• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, beat it. I think I got the worst ending.
Nothing happened then credits rolled.

I didn't 'complete' any NPC quests, nor did I complete all the areas
Unintended Graves was unfinished, and I never did find Archdragon Peak.

I have plenty to still find, but I'm going to take my time and enjoy this after a little break. Awesome end to the series (as if they really aren't going to make future games).

K' Dash

Yeah, I'm also on Team Greatsword = pretty useless, but awesome looking. It's not viable in PvP either. Did some fights today and players with faster weapons have a much easier time. With the Butchers Knife I was just melting people, but with a GS/UGS? lol nope. By the time your swing comes out, they already rolled away and hit you 2-3 times. The R1 of the GS also takes up so much stamina, you cant really finish people off because they'll just roll away and heal up. It's frustrating, because if you hit them they also don't really get staggered

I gave up with Great Sword and picked up the Great Axe as soon as I had 32 strength, I regret nothing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Black knight bro dropped the
Black knight greataxe
on his first death. I could weep. I think he knew its my favorite weapon and was being nice.

ElFly

Is it just me or Po
ntiff Sulyva
hn is a huge reference to
Demon's Souls' False King?

He has similar moves, a long room to fight he approaches from the other side (tho this room is a cross) gets wings.

And his soul says that Pontiff Sulyvahn of Irithyll imprisoned a god of the old royalty in the abandoned cathedral, to be fed to the devourer.
which is not precisely the same thing the other guy did, but it is kind of similar.

vocab

Is it just me or Po
ntiff Sulyva
hn is a huge reference to
Demon's Souls' False King?

He has similar moves, a long room to fight he approaches from the other side (tho this room is a cross) gets wings.

And his soul says that Pontiff Sulyvahn of Irithyll imprisoned a god of the old royalty in the abandoned cathedral, to be fed to the devourer.
which is not precisely the same thing the other guy did, but it is kind of similar.

No. Star wars.

Big weapons are viable. You just get punished harder for bad decision making/incorrect weapon move. Likewise in pvp, where if your opponent gets hit once in a bad spot or stuck in a r1 mash they are dead. I can 1 shot people in pvp with a battle art, and if I get a parry/guard break/kick with hornet ring.....

In the swamp area, there's a
cliff with various items behind the Great Keep bonfire
. How do I get up there? I've done an entire lap of the swamp hugging the outer walls, and didn't see a way up.

Leezard

. How do I get up there? I've done an entire lap of the swamp hugging the outer walls, and didn't see a way up.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you must proceed further to get it.

If it's the spot I'm thinking of
go through the tri-torch door and hug the right side of the map until you find a brick pathway area, where you can fall onto that spot.
It's only the tip of the iceberg, though.

Ogawa-san

Near
another bunch of those awesome curse-spewing bugs? You can abuse the terrain a bit. Jump from the dry land to the rocks, and from the rocks you can jump up.

You can also find the actual way there later in the game, but that means
willingly going back into Farron Keep. Who'd do that
?

Fhtagn

Yeah I notice that as well. If you adjust the camera to different angles the water appears blue again.

You know you only need 10 pale tongues. You need 30 Vertebra Shackle for Mount Makers (use password matching making and summon someone to farm it), 30 sunlight medals for Sunbros, 30 Proof of a Concords for the Blades of the Darkmoon, and 30 Wolf’s Blood Swordgrass for the Watchdogs of Farron. The later 2 are R.I.P.

Watchdogs is easy to get to 30, if you do it as early as possible. I was invading every couple minutes or less at Lvl 34 with a +2 uchi.

Hellix

Okay, I am annoyed I got no ending achievement because
I attacked the Fire Keeper.
Is this a bug? Are they going to fix it or do I have to replay the game over again...

Puppen

Banned
I gave up with Great Sword and picked up the Great Axe as soon as I had 32 strength, I regret nothing.

I also just boosted a great axe to +9 and it's so much better than GS/UGS it's laughable. More damage and faster. They didn't balance GS/UGS at all.

The patch for Monday, April 18th does say Great Sword tweaks are on the list.

I mean they can't make Great Swords any worse right?

XFB3OvK.jpg

Well, that's that, I guess. Overall I'm left feeling disappointed in much the same way as when I finished Dark Souls II.

Overall, it felt like too much of a rehash -- and too similar to Dark Souls II. There were too many areas that felt like padding, and nowhere near enough memorable boss fights. Too much effort was put into making things "cheap hard" rather than "fun and challenging" which really, really ruins replayability.

I'm not mad that I played it -- when it was good it was great -- but it was too uneven, with more bad than good.

Much like Dark Souls II, I don't see myself replaying it much (especially not like my 4-5 runs on Dark Souls). After two relative stinkers in a row, I definitely won't get too hyped up for any future Souls games -- either From is rushing things, or the original Dark Souls was lightning in a bottle.

Okay, I am annoyed I got no ending achievement because
I attacked the Fire Keeper.
Is this a bug? Are they going to fix it or do I have to replay the game over again...

Could be worse; I just finished it, did not
kill the Fire Keeper
and still didn't get an achievement. Seems like it's buggy.

Soulflarz

Banned

Kieli

The technology in the Dark Souls III era is really advanced.

I'm surprised the scientists have managed to develop
heat-seeking missiles. Ones that perfectly home in from what appears to be 10 km away.

Shredderi

I also just boosted a great axe to +9 and it's so much better than GS/UGS it's laughable. More damage and faster. They didn't balance GS/UGS at all.

Read about the axe just now on these last couple of pages and went on to upgrade the Greataxe to +9 as well. Why is so much better? Fuck :D

Ogawa-san

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ltsquigs/blog/dark-souls-3-breaking-the-tank/113034/

Don't know if this has been posted, but it gives some numbers as to how viable heavy armour is. Seems like heavy armour is absolutely pointless.
Yeah, I'd say "but poise" but I'll just assume a rat or flying knife will sitll outpoise me in full Havel anyway.

I even got to 30+ VIT on my first char so I could wear heavier armor... Welp.

heat-seeking missiles. Ones that perfectly home in from what appears to be 10 km away.
You can hear the giant balista being fired, you think it's safe to move then, 5s later a bolt squarely lands on your head.
Dark Souls.

Uhh, my friend is trying to drop an item to me but its not appearing on my end. Was working fine last night. Is this a bug or I am doing something wrong?

Baliis

The technology in the Dark Souls III era is really advanced.

Some of the casters in this game are absolute bullshit. The casters in P
rofane Capital
lob fireballs with perfect accuracy from across the entire map.

Can someone tell me if I am going into the final boss ? And also if the game automatically puts you in NG+?

I'm about to go through the door at the very top of Lothric Castle. Where you have to get past a miniature army and 4 knights.

Uhh, my friend is trying to drop an item to me but its not appearing on my end. Was working fine last night. Is this a bug or I am doing something wrong?

You can't "trade" certain items, which include spells, covenant items, boss souls and upgrade materials. Your friend can drop it but you won't see it (and vice versa).

Mandelbo

I sent Greirat off to Ir
ithyll
and he hasn't come back for a long time now. I'm assuming he's dead, so where would I find his corpse?

Fhtagn

Well, that's that, I guess. Overall I'm left feeling disappointed in much the same way as when I finished Dark Souls II.

Overall, it felt like too much of a rehash -- and too similar to Dark Souls II. There were too many areas that felt like padding, and nowhere near enough memorable boss fights. Too much effort was put into making things "cheap hard" rather than "fun and challenging" which really, really ruins replayability.

I'm not mad that I played it -- when it was good it was great -- but it was too uneven, with more bad than good.

Much like Dark Souls II, I don't see myself replaying it much (especially not like my 4-5 runs on Dark Souls). After two relative stinkers in a row, I definitely won't get too hyped up for any future Souls games -- either From is rushing things, or the original Dark Souls was lightning in a bottle.

kill the Fire Keeper

Can you give an example of "cheap hard" because I can't think of any. "Fun and challenging" was pretty much the entire game for me, some early easy bosses aside.

Can someone tell me if I am going into the final boss ? And also if the game automatically puts you in NG+?

I'm about to go through the door at the very top of Lothric Castle. Where you have to get past a miniature army and 4 knights.

There is one boss after that. And no, there is a selector after the credits that asks you if you want to start NG+. Otherwise, you can just start at the bonfire whenever.

Soulflarz

Banned
Some of the casters in this game are absolute bullshit. The casters in P
rofane Capital
lob fireballs with perfect accuracy from across the entire map.

Someone clearly didn't play DS2 day one
Shrine of Amana pre nerf makes any homing shenanigans in the series seem like a joke.

Finished the game in almost exactly 30 hours around level 80. The last two bosses were tough, but I enjoyed them. Looking forward to checking out some things I missed.

mstevens

Really though? I'm using a fire uchigatana+1 and those
lothric knights
are still kicking my ass.

Maybe i just suck

Yeah I made a second character to play with a friend and figured I'd try the katana, but I was very underwhelmed. I don't really like the move set and the range seems so small.

I sent Greirat off to Ir
ithyll
and he hasn't come back for a long time now. I'm assuming he's dead, so where would I find his corpse?

When crossing the lake, there is a gutter to the left before the stairs down to irityhyl dungeon, he should be there, surrounded by like 3 of those spider-woman creatures

Citadel

Decided to make a new character and roll with Pyromancy. Never done this class before - I assume I should focus on Intelligence/Faith/Attunement?

CHC

I can't be the only one who actually prefers to be Hollow right? I feel like I look way cooler. My characters is only wearing the loincloth though so I feel like some kind of undead reaver, and I like it.

Can you give an example of "cheap hard" because I can't think of any. "Fun and challenging" was pretty much the entire game for me, some early easy bosses aside.

Yeah I mean I'm probably halfway through and I really struggle to think of a single thing that has been "cheap" so far. It's all been fun and enjoyable, which is not to say easy.

vocab

There were too many areas that felt like padding, and nowhere near enough memorable boss fights. Too much effort was put into making things "cheap hard" rather than "fun and challenging" which really, really ruins replayability.

Hey thats how I feel about ds1.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ltsquigs/blog/dark-souls-3-breaking-the-tank/113034/

Don't know if this has been posted, but it gives some numbers as to how viable heavy armour is. Seems like heavy armour is absolutely pointless.

This makes a lot of sense. I went in completely blind for this game and ended up using Great Swords with heavier armor (it just looks cool!). I didn't use a shield, and found myself putting a few to many points in endurance and VIT so I didn't fat roll and so I could combo with said Great Sword (which just eats your stamina bar)

I have since respec'd into DEX and medium armor and find myself having a much easier time on NG+. This game is best played like Bloodborne. The magic builds, "pure tank" builds, and hybrid builds (STR/FTH, DEX/INT, etc) are just super inefficient.

Thanks for linking the article!

Ogawa-san

2 things... One, why does this happen after killing a few enemies. o_O My character skins become like this:
Those are ashes... I think. In BB you're drenched with blood, in DS3 everything is ashen.

Two... I just noticed this on my second character, how do I get over there?
You'll get there later from
Farron Keep, the bonfire up the tall ladder leading to the Stray Demon. It's optional though

Brohan

Can't talk to
Siegward in the well
at
Cathedral
Does that mean he's dead? When I first came to this area i got 600 Souls out of nowhere and didn't know where they came from. Is this for real? Gonna be real sad if so.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I sent Greirat off to Ir
ithyll

If you didn't send Patches after him, then you'll find his ashes down in that tunnel where all those centipede enemies are. If you're at the bonfire right before the jail/dungeon, go up the stairs and enter the tunnel to the right. It's all water. In that tunnel area, if you go up the stairs, you'll find estus soup to give you an idea.

Aren't I supposed to be told when I'm invaded? Been fighting a mini boss twice and randomly a phantom appears and I die whole rolling away had no idea someone was in my game. Worn way of blue ring all game. Not been summoned once...

kill the Fire Keeper

Stinkers?

Really?

Come on.

The way people peddle their hyperbole on this forum like god given truth is maddening sometimes.

zma1013

Apparently Bloodborne was jealous that I was spending so much time with Dark Souls 3 as my PS4 turned on randomly and kept spitting out the Bloodborne disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom