• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxious

geez, the drop rate of those covenant items are ridiculously low, this aint fun anymore :s Even the previous games weren't this bad.

For those of you who have finished the Cathedral of the Deep. Where in the world do I find the lever to raise this platform so I can cross? I've looked everywhere. I've raised the other two in the large areas with the giants but I cannot find the lever for this one.

http://i.imgur.com/31VMG8B.jpg

Something is seriously messed up with summoning on PC. I've done 3 bosses now where as a phantom the boss doesn't even attack me or do damage at all if I run into them. I also cant see anyone else's moves/gestures. Very weird... anyone else seeing this?

Jindrael

Banned
For those of you who have finished the Cathedral of the Deep. Where in the world do I find the lever to raise this platform so I can cross? I've looked everywhere. I've raised the other two in the large areas with the giants but I cannot find the lever for this one.

http://i.imgur.com/31VMG8B.jpg

It's on the other side, the only way to get there is by dropping down on the otherside from the rafters at the top of the cathedral.
You can drop to a little platform from the top.

Ogawa-san

I infused my Uchi with fire and got it to +4, expecting to revert it once I had enough dex, but at 21 it's not even close yet. I wonder how many more upgrades or dex I'll need.

Well, I beat the game and can say that I am a bit disappointed overall. I think, for the time, I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 more for some reason. I hated the overall aesthetic of the game. Way too many Bloodborne assets reused, and not even some of the better ones (grey/boulders everywhere). I feel as if FROM took the look of Bloodborne, watered it down by removing the gothic/cosmic horror theme, and pasted some Souls stuff through-out.

I found a good portion of the bosses to be a let-down. The story to be as poorly executed as ever(story, not lore). Many of the areas just bored me, and for my taste, felt uninspired. In Dark Souls 2, there were some really cool and varied looking areas that I really enjoyed. In 3, I felt it was all too samey.

Magic is the worst it has ever been, it's almost broken. I think they didn't really put work into speeding it up as they did with the melee from Bloodborne's engine. With all of that said, the game is still very good, but I hoped for much more from the final Dark Souls game.

I think I'd put the Soulsbonre games that I have played in this order, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2=Dark Souls 3.

Erheller

Right, I have tried The Abyss Watchers 30 times now. I'm giving up, this boss is absolutely ridiculous and I can't beat it. I just don't have the skill. First phase is fine but the second is completely impossible. He closes the distance in a nanosecond and his attack range is the length of a motorway. I have gotten to this part 10 times and have only hit him twice, on both of those occasions he killed me straight away.

If I block him my stamina goes immediately and then he kills me
If I try to roll around him he uses a sweeping attack and then he kills me
If I try to use my flask he uses the opportunity to close the distance and then he kills me

I spent 3 grand on a TV last year, and I was dangerously close to putting my foot thru it. I tried. I'm not good enough for this game.

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me
and Fuck Konami as well I suppose.

Firebombs helped me a lot in that fight when I didn't want to get close to the second stage. Don't try to counter every move of his, hang back and wait for him to use a move that leaves him exposed for a while (I think there's at least one).

You could try doing co-op at the A
byss Watchers
to get lots of souls quickly - I imagine there'll be no shortage of people needing a hand.

Funnily enough yesterday I couldn't get summoned for that boss. When I removed my summon sign there were like 10 other signs right in front of the fog gate.

5000 souls for beaten that demon on the top in
fallen keep
seriously From...Seriously!

And then you get to waste your 5000 souls on Havel's ring... which seems pretty useless to me compared to the Dark Souls Havel's ring.

Finally got to play this some today - been busy all week and this morning I had some actual down time to play and enjoy the game. Been fun so far, but I don't know if I'm just used to the Souls combat or not by now but it seems a lot easier - beat the first boss on my first try and the second boss (real first boss?) after three tries no problem. Had a lot more problems with their equivalents in Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2 than here.

Of course, the one thing that got me - early area spoilers:
First chest I found, I decided to hit it just because of mimics, but totally did not expect the chest to ACTUALLY BE A MIMIC THAT EARLY IN THE GAME.
Fucking From!

I've managed to keep myself mostly spoiler free for this game, so I probably won't be jumping into the topic that often, but I'm just curious - the new weapon skills or whatever, will we be able to easily tell if a weapon/shield has a special ability? Or should I be paying attention to every weapon I pick up and going through all their descriptions?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Right, I have tried The Abyss Watchers 30 times now. I'm giving up, this boss is absolutely ridiculous and I can't beat it. I just don't have the skill. First phase is fine but the second is completely impossible. He closes the distance in a nanosecond and his attack range is the length of a motorway. I have gotten to this part 10 times and have only hit him twice, on both of those occasions he killed me straight away.

If I try to use my flask he uses the opportunity to close the distance and then he kills me

I spent 3 grand on a TV last year, and I was dangerously close to putting my foot thru it. I tried. I'm not good enough for this game.

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me

I fucking love this post. So, so much.

Enemy question for an optional area:

Does H
avel
drop anything -- not the one that is summoned, but the one standing by the dead dragon and titanite slab?

He got a little too zealous with his jump attack and went over the cliff. lol

I've been back since and there's nothing laying around anywhere.

Manu

So after killing
Aldrich
with Anri and she dying at the same time, I faced him alone.

We killed each other at the same time too.

Enemy question for an optional area:

Does H
avel
drop anything -- not the one that is summoned, but the one standing by the dead dragon and titanite slab?

He got a little too zealous with his jump attack and went over the cliff. lol

I've been back since and there's nothing laying around anywhere.

Drops another slab I think.

Firebombs helped me a lot in that fight when I didn't want to get close to the second stage. Don't try to counter every move of his, hang back and wait for him to use a move that leaves him exposed for a while (I think there's at least one).

Funnily enough yesterday I couldn't get summoned for that boss. When I removed my summon sign there were like 10 other signs right in front of the fog gate.
I went a ridiculously long time waiting around to get summoned there and eventually logged in and out. I got connected pretty quickly after that. I'm wondering if there was something going where the game thought I was already connected to another player.

Fhtagn

Great axe hit box is absurd in pvp. Getting killed from multiple feet away on swings that don't come close to hitting me. And it seems to stun me long enough to guarantee two hits at a time. Not sure how to approach it; parrying is too finicky compared to how brutal the hitbox is.

BriGuy

Looks like I skipped a lot of stuff if the Watcher dudes were my third boss. I feel almost bad for winning that fight on my first attempt after reading through some of the thread. I can't even offer any. advice because I was co-oping with some Dark Souls bad ass that just rolled under his attacks and punished him while I basically hid back and got a few cheap backstabs in.

Git (someone) gud?

Persona7

Banned
Something is seriously messed up with summoning on PC. I've done 3 bosses now where as a phantom the boss doesn't even attack me or do damage at all if I run into them. I also cant see anyone else's moves/gestures. Very weird... anyone else seeing this?

If you use a router, do you have UPNP enabled? If not, enable it and restart your router and try again.

Question: I've been ignoring weapon infusion completely , is it worth bothering with? (am halfway through the game atm)

It seems like a really obtuse system to me and I'm not sure how much lowering/removing scaling does compared to adding an element or something, nor how the elements affect enemies.

Question 2: have you guys found any particularly fun /good weapons to use? So far Ive mainly used straight swords (currently using the thorns sword at +5) and the farron's greatsword (fun but it doesn't scale very well past midgame and those transpose weapon upgrade items seem insanely rare)

I have 2 scythes from early game and they seemed fun to use, but their damage is low at +3 compared to my other +3 weapons.

Question 3: is it worth looking into magic as a melee character? like if I put some points into wisdom or w/e and equip a magic offhand are there spells I can be effective with?

wut. Vordt is easy, but Pursuer is one of the easiest bosses there is. He can be parried so easily it's ridiculous.

I learned pursuer's pattern after 2 tries and would have killed him on the third had I not tried to side step his broken hitbox slow stab. It missed me by 2 character widths but my guy got teleported onto the end of his weapon anyhow. He was like 2 hits away from death.

Had I rolled I would have thought he was easy too

I failed him like 8 more times after that (frustrated by the hitbox insult)
That and having to roll into his side swing (iframing it) instead of away from it to the left (also counter intuitive and the animation never suggested it would hit you if you rolled left

His pattern was super easy but like everything in ds2 it was made harder by the game being janky. (every boss and enemy spinning in place mid animation to try your movement basically removed sidestepping from the game)

So yeah, pursuer was the wrong kind of "hard" (broken, counter intuitive because of the game failing to provide feedback)

Zeliard

I infused my Uchi with fire and got it to +4, expecting to revert it once I had enough dex, but at 21 it's not even close yet. I wonder how many more upgrades or dex I'll need.

One thing to keep in mind is that if your weapon does both physical and elemental damage, it's going through two separate defenses before it calculates the damage total. Just because the number on your profile sheet is higher doesn't necessarily mean it's doing more damage to every enemy. Why fire is so good especially early game is because a lot of enemies are naked and vulnerable to it, and DEX scaling isn't making up for the difference yet.

Eventually you may want to upgrade it to Sharp and then use various buffs to enhance it, including fire, since those will only add to its existing physical damage and keep scaling intact.

TitusTroy

question about late game boss...

I have to fight Aldrich and that Dancer boss back-to-back?...Aldrich was tough for me and I used up all my health...I didn't want to fight the Dancer at that time so I used a Homeward Bone...I went back to the Aldrich bonfire and the Dancer is gone...where do I find her?

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Quick question for
Farron's keep.
Is there any poison resistance ring I can buy or find anywhere? Right now I can only buy the poison moss but that is in limited quantity.

bidguy

Banned
question about late game boss...

I have to fight Aldrich and that Dancer boss back-to-back?...Aldrich was tough for me and I used up all my health...I didn't want to fight the Dancer at that time so I used a Homeward Bone...I went back to the Aldrich bonfire and the Dancer is gone...where do I find her?

walk up to the altar in the church

I feel dumb, but sometimes I can't tell when I'm being invaded by NPCs or when it's a real player, lol. Sometimes the name makes it obvious or how they act when battling. Other times, I'm just not sure.

Ferr986

So (covenants spoiler) there's no difference
between being a Darkmoon and a Blue Sentinel other than rewards , right?

I think I'm gonna be
a Darkmoon. I kind of liked being a Blue bro and I don't give a shit about that ass that was Gwyndolin, but felt bad for the Darkmoon waifu being all alone (she says her company has no knights now).

Hakkuei

Do you lose your souls if you die after being summoned as a watchdog/blue sentinel? It's damn tedious having to run back to wherever I died to retrieve my souls after invading.

Just made it to U
ntended Graves
and C
hampion Gundyr
And holy mindfuck Batman.
This combined with
Eclipse
ID say this is definitely the best souls game.

Mandelbo

Question: I've been ignoring weapon infusion completely , is it worth bothering with? (am halfway through the game atm)

It seems like a really obtuse system to me and I'm not sure how much lowering/removing scaling does compared to adding an element or something, nor how the elements affect enemies.

It's been much more useful to me than it was in previous games. There's basically no reason I see not to infuse now, since you have gems that boost str and dex scaling and even a gem that boosts both. If you're mainly levelling str, go with a heavy infusion, if you're levelling dex go with sharp, if you're levelling both equally go with refined.

Auctopus

Poison does absolutely nothing in this game, even Toxic only does slightly worse. I was running round the swamp yesterday like it was nothing.

Armor spoilers

Dancer crown
+
wolf knight armor
+
loran's leggings

00D39BB04792520E7C2803F2B299ACDF089C4357
7CF91B7CC49C472013E1AAA6138FA820C4B4A77C

unless the DLC has some dope looking armor, I will never change out of this. Lorian's leggings look liek they are made for wolf knight (arotrias) chest, it looks much better than the actual artorias legs

edit: sorry for the horrible steam compression

Yep, great pic. I was gonna post the
Dancer Crown, Artorias Armor
combo earlier this week but I thought it was too
spoily.

Did they happen to buff magic recently or something? I just decided to try out a new character running sorcery and beat the first boss with little effort. It was even easier than melee since each Soul Arrow took like 10% of his health away.

mxgt

Banned
Quick question for
Farron's keep.
Is there any poison resistance ring I can buy or find anywhere? Right now I can only buy the poison moss but that is in limited quantity.

It's early on in
Cathedral of the Deep
, which is right after
Crystal Sage
boss fight.

Did they happen to buff magic recently or something? I just decided to try out a new character running sorcery and beat the first boss with little effort. It was even easier than melee since each Soul Arrow took like 10% of his health away.

The first boss is a terrible measuring stick for the strength of ANY build type.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I've restarted the game 3 times and am now on my 3rd character and final character. You know how after you kill the first boss your outfit glows and looks like it's slightly on fire? That didn't happen to my current character for some reason, it still looks the same as in the beginning :(

Trace

Banned
Well took me about 27 hours but I beat it. Man what a fantastic game, probably best in the series IMO. So many cool and unique weapons and armor sets. PvP is actually pretty solid atm too, doesn't seem like anyone is using "meta" weapons.

Noobcraft

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me
The solution:
don't lock on to him.
His attacks can't handle rolling lol.

Status