• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly do invaders work? This is my first Dark souls sorry.
In this game when you use an Ember you become unkindled. It rises your hp and allows you to summon but also opens your world up to be invaded by other players.

Depending on your covenant other players will sometimes come to help you when you get invaded.

Welp, I was beginning to think that I was getting burnt out on this series during the quagmire lull of F
arron's Keep
, but man,
Abyss Walkers
might be one of my favorite fights in the whole series. Good mix of Gehrman and Artorias-style combat. Oh, and I won in dramatic fashion as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZQRxDVuABM

Where next? C
atacombs
or the place after the C
rystal boss from earlier
?

In this game when you use an Ember you become unkindled. It rises your hp and allowed you to summon but also opens you up to be invaded by other players.
I used a ember awhile ago on a boss, and haven't died since. I still have the effects of ember on, I can just randomly be invaded at any time?😟😟😬😱

I've had 3 v 1's like this happen to me at least a few times. I don't understand how anyone can find that fun, I guess it must only appeal to losers who get their rocks off at annoying people.

So like invaders? It goes both ways. If people don't want to put up with your shit, they won't. You shouldn't expect and are not entitled to duels when invading.

Hey guys, I just beat the
Dancer
of the
Boreal Valley.
Anyone mind telling me approximately how far into the game I am?
about ~70-75 depending on. What optional areas you have done.

Will giving the Fire Keeper the
Fire Keeper Soul
mess up any of the Londor/Anri stuff?

Also still looking for an answer to this...
no it won't mess it up.

Welp, I was beginning to think that I was getting burnt out on this series during the quagmire lull of F
arron's Keep
, but man,
Abyss Walkers
might be one of my favorite fights in the whole series. Good mix of Gehrman and Artorias-style combat. Oh, and I won in dramatic fashion as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZQRxDVuABM

Where next? C
atacombs
or the place after the C
rystal boss from earlier
?
place after the
crystal boss.

finalflame

I love it when people invade my game and all I have to do is alt+f4 to get rid of them. Thank you From Software for this glorious ability, to play the game the way I want to. Invaders are annoying.

The way to not get invaded is to stay unkindled. Good job breaking the game in your favor and destroying the balance of risk vs. reward.

about ~70-75 depending on. What optional areas you have done.

Sweet, thanks!

Persona7

Banned
I love it when people invade my game and all I have to do is alt+f4 to get rid of them. Thank you From Software for this glorious ability, to play the game the way I want to. Invaders are annoying.

If you can't handle the way the game was designed, pull the internet cord. Ruining other peoples experience is a terrible, selfish way to go about this.

Got to
the watery forest area, was merrily murdering small crabs thinking 'lol' to myself when their gigantic fucking mother came around the corner at 100mph.
Check the soul counter...at 24k...homeward bone the fuck out stat!

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
The
crucifixion woods
is the worst. I get invaded within 5 minutes every single time. Really puts a damper on trying to play coop but at least alt+f4 works with no ramifications.

Floody

So I just attacked a statue at C
hurch
of Y
orshka
, that was actually a P
ilgrim
, killing it, is that bad?

psychotron

Jesus Christ,
curing hollowing costs nearly 100K souls
. And I apparently screwed up on the
Anri questline by telling her where I found Horace
. "Oh, it's just cosmetic no harm in it." Why do I listen to you, GAF. Why.

I'm getting the bad ending now, aren't I? Not spending 100K. Doubt I could even accumulate that.

Wait, so unless you get
100,000 souls and cure the dark sigil...
you get a shitty ending? Wish I had known that before I took
two levels
from that asshole.

Timeaisis

It doesn't matter if you tell her where he is, as long as you kill him before the timeframe ends for that part of the quest. i.e. don't kill Wolnir and move on. But i assume you've already gone beyond that point.

Well, I
killed Horace
because he attacked me. Then told Anri about it. So I have no idea what will happen now lol.

Wait, so unless you get
100,000 souls and cure the dark sigil...
you get a shitty ending? Wish I had known that before I took
two levels
from that asshole.

Based on what I've read, the only "bad" ending requires you to do something in particular at the end of the game and has nothing to do with the hollowing stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
Took me 3 tries to beat P
outiffy solyahn
The area was challenging but once I got to the second bonfire it was ez. Also spoiler for dark souls 1
there a shit ton of dark souls 1 references from the paintings to smaugh hammer
I was scared because I read how many people were stuck on him but this fool has more openings than the regular mobs outside his door.

I beat him two more times right after as a summon to boost my souls up.

Just finished beating
the Abyss Watchers.
So much fun.

Target shield is godlike! Will probably start carrying it along with my 100% physical block shield, at least until i find a parrying dagger.

Can anyone answer this with a yes/no please?

Are there any night areas/skyboxes? I realized earlier that everything has been day so far and was wondering. Still early in the game.

Zeliard

The
crucifixion woods
is the worst. I get invaded within 5 minutes every single time. Really puts a damper on trying to play coop but at least alt+f4 works with no ramifications.

There's a covenant centered on invading that area so you're going to get a lot more of them there than most other places.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Soooo.... Anyone here playing a pure Sorcery or Faith build? I don't mean Faith or Sorcery as a supporting part of your character, but rather the focus. Be really interesting to hear about your experiences with the game, I'd imagine it's much, much harder than the rest of us.

Vire

Wondering if someone can help.

Some jerk
Onion Knight
just kicked me down a lowering platform and I don't know how to get back across?

ohhhhhh yesssssss

like you've never seeeeeeeeeeeeen befooorrrreeee

Damn, that actually looks like NPC dialogue.

Happy about that woooo.

On a side note, I'm playing with Sennheiser headphones and the sound design in the
forest area is incredible, very eerie and subtle.
Also have to say that level design thus far has been fantastic and very engaging to the point I haven't cared about particular interconnectivity while playing. I thought
Undead Settlement
was just great.

TheFlow

Banned
Wondering if someone can help.

Some jerk
Onion Knight
just kicked me down a lowering platform and I don't know how to get back across?
at the first bonfire take the elevator up to the roof. Kill the archer in front of you. Then walk around the side but don't jump down. As you walk around you will see a ladder that take you straight up.
real onion bro is in the well outside of the bonfire

oh my lord, I legit had more trouble with the monster on
the bridge to Irithyll
than literally anything else in the game thus far. I managed to figure it out, but damn that took me a few tries.

psychotron

So gamespot said this regarding hollowing....

Quest Spoiler:

When you speak to Yoel in the Firelink Shrine, Yoel will offer to "unlock your true power" by branding you with a Dark Sigil item. Accept this proposition to get a "free" skill point, but it's important to note that doing this turns you Hollow. That is, your maximum hit points begin to decrease each time you die. Yoel can give you up to five "free" skill points via this process, however, you need to die two times to gain a new skill point and a Dark Sigil from him. Do this as soon as possible, as he can die later on in the game's story.

Someone else said it makes you more vulnerable to holy damage cause by lothric knights, bosses and the the following miracles: Divine Pillars of Light and Blessed weapon (buff)

So basically....should I be doing offering boss help to raise the 100,000 souls to fix this?

Taruranto

Cathedral of the Depth
was probably the best level so far, very DS1 in design. A shame they pretty much abandoned the Metroidvania-style enviroment, really.

Dark Souls 1 still their magnus opus, all things considering.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The
crucifixion woods
I'd stop doing that if I were you. Since there is a link restoring item like the bone of order you will probably get kicked off the online features after enough quits, and if it's like the bone of order you only get one of those items after a set amount of in-game time.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Quest Spoiler:

When you speak to Yoel in the Firelink Shrine, Yoel will offer to "unlock your true power" by branding you with a Dark Sigil item. Accept this proposition to get a "free" skill point, but it's important to note that doing this turns you Hollow. That is, your maximum hit points begin to decrease each time you die. Yoel can give you up to five "free" skill points via this process, however, you need to die two times to gain a new skill point and a Dark Sigil from him. Do this as soon as possible, as he can die later on in the game's story.

Someone else said it makes you more vulnerable to holy damage cause by lothric knights, bosses and the the following miracles: Divine Pillars of Light and Blessed weapon (buff)

So basically....should I be doing offering boss help to raise the 100,000 souls to fix this?

Hollowing has no downsides. Definitely no loss of max health.

TheFlow

Banned

Quest Spoiler:

You are fine. And there is an item you can get for free to cure you at anytime.

Unai

It looks like there's no penality for using a shield which you have enought Strengh. Maybe it will has less stability? It seems it will still take all the 100% of physical defense.

Quest Spoiler:

It really depends on
whether you want the extra/secret ending or not. Everything I've seen has seemed to imply that it is cosmetic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom