• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Can't get a summon to work. At all. Never once throughout the whole game and now I need it
Nameless King is fucking terrible boss. Amazing idea, abysmal execution.

Do you have matchmaking turned On in settings? It helps. Also, look for summon signs around that bonfire. That's where I found them at least.

Sullichin

I used 'waifus' to play co-op with queen of hunting
we got invaded still

...is....
is waifus common?

Or is it solely a password for coop restrictions?
I believe it works for red soapstone sign invasions as well. Don't think it affects regular invasions. It shouldn't anyway, that would be kind of a lame way to get around the invasion mechanic.

Zocano

Ever since reading the breakdown of how defenses work in this game, all the "take more damage!" rings are hilarious with how little the downside is. There is a ring in particular that gives you VIG/END/VIT and it's hilariously amazing. Definitely this game's FaP ring level of "PUT THIS ON AND NEVER TAKE IT OFF"

Acorn

God damn that
black knight
(not really a spoiler but hey ho) on the right side of the road of sacrifice swamp doesn't fuck around. He crushed my level 26 ass, thought I had it down but the dude got other ideas.

ugoo18

Jesus, sounds utterly brutal. I imagined a scenario like that, but it's worse to hear about it firsthand. I've always played melee but went full-magic in DS2 and wound up being pretty frustrated much of the time, especially running into bosses who were nearly immune to magic. And it sucked in PVP. Don't think I won a won a single fight. I really hope FROM tweaks this shit. I would like to experiment with magic in this game too, but with Dexterity tied to casting speed and stamina being used to cast spells, it looks like they've made it borderline futile. You end up with a character who has 5 vital stats instead of the usual 3 or so, which makes things in nessecarily tough.

Are there any Crystal Soul Spear equivalents in the game -- a spell that's actually really devestating but way too resource intensive?

I've got the Soul Spear and i'm 3 or so levels from the Crystal Soul Spear. If i remember correctly i can fire off 4 or so Soul Spears currently with enough FP left for a smaller spell before needing to recharge. Not a fan of FP also, forces me to forego some estus flasks to recharge my magic while non magic builds have their full allotment. I massively preferred having a fixed number of casts, FP makes it pointless to give the opportunity to double up also.

I played through DS1 and DS2 with magic, DS3 is frustrating me more with magic that DS2 lol. DS2 had its moments but it never quite made me feel as useless like DS3 has at times lol. I considered going a melee build because i'd just finished Bloodborne and loved playing that but i decided to stay the magic path....... Sorcerer Rahl is working for that finish lol.

Sullichin

Dat lust for the platinum trophy..

Have you used hollow infused items yet?

It sounds like if you have a quality build and after maxing out str/dex soft caps, infusing with hollow instead of refined, and increasing luck would be an upgrade. Because it doesn't lower the str/dex scaling that much.

it's probably cause i'm incredibly tired but getting up to the ballista in
smouldering lake
is pretty damn frustrating. shotel skeletons really fuck with depth perception/the camera.

also, being at 14 vigor is starting to take its toll. might need to respec and rethink my approach. have just been leveling up without much crafting.

Demoskinos

Where the hell is Pat
ches? I talked to him after I got to the other side of the bridge after he tricks you and got the gesture from him and now I want to find him so I can get the armor from him to continue Siegward's side quest.

Where the hell is Pat
ches? I talked to him after I got to the other side of the bridge after he tricks you and got the gesture from him and now I want to find him so I can get the armor from him to continue Siegward's side quest.

Go back to
Firelink
and check upstairs.

Raw64life

Can't get a summon to work. At all. Never once throughout the whole game and now I need it
Nameless King is fucking terrible boss. Amazing idea, abysmal execution.

It's been very hit or miss for me. Usually goes.

1. Activate a summon, wait 5 seconds, unable to summon
2. Wait for more summons, active 2-3 more summons, it IMMEDIATELY tells me unable to summon
3. Wait for more summons, active 1 summon, wait 5-10 seconds, unable to summon
4. Wait a couple minutes, try to summons again, finally works

It's definitely frustrating.

Sullichin

it's probably cause i'm incredibly tired but getting up to the ballista in
smouldering lake
is pretty damn frustrating. shotel skeletons really fuck with depth perception/the camera.

also, being at 14 vigor is starting to take its toll. might need to respec and rethink my approach. have just been leveling up without much crafting.

You don't actually have to deal with that to be able to easily make it to the boss, but it takes one kind of suicide-prone run...

If you run straight to the boss from the lake, past the horrible snake creature. Turn to the right before the stairs and follow that path to a bonfire. Good spawn point for the boss. You can also continue past that bonfire to explore the underground area.

Maybe its because I'm playing on PC with 60fps, but DS3 seems so much more responsive than previous entries in the series.

I am currently streaming my play though here if anyone wants to stop by. Day 2, About 4 1/2 hours in. I'm having a TON of fun with it.

If this is not cool, let me know and I'll edit the post.

MortosDer

Neo Member
OK.
Old Demon...
Fuck you! Holy shit between this and the fucking
skeletons...
The game got way harder all of the sudden
(Till I found out about my fire halberd throwing those damn skulls to the ground with each hit. Which is funny since if I use my Great Axe they stagger at best :D)

UberLevi

Just beat the A
ncient
W
yvern
. A
rchdragon Peak
is a really visually impressive location. One of the highlights of the game in the art department, I think. It's a shame the enemy design isn't really great there. The rest of it is nice.

hughesta

Banned
Jesus christ FUCK
Nameless King.
can clear phase 1 without getting touched but can't even get 1/4 through Phase 2 before getting murked.

Had a really great moment just now, spoilers for one of the major NPC questlines:

I made it to the area in Anor Londo where I'm supposed to have the wedding ceremony. I get invaded. I start heading down the large hallway and get to my "bride" Right behind me I see the invader. They stop, and just start doing celebratory emotes. I take this as a sign and complete the ceremony. I celebrate with my invading friend and have a duel that ultimately win. Stuff like this makes me love this series to death.

Have you used hollow infused items yet?

It sounds like if you have a quality build and after maxing out str/dex soft caps, infusing with hollow instead of refined, and increasing luck would be an upgrade. Because it doesn't lower the str/dex scaling that much.

I have not but I will try that! Thanks!

OK.
Old Demon...
Fuck you! Holy shit between this and the fucking
skeletons...
The game got way harder all of the sudden
(Till I found out about my fire halberd throwing those damn skulls to the ground with each hit. Which is funny since if I use my Great Axe they stagger at best :D)

Can always use the almighty bow/arrow and fire resistant shield :p

Aeana

I beat the boss of the cathedral. At this point, I'm doing okay in general, but I find myself wishing I had gone a different direction with my build. I don't find the tanky kind of character fun. I found the respec NPC, so there's always that option, but it doesn't bring back what I've spent upgrading equipment. So now I'm debating whether or I should suck it up, maybe try a different weapon (tried using the frosty sword, Astor spear, claymore, estoc, and uchigatana for a while and none of them really clicked with me). Part of me just wants to go back to magic even though it's kinda not great in this game from what I've seen. Hmph.

Soulflarz

Banned
I beat the boss of the cathedral. At this point, I'm doing okay in general, but I find myself wishing I had gone a different direction with my build. I don't find the tanky kind of character fun. I found the respec NPC, so there's always that option, but it doesn't bring back what I've spent upgrading equipment. So now I'm debating whether or I should suck it up, maybe try a different weapon (tried using the frosty sword, Astor spear, claymore, estoc, and uchigatana for a while and none of them really clicked with me). Part of me just wants to go back to magic even though it's kinda not great in this game from what I've seen. Hmph.

Want a diff weapon to be upgraded to the same level of your current weapon? If you drop it, anyone can upgrade it for you to the max level you've currently made.

I have tons of shards/heavy shards, would + it for you if you want to respec.

send help (i
rityhll
d
ungeon
)

Run 20 feet in to the bonfire :p

pixxxelz

Yeah I totally missed
farron keep
.. I went straight to the
crystal sage
boss an then the cathedral, *sigh* I hate that swamp..

Lucario

So I'm level 31 and have no idea where I'm supposed to go.

My current paths lead to:

Old Demon King, who demolishes me and everyone I try to help with him

A huge evil-looking dog and a message saying I need a doll to proceed

What am I missing?

[

What am I missing?
Crab battle?
There is another path by the giant crabs

What am I missing?

Go back to
Road of Sacrifices
and instead of going down the ladder to
Farron Keep
look around for a castle-like area and
you should find a boss. You'll know you're close cause the enemies are spell casters

Soulflarz

Banned

What am I missing?

You need the s
mall doll
obtained from the
deacons of the deep
in the
cathedral of the deep

which is after a boss in the forest you may have missed :3

You don't actually have to deal with that to be able to easily make it to the boss, but it takes one kind of suicide-prone run...

If you run straight to the boss from the lake, past the horrible snake creature. Turn to the right before the stairs and follow that path to a bonfire. Good spawn point for the boss. You can also continue past that bonfire to explore the underground area.

Yeah...I went through the whole thing. kinda thought there'd be a nice reward up there. spent a lot of time trying to get there tonight. Fully explored the dungeon too, but hey, I got a few nice items out of it and I'm like 1/4 pyromancer so finding more pyro stuff is nice. also, RIP spider waifu from DS1 :(

Now that I've watched some streams that are around the same area I am with far less time on the clock and doing serious damage while having a bunch of health, I've decided to respec and make some better weapons at the start of my session tomorrow. I've apparently made things tough on myself.

I have the following bonfires in that area:

Catacombs of Carthus
Abandoned Tomb

Did I miss one? Guess I will go exploring!
Start from the first (I don't even have the second)

If you remember how to run to the
bridge
area from that first COC bonfire,
there is a door you can open that will let you run straight through from the rat room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom