• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no harm in putting in enough dex for minimum requirements. And if you end up liking a sword that has equal scaling with Dex/Str its beneficial to level both. DS1/2 both had diminishing returns with scaling after 40, so quality weapons (both str/dex scaling) would allow you to gain a lot of damage at the sacrifice of survivability.

Thank you! I thought I would gimp myself if I put in the minimum.. So the letter grade determines the ratio of points. Thank you!

UberLevi

Anyone know why I suddenly started getting every status effect to fill up for a split second after loading into an area? Seems like a bug. Whenever I fast travel or respawn every single status effect bar pops up for a split second and deteriorates from about 5% full down to zero.

LiK

I've heard that's other people getting the summon before you so I can't get too mad at the game.

yea, i read that was a possibility. pretty annoying when i click on like a dozen summon signs in a row and none of them can join.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
You need to find out how it scales. If the sword requires say 30 str and 14 dex, then you can take a guess that it's going to scale more with str as you upgrade it.

In that case (unless it's changed in this game) is to get the minimum dex required to use it single handed and then pump your str up to 40.

I've pretty much gone with str only weapons and the ones that had a tiny dex rating, I slapped a heavy gem onto it to be able to scale more with str.

Afrocious

game legit made me scream. was walking toward some stairs in the swamp. heard a growl behind me. i turn the camera and a
giant swamp monster stomped me to death with a tree.

Xeteh

game legit made me scream. was walking toward some stairs in the swamp. heard a growl behind me. i turn the camera and a
giant swamp monster stomped me to death with a tree.

This game gave me some real oh shit moments but won't lie, nothing got me like that bloody werewolf bursting through church doors in Bloodborne. That area had me on edge already, that made nope the fuck out with my souls.

Anyone go for a dex/int build or is that a bad idea?

I'm going Dex and using sorcery (just Magic Weapon and Spook). I started as Deprived and that gives you an Int of 10, which is enough for both those spells. I am using a ring that gives you an extra spell slot, so I didn't level Attunement, which is also at 10. Once I get Dex to 40, maybe I'll level up Attunement to get the next slot.

K' Dash

I'm asking again, does anyone know what the arrows below the souls counter mean? shit's driving me crazy and can't find anything about it.

This game gave me some real oh shit moments but won't lie, nothing got me like that bloody werewolf bursting through church doors in Bloodborne. That area had me on edge already, that made nope the fuck out with my souls.
Haha, that just got me last week even though I've beaten the game 3 times. Fucking made me jump like a baby.

I'm asking again, does anyone know what the arrows below the souls counter mean? shit's driving me crazy and can't find anything about it.

Shows that you have a buff because of a ring or a consumable you used. Green arrows? You have a stamina buff, probably from Chloranthy Ring or Grass Crest Shield.

K' Dash

Shows that you have a buff because of a ring or a consumable you used. Green arrows? You have a stamina buff, probably from Chloranthy Ring or Grass Crest Shield.

The buffs show below the Stamina Bar, I'm talking about two arrows forming a circle, just below the Souls counter.

So, I get the game today. Anything I should know before I start? I've played all Souls games + Bloodborne.

Starting gift?

Does the MP work or is it still "summoning failed" all the time?

Jesus I'm about to give up. Going on a dex build was not a good idea.

Someone PLEASE help me with
Lorian and Lothric
? My nickname on steam is: panzermeyer (or takenbr).

Add me.
I want to git gud but I keep dying :(

Ken

You mean the weird auras? I think they're gone. I'm wearing a Chloranthy Ring and the only indicator I have of the buff are the arrows under my bars.

yo spoilers wtf

You still get auras from certain rings like the one Greirat gives. Maybe only for stuff with a "trigger at X" condition so you can tell when you have the effect without looking top left.

Jiraiza

I spent about 2 hours just summoning dark spirits and mad phnatoms for 1v1 duels at the Cleansing Chapel. Good jolly fun. Kind of all out of embers though.

I lost almost all of them.

In the 40-50 range, if anyone's interested. Tomorrow, that is.

ISee

I spent about 2 hours just summoning dark spirits and mad phnatoms for 1v1 duels at the Cleansing Chapel. Good jolly fun. Kind of all out of embers though.

I lost almost all of them.

In the 40-50 range, if anyone's interested. Tomorrow, that is.

I bet you won all of them and now you are just tempting us...
Your evil tactics won't work here evil phantom!

j/k

What platform are you playing on?

daninthemix

It's starting to look like despite having beaten the previous Souls games, starting Dark Souls III with a dodge-oriented DEX character was not the right decision. Five hours in and I'm still at, like, the second bonfire at the High Wall of Lorthric. I haven't even seen the first boss after
Firelink Shrine

Usually I make it as far as some axe dudes in a room before I either die or decided I've used too much Estus and turn back. Can't really seem to figure out the attack patterns well enough to reliably dodge in this game. That spear Lorthric Knight takes two Estus out of me every time I fight him.

Is there something I missed by not playing Bloodborne?

The thing is, if you try and go with a shield character you'll get constantly guard-broken because the enemies attack so relentlessly, and the shield stability is so low until mid-game when you start to see better shields.

In DS1 having a shield and actually using it to block was a viable choice. In this it isn't, really. Certainly not for the first half of the game.

So dodging is pretty much mandatory.

Odrion

Banned
Not finished with the game at all or anything, but something's been making me curious: Is the game really shorter than the others? Before launch there was some debates, but from the looks of things it really might be the shortest one by a noticeable amount.

Jiraiza

I bet you won all of them and now you are just tempting us...
Your evil tactics won't work here evil phantom!

j/k

What platform are you playing on?

No joke, I suck.

PC, though I could turn cross-platform on. I'm done for the night, though.

Initial thoughts I've read about it is that int and faith spells have been severely nerfed for this game so far. YMMV.

Yup, I'm aware it will not necessarily be the easiest path, just looking for a way to make it work.

I'm going Dex and using sorcery (just Magic Weapon and Spook). I started as Deprived and that gives you an Int of 10, which is enough for both those spells. I am using a ring that gives you an extra spell slot, so I didn't level Attunement, which is also at 10. Once I get Dex to 40, maybe I'll level up Attunement to get the next slot.

Right, yes. I also found spook to be very helpful. Mostly trying to figure out what type of upgrade path I should be pursuing.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
In order to see signs the boss in that area has to be alive, right? Even with a password?

I believe so. It was always like that in the other versions. Well, Dark Souls 2 had an area with 2 separate boss doors, so I was able to summon there after I beat one of them.

I believe so. It was always like that in the other versions. Well, Dark Souls 2 had an area with 2 separate boss doors, so I was able to summon there.
Yeah, but Dark Souls 2 also had the small signs, which you could see anywhere, regardless of boss status. So I'm curious if they implemented something like that here.

CHC

So I feel like all the people complaining about the linearity have not actually discovered BOTH F
arron Kee
p and The C
athedral of the Dee
p. I played through the Keep at my friends house and then started my own game at home and went the other way purely by accident. It's no small detour - legitimately huge area to explore.

Also is it me or is the C
athedral
the cruelest Dark Souls zone yet? It may not be the hardest but I think it might be the most wicked, clever, ambush ridden fucking hellhole in the series. There are literally assassins in every shadow and ambushes at every turn. It's insane and I love it.

Puppen

Banned
Holy fucking shit I
rithyl
Dungeon

Almost had a fucking heart attack at the screaming corpse in the cell right to the left of the first bonfire. God damn.

Not finished with the game at all or anything, but something's been making me curious: Is the game really shorter than the others? Before launch there was some debates, but from the looks of things it really might be the shortest one by a noticeable amount.

depends on how you play. I like exploring and finding secrets. I'm over 25 hours in at around 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom