• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Surprisingly enough I'm having a good time invading people as a Watchdog, something I never bothered with before. But I'm also having weird techincall problems. Often the other characters don't animate properly and just slide around the world, making PvP a lot of "fun". It almost feels like cheating because I feel like I hit them everytime, while when I play without animation problems I'm having a much harder time. Hopefully that's not the case though.

Just wondering if that problem is common or if that's my internet bugging out. I do have a pretty fast connection but I did run into some troubles a while ago so this makes me question whether that's my fault or the game's.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
again, Greatsword is a item in the game, and a type of weapon.

They might very well be refering to the item, not to greatswords in general. Especially since they mention two other greatswords after

Sanctuary

Yeah, it is. What's going to poison you in the cathedral, when bleed is the chief effect? Do you really need that bone dust so badly to beat the easiest boss in the game?

It's a waste of time in conceivable way, nothing but a false choice the developers gave you to make you feel like the game is less linear than it actually is.

What on earth are you talking about? The reason to go to the Cathedral first is just to pick up the ring for Farron Keep. It's literally a five minute trek,
because it's right outside. Similarly with the bone dust,
or did you just not understand my post?
For the record, on my first playthrough I actually did Farron Keep first, and I did it just fine. It's even easier though if you know about the previous items at the Cathedral.

I don't think I've seen this brought up yet, but what's up with the stupid looking super speed enemies coming out of an ambush? I see an enemy around the corner, shoot him with a bolt, and the fucker just zips out and swings like the Flash. Also, you can hit ambush guys that are just sitting down, and they are right on your ass, swinging faster than a longsword.

There is a huge inconsistency with i-frames on enemies getting up from being knocked down for whatever reason also. Some you can just R1 right away to finish them off, while others have invincibility while they slowly get their ass back up.

ALSO, there seems to be some BS going on when trying to backstab, and you get staggered to prevent it, but you don't take damage, and the enemy didn't do anything. It's just like this 0 damage invisible hit to prevent sticking a sword up someones ass.

Like a poster said above me, I've beaten the game now, but some of this stuff (stamina, poise) still kinda pisses me off, even if I think the game is great.

Xeteh

It's funny reading posts that talk about how the combat is so shitty in Dark Souls 2 compared to this, yet this game has so many of the same issues, if not more. Even without the agility requirement to have i-frames, the dodge is still way worse than in Demon's and the first Dark Souls. You get clipped by enemies that read inputs, or do the train station turntable swings that track you. Then there's the seemingly infinite stamina enemies that just keep attacking, like the later Knights with the tower shields.

I feel like the hitboxes are infinitely better than they were in DS2 but with these wide arcing swings that enemies use while constantly adjusting their aim it basically feels like the swing hits 360 degrees. So safest option would be to roll backwards but its not like you can punish an enemy that run out of stamina.

I'm legit confused by the people who felt this game was easier than previous entries. Maybe I just can't adjust.

Hakkuei

Surprisingly enough I'm having a good time invading people as a Watchdog, something I never bothered with before. But I'm also having weird techincall problems. Often the other characters don't animate properly and just slide around the world, making PvP a lot of "fun". It almost feels like cheating because I feel like I hit them everytime, while when I play without animation problems I'm having a much harder time. Hopefully that's not the case though.

Just wondering if that problem is common or if that's my internet bugging out. I do have a pretty fast connection but I did run into some troubles a while ago so this makes me question whether that's my fault or the game's.

Yes, it's a common problem. It even happens to bosses.

You're lucky to get any Watchdog summon at all!

Gvitor

Why can't I deposit stuff from the inventory like alluring skulls, firebombs, throwing needles,e tc.?

I can deposit weapons and armors and they go just fine, but when I do so with items, they seem to be deposited, but when I leave the screen they come back to my pockets.

pa22word

What on earth are you talking about? The reason to go to the Cathedral first is just to pick up the ring for Farron Keep. It's literally a five minute trek,
because it's right outside. Similarly with the bone dust,
or did you just not understand my post?

I read it backwards, but the point still stands. There's no reason to go through Catacombs first considering the game grants you an invisible wall for doing so.

Mafro

Fucking this. so. fucking. much. Like, what the hell? I'm a guy who likes ultra big swords and used them exclusively in DS1. To a great effect even. Can't use them late game which bums me out. The problem is that they don't really stagger anything that needs staggering. Normal enemies to bosses just poise tank through the heavies R2 Zweihander slam. I don't need to stunlock enemies to oblivion but it just isn't worth committing to attacking with one when you're going to be taking damage yourself because the swings are so slow and if an enemy starts an attack animation after you many times it won't get interrupted. So alas, I have had to resort to my trusty Ilithyrr straight sword which boring as fuck. I wanna play while looking boss. But the bosses and the more challenging enemies are exponentially more easy with the straightsword.
Yeah I'm really regretting focusing on a strength character. Gave up using the Zweihander and Claymore for the reasons above and switched to a heavy infused Dark Sword and it's so much better. Guess this explains why virtually everyone I've been invaded by appears to be a dex katana spammer.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yes, it's a common problem. It even happens to bosses.

You're lucky to get any Watchdog summon at all!

Thank god. Like 2 out of 3 times the connection just fails when I'm getting summond. I still have ~30 Wolfblood Grasses by now. I should move on with the game though, I'm still in those woods and haven't progressed much.

So...I think I encountered a bug on NG+ on Xbone. Everytime I try to invade, it won't let me use any items for online play. Then when I try to warp back to the firelink shrine, the game will be stuck in the loading screen.

I just finished the Catacombs and am still using my Claymore. So far I haven't had any problems and it has served me very well. But talk of gimped GS/UGS use later on is scaring me. Does it get worse/harder past the catacombs? Has anyone finished the game with the Claymore?

Zophar

How the hell do you make the elevator between Lothric Castle before the boss and the Grand Archives before
Lorian
go up instead of down? Every time I step on it there's a 50/50 chance it'll go down instead, and waste my time.

So, a friend of mine dared me to go kill all 7 crabs in the S
mouldering
L
ake
area with a melee weapon for two reasons:

A. To see if there's a ring drop (there isn't)
B. For the hell of it/to torture me since I laughed at him for running away when he got there.

So here's Crab Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqJJUttQUCs

Most pointless video I've ever made.

pa22word

How the hell do you make the elevator between Lothric Castle before the boss and the Grand Archives before
Lorian
go up instead of down? Every time I step on it there's a 50/50 chance it'll go down instead, and waste my time.

dude it's a switch elevator >.>

visions of beer with bud ahead

No it's not. Although it's still good to do Cathedral first, at least to grab the
Poisonbite ring, and the bone dust
. If for whatever reason, you're masochistic and trying to play as a "pure" ranged Sorcery build at that point, you'll definitely want to go through Farron first.

It's funny reading posts that talk about how the combat is so shitty in Dark Souls 2 compared to this, yet this game has so many of the same issues, if not more. Even without the agility requirement to have i-frames, the dodge is still way worse than in Demon's and the first Dark Souls. You get clipped by enemies that read inputs, or do the train station turntable swings that track you. Then there's the seemingly infinite stamina enemies that just keep attacking, like the later Knights with the tower shields.

Huh, personally so far I've felt totally the opposite about rolls in this game. It think they are too forgiving on I-frames in fact.

WarAdept

I'm nearing the end of the game with my lol Vigor/Endurance Vordt's Hammer smacking character. I'd love to try a pure caster build next.

Are they still shit?

MilkBeard

I just finished the Catacombs and am still using my Claymore. So far I haven't had any problems and it has served me very well. But talk of gimped GS/UGS use later on is scaring me. Does it get worse/harder past the catacombs? Has anyone finished the game with the Claymore?

I'm not in late game yet, but I'm pretty far, and I'm still staggering enemies with a straight sword, so I think it's either really late in the game, or just specific enemies don't stagger.

I think what the game is trying to do, is to promote use of varying types of weapons instead of just relying on one weapon type through the whole game.

It would serve people well to keep a quick, smaller weapon around along with a heavy slow one. It's just kind of a common sense type of thing.

pa22word

Anyone have a link to the soft and hard caps? If really appreciate it.

It seems to be 40 for everything again on hardcaps. I got very diminishing returns there on basically on the stats I was leveling. Like I had like 400,000 souls on me from helping dudes out on NK and used it to play around with the caps a bit, and it was going to take me 7 levels of END to get to 161 from 160.

Xeteh

I used the Claymore exclusively until the last boss. I felt the speed was causing me to take hits while not really being worth the damage. I say that as someone who has used the Claymore in every game previously. Its doable but it just felt super slow.

Yes, I step on the switch and it takes me down to where the item is/was, instead of up like I want it to. All I want it to do is take me upstairs reliably.

There's 2 elevators on those ropes. If you run off the one that sends you down the one that is up top comes down to you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I finished the game with a
wolf knight
greatsword which is basically the same shit

Yes, I step on the switch and it takes me down to where the item is/was, instead of up like I want it to. All I want it to do is take me upstairs reliably.

its a double lift. press the switch and roll back so you get the other lift. its not a 50/50 chance. Dude, how did you get to the end of the game and didnt realise this lol

Tarkus

I used the Claymore exclusively until the last boss. I felt the speed was causing me to take hits while not really being worth the damage. I say that as someone who has used the Claymore in every game previously. Its doable but it just felt super slow.
DS2 has the best Claymore by a mile.

Jin

It does get harder. I'm a GS/UGS player in all my souls game and I had to switch to Lothric Longsword. There are parts past the catacombs that I can't imagine myself using a GS/UGS. I have no doubt you can finish the game with it, but it's feels like the game is made for fast swinging weapons.

pa22word

No, I mean it literally /switches/

You go one way and the another replaces it to take you somewhere else, just like the elevator in Undead Settlement when you met with a rather rotund knight that was also stumped by your conundrum. To fix it, run across and trigger the lift without actually taking it, and the other one will come back to you.

Rhaknar

but it's feels like the game is made for fast swinging weapons.

not really

that reminds me, can you go on a murder spree on the npcs before changing to NG+ without consequence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom