• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
In debate with myself right now in my current build for my second run of the game.

Making a Dex/Int battlemage build, with Uchigatana as my melee weapon of choice - But as of this moment I'm lost in thought of whether or not to spec it Raw (Or an int scaling gem if I find the coal) so I can spend the points I'd other use on Dex boosting up my Int and Attunement stats - Or to go with Sharp and keep leveling Dex to eventually replace the Uchi with the Chaos Blade at the cost of much slower progression across my stats.

Any input from you folk? I know I can respec myself and my weapons if need be, but I'd like to make the most of this run.

Ogawa-san

So for my first play through I decided to do a blind SL1 challenge. Here is the highlights, mostly bosses. Obviously do not click this link if you don't want to be spoiled, as it shows all the mandatory bosses in the game.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gkav5OWKIM&feature=youtu.be

Typically the harder the boss, the more deaths I show, so the video ends up being pretty long. Use the description time stamps if you want to skip around.
That was entertaining, especially
the conga line in catacombs with every enemy type in the game following you
. I feel bosses must've been the easiest part of it - not easy, easier. Dealing with knights of any type must've been hell.

What's the armor you're using here? I know I had it in DS2.

sappyday

After seeing some posts about A
byss Watchers
with even a gaffer apparently quitting on the game despite platinuming Bloodborne, I was expecting something a lot worse, but he's a Bloodborne boss and I beat him after my second try. Stupid tree is harder.

burgerdog

Holy shiiiiit, I just had a 7 player battle in the Valley. I'm fucking pissed that nvidia experience crashes after a while and I couldn't record it. Might have been more than 7, it was just epic!

It was me against three dudes. I killed one and then the host summoned another phantom and a mad one joined as well. Another player died and a blue sentinel stepped in. Another dude dies and it becomes an epic 2 on 2 until it's just me and the host and then he freaking summons again :lol I felt fucked at that point but then an invader joins in and we kill both of them. That is by far the best moment I've ever had on any of these games and I've played them all.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
byss Watchers
with even a gaffer apparently quitting on the game despite platinuming Bloodborne, I was expecting something a lot worse, but he's a Bloodborne boss and I beat him after my second try. Stupid tree is harder.

Yup. That boss is super fun IMO. Maria 2.0

Trojan

So are people feeling like it's worth investing in weapon upgrades that have scaling for both strength and dex? Or just one or the other? I know the answer depends on how many points you have in each stat, but I'm wondering if there's a higher ceiling for one type vs the other in late game.

I just infused my Uganaki (sp?) with a refined gem that has it at C scaling for both strength and dex now. Trying to figure out if that was the right move. I'm rocking that and the Deep battle axe right now in the early game.

KHlover

Banned
My highest stat is Faith at 28, nothing else comes close. Yet I'm not using *anything* that uses faith. Like I feel like I'm halfway through the game and there isn't a single thing faith is good for.

Saint Bident is a weapon that scales with faith. Otherwise...use wonders or pyromancy, I guess? Later in the game you can also infuse your weapons with

- Blessed Gem (after you find
Sage's Coal in Farron Woods
)
- Dark Gem (actually can use that one from the beginning of the game)
- Lightning Gem
(after finding Giant's Coal in Anor Londo)
- Chaos Gem (Same as Lightning Gem)

Which all scale of FTH alone or FTH+INT.

So for my first play through I decided to do a blind SL1 challenge. Here is the highlights, mostly bosses. Obviously do not click this link if you don't want to be spoiled, as it shows all the mandatory bosses in the game.

Typically the harder the boss, the more deaths I show, so the video ends up being pretty long. Use the description time stamps if you want to skip around.

I cannot even begin to fathom how you pull that off. Amazing work.

That was entertaining, especially
the conga line in catacombs with every enemy type in the game following you
. I feel bosses must've been the easiest part of it - not easy, easier. Dealing with knights of any type must've been hell.

What's the armor you're using here? I know I had it in DS2.

That's the
Jailer Robe, with Undead Legion helm and the rest is Fallen Knight
if I remember right. Was using anything that gave good fire resist. Also, it was shortly after the
catacombs
that I gave up any real attempts at clearing the levels and just ran. When you're just trying to run to the next check point they are a lot easier, still challenging, but nothing crazy. But that does end up making things way tougher when your not getting all the potential items your supposed to have, making the bosses even harder.

Nice! I am thinking about doing a soul level 1 run whenever I have time...which is sparse currently ;_;

co1onel

I think I found a way to farm unlimited titanite shards in the catacombs. Requires a bow class.

when you start at the second bonfire and go down the stairs where the rolling skeleton ball is. The door next to the giant rat has bars at the end that show the bridge area. You can shoot that huge sword asshole with an arrow and he gets aggroed and runs at you, then it takes 10 arrows or so to down him while he is flailing in front of the bars and you can pick up his drop from where you are without having to go there. I farmed like 10 TS's like this in thirty minutes from him. He was dropping a TS every time he died.

If you're at the c
atacombs
then you're already past the area where you can get the item to buy shards for a mere 400 souls.

Tidalwave

byss Watchers
Bosses that can be backstabbed shouldn't exist.

Hikami

NPC spoilers for (Y
uria
)

Killed her for her armor. Not doing that specific ending this playthough anyways. I love her helmet especially, reminds me of Ciaran's helmet from Dark Souls 1. Except it looks way better without that silly pointy part at the top. Yuria's weapons kinda suck though..

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
No way. Nothing tops that fight.

I never stated that it tops the Maria fight. Just something similar :)

Maria fights her battles on her own.

giphy.gif

Any good STR/FTH builds out there?

My char in DS1 was a pyro, in DS2 almost a pure caster (INT/FTH combined) but I'd like to go for a "paladin" type build in DS3, a melee focused character but who can cast a Great Lightning Spear (shout out to my Sunbros!).

Currently rockin' Astora Straight Sword +3 and have just finished U
ndead
S
ettlement
and entered the R
oad
of S
acrifices

Rocwell

Just beat my second lord of cinder Y
horm the Giant
and I'm not sure how to proceed. Anyone have an idea of what I need to do next or what I'm missing?

pa22word

But I can't be constantly adjusting the camera and rolling at the same time. :(

Sure you can! Takes a little bit of practice, but the first phase all has super telegraphed attacks that give you more than enough time to move your thumb over a bit.

Just beat my second lord of cinder Y
horm the Giant
and I'm not sure how to proceed. Anyone have an idea of what I need to do next or what I'm missing?

Go back to the dungeon bonfire, go backwards out to the gutter area. Hug right and you'll find a sewer opening.

Soulflarz

Banned
So how do you get to two items on a ledge in F
arron
K
eep
by the wall that look like you have to go through a hole in the wall and drop down to get?

I never stated that it tops the Maria fight. Just something similar :)

Maria fights her battles on her own.

giphy.gif

Yeah, it's very similar, but I didn't have as much fun. I just stood in the back and watched
them kill each other. Hit the boss a couple of times, but the red eyed one did most of the work lol. I was surprised.
Now I've made it to
Pontif Sulyvan, and HE doesn't fuck around lol.
I'm actually having a tough time with most of the enemies in this area.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Man do I ever hate the
Farron Keep

It's not so much all the
poison
, I just have no idea where to go and it's such a slog to navigate. I've only managed to
light one of the fires
and I've been wandering around for ages.

Boooo!!!

So how do you get to two items on a ledge in F
arron
K
eep
by the wall that look like you have to go through a hole in the wall and drop down to get?

I would also like to know this.

pa22word

Man do I ever hate the
Farron Keep

It's not so much all the
poison
, I just have no idea where to go and it's such a slog to navigate. I've only managed to
light one of the fires

Boooo!!!

I would also like to know this.

1. In the tower go outside and you can see where the remaining flames are. You can also see them from about 4-5 places in the game from afar too, but I doubt you'd want to make such a trek lol

2. start hitting walls ;P

Mandelbo

Man do I ever hate the
Farron Keep

It's not so much all the
poison
light one of the fires

Boooo!!!

There's a fairly obvious ladder at one point in the level that goes up to another bonfire, but it also allows you to get above the trees, get your bearings and see
what direction the fires are in.

Hale_C

Ugh. Aldrich is a terribly designed boss fight.
It's SO BAD.

A tip:
The arrows are fucking horrible, so never let him fire them. In the second phase, every time he's about to go into the ground to respawn in anther location, run straight to the middle of the room. When he spawns run right up to him immediately. This should usually mean he doesn't fire the arrows. It's actually a very easy boss when you stop him from using those attacks.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
1. In the tower go outside and you can see where the remaining flames are. You can also see them from about 4-5 places in the game from afar too, but I doubt you'd want to make such a trek lol

2. start hitting walls ;P

Hitting walls eh...

There's a fairly obvious ladder at one point in the level that goes up to another bonfire, but it also allows you to get above the trees, get your bearings and see
what direction the fires are in.

Hmmm ok. I'm at the Keep Ruins bonfire now, haven't seen a ladder yet.

edit: HA like two seconds after typing that I found it by chance. Crazy!

Rizzi

A tip:
The arrows are fucking horrible, so never let him fire them. In the second phase, every time he's about to go into the ground to respawn in anther location, run straight to the middle of the room. When he spawns run right up to him immediately. This should usually mean he doesn't fire the arrows. It's actually a very easy boss when you stop him from using those attacks.

I already beat him. It's just a terrible boss fight.

pa22word

Ugh. Aldrich is a terribly designed boss fight.
It's SO BAD.

For arrows just run in zigzags around the cylinders in the room. Make sure you keep your eye on him though, because he likes to throw a few bombs at you near the tail end of the attack.

Demoskinos

Went and did other stuff and now back to being stuck on A
byss
W
atchers
. Fuuuuuck. I'm just a squishy mage and I've put no points into HP at all so I can just get OHKO quite easily. =\

Rocwell

Go back to the dungeon bonfire, go backwards out to the gutter area. Hug right and you'll find a sewer opening.
The one in the lake that has that room filled with all the long-haired centipede men?
I've already fought P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
idk what I'm supposed to do next.

Sure you can! Takes a little bit of practice, but the first phase all has super telegraphed attacks that give you more than enough time to move your thumb over a bit.

No seriously, the time it takes me to move my thumb from adjusting the camera to rolling is enough time to get fucked up every time.

I know it's a pain to get used to, but it's better than the camera jolting around, getting too close to the boss and disorientating you all at once!

I don't even mind that. I just wish the camera would *stay* locked on, it keeps de-locking at seemingly random points.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Hmm, I think rocking a weapon that only goes to +5 kinda breaks the pvp weapon upgrade matching.

Using a +3 chaos blade and doing a good deal more damage then other players can and still getting invasions at sl60 catacombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom