• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jessus, didn't know that it bothers you guys so much when a new souls player uses summons xD Ok, won't use them anymore (only used them twice, and I managed to beat the previous bosses alone). Sorry if I created an upstir :/

I know you put the question out there but...play the game however it's the most fun for you? Who cares what some random people on a message board have to say about that, it's a videogame.

I like to read what other people think about my favorite games, argue about them sometimes etc. but I have no clue about particular builds and these extreme intricacies conversations in here get involved in and that's cool. For example, it takes me sometimes double the time it seems to take people on here to go through these and it seems to me that many rush through them to 'beat it' exclusively but if that's their fun, whatever.

myco666

Leonhard questline spoilers
What to do with Rosarias soul? Can I still get the rewards from the covenant if I don't revive her?

Whatever helps you sleep at night, man. Just dont come in the thread saying "so eazy!11" when you called for help against bosses that are clearly designed for 1v1 and seem actively confused when targeting multiple people.

I just don't get how you can say using game mechanics is cheating. Is using gear that is OP also cheating?

edit.
Hell these games even have questlines that require you to summon NPCs to your game.

jaekeem

Jessus, didn't know that it bothers you guys so much when a new souls player uses summons xD Ok, won't use them anymore (only used them twice, and I managed to beat the previous bosses alone). Sorry if I created an upstir :/

Play the way you want man.

My personal feeling though: beating a boss for the first time without summons is a feeling of fuckYEAH like no other, depending on how hard the boss was. FeelsGoodMan

Tarkus

I tried Drunk Souls last night. It was really hard. I got rekt in more ways than one. Usually I can handle these games while being tipsy. Not this one.

So can I grind my way to victory in this like I did in Bloodborne? Thank you two wolves in the door way.
I just don't have the skills anymore so being over leveled is a thing for me. I actually enjoy the grind.

I beat it! I have some questions about stuff I missed.

End game location spoiler:
Wow, that was one of the coolest environments I've seen in a Souls game. Looking over and seeing everything heaped up like that was a bit mind-bending and I loved it.

NPC quest stuff:
At some point it got super crowded at Firelink and then EVERYONE disappeared rather suddenly. Here's what I would up doing as far as those quest lines were concerned:

1. Siegward's quest stopped for me after I helped him beat that big flaming demon. He went to sleep and then I never saw him again :( Where should I have gone to find him next?

2. Morne and the blind woman both came back to Firelink, the former only briefly before he disappeared as well. Nothing seemed to come of that but I'm sure I missed just about everything.

3. The thief (can't remember his name) went off to find weapons when I was in Irithyll and never came back! I was looking forward to his next haul :(

4. I think I got three or four levels of hollow in with Yoel before I healed it at the Firekeeper. He's been dead on the ground for ages and nothing happened.

5. The lady Astora knight and her bud Horace (RIP). I found her in the catacombs twice but did not find the Smouldering Lake until after I was nearly finished with Irythill. I killed the hollow (?) Horace but never found the lady knight again.

6. I think I completed Leonhard's questline all the way through, got the orbs, joined the Fingers, got the black orb, found him and killed him, then revived Rosaria. Was there anything else to that quest?

I think that's all of them...

Weapon spoilers:
I was initially very disappointed with how few strength weapons I was finding but thankfully about halfway through the game started giving me some good ones and now I have a few fully upgraded. My favourite so far is the Dragonslayer Greataxe!

Great game, I'm going to dive back in straight away.

EDIT: One NPC I forgot!
The Darkmoon lady! I spoke to her a bit and then joined the Fingers, which made her mad. She said next time we meet we'll be enemies... but then I never saw her again. I also was able to join the Darkmoon covenant with no issues.

Luigiv

I've just gotten to a new area and I have to say, those who enjoyed
Tower of Latria part 1
from Demon's Souls are going to be very happy.

TheFlow

Banned
Nothing wrong with summons. If it is the game take advantage of it. Besides even with summons some bosses can still rekt your shit

luchadork

Just wrapped this up. Hate to be _that_ guy but I didn't really enjoy it. Please don't take this personally. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't enjoy it. I absolutely LOVED Bloodborne but I found this game to be more frustrating than fun. The entire back half of the game was just trial and error. With the difficulty coming from trying to work out which hidden ledge to drop down to get past the unbeatable obstruction while controlling the manic camera. Honestly, I'm glad its over. Is anyone disappointed by it after coming from Bloodborne?

sixghost

Without spoiling anything, does a STR/Faith build eventually become worth it in this game? I'm 7 or 8 hours in and I still only have 3 miracles, and haven't found a single weapon that seems to be for FAI chars. I've found a couple of those Braille books, but I don't know where to bring them.

Just wrapped this up. Hate to be _that_ guy but I didn't really enjoy it. Please don't take this personally. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't enjoy it. I absolutely LOVED Bloodborne but I found this game to be more frustrating than fun. The entire back half of the game was just trial and error. With the difficulty coming from trying to work out which hidden ledge to drop down to get past the unbeatable obstruction while controlling the manic camera. Honestly, I'm glad its over. Is anyone disappointed by it after coming from Bloodborne?

Did you play Dark Souls, or did you start at Bloodborne? Even though the games are extremely similar, Bloodborne focuses more on the action part of the game, whereas Dark Souls was always about exploration and fighting the environments as much as the enemies.

I was actually disappointed with Bloodborne. Didn't expect it to be so far from the Souls formula with equipment and player interaction. I liked it a lot, but I feel I don't need to replay Bloodborne for a long time to come because the lack of variety. Dark Souls 3 is ripe for replays, however.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
My god the
Abyss Watchers
is the most irritating boss battle of any game ever.
The main boss is ridiculously fast and can kill me with 1 combo. There is almost no time to heal between his attacks and blocking is pointless as he depletes my stamina with his endless attacks.

Tried 10 times and only got to the second phase once, and one of those times I was standing right next to him after the poxy cutscene and he immediately killed me with one attack.

I don't have PS Plus right now, so I'm playing in offline mode, is it possible to summon an NPC?

E92 M3

Last night I organized a fight club for roughly 2 hours lol. We had one person try to start trouble, but they were quickly dealt with. It was like gladiator fights.

xV2dezK.jpg

Image spoiler tagged just in case (click on the box)

TitusTroy

Just wow. This is like saying "if you don't do SL1 fist-only run as your first playthrough maybe you should play something different". Not using summons is basically a challenge run since you are ignoring a game mechanic to make the game harder for you.

that's a terrible analogy...a SL1 run is totally different then playing the game solo without summoning help...playing solo is not 'ignoring a game mechanic'...the game is not meant to be played with helpers, it's meant to be played solo...the extra help is there if you really need/want to use it but in no way was the game designed to be played with help throughout

My god the
Abyss Watchers
The main boss is ridiculously fast and can kill me with 1 combo. There is almost no time to heal between his attacks and blocking is pointless as he depletes my stamina with his endless attacks.

Tried 10 times and only got to the second phase once, and one of those times I was standing right next to him after the poxy cutscene and he immediately killed me with one attack
Happened to me my first time. It's unfair but at least I got a laugh out of it

Seems harder than it is. You'll hit your head against the wall several times, but when it clicks it's a fairly straightforward fight

Without spoiling anything, does a STR/Faith build eventually become worth it in this game? I'm 7 or 8 hours in and I still only have 3 miracles, and haven't found a single weapon that seems to be for FAI chars. I've found a couple of those Braille books, but I don't know where to bring them.

You need to find Irina of Carim

Also there are tons of faith weapons and several infusions that scale with faith

Can you give items to other players?
Yea but certain items you can not such as upgrade materials, covenant items, etc.

Play however you want. One of my best friends and I play the entire game doing coop and I just tell him where things are at. It's still a lot of fun. We just like playing games together.
of course I already beaten the entire game solo ;)

Luigiv

My god the
Abyss Watchers

Tried 10 times and only got to the second phase once, and one of those times I was standing right next to him after the poxy cutscene and he immediately killed me with one attack

Nah, that boss is alright, I've seen far worse in the series. Just use the space and the
red-eyed allies
to you're advantage for the first phase. Just dodge like hell for the second (or potentially block, I don't know, I'm not using a shield for this playthrough).

Can you give items to other players?

Yes you can. You can only give weapons and shields of the same upgrade level (+1, +2 etc) that they currently possess.

You can't give upgrade materials or covenant items.

Not sure about spells or rings for that matter but armour is OK.

sixghost

Happened to me my first time. It's unfair but at least I got a laugh out of it

Seems harder than it is. You'll hit your head against the wall several times, but when it clicks it's a fairly straightforward fight

That was my experience too. I died about 15 times, then didn't get touched on the last run. I couldn't believe I had so much trouble with it. The big revelation was
being patient and waiting for him to do the jumping spinning attack. It's an easy backstab.
Even without doing that I still think it was an easy fight after I just relaxed. Any souls boss that gets stunlocked for a few hits can't be that hard.

usp84

So the Pilgrim NPC
is dead.Is there another NPC that murders people like in Demon's Souls?Why dis she die?

SDCowboy

So I needed the aid of some random player for the
Abyss Watchers
boss, and I gotta say, the game is amazingly fun with other players. Really makes me long for a fully MP souls game.

luchadork

Did you play Dark Souls, or did you start at Bloodborne? Even though the games are extremely similar, Bloodborne focuses more on the action part of the game, whereas Dark Souls was always about exploration and fighting the environments as much as the enemies.

Bloodborne was my first. You might be right though. The action was way better, for me, in BB. Even though I did my best to try and replicate it in DS3 it was never quite there. Maybe that was my first problem. Oh well.

Alucrid

Banned
that's a terrible analogy...a SL1 run is totally different then playing the game solo without summoning help...playing solo is not 'ignoring a game mechanic'...the game is not meant to be played with helpers, it's meant to be played solo...the extra help is there if you really need/want to use it but in no way was the game designed to be played with help throughout

lol who gives a fuck if other people summon. it's there. they can use it.

Again, I didn't use summons in the areas following the boss, I only used them before for the boss fight, in both of them my summons died during the first half. But I get it, it's not as satisfying as when you manage to beat a boss alone, I got the memo guys.

luchadork

I was actually disappointed with Bloodborne. Didn't expect it to be so far from the Souls formula with equipment and player interaction. I liked it a lot, but I feel I don't need to replay Bloodborne for a long time to come because the lack of variety. Dark Souls 3 is ripe for replays, however.

I appreciate how much more you can tailor your gameplay in DS3. But I do miss how streamlined BB was in terms of combat and items. It fucking sucks having to worry about stuff like weight. And I couldn't get my head around using shields and range. I loved the combat in BB so much. It was perfect for me. I do agree on replayability though.

Late game question about U
ntended Graves. Finally beat Champion Gundyr, so what's up with this place? I expected something here. Does anybody even know what's going on here?

SDCowboy

Dude, play however you want. There is summoning in game for a reason. If I can't beat a boss after a certain number of times, I'm gonna summon someone. I've only had to do it once, but I have no qualms with doing it again as needed. I actually find boss fights more fun with another player.

myco666

Summoning is a mechanic in the game and if you ignore it you are ignoring a game mechanic. The game is meant to be played as you see fit. You can play it with a friend or you can play it solo. Saying that if you don't play my way then you are playing it wrong or should play something else is ridiculous.

Jintor

wow this boss

pontiff can go suck on a lemon, priests aren't supposed to be this cool! pope benedict gotta go two-handed sword style next time

seriously though this guy is wrecking me

Should I use my (mid game weapon spoilers)
sharp gem on the black blade? I've used one on my uchi. I haven't looked up the rest of the katanas, but I have seen that there are only two guaranteed sharp gems per run. Could someone tell me if there are katanas more worth the gem than the black blade?

I am at
lorthic castle where the 2 dragons are on the bridge
. Aren't they supposed to fight each other so I can cross the bridge? They are just chillin there. On my way to work now so can't even reload to see if it is a bug.

Alucrid

Banned
I am at
lorthic castle where the 2 dragons are on the bridge
. Aren't they supposed to fight each other so I can cross the bridge? They are just chillin there. On my way to work now so can't even reload to see if it is a bug.

no

in other news, i love all the call backs to demon's souls.

What? There is usually still challenge left even with summons. You still need to know how to avoid getting hit by certain moves and know what to do. Summoning makes it easier sure but the boss can still provide a challenge.

Thats true for the player being targeted. The others can hack & slash away without fear of being hit. For me bosses etc. become trivial in coop. Fact is enemy ai is lacking adjustments for dealing with multiple targets. Why dont they add moves that can attack multiple targets in one move? While the enemy ai can switch targets at least it simply plays the game as if there was only one target...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom