• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

I've stuck with Astora Straight Sword for my playthrough, 225 atk at +4 with raw infusion. Dunno why even bother with str/dex, lol :(

So far I've been easily slicing through enemies.

McBryBry

So far I've been rolling pretty good with the Greatsword after getting it, Claymore before that.

I'm wondering though, are any of the greatsword/ultra boss weapons viable? I've gotten through P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
and am curious before I pump more into my Greatsword.

MilkBeard

I've stuck with Astora Straight Sword for my playthrough, 225 atk at +4 with raw infusion. Dunno why even bother with str/dex, lol :(

So far I've been easily slicing through enemies.

Yeah, you could potentially forgoe strength/dex with raw, which is an interesting concept.

I've been keeping an upgraded Sharp Uchigatana and a decent amount of dex, it does good damage on most enemies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So far I've been rolling pretty good with the Greatsword after getting it, Claymore before that.

I'm wondering though, are any of the greatsword/ultra boss weapons viable? I've gotten through P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn

everything is viable... I need to stop coming to this thread lol >_<

I finished the game with
Wolf Knight Greatsword
, and am now using
Lorrian Greatsword
(which is actually a ultra gs) at the end game / for the dlc / when I switch to ng+ both are boss soul weapons

pa22word

ontiff
S
ulyvahn
I rocked the cathedral greatsword pretty much the entire game on my latest run and soundly hammered every boss in the game but one.

I say go for it, but remember that for bosses and especially later bosses that countering out of a roll is your best friend.

A
byss
W
atchers
. I say without hyperbole that this is the hardest boss fight I've ever encountered in a video game. I've spent all my game time last night and today trying to beat it. I wouldn't be surprised if I've died 50 times so far. I stopped counting after 10.

My character is a heavy armor wearer that uses big heavy weapons... and I'm really starting to regret it. Should I restart the game? I've spent so many points on strength and vitality...

So I've been exclusively using the Irithyll Straight Sword when I could not get the Claymore to agree with my playstyle. I haven't really heard anyone talk about using it in this thread. Am I wasting mats upgrading this?

pa22word

and am now using
Lorrian Greatsword

SO0g7nd.gif

Wat. The moveset in DS2 was incredible. Horizontal 2H R1's followed by a thrust R2 and a spin R2. Perfect.

People just have a DS2 hate boner to the degree that if they don't slam the game once every day they start to get the shakes. Just ignore him.

A
byss
W
atchers
. I say without hyperbole that this is the hardest boss fight I've ever encountered in a video game. I've spent all my game time last night and today trying to beat it. I wouldn't be surprised if I've died 50 times so far. I stopped counting after 10.

My character is a heavy armor wearer that uses big heavy weapons... and I'm really starting to regret it. Should I restart the game? I've spent so many points on strength and vitality...
Their pretty squishy. You can backstab them as well. Just summon someone.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A
byss
W
atchers

just use lighter armor so you can medium roll. you still need the vitality if you want to use greatswords and big shields and medium roll anyway

im no fume sheep! ;_;

MilkBeard

So I've been exclusively using the Irithyll Straight Sword when I could not get the Claymore to agree with my playstyle. I haven't really heard anyone talk about using it in this thread. Am I wasting mats upgrading this?

Although there's probably weapons that are easier to upgrade (twinkling titanite are hard to come by) I keep the sword in my rotation. It holds its own when upgraded, is very fast with a wide swing, and staggers well.

Plus, the weapon just looks damned cool with the frost coming off of it.

How do you play with one of your friends? We have the same password set and we're both using 'restricted' matchmaking. Are there level requirements? (I'm 17 levels higher than him)

ElFly

A
byss
W
atchers

Don't restart, just wear different armor.

That fight is actually quite easy, just use an ember outside the boss door, and summon a couple of bros, they can even do all the work for you.

Although there's probably weapons that are easier to upgrade (twinkling titanite are hard to come by) I keep the sword in my rotation. It holds its own when upgraded, is very fast with a wide swing, and staggers well.

Yeah I just hit the 8 twinkling upgrade and have been hoping for lizards. Think I'm up to 2/8 now!

Vire

Really wish you could get your mats back somehow after investing and deciding you want to try out a different weapon.

I feel like it would really encourage experimentation.

I'm trying a Strength build for the first time in a Souls game - so far nothing I've gotten seems to be better than the basic Broadsword from the beginning of the game. I've infused it with Heavy and I'm having a pretty good time with it. Just got a Dark Sword though and the move set seems like being worth a shot. Kind of wish I'd gone Dex with the twin blade weapons looking neat though.

Question for Fashion Souls - is Ornstein's armor set in this game? That's still my favorite armor set in the Siuls series.

Rhaknar

Plus, the weapon just looks damned cool with the frost coming off of it.

twinkling titanite are not hard to come by at all in DSIII, you dont upgrade armor anymore. I had over 100 when I finished the game. Plus you can
buy it infinitely in the end game anyway

Question for Fashion Souls - is Ornstein's armor set in this game? That's still my favorite armor set in the Siuls series.

yes but very late in the game

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So for the Souls experts here: Is there a point to play NG+ with a new "class" or will I just be woefully underequiped to handle it? I'm far from beating the game but I'm thinking about whether I actually do wanna play NG+ or not and playing it the exact same way sounds kinda boring to me.

Their pretty squishy. You can backstab them as well. Just summon someone.

I've managed to land a backstab once. Other than that it's me trying to dodge their combos, failing, and getting chain-attacked until I die. I can't fucking figure out the timing for their moves, and some of their attacks hit me mid-roll.

just use lighter armor so you can medium roll. you still need the vitality if you want to use greatswords and big shields and medium roll anyway

Yeah I'm at 69.9% weight ratio so I've got the medium roll. I'm using Vordt's great hammer.

Zocano

The fact the D
arkmoon
covenant needs way of blue shit is fucking terrible. Just have them auto-invade anyone getting fucked by AF invaders.

Dartastic

Not exactly sure where to go now. I just beat the
Deacons of the Deep
and got a key to some new area. Not sure where that locked door is.

Rhaknar

So for the Souls experts here: Is there a point to play NG+ with a new "class" or will I just be woefully underequiped to handle it? I'm far from beating the game but I'm thinking about whether I actually do wanna play NG+ or not and playing it the exact same way sounds kinda boring to me.

what do you mean new class? like respec before going into ng+? when you go to ng+ you keep your stats

Yeah I'm at 69.9% weight ratio so I've got the medium roll. I'm using Vordt's great hammer.

oh so youre fine then, why do you want to restart lol

MilkBeard

twinkling titanite are not hard to come by at all in DSIII, you dont upgrade armor anymore. I had over 100 when I finished the game. Plus you can
buy it infinitely in the end game anyway

yes but very late in the game

Well, at least up until mid game, the resource is more limited than the others. Pretty much only enough to upgrade one weapon from the crystal lizards and such. But yeah, not having to upgrade armor is a big help.

pa22word

Don't restart, just wear different armor.

That fight is actually quite easy, just use an ember outside the boss door, and summon a couple of bros, they can even do all the work for you.

I wish more people would do this when summoning =\

I beat up on NK for like 2 hours last knight, and most of the time I lost was when the dude I who summoned me got waylaid by the initial three hit combo of the second phase. It sucks too, because when phase 2 starts the host gets teleported to NK halfway across the map while you get left pretty close to the fog door. I've sacrificed like 3/4 of my health bar trying to get across the map to prevent a host from getting themselves slaughtered in that fight >_<

Is the Dark Sword really as good as they say?

And should I make it a Heavy if I'm a STR build right now? I can always do a Quality build with a respec if that suits the sword better.

Also, another question: What happens when I buff my weapon with a Resin? Let's say I have a Heavy Dark Sword, and I buff it with a Gold Pine Resin. What actually happens with the stats? Do I get my usual stats + lightning on top of it?

Anyone? ;_;

I just feel kind of hopeless right now with my Claymore and Wolf Knight's Greatsword. Both are just too sluggish, and I somehow made it all the way to the O
ceiros
which I barely managed to beat.

goblin

You can respec, and by the time you get to endgame you'll be in prime position to upgrade and infuse another couple of weapons, put on a new suit of armor and find all the rings you'd need to support a new playstyle. Only thing stopping you is if you want to switch things up or not.

twisteh

Well ive had a productive day off. Beat
Pontiff, Yhorm, Aldrich and Dancer although it makes me wonder why it took me about 50 attempts to beat the abyss walkers..
love this game, first proper Souls for me, the views in this game are just awesome. Definitely going to play 2 after this and hopefully 1 will get a remaster at some point.

Infest

Hey, I'm currently struggling with
High Lord Wolnir
( the 6th boss iirc) and my biggest problem is that I already lose ~4 Estus flassks on my way to the boss. Is there a bonfire I am missing? ( I always respawn at the bonfire where I beat the previous boss).

Rhaknar

Yeah, I mean respec, sorry. If that's even possible, I know it was in DS II

it is but its tied to a covenent. the one in
cathedral of the deep with the worms

and you can only do it 5 times. and you need 5 items of that covenent which are a pain to get >_<

pa22word

Anyone? ;_;

I just feel kind of hopeless right now with my Claymore and Wolf Knight's Greatsword. Both are just too sluggish, and I somehow made it all the way to the O
ceiros
which I barely managed to beat.

I destroyed NK and CG with it. It's a very stout little sword. At 40 STR it was doing 400 with heavy infusion, and for as fast as that thing is it can really waylay a lot in this game.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
it is but its tied to a covenent. the one in
cathedral of the deep with the worms

and you can only do it 5 times. and you need 5 items of that covenent which are a pain to get >_<

Oh...well.
I guess I'm just gonna beat the regular game and then consult a guide.
Thanks y'all

E92 M3

Well ive had a productive day off. Beat
Pontiff, Yhorm, Aldrich and Dancer although it makes me wonder why it took me about 50 attempts to beat the abyss walkers..
love this game, first proper Souls for me, the views in this game are just awesome. Denitely going to play 2 after this and hopefully 1 will get a remaster at some point.

tumblr_inline_muc3rxih7u1s9m7h7.jpg

Rhaknar

Hey, I'm currently struggling with
High Lord Wolnir
( the 6th boss iirc) and my biggest problem is that I already lose ~4 Estus flassks on my way to the boss. Is there a bonfire I am missing? ( I always respawn at the bonfire where I beat the previous boss).

the
giant skelleton
? the path to him is a traight shot from the sewer bonfire, pass the (now open) grate at the rats, dash through the wooden bridge and youre there. you shouldnt use any estus at all

I haven't been able to reliably parry, and it seems most attacks I want to parry aren't. So I guess I'll keep poking with my rapier.
What's a good high scalling DEX weapon, besides the rapier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom