you're going STR only Warrior is optimal.

His axe is a good weapon. A great axe can drop from early game enemies. The butchers knife is obtainable fairly early as well.

0racle

If you're going STR only Warrior is optimal.

His axe is a good weapon. A great axe can drop from early game enemies. The butchers knife is obtainable fairly early as well.

I like how the knight looks vs the warrior. Can all characters look the same in the end and wear all armor?

Neoweee

Yup, maybe put one point in STR for every two VIG. You can get the Butcher Knife early on with A scaling.

I went the class that started with more Vigor, but, yeah, that's basically what I did. The game was't really that hard with the Butcher Knife. VIT and END are worth quote a bit, too.

I like how the knight looks vs the warrior. Can all characters look the same in the end and wear all armor?

JebaćBiedę;200687698 said:
Knight or Mercenary for a fresh Dark Souls player?

Pick whatever you want, there are only minor differences between them. You can ultimately look however you want. The Knight does start with a nice 100% physical block shield so it can be good out of the gate.

JebaćBiedę;200687698 said:
Knight or Mercenary for a fresh Dark Souls player?

Knight is definiteky the most forgiving. Good base armor, 100% phys block shield, high health, can still normal roll with the base gear set equipped.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I hope I don't have to jump through hoops to get this game to run at 3440x1440 properly. FromSoft plz hlp me ehh hlp ehh 21:9 support hlp plz ehh

Duplolas

Banned
Hey guys, with Dark Souls III being released in about 8 hours for me, could you guys give me some tips for how I can be the biggest scumlord to ever exist?

Also, what weapons and armor sets should I get to be a complete and utter scumlord?

Thanks!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
did they patch the heavy armors or is it mostly "useless" and you can just fashionSouls even if you are playing a fortress on legs?

dealer-

I went the class that started with more Vigor, but, yeah, that's basically what I did. The game was't really that hard with the Butcher Knife. VIT and END are worth quote a bit, too.

Yeah, you can really smash through the mid/late game with a two handed greatsword. It's probably worth getting VIT up to 18-20 so you're not too squishy with a STR build.

Finalow

did they patch the heavy armors or is it mostly "useless" and you can just fashionSouls even if you are playing a fortress on legs?
no need to patch because they're not useless, I've seen damage being reduced ''considerably'' on people who were wearing full heavy armor sets so yeah. is it worth having that + a fat roll or using a lot of stats points for the weight though? Probably not.

Is quality still reliable?
it's fine, it works well with some weapons.

Sanctuary

According to a few more who have been able to play the game with the 1.03 patch in the past 24 hours, sorcery and offensive miracles are still absolute crap at the lower levels. So if you want to play as a caster early on, just stick with pyromancy.

It was definitly a buff. Soul Arrow went from 70ish to 90ish damage on the enemies just outside Firelink. But yeah, it wasn't a very big one, and is way too little. Frankly, sorcery (and probably miracles too, but I haven't spent much at all time with them yet) just needs a complete overhaul in this game.

There's just too many problems, from the joke that is the damage, to the "speed" of the spells (boy is that a misnomer) coupled with the true speed and hyper aggressiveness of most enemies, to the at times insane, and generally unsustainable even with ash flasks fp costs, to the piss poor and likely not even functioning scaling on several staves.

That's not even mentioning that it takes 3 rings and a headpiece (which lowers your magic resistance significantly, on top of the extra magic damage you take from one of those rings), AND a minimum of 50 int to even get to a point where you CAN start reliably killing things without chugging ashen estus between every other kill. Imagine how it would be if you needed 50 str or 50 dex to start seeing some kind of damage on your weapons? Because that's pretty much how it is with Int (and possibly miracles).

Frankly, sorcery is just broken.

Neoweee

According to a few more who have been able to play the game with the 1.03 patch in the past 24 hours, sorcery and offensive miracles are still absolute crap at the lower levels. So if you want to play as a caster early on, just stick with pyromancy.

I wonder if From would have caught the horrible scaling if they kept the stat screen from DS2 that shows your underlying scale factors for Str, Dex, and the four schools of magic. And cast time. It just seems... odd how it is essentially the inversion of the soft caps players have learned to work with.

Yeah, you can really smash through the mid/late game with a two handed greatsword. It's probably worth getting VIT up to 18-20 so you're not too squishy with a STR build.

Vigor is HP, not Vit, but yes getting it up to
is the first order of business for any build, IMO.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
no need to patch because they're not useless, I've seen damage being reduced considerably on people who were wearing full heavy armor sets so yeah.

so all the hub hub last week about heavy armor being useless was hyperbole?

Quick question, I have the japanese ps4 version and my friends are getting the NA ps4 version tonight... I'll be able to co-op with them, right? I know that hasn't been an issue with the past games, so im assuming this one will be fine too, but i just want to make sure.

Neoweee

so all the hub hub last week about heavy armor being useless was hyperbole?

What hub hub? Math? The game outright tells you the damage reduction %s this time. Armor doesn't do nothing, but it also doesn't do a lot due to soft caps. Medium armor can get you to the extremely aggressive soft caps around 20% reduction.

You can get 20% pretty easily. You essentially can't get up to 30% unless you are using the specific resistance rings. I wrote that original guide, and it wasn't meant to imply that all heavy gear is worthless. Just that there's almost no benefit to using 4x pieces of heavy gear, because you'll cap even without that 4th or even 3rd piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom