• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHlover

Banned
You'll be swimming in Shards later on so that won't be a problem. Switch out weapons and see what you're comfortable with.

Think I'll buy another Glaive and compare the damage output at the same upgrade level. 3.5k souls for a second glaive isn't really much at this point and who knows, maybe for whatever reason I'll end up dual wielding in NG+ or so lol

myco666

The part I'm on seems very final area-y/final boss-y. I really, really hope this isn't what everyone has been hyping up for the past month. I don't want another Bloodborne sized disappointment.

Bloodborne sized disappointment? So a nonexistant one?

Area that is the last one is very very obvious.

Btw, are people actually able to succesfully use ultra greatswords on bosses? I always seem to switch out to a straight sword when battling bosses because no one staggers when I hit them with zweihander so it pretty much gets me killed no matter the boss. I'm str/dex and main weapon is zweihander but I can't really get use out of it on bosses.

I killed the Nameless King using a Ultra Greatsword...
Fume Ultra Greatsword :p

Dak'kon

Im doing a pure int build right now and doing fine. Early game is a little rough if you go PURE magic, but it gets viable at least early midgame imo. If you are in the swamp and still run around with starter spells you might have missed something quite important for you...

Where did you put your points into?

Well I've just stumbled across
Orbeck
who's selling the Greater Arrow spells so I'm hoping that will give me a bit more power. Im at level 27 and put 15 points into Vigor, 6 into INT but nothing else. I'm about to put one stat point into STR as I've just found the
Heretic's Staff
. If there's something essential I've missed then you can let me know in spoilers if it's going to help :)

TitusTroy

the first boss fight I did not like...
Yhorm the Giant
...was totally un-Souls like...the Souls games are all about different builds and playstyles...
forcing you to use that 1 particular weapon was corny...if they wanted to teach people how to use the trick weapons then it should have been part of an earlier tutorial

Shredderi

Nice. I just can't do it and it kills me (literally). I wanna use my badass swords like in DS1 but everyone has super armor and won't stagger. They did in DS1 :( Bosses, that is.

And also I'm fucking fuming right now:

fuck.png

Two times now. Why does this keep happening to me. Why couldn't I have stamina for one more fucking hit.

End game boss question spoiler N
ameless King
How am i supposed to hit the birds head with my axe, he's dodging it like Mike Tyson.. Also the camera lock on is a mess so I cant see shit and if I do it without lock on I cant dodge cause im changing the camera and get TOASTED

F this thing

Your opportunities to get attacks in are
After NK does an attack and when the dragon is doing the grounded fire breath attack.

Another tip. I found that with the Spirit Tree Crest shield you can just block his lightning smash attack with barely any damage seeping through and hitting the dragon afterward.

All in all that first phase should be over in a minute or two with minimal damage.

How do i dodge his fire attack when he goes straigth up in the air ;) ?

Not sure about this one. You'll definitely get hit
it's 3 hits iirc and you can block one or two, third definitely connects though. He only ever does that attack if you're far away.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh the
2 princes
werent the last boss at all >_>

guess I still have one more to go then. I killed
Nameless King
, with a summoned dude because im weak

Cracklox

Well after not nearly being as hyped for this souls game as the previous, turns out its pretty great.

Anyone else abusing the bow? I'm running 2 hand Uchi and bow, but find myself using the bow more and more. Up to P
rofaned
C
apital
now and I've taken down 3 bosses using it exclusively (Pharis now at +7) and reguarly use it to cut down mobs as well.

Boss wise, it made A
byss
W
Walkers
and P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
much easier and the boss of D
emon
R
uins
absolute cake. Got him 1st time without being hit.

Also is anyone using the (boss weapon)
Demon Fist
? I'm keen to try a Pyro run next and it sounds like it would be a fun weapon that compliments a Pyro. Its out of the question for my current character at the moment stat wise so cant even try it out

Jobbs

Banned
I can't express how happy the glaive makes me.. It's sooo.. good... The range and power and stagger power...

I'd been using the broadsword up until this and htese guys were giving me so much trouble. I decided to choose a new weapon and I'm glad I did.

I'm SL48, faith character, 30 faith, only 18 str, and this is a heavy glaive +4 with dark blade up, which is a miracle that requires 25 faith

click for bigger webm

it shreds, and once I get more large titanites and upgrade it a couple more times it's going to be unbelievable. it makes combat a lot easier because when you two hand it, it has enormous stagger power combined with enormous range. It reminds me of the hunter axe in bloodborne but probably even better.

Derpot

oh the
2 princes
werent the last boss at all >_>

guess I still have one more to go then. I killed
Nameless King
, with a summoned dude because im weak

I can't even summon someone for this fight. It always says "Summon Impossible".
I think I legit hate this boss more than I hate Fume Fight in DS2.

Was that pre-nerf? They nerfed it badly before I bothered trying it. :[

I'm just using the "Greatsword" now, but it looks like it may be getting nerfed in the latest patch as well. I might just have to fall back to my trust Dark Sword or experiment with other blades. The Farron Greatsword looks badass, but my dex is only 23 or so.

Zomba13

So I've pretty much finished, just need to pick my ending. If I pick an ending, do I get to still play the game? Like will I be able to just level up and grind out souls for items etc or am I forced into NG+?

I went through the whole game pretty much with the Uchigatana and I kinda hate myself for doing that. I wanted to go dual swords so I picked the Sellsword and ended up just using the Uchi as soon as I could. Put a fire gem on it and it worked fine for most (probably all) of the game. Eventually turned it into a sharp one and +10'd it. I did use a certain bosses enchanted dual swords too and they were fun but I was getting more damage out of the Uchi and didn't have to worry about weakness/resists to fire/magic.

I really liked the game. Liked it more than DS2. DS1 is still tops though, the way that world fits together and connects is just beautiful. DS3 had some great moments and callbacks and rather than feeling confused about them like I did with DS2, they felt believable and plausible.

I loved how you could get a medium roll up to 70% weight, made it much easier for me to pick my armour so I could get decent protection and a decent roll. Barely used a shield except for the grass crest shield for the stamina regen. Bloodborne got me to embrace the aggressive style. I did find the game pretty easy compared to past souls games. Maybe at this point I know all the tricks and am prepared?

Looking forward to the DLC.

I'm just using the "Greatsword" now, but it looks like it may be getting nerfed in the latest patch as well. I might just have to fall back to my trust Dark Sword or experiment with other blades. The Farron Greatsword looks badass, but my dex is only 23 or so.
Haha pre nerf of course. That's why I had the :p at the end. I have not used it since the nerf. Which was understandable.

sora87

Where are you guys running to him from? Once you open the gate next to the bridge, it's only a 50 second sprint to the Boss from the bonfire.

The Boss himself is annoying though, he's taken me out about six times, so I'm going to give up for now and try again tommorow.

Running from the
abyss watchers
bonfire. His bloody
mist of death attack is like instant kill and it's hard to know when it's coming when you're trying to hit those bracelets.

pa22word

Might check out the cathedral knight greatsword. Used it my entire run with heavy infusion and kicked a lot of ass with it.

Need help with my build. I'm usually a DEX build kind of guy, but in this game I want to use Greatswords, with the occasional use of Bows. Any tips on how to spec my build out? I'm finding it pretty annoying that Equipment Burden gains are locked to Vitality, but eh, another story.

My current build:

Soul Level: 39
Vigor: 12
Attunement: 14
Endurance: 13
Vitality: 23
Strength: 24
Dexterity: 16
Intelligence: 10
Faith: 9
Luck: 7

My suns bro. I don't know who thy are or where thy came from, but I thank thee for helping me beat the
Old Demon King.

May the flames always be on thine's side.

Well I've just stumbled across
Orbeck
who's selling the Greater Arrow spells so I'm hoping that will give me a bit more power. Im at level 27 and put 15 points into Vigor, 6 into INT but nothing else. I'm about to put one stat point into STR as I've just found the
Heretic's Staff
. If there's something essential I've missed then you can let me know in spoilers if it's going to help :)

Good! Id put some points into attunement now to get some more FP. Exploring will become a lot more manageable once you have more mana to spend. I wouldnt put any more points into vigor for now, you should be fine healthwise until midgame. Also raise intelligence with your next levels to improve damage and most important, did you level up your staff already? Int scaling changes to A very early on most staffs so this also improves your damage.

If youve found
Orbeck
I dont think theres anything critical youve missed so far...

Running from the
abyss watchers
bonfire. His bloody
mist of death attack is like instant kill and it's hard to know when it's coming when you're trying to hit those bracelets.

If you're talking about W
olnir (skeleton guy)
, there's a much, much closer bonfire.
Stay away from the purple death mist and this boss is a cinch.

rdytoroll

You get summoned instantly at the N
ameless
K
ing
, but summon signs appear like once a fortnight. Come on man

Lol, and when they come it is always Unable to summon Phantom...

d00d3n

How awful. A giant rat chasing me killed K
arla
. I didn't know that enemies could permanently off important npcs just like that ...

Dak'kon

Good! Id put some points into attunement now to get some more FP. Exploring will become a lot more manageable once you have more mana to spend. I wouldnt put any more points into vigor for now, you should be fine healthwise until midgame. Also raise intelligence with your next levels to improve damage and most important, did you level up your staff already? Int scaling changes to A very early on most staffs so this also improves your damage.

If youve found
Orbeck
I dont think theres anything critical youve missed so far...

Sounds like a plan :) Two other things - do you use Steady Chant From what I saw it only increased damage by about 5% so didn't seem worth it but I don't know if it scales with anything so moght be worth it down the line? Also, do Estus heal set amount or percentage? I'd not put any points into Attunement like I said because I don't need any extra slots but if it heals percentage it would be worth increasing FP.

KHlover

Banned
I can't express how happy the glaive makes me.. It's sooo.. good... The range and power and stagger power...

I'd been using the broadsword up until this and htese guys were giving me so much trouble. I decided to choose a new weapon and I'm glad I did.

I'm SL48, faith character, 30 faith, only 18 str, and this is a heavy glaive +4 with dark blade up, which is a miracle that requires 25 faith

click for bigger webm

it shreds, and once I get more large titanites and upgrade it a couple more times it's going to be unbelievable. it makes combat a lot easier because when you two hand it, it has enormous stagger power combined with enormous range. It reminds me of the hunter axe in bloodborne but probably even better.

Can't believe it, another Glaive user :D

Been my favorite weapon since Dark Souls 1 (back when it was called 'Scythe'). Good call on the Heavy Upgrade, I just did the same and at Lv. 4 damage (with my STR stats, mind you) is

197+67 for regular Glaive
187+93 for Heavy Glaive

Wonder when scaling will go up tho, sure hope it does at all or at least before Lv. 9 or 10

AHA-Lambda

Just beat Crystal Sage, that was easy :p

Currently rocking the Ithryll Straight Sword, but where can I get Twinkling Titanite to upgrade it? All the little crystal lizards so far have dropped either gems or Titanite Scales =/

Just beat Crystal Sage, that was easy :p

Currently rocking the Ithryll Straight Sword, but where can I get Twinkling Titanite to upgrade it? All the little crystal lizards so far have dropped either gems or Titanite Scales =/

They will drop twinkling titanite too, their loot is fixed. I think you'll get more twinkling titanite from now on from them.

Derpot

click for bigger webm

Oh wow, this weapon looks fun! What's the scaling tho?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Like every single non gimmick souls boss

yeah.... yeah :/

that kinda just hit me fighting the last boss. That, and the reason why I usually summon is just because, I dont have patience. I just dont care anymore, the repetition of running back to the boss just kills the game to me. I havent summoned yet on the last boss, but im having no fun at all anymore. I just want the game to be over, which is never a good place to be in.

He doesnt even seem particulary hard, im just doing stupid mistakes, drinking when I shouldnt, etc. And the more I retry, the more I dont want to play this anymore. Im not even angry I just want to move on to something else lol. Its no wonder I never play NG+ in these games

Ultrabum

the first boss fight I did not like...
Yhorm the Giant
...was totally un-Souls like...the Souls games are all about different builds and playstyles...
forcing you to use that 1 particular weapon was corny...if they wanted to teach people how to use the trick weapons then it should have been part of an earlier tutorial

Google the item and demons souls. It's very much a souls thing, just not dark souls.

Rhaknar

LOL at my visceral growl when I stupidly died with the last boss with a sliver left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom