• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yooooo I have a new favorite weapon, sorry
wolf knight greatsword
you did me good throughout the game, but
Lorian's Greatsword
is my new jam

too bad Ive finished the game lol. Oh well, its my dlc or NG+ weapon I guess.

Jintor

wow jesus dude's second form is even worse! not that i expected anything less tough. I might not feel bad summoning against this guy

eot

Banned
Is the Irithyll Straight Sword any good? Kinda want to switch things up.

Also, are the illusory walls? I'm playing offline :/

CHC

C
athedral of the
D
eep
is hilariously evil. It reminds me of old first edition DnD modules - literally everything is a trap or ambush, nowhere is safe, and the enemies can do some truly horrible things to you (the fucking
WORMS
!) God though I love this area. This game is just getting better and better.

KHlover

Banned
Invading summon whores in catacombs and using the collapsing bridge against them. So satisfying!

Who's actually dumb enough to stand on there?

Also question to everyone since we're talking about the catacombs anyways: is there a safe way to get the items in the chasm below the bridge?

GorillaJu

Wat, what weapon did you use to beat him? I can't even put his HP to midlife during the second phase.
Camera is shit during the first one but I manage not to waste too many Estus vials, so I think it's not that bad, but just very, very annoying and a waste of time.
But during the second phase, he wrecks my shit, he doesn't let me heal and he hits really hard.
I know I need to "git gud" and shit, but really, it's definitely one of the hardest bosses of the series.

I'm using the Black Knight Great Sword.

myco666

Seriously why can't we just buy the miracles/spells/rings on NG+ or beyond instead of having to grind PVP for them. Either the host goes to the boss immediately I invade or I have to fight against 2-4 players at once.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not sure if I want to waste a slab on my shield. I actually still have 2, and I already upgraded both my weapons to +5 and dont have any other that I want, but im afraid DLC will have some good new ones and then ill be slabless, and wasting one on a shield just for completion sake (so all my shit is +5) seems maybe silly, especially since im getting better at rolling now

what do you end game guys think?

also do you need a slab for the last upgrade of stuff that needs twinkling aswell?

Bloodborne was my first. You might be right though. The action was way better, for me, in BB. Even though I did my best to try and replicate it in DS3 it was never quite there. Maybe that was my first problem. Oh well.

I did the same with my Mercenary shieldless champ, the first 6hs I felt like a poors man hunter, the following 8hs I started to get use to a lot of things.
Game so far is easier but I'm enjoying it a lot. I understood that this is not Bloodborne, took its time though.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Who's actually dumb enough to stand on there?

Also question to everyone since we're talking about the catacombs anyways: is there a safe way to get the items in the chasm below the bridge?

No one so far, it's more timing my attack so it falls before they make it all the way across. Waving at them as it drops hahahaha

Robiin

I was on a good roll and were generally in the same areas as many here so I was able to discuss things... then I got a puppy, haven't progressed since then. Can't really focus 100% on the game. Oh well, it's worth it. When he's acclamated a bit he'll hopefully sleep much more :)

I am at
lorthic castle where the 2 dragons are on the bridge
. Aren't they supposed to fight each other so I can cross the bridge? They are just chillin there. On my way to work now so can't even reload to see if it is a bug.

No
the 2 dragons dont fight each other. You can drop under the bridge or try to make a run to the right. I dont remember for sure but I think dropping down will eventually let you loop around into the building to the right/behindish of the right dragon.

GorillaJu

Seriously why can't we just buy the miracles/spells/rings on NG+ or beyond instead of having to grind PVP for them. Either the host goes to the boss immediately I invade or I have to fight against 2-4 players at once.

Fight in areas where you hold the advantage as an invader and other invaders are likely to join. For example,
Anor Londo, where the silver knights are shooting their great bows.

Mendrox

No
the 2 dragons dont fight each other. You can drop under the bridge or try to make a run to the right. I dont remember for sure but I think dropping down will eventually let you loop around into the building to the right/behindish of the right dragon.

Correct. Drop down the bridge, go left(!) (and right for items) and follow the way.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm CL50 and I really want to kill the fucking dancer of borrealan valley or whatever. I simply can't solo it.

anyone wanna help? I don't know what the summon rules are around level difference, but if you're close to 50.... I want to get to the sunlight altar!

Regarding end game/late game stuff:
I saw that if you get five dark sigils you can get the "complete" ending. I have all five, but I found the Firewatcher's soul and gave it to the Fire Watcher and she can remove the sigils. Should I do that now or do I have to wait for something else?

1458779362999.jpg

Rhaknar

got 13 estus flask at +8 strenght when I finished the game, apparently you can go 15 +10 in the first playthrough? Guess I missed some stuff, and I explored a lot :(

Nameless

Pairing
Flynn's Ring
(increase attack by lowering equip load) with
Lloyd's Sword Ring
(increase attack when HP is full) has been a blessing and a curse. My character hits like friggin tank, but it's totally taken me away from the all the glorious Fashion Souls opportunities since I just stay in the Master's Attire and either the Loin Cloth or a dress.

myco666

Fight in areas where you hold the advantage as an invader and other invaders are likely to join. For example,
Anor Londo, where the silver knights are shooting their great bows.

Too high level for those areas or at least connecting takes super long.

Oh goody just got matched against 4 players. I really don't know why I even bother trying this.

edit.
Yup phantom ranges, laggy backstabs and at least 1v2 everytime. Time to farm then.

Jellie

So need some tips for N
ameless
K
ing
. The camera keeps messing me up and a disconnect.
How do you avoid the fire breath?

luchadork

I did the same with my Mercenary shieldless champ, the first 6hs I felt like a poors man hunter, the following 8hs I started to get use to a lot of things.
Game so far is easier but I'm enjoying it a lot. I understood that this is not Bloodborne, took its time though.

once i worked out the style i wanted to play, i kinda felt trapped by that weight/roll ratio crap. i got so many weapons that i didnt get to use because they were too heavy and would mean i'd have to change armor sets. its a baffling mechanic to me. it doesnt add 'fun' and it doesnt make sense that you can carry around 10 swords and 4 changes of clothes but the moment you want to actually wear them then weight suddenly becomes an issue. its just more restrictive than in BB.

JimmyJones

Banned
How do i get to the
Secret Old King's Antechamber
Bonfire if i already turned off the balista?

I reached that bonfire without the ballista. I didn't even know it could destroy the floor. I can't remember how I got there though. Also I believe you can turn the ballista back on.

Zeliard

Holy fucking shit I
rithyl
Dungeon

Almost had a fucking heart attack at the screaming corpse in the cell right to the left of the first bonfire. God damn.

That first jump scare there startled the fuck out of me because it's not something I expect out of a Souls game (speakers were pretty loud but at least I wasn't wearing headphones). Not that it's a criticism, since it was hugely effective. Though I could have done without the second one. :p

sora87

It's in the tunnels with the ball of skeletons rolling back and forth, the one before the room with the couple of rats and enemies. You can open a shortcut from the rope bridge area by pulling a switch which makes a vertical bar barrier go up.

Also (new area discovery in the Catacombs big spoiler)
If you fall down from the rope bridge, you'll disover the Smouldering Lake area.

Found it, managed to beat him too, was really close
thanks to the annoying skeletons he summons. I discovered the lake before, fuck that place lol.

Next area is stunningly beautiful, but honestly,
fuck these fire pole guys
, new most annoying enemy

TitusTroy

Summoning is a mechanic in the game and if you ignore it you are ignoring a game mechanic. The game is meant to be played as you see fit. You can play it with a friend or you can play it solo. Saying that if you don't play my way then you are playing it wrong or should play something else is ridiculous.

I never said you have to play a certain way...I said to each his own but was giving my opinion on the summoning aspect of the game...not all mechanics in a game need to be used by the player...I rarely ever parry but that doesn't mean I'm missing an important mechanic...my point was that people make it seem like co-op or summoning is how the game is meant to be played and I disagree...it was put in there as a last resort and too many people use it as a first resort...people should at least make a few attempts at a boss but instead certain people abuse the 'mechanic'

GorillaJu

Wat, what weapon did you use to beat him? I can't even put his HP to midlife during the second phase.
Camera is shit during the first one but I manage not to waste too many Estus vials, so I think it's not that bad, but just very, very annoying and a waste of time.
But during the second phase, he wrecks my shit, he doesn't let me heal and he hits really hard.
I know I need to "git gud" and shit, but really, it's definitely one of the hardest bosses of the series.

I uploaded the video of my fight to YouTube. The beginning goes slowly because I took a while to think about what rings and items to use, but I left it in so you can see my equipment and get an idea what I went for.

It is NG+ so my level is high (think around 140), but of course the boss is harder as well. By no means a perfect fight, but I know where I messed up, like trying to parry a move that is obviously un-parriable LOL. I think you can parry him, he just wasn't giving me many good chances to do it and I mistimed the one time I think it was parriable.

Hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYJKMhiCuDM

GorillaJu

Too high level for those areas or at least connecting takes super long.

Oh goody just got matched against 4 players. I really don't know why I even bother trying this.

edit.
Yup phantom ranges, laggy backstabs and at least 1v2 everytime. Time to farm then.

You're too high level? What level are you, 250? If you're anywhere from 75-120, there should be tons of PVP action there. The level range for invasions is quite large.

bidguy

Banned
i heard around here that the DLC is gonna be bigger or about the same size as the base game does anyone know about this ? its also gonna come out pretty late (fall 16)

Zeliard

wow i don't understand how these fucking jailers work at all.

It may sound obvious, but just kill them quickly. If your weapon is doing the damage it should be doing it should only take 3-4 hits with a non-heavy one, and they have no poise. You have to be more aggressive against those guys than it may seem; they're designed specifically to intimidate and fluster you but they're incredibly physically weak. Also never fight more than one at a time.

norog

once i worked out the style i wanted to play, i kinda felt trapped by that weight/roll ratio crap. i got so many weapons that i didnt get to use because they were too heavy and would mean i'd have to change armor sets. its a baffling mechanic to me. it doesnt add 'fun' and it doesnt make sense that you can carry around 10 swords and 4 changes of clothes but the moment you want to actually wear them then weight suddenly becomes an issue. its just more restrictive than in BB.

I'm feeling about the same. I'm really trying to give the game a chance on its own merits, so I won't make any judgements until I'm finished, but honestly the more defensive style of DS3 is really boring to me right now. I'm going to grind a bit to upgrade a heavy sword/shield soon and see how I feel about it, since turtling appears to be another of the Souls things, but I'm not excited about it much.

At the same time there's nothing like that SoulsBorne feeling of exploring a new area and figuring out all the traps and gotchas, so it's really good to get into that again.

Does anyone know where to get more
raw gems
? I've got the one from
the crystal lizard in high wall
but need a 2nd one and haven't found any yet :(

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Man, been playing this for 3 days straight, this is some dark souls-ass dark souls game, wow. Love every second of it, even if I continue to be really bad at it :)

Not sure if I should follow the thread though, this is the first Souls I'm playing completely blind and I kinda wanna keep it that way, but I also don't want to miss super important shit.

KHlover

Banned
Level 49 and still not going to the undead settlement, I think I'm done farming the those damn knights before Vordt.

lol are you me from Dark Souls 2? Also farmed to ~Lv. 50 in the first area there.

OT: I think I'm on the main roof of
Cathedral of the Deep
. Now what? Can't seem to get anywhere from there

Mandelbo

Level 49 and still not going to the undead settlement, I think I'm done farming the those damn knights before Vordt.

Yeaaahhh, you're a just slightly overlevelled for where you are in.
You're more than half the level I was when I finished the game :p

What have you been putting levels into, by the way?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Right, I have tried The Abyss Watchers 30 times now. I'm giving up, this boss is absolutely ridiculous and I can't beat it. I just don't have the skill. First phase is fine but the second is completely impossible. He closes the distance in a nanosecond and his attack range is the length of a motorway. I have gotten to this part 10 times and have only hit him twice, on both of those occasions he killed me straight away.

If I block him my stamina goes immediately and then he kills me
If I try to roll around him he uses a sweeping attack and then he kills me
If I try to use my flask he uses the opportunity to close the distance and then he kills me

I spent 3 grand on a TV last year, and I was dangerously close to putting my foot thru it. I tried. I'm not good enough for this game.

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me
and Fuck Konami as well I suppose.

myco666

I never said you have to play a certain way...I said to each his own but was giving my opinion on the summoning aspect of the game...not all mechanics in a game need to be used by the player...I rarely ever parry but that doesn't mean I'm missing an important mechanic...my point was that people make it seem like co-op or summoning is how the game is meant to be played and I disagree...it was put in there as a last resort and too many people use it as a first resort...people should at least make a few attempts at a boss but instead certain people abuse the 'mechanic'

You said that if someone doesn't beat the game solo they should play something else. If summoning wasn't meant to be one way of playing it wouldn't there be something that disables the ability for it until you've tried enough times to unlock it or something? And co-op is definitely meant to be used as some NPC questlines requires it.

You're too high level? What level are you, 250? If you're anywhere from 75-120, there should be tons of PVP action there. The level range for invasions is quite large.

Lvl90 on NG. Waited 10-15 minutes and nothing so I assume I need to be on NG+ to be able to invade there again.

JimmyJones

Banned
Right, I have tried The Abyss Watchers 30 times now. I'm giving up, this boss is absolutely ridiculous and I can't beat it. I just don't have the skill. First phase is fine but the second is completely impossible. He closes the distance in a nanosecond and his attack range is the length of a motorway. I have gotten to this part 10 times and have only hit him twice, on both of those occasions he killed me straight away.

If I block him my stamina goes immediately and then he kills me
If I try to roll around him he uses a sweeping attack and then he kills me
If I try to use my flask he uses the opportunity to close the distance and then he kills me

I spent 3 grand on a TV last year, and I was dangerously close to putting my foot thru it. I tried. I'm not good enough for this game.

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me
and Fuck Konami as well I suppose.

Just summon someone dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom