• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesmokey

As a Pyromancer I simply cannot kill the boss
Abyss Watchers. I'm about to give up for awhile on this one. The closest I've gotten is phase two 25%. However, the amount of frustration that is locking on to cast spells, then going into free-form camera to run away, toggling back and forth, etc., is just too great in this fight. I simply can't seem to maintain it throughout the entire fight.

I also am wondering if I should respec. I only have enough Stamina to get off two Fire Orbs, which means if I get off a Fire Orb, chances are I don't have enough stamina to roll usually. The casting time is also incredibly slow :/. I think I screwed up my build by dumping a bunch into int and attunement, realizing I also needed Faith, then trying to get Dext for some weapons.

Should I be using Greatsword +3 on this fight and Pyromancer Flame +2? I don't have any Large Titanite shards to upgrade anything further. Am I severely underpowered? I'm actually Level 40, so it seems like I'm high (trash mobs are easy).

I dunno, I'm really not feeling Pyromancer for this fight at all. Most bosses so far have simply worked better going pure melee mode. Almost into desperation mode for summon help.

Onemic

Abyss Watchers. I'm about to give up for awhile on this one. The closest I've gotten is phase two 25%. However, the amount of frustration that is locking on to cast spells, then going into free-form camera to run away, toggling back and forth, etc., is just too great in this fight. I simply can't seem to maintain it throughout the entire fight.

I also am wondering if I should respec. I only have enough Stamina to get off two Fire Orbs, which means if I get off a Fire Orb, chances are I don't have enough stamina to roll usually. The casting time is also incredibly slow :/. I think I screwed up my build by dumping a bunch into int and attunement, realizing I also needed Faith, then trying to get Dext for some weapons.

Should I be using Greatsword +3 on this fight and Pyromancer Flame +2? I don't have any Large Titanite shards to upgrade anything further. Am I severely underpowered? I'm actually Level 40, so it seems like I'm high (trash mobs are easy).

I dunno, I'm really not feeling Pyromancer for this fight at all. Most bosses so far have simply worked better going pure melee mode. Almost into desperation mode for summon help.

I just co-op'd it tbh.

Your pyro flame should actually do a ton of dmg to him.(Each fire orb did 1/8 of his health for me) The biggest thing is getting out of the way of those AOE slashes he does in phase two.

dmr87

And there it is, another masterpiece. But the journey is far from over.

Last boss was a challenge. Didn't bother to try
parrying him so I don't know if that makes the fight easier, just relied on my dodging

XDNb.png

Level 82 and 32 hours, solo and blind.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

You're like 10 levels higher than I was when I did that fight in like 2 tries. Not trying to toot my own horn, just saying your build sounds kind of all over the place.

I'd just summon if I were you.

Maybe switch to a long sword and buff it with resin? You can stunlock them and get in a lot of hits.

I don't think you're ever supposed to go straight sorcery/pyromancy/miracle build. I did mix and it seems to be going fairly well. Later on with better pyromancies, pyromancy has felt necessary. I was able to really wreck p
ontiff
with a pytomancy I got from a boss

Manu

I think my progress may be glitched? After killing
Aldrich
I've got nowhere to go. Maybe because we killed each other at the same time?

oh my lord, I legit had more trouble with the monster on
the bridge to Irithyll
than literally anything else in the game thus far. I managed to figure it out, but damn that took me a few tries.

I fucking hated that thing. Still, it could have been worse...imagine fighting two of them at once?

Cathedral of the Depth
was probably the best level so far, very DS1 in design. A shame they pretty much abandoned the Metroidvania-style enviroment, really.

Dark Souls 1 still their magnus opus, all things considering.

I don't really care about the lack of interconnectedness when the individual level design is this good, TBH. You can still see how the world comes together (pretty much all the areas I've found so far are clearly visible from either the High Wall or the Undead Settlement) and they flow believably. I think it's a shame some people are going to overlook the often spectacular level design just because the areas don't all end up looping back to Firelink.

joesmokey

I just co-op'd it tbh.

Your pyro flame should actually do a ton of dmg to him.(Each fire orb did 1/8 of his health for me) The biggest thing is getting out of the way of those AOE slashes he does in phase two.
It does decent damage, but trying to find that opening to land the hit and be able to evade efficiently is proving the most difficult part. On my best attempts, I've gotten him to 25%, but the length of the fight gets to me.
You're like 10 levels higher than I was when I did that fight in like 2 tries. Not trying to toot my own horn, just saying your build sounds kind of all over the place.

I'd just summon if I were you.
I did the cathedral area first so that might explain the levels?

I think I need to respec my build. This is my first real attempt at DS (and not giving up) so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing for Pyromancer (outside Attunement/Int/Faith).

Here are my numbers:
13/21/14/8/12/14/22/18/7

Any recommendations?
Maybe switch to a long sword and buff it with resin? You can stunlock them and get in a lot of hits.
I think I'd have to put more points into Str or Dext to equip anything else effectively. I've mostly been trying phase 2 with magic only, but maybe that's a losing proposition and I should just go melee.

TheXbox

Anyone else having issues with summons tonight? I got a couple, and they were both frozen models jaunting around without animating.

Wagram

So gamespot said this regarding hollowing....

Quest Spoiler:

When you speak to Yoel in the Firelink Shrine, Yoel will offer to "unlock your true power" by branding you with a Dark Sigil item. Accept this proposition to get a "free" skill point, but it's important to note that doing this turns you Hollow. That is, your maximum hit points begin to decrease each time you die. Yoel can give you up to five "free" skill points via this process, however, you need to die two times to gain a new skill point and a Dark Sigil from him. Do this as soon as possible, as he can die later on in the game's story.

Someone else said it makes you more vulnerable to holy damage cause by lothric knights, bosses and the the following miracles: Divine Pillars of Light and Blessed weapon (buff)

So basically....should I be doing offering boss help to raise the 100,000 souls to fix this?

I played with that on the entire game and I never lost HP on death like that. Sounds like non-sense to me.

MoonGred

After having a relatively easy time in the game I'm now stuck at
the Old Demon King. His aoe and getting stuck against something is was does it every single time, I can barely take off 20% of his health. Maybe it's my strength build, but I feel like I'm fighting the camera more than the boss in this instance. Maybe I should just move on to Irithyll.

Dez_

Is there something I'm missing when it comes to summoning / being summoned by friends? Was trying to do a coop session with someone, set our passwords, but he couldn't see my sign. I am much higher in level, but I thought those restrictions wouldn't apply when setting up passwords.

And there it is, another masterpiece. But the journey is far from over.

Last boss was a challenge. Didn't bother to try
parrying him so I don't know if that makes the fight easier, just relied on my dodging

XDNb.png

Level 82 and 32 hours, solo and blind.

zomfg miyazaki directed? SPPOOOOOOIIILLLLERRRS

GJ dude.

Forgot I had a respec option. I'm lvl 68 and only put points in Dex,vit, and endurance but sucks I can't use better gear without a fat roll. What would you say is good mix of stats for a Dex build at my current lvl?

Fuck gankers. Got funneled into the same group of 4 hovering over my spawn point 7 times while playing tonight. I'm grabbing a friend and cheesing the covenant medals because fuck that shit.

Puppen

Banned
Just got invaded by a shithead coward walking behind a powerful mob. I don't understand these people. At least alt + f4 exists.

web01

Can someone answer in a non spoiler way.
How far into the game can I turn in Sunbro tokens?
I feel like maybe i missed the shrine.
I am at least 6 major areas in.

Onemic

I fucking hated that thing. Still, it could have been worse...imagine fighting two of them at once?

I don't really care about the lack of interconnectedness when the individual level design is this good, TBH. You can still see how the world comes together (pretty much all the areas I've found so far are clearly visible from either the High Wall or the Undead Settlement) and they flow believably. I think it's a shame some people are going to overlook the often spectacular level design just because the areas don't all end up looping back to Firelink.

So happy Im a pyro. Beat the dude in two tries.

And speaking of interconnectedness, everything in the world(at least from what I've played) connects together, so Im not quite sure where people are getting that from. Only difference is that you can teleport to any bonfire from the outset of the game vs. DS1 where you could only do it during the last quarter of the game.

Can someone answer in a non spoiler way.
How far into the game can I turn in Sunbro tokens?
I feel like maybe i missed the shrine.
I am at least 6 major areas in.
It's pretty damn far, like 10 bosses in, something like that,it's in the area after you have defeated 3 lords of cinder

Onemic

It does decent damage, but trying to find that opening to land the hit and be able to evade efficiently is proving the most difficult part. On my best attempts, I've gotten him to 25%, but the length of the fight gets to me.

I think I need to respec my build. This is my first real attempt at DS (and not giving up) so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing for Pyromancer (outside Attunement/Int/Faith).

Here are my numbers:
13/21/14/8/12/14/22/18/7

Any recommendations?

I think I'd have to put more points into Str or Dext to equip anything else effectively. I've mostly been trying phase 2 with magic only, but maybe that's a losing proposition and I should just go melee.

Faith/Int should be the same level if the scaling is like in DS2.

Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
might be my favourite area in the entire series. Coming from the previous zone, the reveal is simply breathtaking, and it's also incredibly beautiful. Slowly realising
I'd been there before
was just the icing on the cake.

Am I.....going to have to fight two of them at once?

:(

Good luck! Fortunately, it's optional.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Here are my numbers:
13/21/14/8/12/14/22/18/7

Any recommendations?

You should dump some points into vigor ASAP. If this is your first real crack at the series you chose a pretty tough road to go down with sticking to pyromancy. Do you have access to the NPC who sells sorceries? You have enough INT for magic weapon and 1 point off from great magic weapon which would both help you out a lot.

So what's a good point to go through the
Smouldering Lake
? I just beat
Wolnir
and am in
Irithyll
now.

So happy Im a pyro. Beat the dude in two tries.

I've been beating most of the bosses so far in two tries. The first attempt seems to be more of a learning experience in most cases.

So I think I fucked up lol. There was a message that said "secret ahead" (location: I
rithyll
)
I hit the statue and it turned into a mage thing, but I accidentally hit attack twice and ended up killing him. He dropped the chameleon spell.
What did I just make myself miss out on?

KingKong

You know what the trick to tough boss fights is? Take a 30 minute break and relax. Every time I've died more than 3 times I've done that and beaten them first or second try after

Lemonheap

Banned
Trying to get to the area below the bridge that breaks. Looked up a video on youtube but can't do it. I die of fall damage every time. Any way of doing it or am I just blocked off? I need the boss down there!

Grisby

So with a STR build, what's the best direction to take the Dark Sword in? Also, what's a good end game one had shield? Thinking about spending my TT on Dragon Crest.
Trying to get to the area below the bridge that breaks. Looked up a video on youtube but can't do it. I die of fall damage every time. Any way of doing it or am I just blocked off? I need the boss down there!
Use the
bridge.

TheFlow

Banned
So what's a good point to go through the
Smouldering Lake
? I just beat
Wolnir
and am in
Irithyll
now.

I've been beating most of the bosses so far in two tries. The first attempt seems to be more of a learning experience in most cases.

go back trust me you will want all the valuables to upgrade your gear

Awww shiet, A
byss
W
atchers
down!! The adrealine is pumping! First challenging boss so far, but not unfair. Once you learn the timings, its a matter of countering with the Claymore beast stagger/stunlock. I probably could have used a bit more stamina though...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

There should be a button prompt on the broken bridge to climb down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom