• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberLevi

Where can I farm up Titanite Chunks? I need several to get from +8 to +9 but they seem in short supply. Haven't found a respawning enemy that actually drops them, if there are any.

Veelk

Banned
Was I not supposed to go into the
Smoultering Lake
area? I decided to go down and explore
the dungeon
because I thought that was going to be a side area. Turns out that is the main area, but I go back and decide to go fight
the Old Demon King
. So was that the boss to the area? Did I somehow end up going the wrong way and got to the boss first before the rest of the level?

And is there anything I absolutely need from that area? Because I loathe
dungeon crawls
like that one. If there isn't anything interesting down there, I may as well go to the Ithysomething area.

Sullichin

Was I not supposed to go into the
Smoultering Lake
area? I decided to go down and explore
the dungeon
because I thought that was going to be a side area. Turns out that is the main area, but I go back and decide to go fight
the Old Demon King
. So was that the boss to the area? Did I somehow end up going the wrong way and got to the boss first before the rest of the level?

And is there anything I absolutely need from that area? Because I loathe
dungeon crawls
like that one. If there isn't anything interesting down there, I may as well go to the Ithysomething area.

Optional area. Boss is accessible off the bat but there's more down there to explore.

Afrocious

I'm seeing folks with greatswords! Where do I get one? I just reached the
Crucifixion Swamp!

So far, I've been maining a broadsword with great results.

Also made it past that dumb bird area. Fuck those things. Had to basically kite like 5 of them to death by falling.

Wagram

You know what the absolute best feeling is? Being invaded, keeping my weapon hidden, and as soon as they come in for an attack I pull out a hulking, massive,
Fume
Ultra Greatsword and each swing takes off 35-40% of their life bar. Invade again, thanks.

pa22word

Crucifixion Swamp!

Also made it past that dumb bird area. Fuck those things. Had to basically kite like 5 of them to death by falling.

Broadsword is a seriously stout early game weapon. I mauled the first half of the game using it exclusively. If I hadn't gotten lucky and picked up the Dark Sword when I did I think I would have had no problems rocking it until I leveled into greatsword vit and edr.

Disappointed in two (non-gameplay) things thus far:

1. I hate that I've been playing for 20+ hours (taking it slow lol), have killed 7 or 8 bosses yet NPCs have yet to give me any new dialogue. Like really, level up lady still can only tell me what is means to be unkindled? The sad guy on the steps hasn't said anything like "oh, you're failing aren't you?" and just repeats introduction line. Dumb

2. Boss intro cutscenes are LACKING. Especially after Bloodborne. I'm only just getting into the meat of the game but come on y'all. AW was the closest to what I'm looking for. I get that "big" bosses will prolly get better cutscenes but every cutscene in Bloodborne was baller as fuck

Veelk

Banned
Optional area. Boss is accessible off the bat but there's more down there to explore.

I know. I actually made it a pretty good length down there before I realized how deep I was getting into.

I was just wondering if this was going to be worth it in the end, because if the boss is right there, then why I am going through this lengthy, hard to navigate, visually displeasing dungeon that seems to only have one enemy.

Fhtagn

DS3 really shines its brightest when it does its own thing. There are some really cool nostalgia moments, but some of the areas in the mid game feel totally uninspired or as if they were rejected ideas from the other games. Some of these late game areas are really neat.

P.S. I can't wait for people to totally ignore that there is a ton of ganking in DS3. That only exists in DS2 apparently.

I've never been one to complain about the ganking in ds2, heck I even enjoy most of it, but is there anything in DS3 as annoying at the squad near the ruin sentinels? I think that's the one most people hate (I'm kinda fond of it myself but I get the complaints.)

I've really enjoyed most of the many v 1 fights in DS3. There's usually not more than two Knights at a time and when there's a bunch of enemies they usually have low poise or in the early game can be roll-stunned.

I know. I actually made it a pretty good length down there before I realized how deep I was getting into.

I was just wondering if this was going to be worth it in the end, because if the boss is right there, then why I am going through this lengthy, hard to navigate, visually displeasing dungeon that seems to only have one enemy.

There's at least 10 different enemies in that section, including a few unique ones but also a bunch you'll recognize from elsewhere.

If you're a pyromancer, it's essential.

UberLevi

Just beat C
hampion
G
undyr
after 8 deaths. Holy hell, that's double what my previous most was.

Probably my first real, "Welcome to Dark Souls" moment when it comes to bosses.

Kevtones

Lol most people hated that area, I didn't mind it personally

But shit, if that area impressed you then you will love the later stuff

- Awesome introduction
- Untold story that's interesting
- Diversity
- Setpieces
- Estus Soup
- Surprises in all forms
- Awesome optional side stuff
- GREAT local enemies
- Pretty good boss although its 'sacs' good be better defined.
- Great early game GRIND area is the
Dilapidated Bridge

Top 3 Souls area ever tbh.

Sullichin

Lots of large titanite, some weapons, some spells, an estus shard.

co1onel

Question regarding an npc:
I finished Sirris's questline and talked to her at firelink shrine. The handmaiden isn't selling her armor, so do I have to kill her now in order to get it?

Sullichin

Lol most people hated that area, I didn't mind it personally

But shit, if that area impressed you then you will love the later stuff
Most people? Whaa. I don't remember hearing many complaints about it.

Area is fucking awesome, it's huge and has cool enemies.

Veelk

Banned
There's at least 10 different enemies in that section, including a few unique ones but also a bunch you'll recognize from elsewhere.

If you're a pyromancer, it's essential.

I'm a viomancer. My magic art is to hit things with my giant sword until they die. It works in mysterious ways. .

I think I saw 6 or 7 of them, probably. I got as far as the
Black Swordsman
. Just tell me this:
do I get to kill the fuckers with teh giant crossbow shooting at me
?

Lots of large titanite, some weapons, some spells, an estus shard.

Hm....that's not bad actually, but just got a ton from the lake area. I'll probably come back to it later.

Fucking hell. I'm about to give up. I'm at A
byss
W
atchers
and I keep dying without doing very much damage. I got
him down to Phase 2 twice and was instantly wrecked. Is there anything I can do? I've gone from Hollow 6 to Hollow 34 in the amount of times I've fought him. I feel like if I can corner him towards the entrance I can get him down to about half health, but the other Watchers just stunlock me until I die.

They barely do any more than the straight swords at notably more stamina and time
no thanks

And I mained them in DS

I thought my stats just sucked when I tried the curved greatsword from the watchdog covenant. At least thought the damage would be good specced properly. Jeez

As far as the time taken, that seems like the deal breaker. Some of the openings in this game are super small compared to DS. I used to play that the god damn Zweihander. When the hell would you be able to hit C
hampion
G
undyr
with something that slow?

straight swords seem like the best class for pve imo

Xeteh

End game(?) spoilers.
Soul of Cinder's 5 attack combo in the second phase might be my least favorite thing in any Souls game that I can recall.

jaekeem

End game(?) spoilers.
Soul of Cinder's 5 attack combo in the second phase might be my least favorite thing in any Souls game that I can recall.

yea that fucked me up too

but watching videos of that fight after I beat it...it's really telegraphed

just run away once he starts it

pa22word

End game(?) spoilers.

I learned the hard way in my first run that once he goes second form, best to back the fuck up. It's an easy attack to dodge when you have enough spacing to roll backwards after the first hit, then punish once he's done slashing air, but it's an easy 1/2+ health bar gone thing if he catches you in it early enough.

Fucking hell. I'm about to give up. I'm at A
byss
W
atchers
and I keep dying without doing very much damage. I got
him down to Phase 2 twice and was instantly wrecked. Is there anything I can do? I've gone from Hollow 6 to Hollow 34 in the amount of times I've fought him. I feel like if I can corner him towards the entrance I can get him down to about half health, but the other Watchers just stunlock me until I die.
Third one is your ally (sort of). Stay away and he will attack the others. Try to keep it a 1v1 fight for him so you don't have the other two ganging up on him.

For phase 2. Stay away and wait for the right time to strike. The second you start getting caught in his dumb flame trails it's pretty much over. Backstabs are the best way to deal with this fight, when he does his smash down move you have a window to get him. Backstab, then immediately charge R2, then either wail on him further or get another backstab if possible. If your weapons are doing the proper damage it shouldn't be an issue

pa22word

Third one is your ally (sort of). Stay away and he will attack the others. Try to keep it a 1v1 fight for him so you don't have the other two ganging up on him.

For phase 2. Stay away and wait for the right time to strike. The second you start getting caught in his dumb flame trails it's pretty much over. Backstabs are the best way to deal with this fight, when he does his smash down move you have a window to get him. Backstab, then immediately charge R2, then either wail on him further or get another backstab if possible. If your weapons are doing the proper damage it shouldn't be an issue

Wait, R2 charges are back :O?!

Damn that would have been nice to know ;-;

Xeteh

yea that fucked me up too

but watching videos of that fight after I beat it...it's really telegraphed

just run away once he starts it

I learned the hard way in my first run that once he goes second form, best to back the fuck up. It's an easy attack to dodge when you have enough spacing to roll backwards after the first hit, then punish once he's done slashing air, but it's an easy 1/2+ health bar gone thing if he catches you in it early enough.

All these years of Souls games has ingrained rolling through the attack my first choice. Remembering to back roll takes me that extra second and its pissing me off.

Animator

I am getting the itch to kill a npc because they have a sweet looking sword.

Has anyone killed the
the chick that replaces the pilgrim
and would it shut me off anything vital in the game? I don't care about the stuff she is selling.

TheFlow

Banned
Crucifixion Swamp!

I have a lot of the greats words and ultras but find myself sticking with my broadsword.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not that most people will care, but they finally added in the Japanese language option they advertised on the store page of Steam! It wasn't present at launch, but you can choose it now. Much rejoicing for me, not that the English version is insufficient in any way or anything.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there some trick for S
mouldering
L
ake
?
Those spears are relentless. Is there some way I can get them to stop?

pixxxelz

Are there really no shortcuts or new bonfires on
cathedral of the deep
? I made it to
where that giant is
but when I got there I was out of estus and I had to many souls to risk it...

Is he hostile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom