• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys serious question....Is using summons in the game considered being cheap? I'm arguing with my cousin (who by the way is using a cracked version of the game, so no online play for him), and it's the first Souls game that we're playing and plan on finishing (I only played the firs DS for 14h).

I was speaking with him about how I used summons in my last two boss fights (for the
Undead Legion
and for
High lord Woldor
).
Since we're not spoiling each other (he's at the beginning of the
Road of Sacrifices
, so I only said that I was fighting two bosses with summons, bosses not the type (couldn't tell him that the
Undead Legion Boss fight has 3 guys at once thrown at you
) so he's saying that I'm being cheap and that it doesn't count, which in my opinion is stupid thinking, I mean, summoning is a part of the game, why not use it?

What's your honest opinion guys? I'm looking at it this way, no mater how I play the game, there will always be someone to say "Duuhh that doesn't count, you didn't play it with a guitar hero controller!". Well, I'm not planing on using summons in a while, until really really needed.

And just to add I actually Immediately made myself available for summoning at the
Undead Legion Fight
and I actually helped out a dude, I practically did the fight alone xD

Sounds like a plan :) Two other things - do you use Steady Chant From what I saw it only increased damage by about 5% so didn't seem worth it but I don't know if it scales with anything so moght be worth it down the line? Also, do Estus heal set amount or percentage? I'd not put any points into Attunement like I said because I don't need any extra slots but if it heals percentage it would be worth increasing FP.

To be honest most times I simply forget using Steady Chant, if its only 5% it really doesnt seem worth it anyway...;-)

So for attunement, you know that attunement determines the amount of your FP? If your running around with base attunement, only two slots and and low FP its no wonder you are having problems (= no fun) as a sorcerer...;-) More slots gives you more tools to play with, spells sword for example is great against mulitple enemies if you time it right. Without enough FP you will not stand a chance later in the game because the better spells do cost a lot more FP so youll be low on FP all the time.

KHlover

Banned
Ok guys serious question....Is using summons in the game considered being cheap? I'm arguing with my cousin (who by the way is using a cracked version of the game, so no online play for him), and it's the first Souls game that we're playing and plan on finishing (I only played the firs DS for 14h).

I was speaking with him about how I used summons in my last two boss fights (for the
Undead Legion
and for
High lord Woldor
).
Road of Sacrifices
, so I only said that I was fighting two bosses with summons, bosses not the type (couldn't tell him that the
) so he's saying that I'm being cheap and that it doesn't count, which in my opinion is stupid thinking, I mean, summoning is a part of the game, why not use it?

What's your honest opinion guys? I'm looking at it this way, no mater how I play the game, there will always be someone to say "Duuhh that doesn't count, you didn't play it with a guitar hero controller!". Well, I'm not planing on using summons in a while, until really really needed.

And just to add I actually Immediately made myself available for summoning at the
Undead Legion Fight

Some bosses become 'harder' (rather more drawn out), some become a complete joke (
Abyss Watchers
is pretty hard in SP, in CoOp play I defeated him 30 times with ease yesterday). Personally I think using summons is admitting you didn't git gud enough, but if someone enjoys the game more with summons - go for it!

Undead Legion
and for
High lord Woldor
).
Road of Sacrifices

Undead Legion Fight

Summons (doesnt matter if human or ai) remove any challenge from the game. Thats simply because any enemy ai is simply not made for dealing with multiple players. Its not a bad thing, coop is made for having fun with friends or for players that need/want help with bosses etc.

Audioboxer

Aw man the
Great Corvian
Scythe is awesome. That item description as well <3

I'm all over the place deciding on this build. From online research it might just be best to keep stats for str/dex at minimum on a pyro, rather than go for 40 dex. If so

Starting Class: Pyro
SL: 125

Vigor - 40
Attunement - 24
Endurance - 20
Vitality - 9
Strength - 16
Dexterity - 18
Intelligence - 40
Faith - 40
Luck - 7

If chaos infusion is underwhelming I'll just drop back down to 30/30 int&faith and pump dex back up to 40. I guess for now I'll put my scythe to raw or fire early game. Probably raw and I can just buff it.

TitusTroy

Ok guys serious question....Is using summons in the game considered being cheap? I'm arguing with my cousin (who by the way is using a cracked version of the game, so no online play for him), and it's the first Souls game that we're playing and plan on finishing (I only played the firs DS for 14h)

to me using summon help is cheap...all the bosses can be (and should be) beaten solo...using helpers is almost like cheating and lessens the experience dramatically...if a person can't beat the game solo then maybe the game isn't for them and they should try playing something which suits them better...to each his own but to me Souls game are the ultimate gaming experience...nothing like it

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm watching Santzo speedrun and he just did the
Pontiff
fight.... wtf I can't believe what I just watched.
He parried him a couple of times, then avoided a couple of his attacks by doing the path of the dragon gesture, then finished him off
The entire fight took him maybe half a minute, it's insane

Undead Legion
and for
High lord Woldor
).
Road of Sacrifices

Undead Legion Fight
I personally find it more fun to help other people than to summon someone else. It's just more of a challenge when you can clear through everything without needing help from soneone else but that's just me. Someone might enjoy that Co-op feeling of clearing through a level/boss with a friend or a partner.

Personally I enjoy PvP much more than jolly Co-operation.

And using summons is in no way cheap. If it was, the option wouldn't be there.

ogbg

Undead Legion
and for
High lord Woldor
).
Road of Sacrifices

Undead Legion Fight

It's not cheap or cheating or whatever but you miss out on the best part of the game IMO. If that's not the best part of the game for you then just do it.

myco666

Undead Legion
and for
High lord Woldor
).
Road of Sacrifices

Undead Legion Fight

I myself prefer going solo on all fights the first time so that I learn the encounter. Summoning is still a mechanic in the game and should be used if you want to use it. Nothing cheap about it since you are using game mechanics. If you bugged the game to make it easier then it would be cheap.

Summons (doesnt matter if human or ai) remove any challenge from the game. Thats simply because any enemy ai is simply not made for dealing with multiple players. Its not a bad thing, coop is made for having fun with friends or for players that need/want help with bosses etc.

What? There is usually still challenge left even with summons. You still need to know how to avoid getting hit by certain moves and know what to do. Summoning makes it easier sure but the boss can still provide a challenge.

One of my favorite things to do in this game is helping people beat an area/boss after beating it solo. Example, I beat
High Lord Wolnir
and quickly started jolly co-operating with others to beat him. Damn this game is fantastic.

myco666

to me using summon help is cheap...all the bosses can be (and should be) beaten solo...using helpers is almost like cheating and lessens the experience dramatically...if a person can't beat the game solo then maybe the game isn't for them and they should try playing something which suits them better...to each his own but to me Souls game are the ultimate gaming experience...nothing like it

Just wow. This is like saying "if you don't do SL1 fist-only run as your first playthrough maybe you should play something different". Not using summons is basically a challenge run since you are ignoring a game mechanic to make the game harder for you.

Derpot

Undead Legion
and for
High lord Woldor
).
Road of Sacrifices

Undead Legion Fight

I'd say it depends sometimes. But yeah when you summon 3 guys and the fight is a 4 vs1, it's very cheap lol (but it's kinda hilarious).
I tried to beat the game without summoning but I ended up doing it for 2 "end-game" bosses, because I was a bit impatient for those two, eh.

NEO0MJ

Choosing which weapon to use your Titanite Scales on is so difficult. I feel forced to collect all boss weapons before spending them.

What? There is usually still challenge left even with summons. You still need to know how to avoid getting hit by certain moves and know what to do. Summoning makes it easier sure but the boss can still provide a challenge.

I feel it depends on the boss. Some of them crack when there's more than one player to fight while others can deal with it.

GorillaJu

Woo, one-shotted NK on NG+.

I really don't think this is a hard boss, people make far too much out of it. I don't even know what it is that people find hard in the second phase.

Just wow. This is like saying "if you don't do SL1 fist-only run as your first playthrough maybe you should play something different". Not using summons is basically a challenge run since you are ignoring a game mechanic to make the game harder for you.

thats like saying not playing on easy mode/with cheats is ignoring a game mechanic to make the game harder for you lol

I'd say it depends sometimes. But yeah when you summon 3 guys and the fight is a 4 vs1, it's very cheap lol (but it's kinda hilarious).
I tried to beat the game without summoning but I ended up doing it for 2 "end-game" bosses, because I was a bit impatient for those two, eh.

I only summon one player, since I think that summoning more than 1 player would be really going into easy mode....but I heard that the bosses get a boost in HP for every summoned player (200% for one summon, 300% for 2 and so on)?

Where is the closer bonfire?

It's in the tunnels with the ball of skeletons rolling back and forth, the one before the room with the couple of rats and enemies. You can open a shortcut from the rope bridge area by pulling a switch which makes a vertical bar barrier go up.

Also (new area discovery in the Catacombs big spoiler)
If you fall down from the rope bridge, you'll disover the Smouldering Lake area.

GorillaJu

I only summon one player, since I think that summoning more than 1 player would be really going into easy mode....but I heard that the bosses get a boost in HP for every summoned player (200% for one summon, 300% for 2 and so on)?

The game is infinitely easier with coop. The HP buff bosses get... maybe it's 125% or 150%, but it's definitely not a 100% increase per player.

myco666

I feel it depends on the boss. Some of them crack when there's more than one player to fight while others can deal with it.

Yeah some bosses definitely can't handle more than one player properly but I've still had bunch of hosts die on me when doing co-op so there definitely is still a challenge.

thats like saying not playing on easy mode/with cheats is ignoring a game mechanic to make the game harder for you lol

Except summoning is a actual mechanic. Much like leveling and upgrading weapons.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, man. Just dont come in the thread saying "so eazy!11" when you called for help against bosses that are clearly designed for 1v1 and seem actively confused when targeting multiple people.

brainslug

And finished.

Whan an awesome game. On par with DS1, and a lot better than DS2.

Some of the bosses were just brutal, so fast and aggressive!

I think the only place I didn't visit is the
super-secret dragon place.
Have to look up how to get there.

Jessus, didn't know that it bothers you guys so much when a new souls player uses summons xD Ok, won't use them anymore (only used them twice, and I managed to beat the previous bosses alone). Sorry if I created an upstir :/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and done. 45 hours for every zone, every boss. Ended up only summoning for 3 bosses, which compared to previous souls games, is an acomplishment lol.

Probably my favorite Souls game, but I usually prefer the latest one anyway. It does feel like a "greatest hits" game, but for someone that usually only plays the latest of the series, thats actually a good thing, means most if not all zones (nah, fuck
smouldering lake
) are excellent and memorable at least visually. It also has the best weapons and armors in the game (which is cheating since it has all the previous shit and some cool new ones but still).

I probably wont jump into NG+ because I'd rather do the DLC not super hard (I bet its gonna be harder than the main game as it is), and I usually move on to other games anyway, but I do want to farm a bit and upgrade this other weapon I got.

Jessus, didn't know that it bothers you guys so much when a new souls player uses summons xD Ok, won't use them anymore (only used them twice, and I managed to beat the previous bosses alone). Sorry if I created an upstir :/

dude you play however you want, fuck people pressuring you into how you "should" play. Fuck I hate that shit

Zoggy

well fuck

i accidentally killed the merchant lady in the shrine.

but screw it i'm not going to restart when i'm 10 hours in.

theres other merchants in the game right? that return to the shrine?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

Play games for fun if people are trying to stoo ur enjoyment cos ur playing x way then they can fuck off frankly. Its entertainment plain and simple. If it entertains you a different way to someone else because your doing it different to them why does it matter ?

Shredderi

Play games for fun if people are trying to stoo ur enjoyment cos ur playing x way then they can fuck off frankly. Its entertainment plain and simple. If it entertains you a different way to someone else because your doing it different to them why does it matter ?

Yeah, this. No shame in summoning when things get too frustrating. I've summoned an NPC helper two times.

Lol dat elitist mentality.

Dude who thinks coop is on par with using cheats should get a chance to talk with Miyazaki so he can see how wrong he is.

Dereck

In the High Wall of Lothric on on the opposite side of the boss where the ladder is, I see people with bonfires in that room, how do I unlock the bonfire in there where the lady is sitting in the chair?

GorillaJu

It's the camera in the first phase, it's a disaster. Second phase is a cake-walk.

I see most people say the second phase is too hard and the first phase is easy. I had no problem with the camera in the first phase - like every boss fight, I lock on and off when it benefits me. It's not bad at all.

Ken

well fuck

i accidentally killed the merchant lady in the shrine.

but screw it i'm not going to restart when i'm 10 hours in.

theres other merchants in the game right? that return to the shrine?

Yeah.

In the High Wall of Lothric on on the opposite side of the boss where the ladder is, I see people with bonfires in that room, how do I unlock the bonfire in there where the lady is sitting in the chair?

Part of the story. If you really want that bonfire early I think you can kill the lady to advance that event chain.

Ok, exact same damn place after the last day. Late game.
Champion Gundyr. I literally give up. This piece of shit is harder than any boss from DeS, DaS, DaS2 or BB. At stage 2 it becomes such bullshit, he literally never stops attacking and has infinite stamina.It feels entirely luck based since he can just go on a random string of attacks that you wouldn't expect can be chained together at all.

Derpot

Woo, one-shotted NK on NG+.

I really don't think this is a hard boss, people make far too much out of it. I don't even know what it is that people find hard in the second phase.

Wat, what weapon did you use to beat him? I can't even put his HP to midlife during the second phase.
Camera is shit during the first one but I manage not to waste too many Estus vials, so I think it's not that bad, but just very, very annoying and a waste of time.
But during the second phase, he wrecks my shit, he doesn't let me heal and he hits really hard.
I know I need to "git gud" and shit, but really, it's definitely one of the hardest bosses of the series.

Finally back into it. Next boss down. Still shieldless using only the Uchi with the occasional weapon buff.

P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQsgQB5rslY

I'm pretty proud of my performance for about 3/4ths of the fight (particularly the two parries, and especially the parry at around 39 seconds) and then I kinda lose control and it gets messy, lol. A win's a win, though, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom