• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzi

Location spoilers ahead:
I kind of feel that
Straight up going to Anor Londo is kind of lazy. I felt like they reused ideas before I got there, this isn't really doing anything to change my feelings.I wanted new areas, not remixes of a game I played in 2011.

pa22word

The one in the lake that has that room filled with all the long-haired centipede men?
I've already fought P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
idk what I'm supposed to do next.

Uh, did you trek through the valley of amazing chests and clearly-been-to-the-gym-lately knights?

If not then you need to go back to the area directly after PS and explore some more.

Soulflarz

Banned
so
I have a +9 estus
I've checked every bone location twice

can the one in the catacombs disappear if you don't pick it up maybe? I have no idea why I only have 9.

Styles

Damn steam has DS3 at 605,871 ± 18,622 already. Pretty good considering console sales will be healthy.

So is it fair to conclude that(excluding Japan) the game has sold well over the million mark in under week?

It is amazing to see how the franchise has exploded since the Demon's Souls days.

Loves it.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This
King of Storm
fight is really pushing the limits of their camera system.
Yes, yes it is. I came in here and complained about the camera on that fight and people didn't seem to agree, but to me but it's truly wretched. No excuse for how bad it is, really.

Wagram

So is it fair to conclude that the game has sold over the million mark in under week?

It is amazing to see how the franchise has exploded since the Demon's Souls days.

Loves it.

Easily over 1m. I wouldn't be shocked if it's approaching 2m or over.

Yes, yes it is. I came in here and complained about the camera on that fight and people didn't seem to agree, but to me but it's truly wretched. No excuse for how bad it is, really.

You really have to play by its rules because locking on is complete bullshit in that fight
during the first phase
Basically don't use it until
the dragon lands or when it's doing the flying routine while NK throws the Zeus bolts.
Outside of that use free cam.

Um GAF did i get fucked? i beat A
ldritch
but we basically double killed each other. a cutscene played something about
prince lothric
and im sure it took me to another place but i immediately died after the cutscene played and woke up back at my last bonfire.

So question is did i lock myself out of something or am i fine?

KHlover

Banned
So I juuuuust got to the
Profaned Capital
and immediately could fight against
Yohm
? Okay then.

Time to explore the area more throughly now, that CAN'T have been it :S

co1onel

Um GAF did i get fucked? i beat A
ldritch
but we basically double killed each other. a cutscene played something about
prince lothric
and im sure it took me to another place but i immediately died after the cutscene played and woke up back at my last bonfire.

So question is did i lock myself out of something or am i fine?

You're fine. Spoiler about where it warped you to:
It warped you to the cathedral right next to the Voldt boss fight. try going back there.

Spoo

So I juuuuust got to the
Profaned Capital
and immediately could fight against
Yohm
? Okay then.

Time to explore the area more throughly now, that CAN'T have been it :S

It's not. I guess the most obvious way simply wasn't obvious to me, and I ended up exploring the entire area before I got to the boss.

---

As for myself, I am now at the last two bosses
the archdragon area boss, and the final boss which I haven't attempted
. Will I roll right into NG+ if I finish the last boss now? I'd rather not, since I have friends that need a lot of hand-holding through the game.

As a huge Bloodborne fan, and distinctly *not* a Dark Souls fan (I liked DS2, but none of the other Souls games), I will say that Dark Souls III is the most fun I've had with a Souls game, and comes in just under Bloodborne for me (there are higher highs in DS3, but also lower lows imho). Primarily, I've only been disappointed in some of the bosses --
bosses with "mechanics" that trivialize the encounters, such as Yhom, and the Tree boss (name escapes me), and the Witch are just kind of sad. These are encounters that could be a lot better from being straight up encounters with no short-circuiting.
That said, this game has bar-none the coolest boss encounters I've seen from From, and at least 2 of the areas are more awe-inspiring than anything I've seen previously from From.
Boreal valley is jaw-dropping, and that worm man... that worm.

It's very clear that Dark Souls III has benefited greatly from looking to BB for inspiration; it's a darker game than I was expecting, and the flexibility in builds has allowed me to go for a very "fast" knight build which felt very natural to me. I understand that some BB players won't take to DS3, but this player sure did.

I don't know or understand the significance of a lot of the lore in the game, so much of it is lost on me from not having enjoyed (and played to completion) Dark Souls 1. But regardless of my ignorance, the game is still quite beautiful and I can't imagine anyone who enjoyed the previous games to feel as if DS3 doesn't complete the series in a satisfying way.

goblin

As for myself, I am now at the last two bosses
the archdragon area boss, and the final boss which I haven't attempted
. Will I roll right into NG+ if I finish the last boss now? I'd rather not, since I have friends that need a lot of hand-holding through the game.

You can choose to defer going into NG+ after beating the game, so you're good.

Catvoca

Banned
Location spoilers ahead:
I kind of feel that
Straight up going to Anor Londo is kind of lazy. I felt like they reused ideas before I got there, this isn't really doing anything to change my feelings.I wanted new areas, not remixes of a game I played in 2011.

Agreed. I don't know if you've been to
Ithryll Dungeon
yet, it's in the same part of the game you are, and that area is heavily inspired by an old area but not nearly as good as the original, and between that, the place you mentioned, and a certain encounter
in ithryll where guys shoot spears at you on a narrow beam
it's to the point where I'm like "why are you reusing these old ideas instead of making something new?".

Wagram

I have to admit I was slightly disappointed that there aren't any trap chests outside of mimics. Where are the poison chests or explosions?

Baliis

Anyone know if I need to do anything else after I let S
iegward
out of his cell in
Profane Capital
? I can't get him to
join me during the boss fight

Mimic bonfires ):

It's quite good and getting it to +2 early is a pretty decent way to get a bit ahead of the curve. Plus it's longer.

plz no. That would be the worst troll! Think about it..you are exploring, lost, with no Estus and 20k souls or something. You suddenly see a bonfire and you get the feeling of relieve...But NOPE! Its a mother fucking mimic bonfire D:

YOU DIED

There are a few things that have been consistant in all these games that i personally dont undetstand how they never got fixed.

The main ones for me are

- the camera. So many boss fights can have the camera go mental on you and fuck you over. Or unlock because reasons.

- covenant's that tell you nothing at all before you join despite it having effects on side quests if you do. (At least bloodborne had the people say something to you first about what they are).

- the buffering of moves that you press just as you get hit / block. Your punishment for dodging a fraction of a second too late should be getting hit, not getting hit then rolling as soon as you recover. Its annoying as hell.

They have fixed so many other things in these games over time but i have no idea why those things are still in it.

Anyway i got up to
dancer now. Yesterday i got to pontif. Died 5 times thinking (oh great another boss they dont know how to make hard to they add a duplicate. Logged off. Came back that evening and took him dowm first go. Strange hoe often that works. Then double KO'd on aldrich and as i had killed yorm already had to look up what was meant to happen lol.

Anyway then i got to anor londo. It looks great but in a game that feels super familiar anyway its not doing much for me. So far the only wow moments i have had were a couple of beautify views and arriving a boreal vally or what ever its called (snowy place). That looked stunning. Then you fight that dogodile... Ugh.

I dont really know what's making me feel down on this game really. Its a very good souls game. It just doesn't have that feel of when i played the original or bloodborne. I guess because it just doesnt really feel new anymore.

It's quite good and getting it to +2 early is a pretty decent way to get a bit ahead of the curve. Plus it's longer.

Where can I get more Twinkling Titanite early on? I have 1 so far and can probably get another. I'm still at the
Undead Settlement
, but I can finish up and head to
Road of Sacrifices.

Zocano

plz no. That would be the worst troll! Think about it..you are exploring, lost, with no Estus and 20k souls or something. You suddenly see a bonfire and you get the feeling of relieve...But NOPE! Its a mother fucking mimic bonfire D:

YOU DIED

Exactly. That'd be the most glorious thing ever.

Mandelbo

Mimic bonfires ):

That could've been really cool, so long as killing the mimic bonfire rewarded you with a real bonfire afterwards :p
I did feel there were far too many mimics in the game though. It seemed more likely to come across a mimic than a normal chest, which basically removed the surprise of getting caught out by them.

Eumi

Location spoilers ahead:
I kind of feel that

I dunno, it's literally
just a corridor, and it's worth it when you realise that Aldrich is just a God fanboy who takes his role playing way too far.

At least that's my personal canon. You can't convince me I'm wrong.

Zocano

Where can I get more Twinkling Titanite early on? I have 1 so far and can probably get another. I'm still at the
Undead Settlement
, but I can finish up and head to
Road of Sacrifices.

There are 2 you can get further down the road. It's not too difficult and actually getting to lizards isn't all that bad either.
If you hit poison you went the wrong way.

Brakke

Banned
I dunno, it's literally
just a corridor, and it's worth it when you realise that Aldrich is just a God fanboy who takes his role playing way too far.

At least that's my personal canon. You can't convince me I'm wrong.

Yeah I loved it. Getting over the hump of almost-connecting the games into straight-up connecting games felt like such a relief after all this time.

It was like killing a tough boss. If I keep trying and stretching to make it happen, then finally getting my hands on it feels great.

Zocano

That could've been really cool, so long as killing the mimic bonfire rewarded you with a real bonfire afterwards :p
I did feel there were far too many mimics in the game though. It seemed more likely to come across a mimic than a normal chest, which basically removed the surprise of getting caught out by them.

Mimic ladders

Menome

I'm roleplaying a Dark-leaning character by doing the
Yuria of Londor
questline, using Dark Hand and I've also been a bad person and done the Dark route for
Irina & Eygon

I picked up a Deep Gem and was wondering if there's any benefit to infusing it? Are there many enemies that are actually weak to Dark damage?

myco666

All these Deacon Robes and Skirts in my inventory and barely any Human Dregs. Neat. Also does no one play at this time of day? Got only one invasion in two hours.

Menome

All these Deacon Robes and Skirts in my inventory and barely any Human Dregs. Neat. Also does no one play at this time of day? Got only one invasion in two hours.

Sunday morning for Europe, middle of the night for the U.S. It's probably the quietest time of the week. Heck, I'm still in bed trying to will myself into making breakfast.

Baliis

Are you being invaded or doing the invading? I don't think I waited longer than 5 seconds earlier when I was invading people. Though I did have someone use that prayer or whatever it was that
turns mobs against invaders.
Had all the
deacons on the walkway above, both NPCs that are there, and one of the giants all turn on me at the same time and just destroy me, was a good laugh.

I find it fairly rare to actually get invaded myself though, only 2-3 times the whole game so far? And I'm almost always cindered.

Zocano

I'm roleplaying a Dark-leaning character by doing the
Yuria of Londor
questline, using Dark Hand and I've also been a bad person and done the Dark route for
Irina & Eygon

I picked up a Deep Gem and was wondering if there's any benefit to infusing it? Are there many enemies that are actually weak to Dark damage?

A particular optional boss, yes. Not too sure on others.

myco666

getting instant invasions in catacombs sl 60 +3

I am seriously starting to think I am overleveled for doing invasions at sl100.

Sunday morning for Europe, middle of the night for the U.S. It's probably the quietest time of the week. Heck, I'm still in bed trying to will myself into making breakfast.

People are weak. They should be playing this 24/7.

Are you being invaded or doing the invading? I don't think I waited longer than 5 seconds earlier when I was invading people. Though I did have someone use that prayer or whatever it was that
turns mobs against invaders.
Had all the
deacons on the walkway above, both NPCs that are there, and one of the giants all turn on me at the same time and just destroy me, was a good laugh.

I find it fairly rare to actually get invaded myself though, only 2-3 times the whole game so far? And I'm almost always cindered.

Doing invasions. Takes super long to connect for me.

Kurtofan

Yeah so I beat
Aldrich
I was then transported to a place
with another boss, where I promptly homeward boned the hell out of
How do I get back there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom