• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpot

I uploaded the video of my fight to YouTube. The beginning goes slowly because I took a while to think about what rings and items to use, but I left it in so you can see my equipment and get an idea what I went for.

It is NG+ so my level is high (think around 140), but of course the boss is harder as well. By no means a perfect fight, but I know where I messed up, like trying to parry a move that is obviously un-parriable LOL. I think you can parry him, he just wasn't giving me many good chances to do it and I mistimed the one time I think it was parriable.

Hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYJKMhiCuDM

Oh, thanks! I'll check that later!

Right, I have tried The Abyss Watchers 30 times now. I'm giving up, this boss is absolutely ridiculous and I can't beat it. I just don't have the skill. First phase is fine but the second is completely impossible. He closes the distance in a nanosecond and his attack range is the length of a motorway. I have gotten to this part 10 times and have only hit him twice, on both of those occasions he killed me straight away.

If I block him my stamina goes immediately and then he kills me
If I try to roll around him he uses a sweeping attack and then he kills me
If I try to use my flask he uses the opportunity to close the distance and then he kills me

I spent 3 grand on a TV last year, and I was dangerously close to putting my foot thru it. I tried. I'm not good enough for this game.

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me
and Fuck Konami as well I suppose.

Here's the strategy I used. Try backstabbing him, it's pretty insane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1DCKC8oUBM

Zeliard

I ended up sequence-breaking last night on a whim. I layed down a summon sign in front of
Vordt
just out of sheer curiosity, to see if I was still in the summoning level range of such an early zone.

I was but I [can be accessed early but late game spoiler]
totally forgot that that Dancer fight is on the other side, and that's what I was being summoned for (duh).

Absolutely adored the fight, and though we lost, I felt compelled to take it on myself. After a few tries I took her down. Great fight, I look forward to trying her out again early game in a future playthrough. I'm sure some SL1 bare fist aliens have managed it already.

I'm also using her weapon now. Since I'm at a relatively reasonable SL and weapon upgrade level (something like 46 and +5 respectively), I can still get summoned in relatively earlier zones, and when hosts see my weapon and gear they always stare at me for a bit. Limiting that stuff a lot though because my character is too strong for those areas now, and I don't want to trivialize boss fights for hosts.

GorillaJu

You said that if someone doesn't beat the game solo they should play something else. If summoning wasn't meant to be one way of playing it wouldn't there be something that disables the ability for it until you've tried enough times to unlock it or something? And co-op is definitely meant to be used as some NPC questlines requires it.

Lvl90 on NG. Waited 10-15 minutes and nothing so I assume I need to be on NG+ to be able to invade there again.

AFAIK coop and invasions aren't affected by NG/NG+ though I could be wrong. If that's the case then yeah, NG+ is where hte action is.

Right, I have tried The Abyss Watchers 30 times now. I'm giving up, this boss is absolutely ridiculous and I can't beat it. I just don't have the skill. First phase is fine but the second is completely impossible. He closes the distance in a nanosecond and his attack range is the length of a motorway. I have gotten to this part 10 times and have only hit him twice, on both of those occasions he killed me straight away.

If I try to use my flask he uses the opportunity to close the distance and then he kills me

I spent 3 grand on a TV last year, and I was dangerously close to putting my foot thru it. I tried. I'm not good enough for this game.

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me

Ha ha. I absolutely agree. I ended up figuring out how to summon someone and it took me two tries to beat them. The second guy I summoned died on me, but I was able to finish the fight.

GorillaJu

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me

Anyone who struggles with bosses like Abyss Watchers, my advice is to roll more aggressively. Try rolling toward the boss, not away. If you roll away, youahve to close the distance again before you can attack. If you roll toward, you can end up behind them and have much more time to hit them 2-3 times. Also, AW can be backstabbed. This is something that can be a bit of a Eureka moment for Souls players since the instinct is to always roll away, but rolling behind the enemy is often safer since they use their most dangerous moves from mid-distance.

Try to bait him into his combo that ends in him doing a jump attack. He'll be open for a backstab then but you have to anticipate the attack coming and roll behind him.

Good luck.

Interesting

If he can be backstabed he can also be parried?

Roll Critical attack build son!

Yes, he can. I'm all bout that Hornet Ring :) Hornet Ring has won so many PvP fights for me... Love that execution animation.

Lakitu

st5fu
What the fuck. Is the area after the P
ontiff
boss fight on the bridge some sort of PVP area? I just had to take down 2 Aldrich douchebags double teaming me.

Finished at SL91 - I was doing more than enough damage and had sufficient health and stamina, so I didn't see the need to level up any further.

I'm about to close on the end too at SL60-70. I don't even feel like I needed this many levels for anything but the optionals so far and there's only one boss I've not actually seen yet.

DSmalls84

So I got to the road of sacrifices which path is the best to go down first? Are they designed to be taken in any certain order difficulty wise?

AlanOC91

I return to Ireland early tomorrow (and have Monday booked off) to play this. The wait for it has been killing me. I still know nothing about the game at all which I didn't so for DS2. Don't know any bosses or areas. The only scrap of info I know is that there is some giant crab and apparently you don't upgrade armor anymore (not sure if I like this change).

The wait is almost over! It's preloaded on steam ready to go.

I hope it was worth the wait.

Edit: btw how is the summoning in this on PC? Smooth and easy?

Neoweee

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me

Have you done all of the other bosses you can do before that point?
Greatwood, Crystal Sages, and Deacons?

Okay, Fire Orb has regained my faith in pyromancy, plus you can launch it so damn fast compared to spells. Only bad thing is you need more ashen estus flasks, I'm now allotting them 4-4.

grkazan12

Quick question, I'm trying to get to the Undead Settlement to get Loretta's Bone, but I can't seem to travel to it through the bonfire. Is there any other way to get there? It just doesn't show up in the warp list.

Jobbs

Banned
found ashes in ithyrl of the bolean valley and was so excited that maybe they were finally for large titanite.. but nope.. can't even tell what items they added

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Have you done all of the other bosses you can do before that point?
Greatwood, Crystal Sages, and Deacons?

I have killed the tree, but not the other two. Not sure how I missed any bosses, I have been very thorough so far. I'm a level 40 Knight FWIW

Brohan

Finished at SL91 - I was doing more than enough damage and had sufficient health and stamina, so I didn't see the need to level up any further.

Oh sorry, totally misunderstood you.

Also does anyone know what the max rank is for convenants? Is rank 2 the highest?

mephixto

Banned
Yeaaahhh, you're a just slightly overlevelled for where you are in.
You're more than half the level I was when I finished the game :p

What have you been putting levels into, by the way?

Mostly dmg (str, dex) some endurance, vit and a few on vigor.

I did the same on Bloodborne when I reached the Forbidden Woods, I don't know I just lost myself for hours lvl up in some areas.

Quick question, I'm trying to get to the Undead Settlement to get Loretta's Bone, but I can't seem to travel to it through the bonfire. Is there any other way to get there? It just doesn't show up in the warp list.
Did you
hold up the banner given by the old priest lady?

E92 M3

Man, been playing this for 3 days straight, this is some dark souls-ass dark souls game, wow. Love every second of it, even if I continue to be really bad at it :)

Not sure if I should follow the thread though, this is the first Souls I'm playing completely blind and I kinda wanna keep it that way, but I also don't want to miss super important shit.

You have NG+ to clean up and look everything up. Enjoy the first playthrough blind :)

Plum

Finally got the 28 STR needed for my Greatsword (and by god it's amazing). I'm wondering whether I should go with Heavy or Raw for the upgrade path. Heavy improves STR scaling but I'm not sure the benefits of it will outweigh the benefits of using the unneeded STR points in VIT/VIG/END.

What do you suggest, GAF?

Mandelbo

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me

Gonna share my run of this fight too: http://youtu.be/CUnPGG0xLpw

My tips:
- use a high stability shield (the crest shield probably wasn't the best choice for this fight)
- you can backstab and parry the boss
- be wary that attacks in the second phase leave trails of fire behind them, so get out of the way of those too
- you can also stagger them to get extra hits in

If all else fails, leave the game for a while and have a break. As someone else says, part of playing a souls game is knowing when to walk away!

Mostly dmg (str, dex) some endurance, vit and a few on vigor.

I did the same on Bloodborne when I reached the Forbidden Woods, I don't know I just lost myself for hours lvl up in some areas.

That's fair enough - definitely don't neglect vigor, though, since you'll need hp in spades later on.

TitusTroy

You said that if someone doesn't beat the game solo they should play something else. If summoning wasn't meant to be one way of playing it wouldn't there be something that disables the ability for it until you've tried enough times to unlock it or something? And co-op is definitely meant to be used as some NPC questlines requires it

you're twisting my words...I said if the game is too difficult for someone then maybe they should move on to another game which suits their style better...that's like trying to play a sport but sucking at it...eventually you might want to move on to another sport that you're better at...same with anything in life...

Big Brett

you're twisting my words...I said if the game is too difficult for someone then maybe they should move on to another game which suits their style better...that's like trying to play a sport but sucking at it...eventually you might want to move on to another sport that you're better at...same with anything in life...

Believe it or not, some people don't play games to be good at them, but because they enjoy them.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Well if you missed
Crystal Sage
you automatically missed the other one.

Tip: Head left from the Road of Sacrifices bonfire

I didn't even see another path there. Weird.

My tips:
- use a high stability shield (the crest shield probably wasn't the best choice for this fight)
- be wary that attacks in the second phase leave trails of fire behind them, so get out of the way of those too

If all else fails, leave the game for a while and have a break. As someone else says, part of playing a souls game is knowing when to walk away!

I'll give it a try, thanks. I'm wearing heavy armour so my rolling isn't great.

Zeliard

My tips:

Another tip is that if the second phase is doing too much damage to you, go hunt for the Flame Stoneplate Ring to boost your fire def up a bit.

Sane_Man

Jesus, I'm so terrible at PVP in this game. I'm running dex with Katana and all I seem to face is people with massive swords or axes which wreck me in a couple hits. My hits never stagger them so they can just swing through it. I have no idea what to do to beat them.

Anyone who struggles with bosses like Abyss Watchers, my advice is to roll more aggressively. Try rolling toward the boss, not away. If you roll away, youahve to close the distance again before you can attack. If you roll toward, you can end up behind them and have much more time to hit them 2-3 times. Also, AW can be backstabbed. This is something that can be a bit of a Eureka moment for Souls players since the instinct is to always roll away, but rolling behind the enemy is often safer since they use their most dangerous moves from mid-distance.

This is the advice I keep giving as well. It goes against normal instincts, but rolling forward is the smartest thing to do for most bosses. I can't imagine how may tries The Abyss Watchers would have taken me if I wasn t rolling forward.

Mandelbo

I'll give it a try, thanks. I'm wearing heavy armour so my rolling isn't great.

Ah, I didn't realise that. Are you over 70% equip load? It's usually better to have more effective rolls than it is a few extra points of defense, so I'd recommend wearing some lighter armour too.

I beat the insanely
easy Cathedral of the Deep boss
but now got noidea were to go. Paths all lead back to the front of the
Church and I cannot see any other paths
.. Any hints?

dealer-

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me

Co-op? Make use of it, it's fun.

End-Game question:

Can I continue after the Soul of Cinder? Or is it instant NG+

After the credits, it gives you the option to start ng+ or remain in ng.

I beat the insanely
.. Any hints?
Return to the forest with giant crabs, there is another path.

I beat the insanely
.. Any hints?

Back in
Crucifixion woods, there's another path. just go straight instead of left.

SDCowboy

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me
I couldn't beat him by myself either. So I summoned someone and we took him out then and there. I then moved on with the game. lol

Co-op? Make use of it, it's fun.

Exactly. It's in the game for a reason. And I actually find boss fights more fun with a random partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom