• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

97 upvotes on my messages, but I noticed only the first one or maybe two upvotes actually heal you. After that I think you have to re-log to get more.

pa22word

Right. These boss fights just gets me so furious that I lose the ability to actually think. Should've pumped like 40 into vigor or something because all bosses at the minimum two shots me. The first strike gets me down to 40-30%hp. Universally speaking. Every boss hits super hard in this.

You kinda ran into a bad spot here too, because that boss is probably the hardest non-optional boss in the game.

On my latest run I beat it first go, but I was running on zero estus by the end of it >_<

what-ok

If you plan to keep leveling DEX yeah, I assume it's the best choice yep, provided Sharp stones further increase already DEX rating in DEX scaling weapons (I think it does but not 100% sure yet).
Decided on taking off the fire and replacing with sharp. So a +5 uchi infused sharp with 35 dex is dam 161 + 103. Not bad. Excited to see it as I pump up dex throughout this play through.

I wouldn't mind as much but isn't there like 3 covenants you need to do this for? So stupid.

Co-op sure. PVP? Rather spend hours/days farming than engage that aspect of the game.

The issue for
The Darkmoon, Watchdogs and mount makers are you need 30 covenant items and those require pvp. I have not really checked since Worldwide release but during the Japaneses release I never gotten summon for the Darkmoon. The covenant drop rates from the Silver knights are still very terrible and I have 342 item discovery. Watchdogs covenant drop rates are a little better. And you can use password matching to summon a mount maker to get the 30 mount maker covenant items easier.

So is Aldritch (I just reached his boss. Haven't beat him yet)
a still-living, mutated Gwyndolyn? He has the crown, the song and the mutated lower body.

Edit:
and those damn arrows

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lol now I cant even get to phase 2 on the last boss >_<

pa22word

When I was looking at it on the shop screen it kind of sounded like it might be similar in function to Throne Defender's GS. Similar moveset iyo?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh that was actually pretty easy. dodge, poke, dodge, poke, dodge, poke.

well alrighty then

Mandelbo

Another question:

What the hell does the 'Cinematic Effects' on/off in the options menu actually do, I have no clue. Forgot if thats the actual name of it but something to that effect.

It stops the camera shake that happens when you do a backstab or a riposte. Personally I prefer it off.

He's hard as fuck to hit in phase 1 and hits as hard as fuck in phase 2.

Phase 1 isn't that bad - just hit the
dragon's head rather than the guy riding.
Should take him down in no time at all.

Milijango

So is Aldritch (I just reached his boss. Haven't beat him yet)
a still-living, mutated Gwyndolyn? He has the crown, the song and the mutated lower body.

Edit:
and those damn arrows

He ate
Gwyndolin.
They don't call him devourer of gods for nothing.
Priscilla too, since he uses Lifehunt Scythe.

myco666

I wouldn't mind PvP for item farming if it was 1vs1 most of the time, but all those childish gamkers are making me don't give a crap.

That and I hate PVP in general. IMO it is the worst part of these games.

The issue for
The Darkmoon, Watchdogs and mount makers are you need 30 covenant items and those require pvp. I have not really checked since Worldwide release but during the Japaneses release I never gotten summon for the Darkmoon. The covenant drop rates from the Silver knights are still very terrible and I have 342 item discovery. Watchdogs covenant drop rates are a little better. And you can use password matching to summon a mount maker to get the 30 mount maker covenant items easier.

Yeah I might start boosting everything that I can so that I can ignore PVP as much as possible.

NK is the worst boss.

THE WORST BOSS.

The best boss.
First phase sucks though with the camera being shit and missing attacks constantly.

Rurunaki

I
rithyll Dungeon
is Tower of Latria all over again.. Love the ambience and the random shrieks and screams.. Do not play at night..

Audioboxer

If I retweak my proposed pyro/luck build from earlier to

Starting Class: Pyro
SL: 125

Vigor - 40
Attunement - 18
Endurance - 20
Vitality - 11
Strength - 18
Dexterity - 40
Intelligence - 30
Faith - 30
Luck - 7

Would I be best going with a sharp infusion on a weapon or chaos? From my understanding chaos scales off int/faith right? But it removes all dex scaling?

Shredderi

I can't even heal in
Dancer. Her sweeps are the size of a house and they come in super quick and hit super hard. Goddamn why do bosses always have to have best of all worlds. You quick as fuck then the tradeoff should be relatively low damage >_>

End game boss question spoiler N
ameless King
How am i supposed to hit the birds head with my axe, he's dodging it like Mike Tyson.. Also the camera lock on is a mess so I cant see shit and if I do it without lock on I cant dodge cause im changing the camera and get TOASTED

F this thing

Rhaknar

ooooh the greatsword from the last boss sword is pretty. whats a good place to farm souls if one wants to buy some scales to level it up? I didnt find a particular good spot like previous games, at least not off the top of my head

I
rithyll Dungeon
is Tower of Latria all over again.. Love the ambience and the random shrieks and screams.. Do not play at night..

Yes, I'm ithere right now.

SHUT UP,
CORPSE! Shhhh! You're supposed to be dead. Don't alarm the guards *gets stomped into the ground by a branding iron with minimal health left*

pa22word

End game boss question spoiler N
ameless King
How am i supposed to hit the birds head with my axe, he's dodging it like Mike Tyson.. Also the camera lock on is a mess so I cant see shit and if I do it without lock on I cant dodge cause im changing the camera and get TOASTED

F this thing

Just don't lock on in the first phase. If your axe isn't cutting it, use something else. By that point in the game I had like 6 slabs man >.> Level a random halberd up a bit or something.

Milijango

It stops the camera shake that happens when you do a backstab or a riposte. Personally I prefer it off.

Phase 1 isn't that bad - just hit the
dragon's head rather than the guy riding.
Should take him down in no time at all.

Not all weapons can do this outside of when he's breathing fire. I'm not complaining though. It really isn't super hard.

I found a closeup and full shot of our man Aldrich.
Nito, Priscilla, Gwyndolin
- has anyone spotted any others?

Also I wouldn't mind getting devoured by that.

Skii

I just beat the Rotten Greatwood... Is the great sword made from the boss' soul any good? I'm running a strength build.

Derpot

The best boss.
First phase sucks though with the camera being shit and missing attacks constantly.

I agree he's very very cool looking, epic and shit, but we agree that the first phase sucks REAL BAD.

I also love how the hitbox is fucked up sometimes, like I get hit when his blade hits next to me but doesn't touch me, and the fire of his dragon goes through my body and I don't get any damage, like yeah right, ok, fine, this is fine.

Ah fuck that, I'm done with this boss. I need to take a break or I'll get way too frustrated.

Rurunaki

Yes, I'm ithere right now.

SHUT UP,
CORPSE! Shhhh! You're supposed to be dead. Don't alarm the guards *gets stomped into the ground by a branding iron with minimal health left*

Everything in that area freaked me out.
The enemy mechanic of my life bar shriveling away is an accurate representation of my sanity.
Worst part is I'm not done with the place.

Anyone else going with a pure INT build? I’ve always gone with sorcery the first time through Souls games because they’ve handled magic really well but with this game it feels like such an absolute slog that it’s really hampering my enjoyment. The issues are:

1. Incredibly underpowered magic. Sorcerers are meant to be glass cannons, right? Then why does it take up to four casts of Soul Arrow to kill a single normal enemy?

2. Combine the above with a limit to FP restoration and I’m having to beat every section in numerous small chunks because even if I allocate ALL my Estus to Ashen Estus Flasks I’m still running out of FP after fighting a handful of enemies. I’m at the swamp now and there are dozens of those poison bugs and wooden spike guys everywhere. I go in, clear them out, search for items, head back to bonfire, run past last guys, clear out new guys, search for items etc. It feels like I’ve been doing this all game so far.

3. I understand that the above is about resource management but the change from spell charges back to an MP system hasn’t been thought through. In Dark Souls/2 you could get multiple copies of spells which meant you could sacrifice some stat points in Attunement to load up on multiple copies. In this game I’ve not put a single point into Attunement because with a shared FP pool you may as well only carry two spells - one slow/one fast. I don’t have a need for another spell that’s only going to drain my FP pool.

4. Which leads to me having put all the spare stat points I would have put into Attunement into Vigor. So instead of being a glass cannon I’m able to tank enemies with my ridiculously high HP. I feel like the opposite of what a Mage class should be.

5. Finally the thing that’s frustrated me the most is that I’m 10 hours into the game and I’m still using the SAME TWO SPELLS that I started the game with - Heavy/Soul Arrow. I’ve met two Sorcerer NPCs and the only extra spells they’ve sold are Magic Sword/Weapon which are useless to me. Every area I get to I find a new Miracle/Pyromancy tome and… nothing for Sorcerers.

So does anyone feel the same way or have any advice which might make the game more enjoyable? I don’t want to start the game over in the hope that some more powerful spells will make things better but right now I’m feeling that I won’t even bother with NG+ with this build and will start over with a pure STR build seeing as how I’m using my sword so often as it is.

Enjoying everything else about the game but feel like I've been disadvantaged by going what is normally a really fun build!

Im doing a pure int build right now and doing fine. Early game is a little rough if you go PURE magic, but it gets viable at least early midgame imo. If you are in the swamp and still run around with starter spells you might have missed something quite important for you...

Where did you put your points into?

Shredderi

Btw, are people actually able to succesfully use ultra greatswords on bosses? I always seem to switch out to a straight sword when battling bosses because no one staggers when I hit them with zweihander so it pretty much gets me killed no matter the boss. I'm str/dex and main weapon is zweihander but I can't really get use out of it on bosses.

GavinGT

Banned
I can't even heal in
Dancer. Her sweeps are the size of a house and they come in super quick and hit super hard. Goddamn why do bosses always have to have best of all worlds. You quick as fuck then the tradeoff should be relatively low damage >_>

It's so weird hearing people talk about how difficult this boss is. I've played through the game four times and never died to her. I'm not great at the game either. Her tells are super obvious and she gives you plenty of time to heal unless it's one of her long flurries.

Aldritch down.
Wasn't too hard after learning to bait his melee attack. REALLY slow attack. The arrows kept giving me trouble, since he often paired it with the super soul kamehameha. Still went through all my Estus and burned an ember.

JerkShep

I'm a bit disappointed by the moveset variety honestly. All the katanas I've found have the same exact moveset and weapon art and they are not even close in complexity as something like the Chikage. There are exceptions but there are way too many weapons barely different from one another, with small differences in scaling at most.

pa22word

Btw, are people actually able to succesfully use ultra greatswords on bosses? I always seem to switch out to a straight sword when battling bosses because no one staggers when I hit them with zweihander so it pretty much gets me killed no matter the boss. I'm str/dex and main weapon is zweihander but I can't really get use out of it on bosses.

Try counters. I got through all the mainline bosses by abusing the hell out of R2 counters out of a roll. The only boss thus far that I just threw my hands up in the air and pulled out something else was Champ. G.

MicSte79

Neo Member
If your going hard on strength dark sword when fused heavy gets an A rank and goes to level 10 and can be inbued with pine resin etc etc it also has the greatsword ability

Pretty sure the extra estus comes from when someone defeats a boss of an area thats what happen in other souls games
Thanks I will pour some souls into Dex so I can use it then :)

bobawesome

The part I'm on seems very final area-y/final boss-y. I really, really hope this isn't what everyone has been hyping up for the past month. I don't want another Bloodborne sized disappointment.

Shredderi

It's so weird hearing people talk about how difficult this boss is. I've played through the game four times and never died to her. I'm not great at the game either. Her tells are super obvious and she gives you plenty of time to heal unless it's one of her long flurries.

Guess we all have our own rage inducers. You wonder why people have trouble with this one, and I might wonder why you had trouble with something I one shot.

Edit: Also the problem with her flurries is that if one hits it's pretty much over whether you block or not: either one hits you and the rest will hit also causing death or you block one, staggering you for weeks. The combo is just so long that it's really hard to dodge all of them.

KHlover

Banned
I'm using the Glaive atm and at +4 it shows no ambition to increase in scaling in any way. Would I be better off to just eat the Titanite Shards and souls and respec to Heavy Glaive?

Rurunaki

I'm using the Glaive atm and at +4 it shows no ambition to increase in scaling in any way. Would I be better off to just eat the Titanite Shards and souls and respec to Heavy Glaive?

You'll be swimming in Shards later on so that won't be a problem. Switch out weapons and see what you're comfortable with.

pa22word

Infusion doesn't work like that anymore. Everything levels up with titanite now and your levels of reinforcement will stay when you infuse heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom