• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there really no shortcuts or new bonfires on
cathedral of the deep
? I made it to
where that giant is
but when I got there I was out of estus and I had to many souls to risk it...

Is he hostile?

That place has multiple shortcuts, look for an elevator nearby.

Third one is your ally (sort of). Stay away and he will attack the others. Try to keep it a 1v1 fight for him so you don't have the other two ganging up on him.

For phase 2. Stay away and wait for the right time to strike. The second you start getting caught in his dumb flame trails it's pretty much over. Backstabs are the best way to deal with this fight, when he does his smash down move you have a window to get him. Backstab, then immediately charge R2, then either wail on him further or get another backstab if possible. If your weapons are doing the proper damage it shouldn't be an issue

I don't even know how to properly backstab. I feel like it's been random for me so far. Even that I can't get the other Watcher to engage the main one

How far into the game do I get to respec? I don't mind some spoilers. My stats are all messed up.
I am not sure how far you are, but it is available in the
Cathedral of the Deep area. That is about the
4th
zone you would end up in depending on which routes you take.

I don't even know how to properly backstab. I feel like it's been random for me so far. Even that I can't get the other Watcher to engage the main one
There's three watchers. Glowing red eyes is the helpful one. The other two will not fight. All you need to do is stay away from red eyes and he will fight whoever is closest

For backstabs I know what you mean, just gotta get behind them and tap R1. Catch him in recovery frames (or just when he's standing still, otherwise it won't register as a backstab. Definitely seems pickier about it

Xeteh

The second one to spawn won't, it is the third. His eyes glow red.
And as far as backstabbing make sure you're directly behind, your shield is down (if you're using one) and you just press R1. Nothing else required.

Am I missing something in order to invade as an Aldrich Faithful?

I can join other games by leaving my summoning sign and join in on some jolly co-op to help others, so I know there are plenty of players in the area. I can also see the covenant logo fading in an out which I assume is some matchmaking thing, but it can't find anything unless I'm laying my summon sign down. Unless there is something I need to do first that I'm unaware of, I have no idea why it won't teleport me to protect as an Aldrich Faithful. Wore the Watchdogs of Farron item for a while as well and not once did it match me with anyone...

Is there something I'm not doing right here? I thought I just had to equip the covenant item and it would find me a world to invade...

It has to do with hollow and the shattered covenant icon. I thought there were no summons after a ton of hollow but there is. The one thing I have NEVER had happen is me be summoned by one of those covenants.

There's three watchers. Glowing red eyes is the helpful one. The other two will not fight. All you need to do is stay away from red eyes and he will fight whoever is closest

For backstabs I know what you mean, just gotta get behind them and tap R1. Catch him in recovery frames (or just when he's standing still, otherwise it won't register as a backstab. Definitely seems pickier about it

The second one to spawn won't, it is the third. His eyes glow red.
And as far as backstabbing make sure you're directly behind, your shield is down (if you're using one) and you just press R1. Nothing else required.

OOOOOoooooh. I noticed that. I'm gonna try and tackle an optional boss before I go back there. I just need a change.

valkyre

Guys what is wrong with From Software and frame pacing? I am asking for real, is it their engine that makes it hard to eliminate this issue, is it some other reason altogether?

I honestly refuse to believe that they just ignore the situation and just dont care. There must be a valid reason why they wont fix this problem all these years.

Anyone tech savvy enough can answer this?

Just picked up a day one edition and played an hour or so.

Liking it so far, chose the assassin class. That any good? Lol

Haven't had any trouble so far, got to
firelink shrine
and stopped for the night.

RedSwirl

It's starting to look like despite having beaten the previous Souls games, starting Dark Souls III with a dodge-oriented DEX character was not the right decision. Five hours in and I'm still at, like, the second bonfire at the High Wall of Lorthric. I haven't even seen the first boss after
Firelink Shrine

Usually I make it as far as some axe dudes in a room before I either die or decided I've used too much Estus and turn back. Can't really seem to figure out the attack patterns well enough to reliably dodge in this game. That spear Lorthric Knight takes two Estus out of me every time I fight him.

Is there something I missed by not playing Bloodborne?

Afrocious

No idea how I seemingly made it through that swamp with no Estus.

Me, my broadsword, and I.

Would like to try out new weapons though. What's the Dark Sword?

ship it

I have a NPC questline question if anyone can help, cause I think I'm pretty bummed if I messed it up.

I got the fire keeper soul and saw patches on the other side of the gate, as I was falling to my death cause the elevator had gone down. When I went back he was gone. Is there any way to see him again?

Baliis

Trying to do some invasions, but I don't think I've had a single one in like 7 in a row now that wasn't a 3v1. Wheres the fun in that?

Am I too overlevelled to do stuff coop/pvp in NG at level 90? Need to make my contributions to all these covenants.

Not really. You can kick those dudes shields or alternatively if you have a straight sword you can use the battle art and just blast right through them. As for your dodges being off, they just are really. Are you rolling too early or too late? You'll develop a sense of when to dodge with time.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Am I too overlevelled to do stuff coop/pvp in NG at level 90? Need to make my contributions to all these covenants.

Unless you want to sit at the end boss, I would go into NG+

Trying to do some invasions, but I don't think I've had a single one in like 7 in a row now that wasn't a 3v1. Wheres the fun in that?
You've been unlucky enough to find people who don't want to deal with your shit. Lay down a duel sign if you want 1 on 1.

RPGam3r

Lots of mobs in this game, wonder if it'll get a pass or if the community will be consistent with its critism?

Any loving the game, it is always finding a way to be fresh.

It's starting to look like despite having beaten the previous Souls games, starting Dark Souls III with a dodge-oriented DEX character was not the right decision. Five hours in and I'm still at, like, the second bonfire at the High Wall of Lorthric. I haven't even seen the first boss after
Firelink Shrine

Usually I make it as far as some axe dudes in a room before I either die or decided I've used too much Estus and turn back. Can't really seem to figure out the attack patterns well enough to reliably dodge in this game. That spear Lorthric Knight takes two Estus out of me every time I fight him.

Maybe? I started as a Mercenary. I've ignored shields beyond the beginning of the game (honestly they feel useless to me beyond blocking arrows/darts). I've put all of my points into endurance, dex, and strength. I haven't had much of an issue really.

My only issue was not having enough strength to wield some of the cool stuff I was getting, so I dumped like 10/12 more points to eventually get to 24 but I'm back to DEX. My main weapons all scale with it

Are you not used to playing more aggressively/without a shield? That's the only thing I could see you not being used to from Bloodborne. BB honestly caused bad habits for me (and others) where you're used to attacking to get health back, but then you realize in DS3 you aren't getting shit lol. DS3 is a far more patient game but the AI aggression is definitely back from BB

Lots of mobs in this game, wonder if it'll get a pass or if the community will be consistent with its critism?

Any loving the game, it is always finding a way to be fresh.

I'm only 10 hours in but haven't seen anything particularly poor. So far enemy placement is far better and way more thought out than DS2 (SotFS)

Xeteh

yea that fucked me up too

but watching videos of that fight after I beat it...it's really telegraphed

just run away once he starts it

I learned the hard way in my first run that once he goes second form, best to back the fuck up. It's an easy attack to dodge when you have enough spacing to roll backwards after the first hit, then punish once he's done slashing air, but it's an easy 1/2+ health bar gone thing if he catches you in it early enough.

So I had been using a Claymore... basically through the entire game. Got tired of feeling like the slow swing was costing me so I upgraded a Broadsword to +9 and made it Refined, beat him pretty easily after that.

UberLevi

So, I travelled back to Undead Settlement and ran into this:

http://i.imgur.com/L5rOzeA.jpg

Possible major spoilers, but does anyone who's really late into the game or has already completed it know if this is normal? I feel like this is conditional, but I don't know exactly which thing triggered it.

Soulflarz

Banned
So, I travelled back to Undead Settlement and ran into this:

http://i.imgur.com/L5rOzeA.jpg

Possible major spoilers, but does anyone who's really late into the game or has already completed it know if this is normal? I feel like this is conditional, but I don't know exactly which thing triggered it.

it happens over time I know
as in, distance into the game
it's to make the final boss fight look cool obviously

What do you guys reckon I should focus on stats wise to start with for my pyro? I put my health up about 5 levels, got my Dex to 15 and am now alternating between int and faith which are at 17&16 IIRC. Oh I also got my attunement up to 2 slots but haven't had the chance to buy another spell yet.

Apparently this game hates rendering faces because I've crashed 8 times and every time I figured out it's because I switched to a helmet where you can see my whole face

Okay, I need serious advice...

I'm a Dark Souls newb, I've just beaten
Abyss Watchers
, but I've found my weapons suck big nuts. I tried a strength build, until I realize nearly every god damned cool looking sword in the game requires dexterity. What build will allow me to use cool swords?

str/dex? How should I be distributing stats? Ahhhhhh

Dresden

What do you guys reckon I should focus on stats wise to start with for my pyro? I put my health up about 5 levels, got my Dex to 15 and am now alternating between int and faith which are at 17&16 IIRC. Oh I also got my attunement up to 2 slots but haven't had the chance to buy another spell yet.

Vigor to 27 is a priority for any build

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Okay, I need serious advice...

I'm a Dark Souls newb, I've just beaten
Abyss Watchers
, but I've found my weapons suck big nuts. I tried a strength build, until I realize nearly every god damned cool looking sword in the game requires dexterity. What build will allow me to use cool swords?

str/dex? How should I be distributing stats? Ahhhhhh

What about the uncool looking swords? There's a ton of greatswords that have str as their primary stat.

Dahbomb

I beat the
two Old watch Dogs at the bottom of a building near the entrance to A nor Londor.

God damn the ring you get from them is nice, basically the dragon ring for DS2. That was actually kinda worth it plus you get some other items and a Bonfire in that place.

Also really disappointed in the
Yhorm boss fight. Such cool design and animations but it's relegated to a pure gimmick fight. I died a few times trying to figure out the trick to the Storm sword weapon but once I did it was the easiest Souls boss ever.

I hope the rest of the Lord of Cinders aren't like this.

Landford

Banned
Had an amazing 2x2 duel on the
Farrons Keep
. Entrance. Dark Spirit kept running through the mobs to bait us, and he ran where the
Black Knight
was, taunting us to come get him. I lost, but it was an amusing fight :p

Xeteh

I beat the
two Old watch Dogs at the bottom of a building near the entrance to A nor Londor.

God damn the ring you get from them is nice, basically the dragon ring for DS2. That was actually kinda worth it plus you get some other items and a Bonfire in that place.

Man, I had so much trouble with those fucking things. The first one you encounter upon entering the zone gave me zero issue... those two assholes killed me so many times.

Vigor to 27 is a priority for any build

Why 27 specifically?

What about the uncool looking swords? There's a ton of greatswords that have str as their primary stat.

A lot of those, like the Exile Greatsword require minimum 16-18 dexterity. Can I get away with putting the minimum in then putting the rest in strength? Or do I need to max both?

Dahbomb

Man, I had so much trouble with those fucking things. The first one you encounter upon entering the zone gave me zero issue... those two assholes killed me so many times.

Why 27 specifically?
Nah can't fight them one on one. Gotta lure one in with a bow shot, then fight one on one.

The 2nd one ends up being a lot easier because you have more room and pillars to use as cover. And they don't respawn so you just need to kill them once.

Xeteh

A lot of those, like the Exile Greatsword require minimum 16-18 dexterity. Can I get away with putting the minimum in then putting the rest in strength? Or do I need to max both?

There's no harm in putting in enough dex for minimum requirements. And if you end up liking a sword that has equal scaling with Dex/Str its beneficial to level both. DS1/2 both had diminishing returns with scaling after 40, so quality weapons (both str/dex scaling) would allow you to gain a lot of damage at the sacrifice of survivability.

Where should I go after beating
Yhorm
? I'm having fun revisiting previous areas and exploring around, but I kind of want a hint as to what to do next.

Uriah

Do you have a choice to enter NG+ or not? I would like to wait for the DLC to come out before starting NG+ if possible.

LiK

Yeah same. The only time it worked seemed to be a NPC summon.
It kept failing when I put down my soapstone too.

i haven't seen any NPC summons at all. never bothered to look up where they are.

Do you have a choice to enter NG+ or not? I would like to wait for the DLC to come out before starting NG+ if possible.

i would like to know this too. since Miyazaki is back in charge of this, i worry it might not have that option like in DkS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom