• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppen

Banned
Probably because they have no interest in fighting other players so don't bother learning that play style, I know I don't and just run away from invaders

I alt f4 invaders. No time for that bullshit. What's precious is one time I actually decided to fight one, right before I was about to finish the bastard they alt f4'd. Invaders are unbelievable cowards.

Yeah, it's disappointing how unviable my Greatsword+10 seems to be. I've had to reinforce the Butcher's Knife just so I can deal with some enemies and PvP.

I'll likely do another playthrough after this one as fast DEX build. For my first one I just went with what I knew I would like since I didn't want to read up on things too much.

Yeah I went through my first run using a Great Sword going full STR. It's crazy how much easier things become with a DEX build using some of the "spam R1" weapons. It's night and day. Just be super aggressive and you'll be shocked how fast bosses die.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I alt f4 invaders. No time for that bullshit. What's precious is one time I actually decided to fight one, right before I was about to finish the bastard they alt f4'd. Invaders are unbelievable cowards.

Maybe 10-15% of them will stick around for the full fight. At times it can be kind of fun, but they usually just flee when the going gets tough.

Audioboxer

The
warden twin
blades are pretty awesome. Starting to enjoy a dual moveset.

Maybe 10-15% of them will stick around for the full fight. At times it can be kind of fun, but they usually just flee when the going gets tough.

Flee and hide behind enemies... smh.

Puppen

Banned
Yeah I went through my first run using a Great Sword going full STR. It's crazy how much easier things become with a DEX build using some of the "spam R1" weapons. It's night and day. Just be super aggressive and you'll be shocked how fast bosses die.

I'm thinking I might respec into this. What are the weapons to go with for that build?

Yep
You don't even get an increase in damage because the attack speed is so slow.

I invested way too much in strength to get it high enough to use a hammer I thought was cool, and I regretted it until I got the chance to respec. Heavy weapons are awful; it's so much more efficient right now to just run in and mash with something lighter. I don't love it, but presumably the game will be more balanced when I do a second playthrough.

KHlover

Banned
Damn that
Ancient Wyvern
was some bullshit. The first time I tried it I got
up to the platform, but for some reason my character didn't perform the drop attack and just fell to his death. The next 10 or so times I was just stunlocked and killed by the trashmobs before I managed it back up. Thankfully this time the attack didn't whiff. Fuck those puzzle bosses, just give me straight 1 on 1 fights. Constantly the worst bosses in Dark Souls. DS2 had a better dragon boss fight.

Booshka

So I fucked up Greirart's Questline and cant give him
Loretta's Bone (traded it to crow)
. All I really want is the Estoc, is there any way to get it beside his wares? I am close to completing my first playthrough, so I guess I could just do it in NG+, but was hoping to get it earlier than that.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm absolutely owning people in PVP with my level 31 halberd-equipped Herald. Man, have people got this bad in just a couple of years? What did Dark Souls 2 do to the community?

I just took out three players while fighting a
giant crab and those NPCs near Farron

No? You're invading, so you're running into people who may or may not have any interest in PVP.

Go to the arena right after
Pontiff Sulyvahn
if you want a challenge.

Otherwise you're just bragging about how you managed to invade people who don't regularly pvp in these games less than a week after the game released.

K' Dash

I just killed W
ornir
, it was pure luck though, I killed him fast enough so he didnt have time to do fuck me up with those OP attacks of his, fuck that boss.

Now I need to go back to the catacombs and explore the paths I didn't go, I usually dont do the boss before exploring the whole are first, but I stumbled upon him...

Man I really fucking hate the catacombs, hated them in DS and hate them here, I dread coming back, but the treasures!

Sickbean

Are any of the following areas as good as Undead Settlement?

If so this is going to give DS1 a run for its money - that area was incredible.

Probably because they have no interest in fighting other players so don't bother learning that play style, I know I don't and just run away from invaders
Yeah, invading players is the thing I like least about these games. I would be perfectly fine with that feature totally being gone. All it does is randomly screw with the flow of the game for me.

Yeah, invading players is the thing I like least about these games. I would be perfectly fine with that feature totally being gone. All it does is randomly screw with the flow of the game for me.

Agreed. It should just be an entire mode dedicated exclusively to multiplayer. When someone invades, it's just an annoyance that makes me stop having fun. I have no interest in the pvp side of things in these games.

Yeah, it's disappointing how unviable my Greatsword+10 seems to be. I've had to reinforce the Butcher's Knife just so I can deal with some enemies and PvP.

I'll likely do another playthrough after this one as fast DEX build. For my first one I just went with what I knew I would like since I didn't want to read up on things too much.

I alternated between my GS +10 and a Dark Sword. It's crazy how much easier boss fights can be with the Dark Sword.

Shredderi

About infusing. Is it better to infuse a weapon with say, refined gem after upgrading the weapon first to, for example, +10? Does it matter?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I've loved it since Demon's Souls. I still get a shot of adrenaline when I get informed that someone has invaded my world. But if you're really not interested, slap on the "Way of the Blue" covenant. There's plenty of copbros out there that would absolutely love to help you out.

Why are there random fog walls in Firelink? They go away when I walk away and come back. Are they hiding a loading screen or something?
Yea, I think that was their solution to load Firelink quickly so you don't have to wait for the entire zone to load. Makes sense seeing as I don't really ever have to go outside after a while unless I want to explore and possibly visit some other things.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Can you even get invaded when you are not "embered" ? I never got invaded once in 45 hours but i never walk around poping embers. Did plenty of invasions myself though!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game is incredible. Easily my favorite Souls game.

Too bad the netcode is so disappointing. Really damages pvp that has otherwise been very fun.

Booshka

Where are PvP players stopping their characters? Just hit 100 and not budging till I'm sure.
Level 100 seems good so far for this game, working toward STR build and SL 100 seems like plenty. Although at this early in the games life, it may be better to just PvP with a SL 50 for the activity, since the meta isn't decided, and not very balanced.
About infusing. Is it better to infuse a weapon with say, refined gem after upgrading the weapon first to, for example, +10? Does it matter?

I don't think Infusion resets the upgrades, thankfully, so whatever stats you are raising, infuse the weapon so it benefits from the appropriate stat scaling.

Refined is essentially STR/DEX quality scaling.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I believe you can just go offline?

Missing out on the messages that players drop and jolly cooperation are huge parts of the game. Some people just aren't fans of the invasion aspect that gets tied to it though.

I think the Way of the Blue covenant is a fine solution.

Can you even get invaded when you are not "embered" ? I never got invaded once in 45 hours but i never walk around poping embers. Did plenty of invasions myself though!
You have to be embered to be invaded. You also have to be embered to invite people for coop as well.

I've loved it since Demon's Souls. I still get a shot of adrenaline when I get informed that someone has invaded my world. But if you're really not interested, slap on the "Way of the Blue" covenant. There's plenty of copbros out there that would absolutely love to help you out.
Honestly it doesn't happen enough to be that much of a bother. It's just annoying the few times it does.

Through like 80 hours of Bloodborne I got invaded less than five times. I haven't even gotten invaded yet in DSIII and I'm about 12 hours in.

Shredderi

I'm having a hell of a hard time trying to use great swords. Enemies are too relentless and too fast, and it doesn't even really stun then unless you're 2 handing it. What are the strongest regular swords?

Fucking this. so. fucking. much. Like, what the hell? I'm a guy who likes ultra big swords and used them exclusively in DS1. To a great effect even. Can't use them late game which bums me out. The problem is that they don't really stagger anything that needs staggering. Normal enemies to bosses just poise tank through the heavies R2 Zweihander slam. I don't need to stunlock enemies to oblivion but it just isn't worth committing to attacking with one when you're going to be taking damage yourself because the swings are so slow and if an enemy starts an attack animation after you many times it won't get interrupted. So alas, I have had to resort to my trusty Ilithyrr straight sword which boring as fuck. I wanna play while looking boss. But the bosses and the more challenging enemies are exponentially more easy with the straightsword.

Plum

And you can put the heavier armor on since you aren't holding 20lbs of pure steel alongside a shield (for emergencies). Going STR really does defeat the point of things a bit, but it's good if you want a more challenging runthrough I guess.

Level 100 seems good so far for this game, working toward STR build and SL 100 seems like plenty. Although at this early in the games life, it may be better to just PvP with a SL 50 for the activity, since the meta isn't decided, and not very balanced.

Ya staying here for now. In NG+ and kind of upset because
I screwed up yurias questline now she's gone and I didnt kill her and cant get poison knives. If I go to NG++ and i would need the 5 levels Yeol gives to get her back..sigh.

CHC

Yeah I REALLY can't get into the Greatsword this time around. I enforced it to +5 and put a Heavy infusion on it since I'm pure Strength, but it still can't compete with the Greataxe (which is also Heavy +5). The moveset is slower and less reliable, and the damage can't hold a candle to the axe.

That said I am HUGELY enjoying the axe. Going full Deprived (only loincloth) and limiting myself to Greataxe only has been so much fun, and with enough points in Strength it's quite rare for any enemy to survive two hits from this thing.

Fucking this. so. fucking. much. Like, what the hell? I'm a guy who likes ultra big swords and used them exclusively in DS1. To a great effect even. Can't use them late game which bums me out. The problem is that they don't really stagger anything that needs staggering. Normal enemies to bosses just poise tank through the heavies R2 Zweihander slam. I don't need to stunlock enemies to oblivion but it just isn't worth committing to attacking with one when you're going to be taking damage yourself because the swings are so slow and if an enemy starts an attack animation after you many times it won't get interrupted. So alas, I have had to resort to my trusty Ilithyrr straight sword which boring as fuck. I wanna play while looking boss. But the bosses and the more challenging enemies are exponentially more easy with the straightsword.

With a couple of bosses, it's impossible to hit them using an UGS without taking a hit in return if you want to beat it in a reasonable time frame. It's simply not worth using when you can do comparable damage with a straight sword and have enough time to avoid an attack.

Booshka

I am just melting through the game with a STR build, focusing on a Heavy Great Club, instant staggers most enemies, tons of damage, and doesn't weigh an insane amount either. I did the same thing in Dark Souls 2, paired it with an Estoc in that game, those two weapons beat up pretty much every boss.

Maybe it will be easier with Dex, but so far running around with a Great Club seems pretty damn viable to me.

Keinu

Why are there random fog walls in Firelink? They go away when I walk away and come back. Are they hiding a loading screen or something?

Yes, they are there because of loading. Guess it is because you teleport there from all other places in the game and they want to cut down on the load times when you only go there to level etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom