• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fhtagn

It's super funny when it's 2v2 in a watchdogs invasion and both watchdogs are almost completely ignoring the white phantom and chasing the host around a damn tree until they mess up and die.

So is there lore related reasons for all this fan service or is it just fan service?

You know I really hated DS II because it was trying so hard to be like "hey, pssshhh, look at this soul description, remind you of anything, hey look at this enemy, totally Snorlax and Pikachu right???"

In the game itself the universe has moved on soooooo fucking far from Dark Souls to Dark Souls II that having all those obvious fan service stuff just seemed way out of place.

At least here (from how far I've gotten)

Just got to the swamp

This game seems closer to Dark Souls in the timeline than Dark Souls II. Geography is extremely similar in terms of world locations. It's openly showing that we are not too far removed from Dark Souls 1, so having characters and stuff from the other regions pop up isn't all that odd.

Nephtes

Getting my arse whooped, by the Fire D
emon
, under the bridge in the C
atacombs
of
Carthus
, harder than any boss so far. Is there a gimmick to him, I can sometimes get the S
keletons
to attack him, but he wipes them out without much trouble.

There is a
Mimic chest
across the way. Poke it and run by the
fire demon
... It will do most of the work...

Bonus, the big guy will kill it too...

iddqd

Dark Sword is my new favorite weapon.
Super fast, with Heavy infused great Damage for a STR build.

This and the Black Knight Greatsword are going to get all the love.

Floody

See a bit above where someone gave me a tip to lure him to come up the stairs. Then you can hit him a couple times and he'll retreat. Then just do that over and over until he dies.

Thanks, will try that. Guy just one hits me if I try and fight it normally.

Edit:
There is a
Mimic chest
across the way. Poke it and run by the
fire demon
... It will do most of the work...
Thanks, will try this first.

pa22word

It most definitely isnt. Im at 40 hours and still have 2 lords to kill. If you care about NPC questlines and finding as much as possible in your first playthrough then this is definitely longer than Dark Souls 1. If not then sure itll be quicker.

I did and explored everything but NPC stuff on my console run and still beat everything in 25 hours and change. Probably 5 of those hours were due to me picking the wrong build on my first run by going dex. STR is overwhelmingly better for PVE in this game.

It's just not a very long game. The linearity of the world is going to really hurt further replays, too. I really doubt I put even close to the 200 hours that I did into DS2 into this game simply for that fact alone. I mean once you've beaten the game the only real branching path you have is the choice of doing the middle two lords in one order or the other (
seriously who in their right mind is going to go after wolnir first ever again knowing that the game literally invisible walls your ass unless you do the cathedral first?
), and given the snore fest that is one of them I don't know why you'd want to go fight the other one first other than to gawk at the aesthetics.

Zocano

So is there lore related reasons for all this fan service or is it just fan service?

I mean Dark Souls 2 had lore related reasons for its "fan service" which I never thought was particularly on the nose.

This game is egregious, on the other hand. Yah there are "lore reasons" but fan service is fan service. Some people will like it and some people will be annoyed by it.

Hikami

Nah, I don't care about honor duels. I don't even care that out of the hundred or so invasions I've done only 3 weren't a gangbang, I just want vertebra drops to make sense. I got no problem multitasking these 4 guys that can't even kill a boss for over an hour, lmao.

Ah I see, if every phantom dropped a vertebra shackale that sounds like it could be pretty easily exploitable though. You could pair up with a host that could just summons endless phantoms for you to kill.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Anyone else read the patch 1.04 notes?

Apparently they're nerfing Greatswords... AGAIN. What the fuck? Seriously

jtrov

Am I missing something in order to invade as an Aldrich Faithful?

I can join other games by leaving my summoning sign and join in on some jolly co-op to help others, so I know there are plenty of players in the area. I can also see the covenant logo fading in an out which I assume is some matchmaking thing, but it can't find anything unless I'm laying my summon sign down. Unless there is something I need to do first that I'm unaware of, I have no idea why it won't teleport me to protect as an Aldrich Faithful. Wore the Watchdogs of Farron item for a while as well and not once did it match me with anyone...

Is there something I'm not doing right here? I thought I just had to equip the covenant item and it would find me a world to invade...

E92 M3

Did they fix mound farming through signs? I called in some random mound bros to fight and didn't get any items from killing them.

Unai

So, there is no penality for using a shield which you don't have the strenght requirements if you only use it to defend and parry?

pa22word

Anyone else read the patch 1.04 notes?

Apparently they're nerfing Greatswords... AGAIN. What the fuck? Seriously

・ Performance adjustment for “Greatsword”
・ Battle performance adjustment for “Dancer’s Enchanted Sword”, “Winged Knight Twinaxes”
・ Performance adjustment for “Soul’s Greatsword”, and “Farron Flashsword”
・ Fix for issue where multiple items become impossible to use at “Road of Sacrifices”, “Farron Keep”, “Cathedral of the Deep” after clearing the game.
・ General balance adjustments and bug fixes

Seems to me given the quotes they're just messing with the actual sword "Greatsword" and not the weapon class in general.

Elixist

Dark Wraith gank squad!?
WDF i noped out of that shit

KingKong

Does anyone else think they're finding the game a bit too easy not just because they've become skilled at the actual fighting but they also get all the Souls systems?

I have an absurd amount of high level estus because I'm exploring everywhere, I'm levelling up correctly for my playstyle and know the soft cap, I've upgraded my sword and know exactly when to switch infusions when my strength gain outpaces its elemental damage, I'm using my items (anti bleed, anti poison, etc) and I just know the tricks like how they like to hide enemies around corners, spring them on you after an item drop, etc

I'm up to
Irythil Dungeon
so it might just get way harder (but I should also hopefully start finding +7-9 upgrade gems and hit my stamina cap and start going for damage soon)

MGrant

Quick question (fairly early on in the game) - Am I supposed to do
Farron Keep
before
Cathedral of the Deep
?

That's up to you. I did the latter before the former and it worked out just fine. You'll have to do both before you can gain access to a certain area, though. There are a few times the path splits in this game.

Ogawa-san

Started fresh on my second playthrough, trying dex and going shieldless this time. Man, Uchigatana parrying is almost as satisfying as gun parrying. I fail horribly just as often too!

I wonder for how long a fire Uchi will remain this op.

Hikami

So I've never once been summoned as a
blue sentinel
Is there something I'm forgetting to do? I have the banner equipped.
I'm guessing it depends on level, area, and maybe your weapon +? I was getting constantly summoned at Lv30 in the
Road of Sacrifices
area with a +2 uchi. (By constantly, I mean I have 19 of the covenant item now.) As soon as I spent my souls and leveled to 34 though the summons slowed down considerably. Guess I need to move on to the next area.

Just beat the PC version. Final run time was 14 hours. I really don't see how anyone can't say this is the shortest game in the series, honestly.

Did you explore at all man? Damn, I'm about 30 hours in, and I'm at Irithyll now. Granted, I've spent a couple of hours Jolly Cooperating, but still... Did you do all the bosses?

Dark_castle

One thing I've come to really, really appreciate about Souls games are the sound design. It's incredibly satisfying just to wander around, absorbing the sound of your footstep and armor makes, as well as the ambient music.

Up to
Road of Sacrifices
. Getting tired of the knight armor and Uginitchwhatever katana tbh, hoping I find some cooler, better shit soon. Doing a Dex/magic build as that always serves my needs.

Soulflarz

Banned
One thing I've come to really, really appreciate about Souls games are the sound design. It's incredibly satisfying just to wander around, absorbing the sound of your footstep and armor makes, as well as the ambient music.

This was a constant though to me
Souls has some of the best sound design in gaming

Hell, it puts nintendo games to shame

And I love ninty sound design

Kevtones

Game is really good. This feels like DS + DeS

+ eliminate armor upgrading
+ Hollow count
+ Firelink Shrine homebase is explorable/enemies nearby
+ AI is better
+ immediate NPCs
+ interesting NPCs

Thinking this may become my favorite in the series if Undead Settlement is any indication. Area is incredible.

J-Skee

Ay yo, fuck that fucking
big ass spider
in the Cathedral of the Deep. I just screamed like a little bitch. It's almost 1AM & my neighbors probably want to kill me now.

Anyone know how much Vitality helps physical defense? I thought it only helped equip load, so I've been largely disregarding it for most of my game (pyromancer so lol worthy vitality), if it dictates physical defense though too, I should prolly invest in that....

MGrant

Just beat the PC version. Final run time was 14 hours. I really don't see how anyone can't say this is the shortest game in the series, honestly.

It's longer than the original Dark Souls, though it's definitely shorter than vanilla Dark Souls 2. But I actually prefer the pacing in DS3 to DS2's, since DS2 incorporates more backtracking and a couple throwaway areas that should have probably been omitted (Grave of Saints and Black Gulch) and a couple that were just boring or a chore to play through despite having potential (Heide's Tower, Shaded Woods, Iron Keep, the Belfries).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom