• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
go back trust me you will want all the valuables to upgrade your gear

Is there a lot of titanite down there? I've got a bunch of Twinkling Titanite I haven't even used yet, but I could probably use some more large shards and scales if those are down there.

Also, can you upgrade your armor in this game, or did they do away with that?

Trying to get to the area below the bridge that breaks. Looked up a video on youtube but can't do it. I die of fall damage every time. Any way of doing it or am I just blocked off? I need the boss down there!

To be fair, the button prompt for that seems to be in a very small area. I died a couple times trying to get the prompt to appear.

Is there a lot of titanite down there? I've got a bunch of Twinkling Titanite I haven't even used yet, but I could probably use some more large shards and scales if those are down there.

I'll give you $3.50 for that twinkling titanite.

You can still upgrade armor AFAIK, but it's not really worth it.

There's really no reason not to take the 5 free levels from the NPC right?

You go hollow, but it's worth it IMO. There's a way to reverse it later, and his quest line is one of the best in the game.

Wagram

So I think I fucked up lol. There was a message that said "secret ahead" (location: I
rithyll
)
I hit the statue and it turned into a mage thing, but I accidentally hit attack twice and ended up killing him. He dropped the chameleon spell.
What did I just make myself miss out on?

Secret ending.

joesmokey

You should dump some points into vigor ASAP. If this is your first real crack at the series you chose a pretty tough road to go down with sticking to pyromancy. Do you have access to the NPC who sells sorceries? You have enough INT for magic weapon and 1 point off from great magic weapon which would both help you out a lot.
I have the Sorceries guy. I'm not sure if I should be mixing/matching with Pyro or go full Pyro. Guess it can't hurt to try.

Pyromancy hasn't been too bad so far. Just feels slow going in comparison to being sword/shield guy. This boss has apparently been my breaking point though.

Do we get 5 respec every NG or is it per character?

Daft Punk

Banned
Is there any way to respec your character? I picked Merc and have been pumping stats into STR, VIT, etc. and nothing into DEX yet since I heard DEX is a terrible stat. I have no clue what to do here haha. The previous games this seemed a lot easier, but now I'm just winging it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I have the Sorceries guy. I'm not sure if I should be mixing/matching with Pyro or go full Pyro. Guess it can't hurt to try.

Pyromancy hasn't been too bad so far. Just feels slow going in comparison to being sword/shield guy.

Do we get 5 respec every NG or is it per character?

You have the INT for it so there's no benefit in not taking advantage of it. Weapon buffs are godly in this series.

Tevren

Awww shiet, A
byss
W
atchers
down!! The adrealine is pumping! First challenging boss so far, but not unfair. Once you learn the timings, its a matter of countering with the Claymore beast stagger/stunlock. I probably could have used a bit more stamina though...

Just downed this as well. Really love this fight, That slow melancholy music, paired with the speed and aggressiveness of the boss just felt right.

Just downed this as well. Really love this fight, That slow melancholy music, paired with the speed and aggressiveness of the boss just felt right.

The second form wasn't that bad so long as you stay at a distance. The hardest part was finding an opening between all of that dodge-rolling I had to do.

Neoweee

Nice. (optional boss spoiler)
Nameless King
down on the first attempt. This was my second character, so it wasn't fully blind: I knew it was supposed to be hard so I equipped the damage reduction and lightning resist rings. The boss just kind of flails around during Phase 1 kind of annoyingly. Kind of hard to hit whatever I needed to hit.

So with a STR build, what's the best direction to take the Dark Sword in? Also, what's a good end game one had shield? Thinking about spending my TT on Dragon Crest.

There's a bunch of good shields. It all depends on what Vit you have and weight capacity.

In the medium, regular-shield range, there's the 3 or 4 "Crest" shields with 100% physical and high resistance of a single element, or the Shield of Want, which is 100% and high stability. Great Shields really depend on your weight, and what type of trade off you want between raw damage reduction from your weight vs the quality of the shield. Mix and match to 69%.

I... I might prefer just getting them through enemy farming.

Or, y'know, not at all
Personal experience with 43 luck, a mimic chest head, rusted coin and the ring. So overall having my item discovery at about ~320 and those
silver Knights are rarely dropping covenant items.

Korosenai

Beating the Dancer after dying to her so many times was so satisfying. Such a beautiful boss also, one of my favorite boss designs yet in the souls series.

ugoo18

Soooo.... Anyone here playing a pure Sorcery or Faith build? I don't mean Faith or Sorcery as a supporting part of your character, but rather the focus. Be really interesting to hear about your experiences with the game, I'd imagine it's much, much harder than the rest of us.

I'm playing as a sorcerer and it's a slog, only very recently does it even feel like i can do anything kind of decent to enemies without burning through my FP
(Just beat Oceiros, the Consumed)
. Barring the tutorial and 2nd real boss i don't think i've faced a boss where i didn't run of magic completely and have to finish it with melee. Heck a decent amount of the bosses so far only go down to half health at best with me draining all my Ashen flasks in the process. Also doesn't help when they are highly resistant to magic, nearly
1/5th
of the bosses are resistant to magic.

In addition to that the more is better approach this game takes to enemies is a serious pain for me as a sorcerer, i straight gave up fighting and being methodical from
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
on wards in favour of mainly just sprinting for items and sprinting past everything because what's the point. The careful slow approach literally burns through all my FP resources and is liable to get me killed actually with how aggressive enemies are in this and how much stamina your spells use. I've seriously considerered respecing at least 3 times so far because it basically feels like i'm being punished at times for choosing to play as a sorcerer.

Doesn't help that some bosses have gank squads of minions around getting in the way or basically
entirely new phases with full health
again.

Its become a bit more manageable because i basically stopped for some time to infuse, reinforce etc gear to make myself a hybrid because getting through this on purely spells alone is hell.

I have no idea what's going on with majority of the NPC sidequests. I've just been playing through the game since nothing has really come up beyond "bring me X" requests, but browsing this thread I've apparently already missed out on stuff. Whatever lol. Trying to stay as blind as possible for the first playthrough, if special endings require a bunch of obscure shit then whatever, I'll mess with it on subsequent playthroughs

Sorceries guy vanished for no reason.
He kept talking about his ominous "promise keeping" bullshit from the get go, so I can only assume he's just gonna show up to sorcerer the fuck out of me when I least expect it. Whatever

Only NPC stuff I've really done is the first couple of steps with S
eigward
. Killed the
fire monster

Zocano

Personal experience with 43 luck, a mimic chest head, rusted coin and the ring. So overall having my item discovery at about ~320 and those
silver Knights are rarely dropping covenant items.

I...

You underestimate my patience. I'd rather get 100 Pure bladestones over this shit.

I have looked at that stuff and I just said to myself I will never platinum this game.

Never liked Souls PvP. Dont want to spend hours hating myself grinding in it.

Yah, Souls PvP has been super hit or miss for me. Like, in concept, it should be pretty awesome; but a combination of shit-tier lag and ganksquads and boring min-max'd builds just makes everything a slog.

dlauv

Pvp is kind of fun. I spent a couple of hours this morning getting 30 pale tongues. Some of these people do the weirdest stuff, like making a fighting arena out of glow stones and presiding like a Caesar.

Although I did just out-dumb everyone with r1 and a boss weapon's poise frames.

Sullichin

Fellow dark sword users, what are some good use cases for the Stomp weapon art? I use it to tank some regular enemy attacks and then hit with a heavy, but it doesn't seem that useful there.

In PVP I feel like it's more useful, but it's really situational and I feel like I'm trying to use it more than I should for the hell of it. I'm thinking of using shield of want (100% phys def medium shield but with no parry; lets you use your weapon art instead) to trick people with a fast 1H-2H transition...

It took New Game+ but I can finally wield this sword and wear nice armor without fat rolling. <3
CgN3KWzUUAA0jO_.jpg:large

Been using that Deep Battle Axe for too long now and want to try something new but nothing that I've found seems as good. That low requirements have made it so I've focused on leveling other things so can't even see how good other things with scalling's damage would be without an investment.

TheFlow

Banned

haven't bothered to upgrade my armor so I am not sure.

You can get about 4 large titanite shards and 2 twinkling just by roaming around the area we are talking abuot.

I...

You underestimate my patience. I'd rather get 100 Pure bladestones over this shit.

Yah, Souls PvP has been super hit or miss for me. Like, in concept, it should be pretty awesome; but a combination of shit-tier lag and ganksquads and boring min-max'd builds just makes everything a slog.

The PvE drops for the Wolf&#8217;s Blood Swordgrass is "better" compare to the Proof of a Concord drop rates. But its still pretty low drop rate.

Of course its been awhile since I had time to grind for drop rates due to rl things and playing the pc version. But I feel like it was about 1-2 Proof of a Concord per hour(?). All I know I finish the game around ~45 hours. And on my Japaneses save file it is currently at ~70 hours with 9 Proof of a Concord and 11 Wolf&#8217;s Blood Swordgrass.

WHAT DO YOU NEED 43 LUCK FOR X_X
To increase the Covenant material drop rates from enemies since I never get summon as a Darkmoon, Blue Sentient or Watchdog T_T

Sullichin

It took New Game+ but I can finally wield this sword and wear nice armor without fat rolling. <3
Your STR is increased to 1.5x when you two hand a weapon, so the requirement isn't 50STR to two hand that, which is where it's far more useful. I only mention this because you said it took till NG+. But you could have been talking about leveling your VIT.

Soulflarz

Banned

I want to stay on my default NG until the DLC...but yeah

I really want to not care about my level for my plat and just start pumping all the points in, since havels armor non fatroll would be hilarious

is a there a reroll stats item in this game?

No

there are 5

(not actually a spoiler)

hughesta

Banned
Can't get a summon to work. At all. Never once throughout the whole game and now I need it
Nameless King is fucking terrible boss. Amazing idea, abysmal execution.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm playing as a sorcerer and it's a slog, only very recently does it even feel like i can do anything kind of decent to enemies without burning through my FP
(Just beat Oceiros, the Consumed)
. Barring the tutorial and 2nd real boss i don't think i've faced a boss where i didn't run of magic completely and have to finish it with melee. Heck a decent amount of the bosses so far only go down to half health at best with me draining all my Ashen flasks in the process. Also doesn't help when they are highly resistant to magic, nearly
1/5th
of the bosses are resistant to magic.

In addition to that the more is better approach this game takes to enemies is a serious pain for me as a sorcerer, i straight gave up fighting and being methodical from
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
on wards in favour of mainly just sprinting for items and sprinting past everything because what's the point. The careful slow approach literally burns through all my FP resources and is liable to get me killed actually with how aggressive enemies are in this and how much stamina your spells use. I've seriously considerered respecing at least 3 times so far because it basically feels like i'm being punished at times for choosing to play as a sorcerer.

Doesn't help that some bosses have gank squads of minions around getting in the way or basically
entirely new phases with full health
again.

Its become a bit more manageable because i basically stopped for some time to infuse, reinforce etc gear to make myself a hybrid because getting through this on purely spells alone is hell.

Jesus, sounds utterly brutal. I imagined a scenario like that, but it's worse to hear about it firsthand. I've always played melee but went full-magic in DS2 and wound up being pretty frustrated much of the time, especially running into bosses who were nearly immune to magic. And it sucked in PVP. Don't think I won a single fight. I really hope FROM tweaks this shit. I would like to experiment with magic in this game too, but with Dexterity tied to casting speed and stamina being used to cast spells, it looks like they've made it borderline futile. You end up with a character who has 5 vital stats instead of the usual 3 or so, which makes things unnessecarily tough.

Are there any Crystal Soul Spear equivalents in the game -- a spell that's actually really devestating but way too resource intensive?

We could all try the password system, or barring that a secluded area, and use the red soapstone to give each other kills for vertebraes and tongues. That's what I'm going to try at least.

How high did you have to get your vitality to manage that?

Got VIT to 30. My weight is at 69.9%. TOO GOOD.

Your STR is increased to 1.5x when you two hand a weapon, so the requirement isn't 50STR to two hand that, which is where it's far more useful. I only mention this because you said it took till NG+. But you could have been talking about leveling your VIT.

Yeah I was talking about VIT. I have STR at 45 (increased to 50 via the Knight's Ring)

Soulflarz

Banned
We could all try the password system, or barring that a secluded area, and use the red soapstone to give each other kills for vertebraes and tongues. That's what I'm going to try at least.

I used 'waifus' to play co-op with queen of hunting
we got invaded still

...is....
is waifus common?

Or is it solely a password for coop restrictions?

Sullichin

Got VIT to 30. My weight is at 69.9%. TOO GOOD.

Yeah I was talking about VIT. I have STR at 45 (increased to 50 via the Knight's Ring)

Love that 69.9%!
30 VIT sounds really nice. I'm so reluctant to ever increase it because you can stay under 70% and be fine but it's annoying that I can't always use the armor I want.

Yeah that's the only way to cheese those covenants and only those covenants. You can't trade covenant materials nor spells as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom