• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRed

Hard area
Irithyll I made it through everything on one life but Pontiff is kicking my fucking ass with that 2nd phase. I don't want to resort to summoning yet though.

Zekes!

I feel like this game has been my first proper Souls experience, as I've been an outside fan for the most part up until now, though my situation is fairly unique.

I originally picked up Demon's Souls when the word of mouth was picking up to play at my friend's house as he had a PS3 and I didn't. I played it for a bit and my friends and I thought it was cool but really hard. I returned weeks later and my friend, along with another friend, had gotten super deep into the game and had become huge fans (this might have been the second or third time I introduced my friend to a game that essentially consumed him).

Since that point on, I ended up experiencing Demon's Souls and the original Dark Souls through watching my friends play, and when I went to play my own playthroughs, the feeling of discovery was gone as I had seen all the areas, and my friends were constantly giving me advice on where to go and what to do.

I picked up Dark Souls II on release day and put a decent amount of time into it, but it wasn't really grabbing me as I wasn't liking the level design, though I liked being able to discover stuff about the game for myself. I ended up skipping Bloodborne because by the time I got a PS4 I had already basically experienced it from watching a lot of streams.

Dark Souls III has been for me what I really wanted from Dark Souls II; the experience of getting to discover this kind of game for myself and it being totally engaging. I've also accumalted enough knowledge about how these games work that I was able to go into it with a certain level of understanding that has made it more enjoyable as well, combined with them being a little more upfront with some of the mechanics and systems.

I'm just finishing up the C
athedral
and I'm completely loving this game.

Hard area
Irithyll I made it through everything on one life but Pontiff is kicking my fucking ass with that 2nd phase. I don't want to resort to summoning yet though.

Dunno what your damage output is like, but the way I fought him, he only had 20% health left when he first started attacking again in phase 2, because he gives you so much time to completely destroy him when he does that one thing at the start of the phase.

Soulflarz

Banned
Eh I died two times and then got used to those new enemies. Kicking helps wonders, but I still doubt I'd be able to take two of those fast things at the same time.
Invisible zombies
are much easier tho :p
Hmm, kicking

tbh I almost always only used it...when it was an accident >_>

I just iframe spam (aka roll with proper timing) then slash away

shiroryu

Playing this slowly and taking in every bit...

Is it just me though or are the regular enemies tougher than the boss, at least in the first area? Cleared the Lothric boss in the first try with ease, but damn those Knights. Even got ganked by the two thieves below the second bonfire from embered full health lol....embarassing.

So no one uses poison or bleed huh?

I don't have the guide either so I can't look at enemy stats to see if too many enemies are strong against that stuff.

Still, might go poison if I can get enough enemies to take it.

So no one uses poison or bleed huh?

I don't have the guide either so I can't look at enemy stats to see if too many enemies are strong against that stuff.

Still, might go poison if I can get enough enemies to take it.

I'm using the Uchi and bleed is so goddamn good. I love seeing 4 digit numbers suddenly.

Is it just me though or are the regular enemies tougher than the boss, at least in the first area? Cleared the Lothric boss in the first try with ease, but damn those Knights. Even got ganked by the two thieves below the second bonfire from embered full health lol....embarassing.

Yeah, the regular enemies seem to be harder than the bosses lol. Those Knights were kicking my arse for the longest until I formed a strategy against them with the Uchigatana: 2H run charge attack > 2-hit combo and roll back. The running attack almost always stuns them and I can combo them from there. I've been farming them for equipment and Souls, I even got the full Knight set and everything else but that darn Shield (I got the Greatshield that requires 36 STR, but not the smaller one).

I'm 5 bosses deep so far and that pattern has held true for subsequent areas. The areas themselves are fucking hard, with brutal enemies and encojnters, but the bosses are quite easy. They've all been sort of gimmick fights too since Vordt. They're stilll cool though.

tfw you got no estus left and just stumbled your way through a dark/scary/hard area and stumble upon a shortcut back to the bonfire

jr-celebration.gif

edit: and yes, the areas are TOTALLY harder than all the bosses. Cool bosses tho, but the only one that took me more than 2 tries was Eldritch or however you spell that name.

Dancer
is probably one of the coolest bosses in any Dark Souls game. The way she moves, the music, the atmosphere, it's amazing. She isn't that difficult but that also works as the frustration never overcomes the appreciation.

The only one that compares is Artorias, but then they kind of ruined him by giving a variation of his move set to various bosses in both Dark Souls 2 and 3.

Uhh, so just "beat" the
Crystal Sage
although not really, as his life only got down to less than a quarter, then the phantom assisting me died I hear the boss kill sound. The bonfire appears but boss HP bar is still there.

Also severe amounts of ice skating going on with phantoms in this swamp area.

Edit: I Alt-F4'd out, and was popped outside the boss again, killed him this time and it worked properly. I had already lit that bonfire though, lol.

Grief.exe

Been getting summoned at the first boss so I can learn the attacks. This is an absurd amount of summons.

Every time I get summoned the host summons another phantom to help, then triggers the boss cutscene, proving the host has never even attempted the boss before.

The Souls Community was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

Been getting summoned at the first boss so I can learn the attacks. This is an absurd amount of summons.

Every time I get summoned the host summons another phantom to help, then triggers the boss cutscene, proving the host has never even attempted the boss before.

People are still stuck with Ludwig the first boss of BB DLC, I can feel them. Reminds me of the Pursuer lake of summons signs on Dark Souls 2

Playing a boss for the first time as a phantom is equally bewildering to me

Rich!

Doh, ran out of embers....and I've used up all of the ones at firelink shrine.

Any good sources to farm them? At all? halp. I'm at the pontiff and he's kicking my ass.

Also, this game performs like a fucking dream on my pc (SSD, i7 3770k (4.2ghz) gtx970, 16gb RAM, windows 10). And so far, I feel it is significantly better than both dark souls 1 and 2 combined. It's fantastic. The linear approach actually works superbly imo. And Firelink Shrine gives me total Demons Souls vibes.

DukeBobby

Yeah, this has happened almost every time I've been summoned.

I mean, c'mon, at least try the boss first.

KHlover

Banned
Doh, ran out of embers....and I've used up all of the ones at firelink shrine.

Any good sources to farm them? At all? halp. I'm at the pontiff and he's kicking my ass.

Also, this game performs like a fucking dream on my pc (SSD, i7 3770k (4.2ghz) gtx970, 16gb RAM, windows 10). And so far, I feel it is significantly better than both dark souls 1 and 2 combined. It's fantastic. The linear approach actually works superbly imo. And Firelink Shrine gives me total Demons Souls vibes.

Be a (Sun)bro and help other players with their bosses. 1 Ember/fight. I sit at 70 Ember right now :D

skny

I started as Deprived, I almost never use shield or any embers and the game is absolutely kicking my ass. I'm at
Pontiff
and I needed to take a break from the game lol.

Fuck, I'm not too far but I'm not feeling the knight class. Gonna reroll a sorcery build. Hows that shit play in this game? I kept hearing it was grossly underpowered but I'm not sure.

Have you found that any bosses are vulnerable to bleed? That's my main sticking point. I think I'd go two weapons; one bleed for mobs and one dex for bosses.

I didn't mean I infused my uchi with bleed. It's infused Sharp, but it still bleeds enemies really fucking well, and I'm not sacrificing damage. Haven't noticed if I've bled any bosses. I could rewatch all my videos I suppose.

Brohan

So im heading into
Cathedral of the deep
and I find a bonfire inside a church (the one one with two locked doors) and something i don't even see dies and gives me 600 Souls. That can't be an npc right? Cause that would Suck hard. Didn't even see what or where.

So im heading into
Cathedral of the deep
and I find a bonfire inside a church (the one one with two locked doors) and something i don't even see dies and gives me 600 Souls. That can't be an npc right? Cause that would Suck hard. Didn't even see what or where.

It's not. There are enemies that set themselves on fire and try to explode on you in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom