• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to do much damage. Just be sure to actually hit them.

Yeah this. There's a clink and slight flash to indicate. They can be awkward to hit with a small weapon too.

I've been using dual blades my whole way through because I find their moveset to be a ton of fun, and the scaling isn't terrible[/]. I'm at 40 dex as well. Used Sharp Warden Twinblades +9 landing at 163+124, but just switched over to Gotthard Twinswords +8 because they seem to pack quite a punch and also seem more potent behind a shield as well.

Dual blades are awesome. I found a very interesting set that I won't spoil but they had a moveset that really tempted me to switch to them, alas the scaling was completely all over the place. I just feel a bit of regret for not going STR and picking something with S scaling, but I've been meaning to switch it up and try a different build for a while, it doesn't seem like I picked the best time to do it though. I'd look up what weapons scale best for DEX but with only a little bit left I figured I'll rough it out to the end and not spoil what's left.

jett

D-Member
Well I finished the Cathedral. That was pretty anticlimactic considering the entire thing took me hours. I think I've had my fill of Dark Souls for a long time. What's this btw about a liar/troll there? I encountered nobody like that.

edit: Oh
Patches
. He trolled me earlier in the game so I guess that's why it didn't see him now.

I also killed a person in the Firelink shrine.
I don't even know her name, but she told me we would be enemies the next time we met due to a covenant I was in, so I killed right there and then to save time. :p
Did this even matter?

Been avoiding DS3 threads for the most part, but I have to say this game is fucking excellent so far. I was feeling franchise fatigue after Bloodborne, but damned if this isn't a step up in every way. Just going through
Cathedral of the Deep
and appreciating the amazing level design (especially coming from
Farron Keep
).

Spoilered areas to be safe, like I said, haven't been following this thread.

Would I be wrong in thinking that if I'm going for a dex/int build I'd be better off using a sharp infusion so I can still buff my weapon with a magic weapon spell?

MilkBeard

Well I finished the Cathedral. That was pretty anticlimactic considering the entire thing took me hours. I think I've had my fill of Dark Souls for a long time. What's this btw about a liar/troll there? I encountered nobody like that.

edit: Oh
Patches
. He trolled me earlier in the game so I guess that's why it didn't see him now.

I also killed a person in the Firelink shrine.
I don't even know her name, but she told me we would be enemies the next time we met due to a covenant I was in, so I killed right there and then to save time. :p
Did this even matter?
There is a troll there, you must have missed it.

Yuuichi

Where do you go after
Aldritch
? I've
cleared the demon runes, killed the old demon king, missed? Yharm (haven't fought him)
and now the NPC's are being unhelpful.

Go downstairs from the church bonfire
and across the lake and keep going down

lol I guess I'll try this?

Beat the final boss, I guess. Just one question about a thing:
these firekeeper's eyes, can I still do anything with them without having to go through a NG+? I gave them to her after I first found them, but answered 'no' and left her alone until right before the final boss. Then I stabbed her and took the eyes back >_>. Now she's alive again, and I still have the option to give them to her. I linked the fire, if it makes any difference.

Sblargh

Banned
I killed the
Old Demon King
and went down the
Smouldering Lake
, explored the whole place, I believe, went up some really long stairs, deactivated a thing, and now where next?

I still don't have the doll

Fucked up the spoilers for a second there .Sorry. :(

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man that fire
demon
on the way to
smouldering lake
can eat a bag of dicks.

Afrocious

Awesome. Did some backtracking after killing my 3rd boss
the greatwood.

Found 1 estus shard and the Warrior of Sunlight covenant!

Man that fire
demon
on the way to
smouldering lake
can eat a bag of dicks.

I just lured him up the stairs hit him a few times, let him go back down and repeat. It's kind of cheap, but the first time, I had to fight him and an army of skeletons, and I was not having that.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I just lured him up the stairs hit him a few times, let him go back down and repeat. It's kind of cheap, but the first time, I had to fight him and an army of skeletons, and I was not having that.

Wow. Thanks! Beat it without taking a hit doing it that way on the first try. I have no qualms with cheesing enemies. 😀 I left a "try luring it out message" that will hopefully help some others.

I'm also really digging Uchigatana now that I've got it at +4. Switched tot it from a +4 Claymore. I'll need to probably look into respecting at some point though to take a few points out of strength and vitality to dump in dexterity.

Anyway, quitting for now at the start of
Smouldering Lake
as I'm too tired to delve into a new area. Hopefully I can play some in the morning before heading out of town for the rest of the weekend.

Forkball

Apparently I completely skipped a boss. You're supposed to do CS before AW? I didn't even see CS anywhere. What bonfire should I start at? This is the second boss I've missed without realizing it, the game is definitely different from the past Dark Souls games that basically railroaded you to a specific boss.

So I've encountered what seems to be a PvP invasion exploit in the swamp (and probably any area with an elevator):

If an invader takes an elevator and doesn't move from the step/trigger thing, they can effectively stand there forever until one side gives up, since the levers will be nonfunctional until the button reverts back to neutral (with no one on it). It sucks. And From wouldn't even let me drop attack him because past a certain point, fall becomes an instant death.

Afrocious

I think I'm too many bosses into this game not to leave messages.

Where do I find the item that allows me to leave messages? Also how do I leave mad summoning?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm too many bosses into this game not to leave messages.

Where do I find the item that allows me to leave messages? Also how do I leave mad summoning?

No item needed in this game. Hit the start button or right side of touch pad and it's the option second from the right next to the one you use to save and quit.

psychotron

Once you do it, you'll look more and more undead every time you die, basically becoming a Hollow from the prior games. Every 5 times you die (I think it's 5) you can get another level "free" after you get five levels...stuff happens. If you don't reverse the effects before you beat the game you get an ending pertaining to your condition....

Is the hollowing cosmetic or
is there a health reduction as in previous games. If it's purely cosmetic then I'll gladly take the free levels. I usually have my face covered anyway, lol. Can you just keep dying by falling off a cliff or something, to cheese it?

I just beat the
Crystal Sage
a little while ago, and I'm currently level 42. Still rolling with the default Knight Armor. Is it time to upgrade to something else? My concern is that heavier stuff would make my dodge rolls slower and I'd rather avoid that if possible. I'd put more points into my vitality to increase my carry weight, but it seems like such a slow grind to get to a decent carry weight. Opinions?

Afrocious

Put my summon sign in front of the second boss. I got summoned but what the hell I ended up fighting
The Dancer of the Boreal Valley.

How the hell do you even get that fight to appear?

is there a health reduction as in previous games. If it's purely cosmetic then I'll gladly take the free levels. I usually have my face covered anyway, lol. Can you just keep dying by falling off a cliff or something, to cheese it?

just cosmetic.
You actually need to take 5 free levels for a certain ending

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Cosmetic only, except the sidequest connected to it links to one of the endings. But otherwise there's no downside, except the zombie look.

I just beat the
Crystal Sage
a little while ago, and I'm currently level 42. Still rolling with the default Knight Armor. Is it time to upgrade to something else? My concern is that heavier stuff would make my dodge rolls slower and I'd rather avoid that if possible. I'd put more points into my vitality to increase my carry weight, but it seems like such a slow grind to get to a decent carry weight. Opinions?
Level 42 at crystal sage? Wtf

So i'm assuming
soul of the lords
is the final boss?

Just beat him. Seems like a DS1 similar chose your ending. Walk out, or link the flame. Any extra gameplay if i chose either or?

sn00zer

Finally (FINALLY) getting the hang of it after many hours. Took me much longer to get into this than Bloodborne, which I felt like I hopped ight into after playing DS1. Game is pretty good, but there is something that just feels "off" about everything and I have no idea how to explain it.. Feels like this game came before Bloodborne instead of after.

I tried loads of invasions, its screwed up in this game. Everyone I invade has a damn team of phantoms waiting to destroy me. Why is there no one playing this alone? Sometimes I get an invade ally too and it becomes an all out war, which is fun but I miss the one on one combat. Also the wolf covenant seems to never work for me, none of the protect covenants have worked once for me. DS2 did online better.

I really don't get the elemental stats now. So I have a fire scythe, very powerful, total damage is more than my katana. I fought this creature that was weak to fire, I used a fire spell and it had huge damage. I use my fire scythe and I do less damage than my plain katana, how does that make any sense. I have a dark weapon, seems no one is weak to that, I continuously do less damage than I should with it. The elemental system is just poor in this series. Is this like DS1 where everything is weak to lightning.

The level design is fantastic though, best in the series.

Man, when I get summoned for a boss of a first timer, it almost always ends with them getting killed :v. I wished the would try it once or twice first...

Wadiwasi

Banned
Is it worth putting points in dexterity early on for the Katana?

Almost any weapon can be made viable for most or the entire game.

However if you didn't really plan on making your character mostly dexterity
you will find options with the Smith to make the scaling work with other stats....you will still need the minimum required of whichever stat the weapon calls for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom