• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veggy

Thinking this may become my favorite in the series if Undead Settlement is any indication. Area is incredible.

Lol most people hated that area, I didn't mind it personally

But shit, if that area impressed you then you will love the later stuff

Um.. Firelink Shrine question.
Why is there now a fog gate covering the entrance?

The consensus seems to be that it's loading the outside because if you wait long enough, it leaves.

Any pyromancers know how good Great Chaos Fire Orb and Chaos storm are?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Seems to me given the quotes they're just messing with the actual sword "Greatsword" and not the weapon class in general.
Why would they adjust the Greatsword, when it's still less powerful than the already nerfed Fume Ultra Greatsword? Sounds like they're shitting on the catagory to me.

MUnited83

For you.
Dude when I saw that thing hauling ass with those tiny legs it instantly reminded me of

tumblr_m3qdi5URFa1qbbcazo1_500.gif

someone needs to check out the labyrinth madmen from bloodborne :p

Raw64life

I guess
Abyss Watchers
is a popular fight because I just got to the bonfire before the fight and there's about 20 summon signs there. Wish it could be like everywhere.

Does anyone know if there are consequences for taking up Yoel on his power offer. Will following the path to that ending preclude me from getting any other endings?

pa22word

What the fuck? Even Oroboro took 24 hours.

Took me about 55.

MtTIl3O.jpg

The game took me a little over 25, maybe 26 hours on console doing all the extra areas and exploring a lot.

This is my second run, and I just took the shortest path to SoC. Like, I just didn't feel it was necessary to bash my head against NK for an hour or so when I could just beat the game first and then go do him in. My build was stock STR path (vit, edr, str) and I basically stopped leveling vigor entirely (25/26?) once I hit a thousand HP because the softcap seems to be around there and man, those diminishing returns are real >____>

Weapon path was the warrior starting weapon > broadsword > Dark Sword > Cathedral Greatsword. I also got lucky and got two lothric greatswords just randomly, thinking about leveling one of them for NK because it seems faster than CKGS is.

UberLevi

C
hampion
G
undyr
is the hardest boss I've had to fight in the game so far, and honestly he can suck my dick til' it's raw.

I've died five times now and twice I've gotten him down to "one more hit" territory only to get rekt at the last second.

I like to walk and enjoy the view in my souls experience.

Gotta role play a lil, not gonna be sprinting every second on this long adventure!

After all, this is a type of role playing game!

KingKong

Er
25 and I went to every area and fully explored them.

...15 is very doable

10 is doable if I didn't explore everything and commit mass murder, since it's easy to stunlock most of the bosses.

I mean at that point aren't you just doing half a speedrun? So you'll just be getting the items you know you need and running straight to the required bosses?

pa22word

Er

...15 is very doable

10 is doable if I didn't explore everything and commit mass murder, since it's easy to stunlock most of the bosses.[

This is really the key as to why the game is so short, imo. The bosses all go down very easy.

I think at least 3/4 of them if not more need serious buffs.

15 on a first run sounds crazy. Maybe if you are using a guide.

There's really no need for a guide in this game. As long as you don't hit any walls for /you/ personally in some enemy types then this game is very straightforward path from start to finish.

Fhtagn

MtTIl3O.jpg

The game took me a little over 25, maybe 26 hours on console doing all the extra areas and exploring a lot.

This is my second run, and I just took the shortest path to SoC. Like, I just didn't feel it was necessary to bash my head against NK for an hour or so when I could just beat the game first and then go do him in. My build was stock STR path (vit, edr, str) and I basically stopped leveling vigor entirely (25/26?) once I hit a thousand HP because the softcap seems to be around there and man, those diminishing returns are real >____>

Weapon path was the warrior starting weapon > broadsword > Dark Sword > Cathedral Greatsword. I also got lucky and got two lothric greatswords just randomly, thinking about leveling one of them for NK because it seems faster than CKGS is.

Oh. Well that makes sense. I can (and have) done Dark Souls 1 in 12 hours without too rushing, including the DLC.

Thought you meant as a first playthrough. I enjoy taking my time in these games and my gut says this game is way larger than any game in the series other than DS2, though taking a straight path to the ending is probably as short as DS1.

On my second playthrough, I'm at 10 hours at Farron's Keep; because I'm doing as much PvP as I can.

Won 25 watchdog fights tonight. Final one was against a really amazing player who was the only person I fought all night who really understood the backstab positioning meta-game. I only won by playing dirty by involving mobs to pile on pressure and then a guard break riposte to win. Wanted to send a message to say "wow you are amazing" but turns out the player is Japanese and I dont want a language barrier to make it seem like I'm gloating.

Also character names I saw tonight included:
Artorias II
Ser Pounce
Rhaegar
**** Boy (lol censorship filter)

And some other really silly ones that have slipped my mind.

Golgo 13

Does anyone know if the boss weapons -- the ones you get from using their Souls -- can be infused at all? For instance could I make a boss weapon that had D scaling in strength into a Strength weapon with a heavy gem?

Soulflarz

Banned
This is really the key as to why the game is so short, imo. The bosses all go down very easy.

There's really no need for a guide in this game. As long as you don't hit any walls for /you/ personally in some enemy types then this game is very straightforward path from start to finish.

Agreed.

When you say stunlock what kind of weapon are you talking about? Only boss I could stunlock had like 0 poise
Abyss Watcher
well, not necessarily stunlock, sorry, I fully admit I exaggerated.

Moreso meant mindless r1 works for a lot, see- tree and roll back when he pounds, W
holer or w/e
, C
rystal
S
Though the boss you mentioned can be taken down easily like that if you wanted :p

I mean at that point aren't you just doing half a speedrun? So you'll just be getting the items you know you need and running straight to the required bosses?

Oh, I'm just saying it's doable, not that I'd do it :p

Big Brett

Anyone know how much Vitality helps physical defense? I thought it only helped equip load, so I've been largely disregarding it for most of my game (pyromancer so lol worthy vitality), if it dictates physical defense though too, I should prolly invest in that....

When you are leveling up it should say exactly what stats are being affected.

Wagram

DS3 really shines its brightest when it does its own thing. There are some really cool nostalgia moments, but some of the areas in the mid game feel totally uninspired or as if they were rejected ideas from the other games. Some of these late game areas are really neat.

P.S. I can't wait for people to totally ignore that there is a ton of ganking in DS3. That only exists in DS2 apparently.

Sullichin

Er

...15 is very doable

10 is doable if I didn't explore everything and commit mass murder, since it's easy to stunlock most of the bosses.
15 was his second playthrough. I doubt people are making their way through this game the first time in 15 hours, when you don't know where anything is and what is even optional.

UberLevi

Yo. Seriously, fuck that stupid
kicking you in mid air
bullshit that G
undyr
does. He's just shitting on me with that move.

Veggy

Does anyone know if the boss weapons -- the ones you get from using their Souls -- can be infused at all? For instance could I make a boss weapon that had D scaling in strength into a Strength weapon with a heavy gem?

Boss weapons cannot be infused or buffed, though some weapons have in built buffs for weapon skill

KingKong

DS3 really shines its brightest when it does its own thing. There are some really cool nostalgia moments, but some of the areas in the mid game feel totally uninspired or as if they were rejected ideas from the other games. Some of these late game areas are really neat.

The nostalgia is really, really getting to me. Just the sheer weight of seeing these areas and environments that you spent so much time in withered away is surprisingly powerful considering I'm not into the game's lore at all

Golgo 13

Boss weapons cannot be infused or buffed, though some weapons have in built buffs for weapon skill
Cool, thanks. Do they usually require Twinkling Titanite to upgrade? And they probably go up to +5 like most special weapons.

Fhtagn

I honestly have no idea what they were thinking when it comes to chests in this game.

Yeah, it's baffling.

Overall I really love DS3 but there are some sticking points. Silly abundance of mimics is one. Rats having superheroic poise breaking is another. Most bosses having so little health... certain boss having no poise... Covenants being all about pvp or co-op without anything super weird like Gravelords... So many rings for a trophy... And some of the fan service is a bit much...

But besides all that, most consistent game in the series for sure. People trott out that "ds1 has higher highs but lower lows than ds2" line a lot, but I think DS3 has equally high as highs as DS1 and nothing as bad as the worst of either previous game.

(I still think DS1, warts and all, is the best of the bunch from "sum is greater than the parts" and "most cohesive story/lore" perspectives.)

Sullichin

There's no need for a guide. I'm saying someone finishing this game in 15 hours for the first time does not seem realistic.

I'm not saying the game is hard and needs a guide or that it can't be beaten very quickly.

well, not necessarily stunlock, sorry, I fully admit I exaggerated.

Moreso meant mindless r1 works for a lot, see- tree and roll back when he pounds, W
holer or w/e
, C
rystal
S
Though the boss you mentioned can be taken down easily like that if you wanted :p

Oh ok

Had me thinking "man, I should check out those greatswords" lol

Fhtagn

Yo. Seriously, fuck that stupid
kicking you in mid air
bullshit that G
undyr
does. He's just shitting on me with that move.

This is my favorite thing he does because it is such a clever and coherent way for him to punish hugging his butt.

I can't be the only one who sees him as a tribute to
Akira from Virtua Fighter
, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom