• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Fucking this. so. fucking. much. Like, what the hell? I'm a guy who likes ultra big swords and used them exclusively in DS1. To a great effect even. Can't use them late game which bums me out. The problem is that they don't really stagger anything that needs staggering. Normal enemies to bosses just poise tank through the heavies R2 Zweihander slam. I don't need to stunlock enemies to oblivion but it just isn't worth committing to attacking with one when you're going to be taking damage yourself because the swings are so slow and if an enemy starts an attack animation after you many times it won't get interrupted. So alas, I have had to resort to my trusty Ilithyrr straight sword which boring as fuck. I wanna play while looking boss. But the bosses and the more challenging enemies are exponentially more easy with the straightsword.

Okay, so it's not just me then?

I wasn't sure because this is my first souls game. I played bloodborne, but I used a skill build there. I assumed that this was just the price for using something as stupidly powerful as the Greatsword.

Plum

Fucking this. so. fucking. much. Like, what the hell? I'm a guy who likes ultra big swords and used them exclusively in DS1. To a great effect even. Can't use them late game which bums me out. The problem is that they don't really stagger anything that needs staggering. Normal enemies to bosses just poise tank through the heavies R2 Zweihander slam. I don't need to stunlock enemies to oblivion but it just isn't worth committing to attacking with one when you're going to be taking damage yourself because the swings are so slow and if an enemy starts an attack animation after you many times it won't get interrupted. So alas, I have had to resort to my trusty Ilithyrr straight sword which boring as fuck. I wanna play while looking boss. But the bosses and the more challenging enemies are exponentially more easy with the straightsword.

With the bigger regular enemies the cooldown from ANY attack with my greatsword meant that I'd just get hit. It was an exercise of either running past them or hit-get hit-repeat.

I think that From made the enemies a bit too "Bloodborne" which kind of made anyone not playing a Bloodborne-esque DEX build have a much more difficult time.

Puppen

Banned

Yeah this is me. I want to look cool, and straight swords look puny. I love the look of the Wolf Greatsword but its god damn useless late game PvE.

myco666

I have been getting constant invasions on PS4 and PC. My PS4 character is level 34 and my PC character is level 90.

Hmmm... so I should be getting invasions even at lvl100? I've been waiting for very long periods with nothing happening. Red orbs work fine though.

I think I found the biggest problem I have with the game.

It punishes you for using the bigger weapons. Like, it's seriously impossible to even use these bigger weapons on some enemies. When I play these games I want to be able to stick with ONE weapon, and upgrade that one weapon. I had no clue which weapon I wanted to run with at all. So I saved up for the
Wolf Knight Greatsword
but it's way to slow and I can't hit. So I had to go with the
Dark Sword
which is pretty damn great.

I feel as if some of the enemies should be a bit slower with the amount of weapons that are at our disposal. There are SOOOOOO many but I feel the game ditracts from that positive.

The biggest thing that I feel they took from Bloodborne that simply doesn't work with this game.

I'm thinking I might respec into this. What are the weapons to go with for that build?

You can start off at the beginning of the game with the Astora Straight Sword. It requires a few points into Faith but it has a great move set and hits like a truck with a Raw gem thrown onto it. That's currently what speed runners use and just melt bosses while pumping all their levels into Health and Stamina. Just make sure to apply some resin which is part of the reason fast weapons excel. I'm sure you could look up which element is best for each boss if you wanted to min/max (but it shouldn't be necessary. Fire does the trick on most of them). Also it looks like you can stagger bosses much more often/easier/faster than Heavy weapons.

Mid/late game for normal players; Just use anything with a move set you find enjoyable. A lot of DEX weapons are fantastic! I've been testing a bunch but I lack the upgrade materials (like most people). I've even had more success with some Spears than I have Great Swords/STR heavy weapons in general.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Considering doing a faith build on my NG+. I'm Soul Level 127 currently as a Knight and I'm a heavy-armor wearing DPS monster
Using Havel's Greatshield +5 and Lorians Greatsword +5
. Any tips for which spells I should focus on, and also any stat advice? Or should I just forget it and crush NG+ with my rediculous character?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I am just melting through the game with a STR build, focusing on a Heavy Great Club, instant staggers most enemies, tons of damage, and doesn't weigh an insane amount either. I did the same thing in Dark Souls 2, paired it with an Estoc in that game, those two weapons beat up pretty much every boss.

Maybe it will be easier with Dex, but so far running around with a Great Club seems pretty damn viable to me.
Of all my builds, the STR is a cakewalk.

DEX is med difficulty (probably cause I decided on no shield, mostly naked, with daggers and whips for whatever reason lol)

Caster is hard mode.

Yeah I REALLY can't get into the Greatsword this time around. I enforced it to +5 and put a Heavy infusion on it since I'm pure Strength, but it still can't compete with the Greataxe (which is also Heavy +5). The moveset is slower and less reliable, and the damage can't hold a candle to the axe.

That said I am HUGELY enjoying the axe. Going full Deprived (only loincloth) and limiting myself to Greataxe only has been so much fun, and with enough points in Strength it's quite rare for any enemy to survive two hits from this thing.
What's really crazy is that most mobs die VERY quickly (2-3 hits) to my Broadsword +6.I really wanted to use the Zwei but it's just not viable. It's sad this tiny sword competes scaling wise with giant greatswords. I hope they get a buff.

Shredderi

With a couple of bosses, it's impossible to hit them using an UGS without taking a hit in return if you want to beat it in a reasonable time frame. It's simply not worth using when you can do comparable damage with a straight sword and have enough time to avoid an attack.

Fucking A. It's just not worth committing to a slow lumbering zweihander swing of 350dmg when I can just swing two times with my straight sword for a combined damage of 420, all the while being faster and having enough time to roll away so damn far that I could send the boss a postcard that says "wish you were here". Can't believe their testing missed this. Well this is my first souls launch since I was late to the party with the first one so hopefully it'll get better. Zweihander was really good in DS1 with my ninja flipping glass cannon.

Ogawa-san

Considering how quickly some bosses (
AW, Pontiff, NK, SoC
, etc) can turn and hit you even though they've just done a combo, I wonder how people with heavier weapons are getting them done.

Plus those
ninja enemies at catacombs
that will strafe you to death, by the time you're done swinging they'll be behind you already.

A
byss
W
atchers
was a dope fight. I love the concept and music. Pretty easy tho

Fuck no man. FUCK. NO.

I died so many damn times to this guy. Too fucking many. It was super cool to see
the NPCs fight one another
but Christ that fight was so inconsistent...got me so pissed.

Mindlog

I got thrown off a bridge.
I mean it's sort of funny, but am I allowed to laugh at that?
With a couple of bosses, it's impossible to hit them using an UGS without taking a hit in return if you want to beat it in a reasonable time frame. It's simply not worth using when you can do comparable damage with a straight sword and have enough time to avoid an attack.
Try to avoid reading too much, but that's disconcerting. This is going to be my first Soulsborne using a big STR sword.

MrHoot

Now that you guys mention it, big weapons do seem really unviable in the game, especially late game. Some bosses will just absolutely smash you if you're too slow. Which kinda reinforces my point that they maybe took too much of bloodborne to put it into souls. Maybe big hammers sometimes since they do extra damage versus armored but still. I also use a dark sword now and it's astounding how ridiculously easy the game is now due to it's speed and scaling.

I'm really bummed since after BB i wanted to go for something slower, just for a change of pace, but it doesn't seem the game rewards that playstyle too much. I wonder if I should just forego dodging altogether in pve and just wear the heaviest armor, shield with high stability and weapon and see if I can be a good turtle. I was so disappointed once i started investing in my farron greatsword. It looks cool and that L1 is ridiculously awesome but it's basicaly useless in most scenarios, even with that good dex scaling. It's too slow to damage and will leave you open to about 80% of enemies

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think I found the biggest problem I have with the game.

It punishes you for using the bigger weapons. Like, it's seriously impossible to even use these bigger weapons on some enemies. When I play these games I want to be able to stick with ONE weapon, and upgrade that one weapon. I had no clue which weapon I wanted to run with at all. So I saved up for the
Wolf Knight Greatsword
but it's way to slow and I can't hit. So I had to go with the
Dark Sword
which is pretty damn great.

I feel as if some of the enemies should be a bit slower with the amount of weapons that are at our disposal. There are SOOOOOO many but I feel the game ditracts from that positive.

The biggest thing that I feel they took from Bloodborne that simply doesn't work with this game.

I've been rocking a greataxe since DS1 and the only thing that I've noticed is that you have to be absolutely on point with your dodge and when you throw out your swings. I think the wind up and recovery are fine (at least with the greataxe) because I can literally take off a massive chunk of life with a single swing. I never ran into things that were "impossible."

Plum

AW, Pontiff, NK, SoC
, etc) can turn and hit you even though they've just done a combo, I wonder how people with heavier weapons are getting them done.

Plus those
that will strafe you to death, by the time you're done swinging they'll be behind you already.

I've summoned for pretty much all bosses. It's just not fun at all going up against some with a slow-hitting weapon that does crap DPS compared to a faster one. I'm looking forward to starting my DEX playthrough and going up against them all solo as I originally intended when starting my first one.

I am just melting through the game with a STR build, focusing on a Heavy Great Club, instant staggers most enemies, tons of damage, and doesn't weigh an insane amount either. I did the same thing in Dark Souls 2, paired it with an Estoc in that game, those two weapons beat up pretty much every boss.

Maybe it will be easier with Dex, but so far running around with a Great Club seems pretty damn viable to me.

The recent posts about using big ass swrods are bumming me out because that was my plan with my current first character. Im still level 20 i guess im gonna try your route and fred flintstone the hell out of my 1st blind run. I thoroughly Enjoyed clubbing in DS 1 and 2.

KHlover

Banned
With the bigger regular enemies the cooldown from ANY attack with my greatsword meant that I'd just get hit. It was an exercise of either running past them or hit-get hit-repeat.

I think that From made the enemies a bit too "Bloodborne" which kind of made anyone not playing a Bloodborne-esque DEX build have a much more difficult time.

Lots and lots of rolling and perfectly timing attacks. I use a glaive and all the Knights of whatever kind give me huge problems. Can you imagine my suprise when I changed to the Broadsword and SMOKED them because where I had to dodge after each of my hits before I now could just keep them in permanent stunlock until they died? At ~70% DMG/hit on a less upgraded weapon. At least the Glaive is good for CC, but if I weren't REALLY in love with the weapon from DS1 I would no longer use it. Not much of a point in using heavy weapons in this game. They lack the oomph :(

I got thrown off a bridge.
I mean it's sort of funny, but am I allowed to laugh at that?

Try to avoid reading too much, but that's disconcerting. This is going to be my first Soulsborne using a big sword on the first run.

Don't. Seriously. It's not fun. I was absolutely loving the
Irithyll Sword
so maybe keep that in mind. Its a pretty damn hard hitting sword that's fast. I believe it scales with Dex, but I can see it absolutely demolishing anything. I'm currently using the
Dark Sword
as it's a heavy hitter, decent speed, and it's pretty cool. Reminds me of Ludwig's.

Lots and lots of rolling and perfectly timing attacks. I use a glaive and all the Knights of whatever kind give me huge problems. Can you imagine my suprise when I changed to the Broadsword and SMOKED them because where I had to dodge after each of my hits before I now could just keep them in permanent stunlock until they died? At ~70% DMG/hit on a less upgraded weapon. At least the Glaive is good for CC, but if I weren't REALLY in love with the weapon from DS1 I would no longer use it. Not much of a point in using heavy weapons in this game. They lack the oomph :(
It's completely bonkers how the broadsword R1 can stagger so many times, yet an R2 from my Zwei does nothing.

Baliis

Don't. Seriously. It's not fun. I was absolutely loving the
Irithyll Sword
so maybe keep that in mind. Its a pretty damn hard hitting sword that's fast. I believe it scales with Dex, but I can see it absolutely demolishing anything. I'm currently using the
Dark Sword
as it's a heavy hitter, decent speed, and it's pretty cool. Reminds me of Ludwig's.

Dark Sword
is pretty nice yea, thats what I'm using

Fuck no man. FUCK. NO.

I died so many damn times to this guy. Too fucking many. It was super cool to see

First phase:
be agressive when it's just one Walker since they stunlock easily. When a second one comes out I would just run away until a third one came out and then when they started fighting eachother you could kill one easily. And then repeat]

Second phase: Just dodge the combos before you attack and it's just a slightly harder version of
the first part of phase one.

I didn't think it was inconsistant or very tough due to some pretty exploitable weaknesses. But like I said, really cool fight even if I did find it easy.

Golgo 13

AW, Pontiff, NK, SoC

Plus those
I'm a twohander for the entirety of the game, but I found certain bosses were borderline unbeatable with a UGS. They're just too fast and mobile -- by the time you dodge and go to attack, after that lengthy wind-up, they're already out of range. So I had a one-handed weapon and shield on backup that I'd switch to to try out different strategies, and there's a few bosses I don't know if they'd be manageable without mobility and speed.

For me, the idea of a two-handed weapon is to get in the pocket (striking range of the enemy) and do serious damage, which usually means taking a few hits in the process (so high vigor and nice armor help). But certain bosses are just too deadly for that approach.

Plum

The recent posts about using big ass swrods are bumming me out because that was my plan with my current first character. Im still level 20 i guess im gonna try your route and fred flintstone the hell out of my 1st blind run. Enjoyed clubbing in DS 1 and 2.

The thing is that they ARE viable, but you really do need to "git gud" if you want to have the same level of challenge that any old DEX user would have. It's basically putting the game into a secret hard mode, the same way magic was always the secret easy mode.

Shredderi

AW, Pontiff, NK, SoC

Plus those

Speaking for myself and some others it seems, we're not. We live and learn the hard way to love the quick straightswords. Switched to almost exclusively using the Ilithyr one that you get very early on. It scaled pretty well with upgrading and it's my main weapon now, which absolutely guts me because I made my whole character into a quality build to use
farron's greatsword/Zweihander.
I just can't fucking do it. I've tried a lot with different tactics and no dice after mid game. I'm just not into smaller faster weapons, but yeah if I make a new character it's gonna be practically a ninja or something.

Barakov

A
byss
W
atchers
was a dope fight. I love the concept and music. Pretty easy tho

image.php

Well, aren't you fancy.

Fuck no man. FUCK. NO.

It's definitely one of the tougher fights in the game.
The range and moveset he has with his second form is absolutely brutal
. You have to be absolutely on point with your rolls. I think summons mitigate the difficulty of that fight quite a bit but he can still mess you up pretty bad pretty fast.

Shredderi

I've been rocking a greataxe since DS1 and the only thing that I've noticed is that you have to be absolutely on point with your dodge and when you throw out your swings. I think the wind up and recovery are fine (at least with the greataxe) because I can literally take off a massive chunk of life with a single swing. I never ran into things that were "impossible."

I feel like the problem is with the ultra-greatsword weapons. The more big smashy smashy weapons seem more viable since they seem to stagger and go through defenses more.

ZangBa

I just used the katana at the beginning of the game and everything was cakewalk, which I guess is a little disappointing but not really a big deal to me because of how fun it was anyway.

Vuze

Just do it

somewhat
Cheers guys!

Targeted MP question. Buddy and me used the same password and same settings but we just couldn't invade/summon each other.
Wiki says the level restrictions are lifted by using a password (he's 40ish, I'm 90ish) and I could get summoned by another buddy using the password (who was 50ish).
So I'm not exactly sure what's up; my invasions ended up being at a random host :/

Anything specific needed to trigger the password as "active" or sth?

On a semi-related note, I killed two phantoms there without knowing wth was going on lol. Guardbreak + belly stab = <3

Golgo 13

I feel like the problem is with the ultra-greatsword weapons. The more big smashy smashy weapons seem more viable since they seem to stagger and go through defenses more.
Certain Greatswords
Fume Ultra Greatsword for example
can stagger quite effectively, but they're insanely heavy and slow.

rdytoroll

Yeah, I'm also on Team Greatsword = pretty useless, but awesome looking. It's not viable in PvP either. Did some fights today and players with faster weapons have a much easier time. With the Butchers Knife I was just melting people, but with a GS/UGS? lol nope. By the time your swing comes out, they already rolled away and hit you 2-3 times. The R1 of the GS also takes up so much stamina, you cant really finish people off because they'll just roll away and heal up. It's frustrating, because if you hit them they also don't really get staggered

Golgo 13

Just wanted to add that both Poise and Heavy Armor received HUGE nerfs in this game compared to past Souls games, so that doesn't help two-handed wielders either.

In fact, it downright makes them much less viable.

I used a Zwei for a lot of the game since it's always my go to for a first Souls playthrough. From my experience it's not very good, and if you do go the STR route look into some of the Hammers and a certain boss weapon. Those are much much better. In fact most Great Swords and UGS' are just mediocre. You can get through the game with any weapon obviously, but those are just a lot harder/more unforgiving.

Fast hitting 1 handers stagger more often/faster, straight up do more damage, and you also have much larger windows of opportunity. Add in Resins which you can proc insanely fast. This also allows you to throw more of your levels into survival stats and not to meet those huge STR requirements making bosses even easier.

MrHoot

Just wanted to add that both Poise and Heavy Armor received HUGE nerfs in this game compared to past Souls games, so that doesn't help two-handed wielders either.

In fact, it downright makes them much less viable.

Yeah. Heavy armor got hit hard. It's a bit sad because on one hand their physical defense isn't that better compared to medium or some light armor. On the other they still weigh a fuckton, making it so that they're unviable if you even want to dodge properly without putting a shitton in vigor and equipping one if not two rings of equip load and still have enough for a weapon and shield.

I appreciate that we can fashion souls a bit more since stats mean a bit less for armor but goddamn if you're gonna make the heavy armor protect less, make them weigh a bit less too

Shredderi

Yeah, a pretty big balance oversight for sure. Big enough for the devs to be oblivious to it by now. Unless they know and it's intentional because "they're not good because that's the tradeoff for being cool looking.

Speaking of cool looking,
Dancers enchanted swords. So fucking cool of a moveset. Seems pretty garbage in practice though. I think the patch notes for the upcoming 1.04 patch mentioned this weapon. Hopefully they buff it because that's what I would wanna use for a totally different run.

myco666

Yeah Watchdogs covenant is broken for me. Waited for 15 minutes and nothing. Then I tried Red Eye Orb and bam instant connection. Seriously fuck From Software from putting stuff behind covenant ranks.

Soulflarz

Banned
Cheers guys!

Targeted MP question. Buddy and me used the same password and same settings but we just couldn't invade/summon each other.
Wiki says the level restrictions are lifted by using a password (he's 40ish, I'm 90ish) and I could get summoned by another buddy using the password (who was 50ish).
So I'm not exactly sure what's up; my invasions ended up being at a random host :/

Anything specific needed to trigger the password as "active" or sth?

On a semi-related note, I killed two phantoms there without knowing wth was going on lol. Guardbreak + belly stab = <3

diff regions perhaps? enable cross region MP

shit I keep checking this OT and not studying whats wrong with me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom