• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iorv3th

Man does the butcher knife scream bloodborne. I can't believe I've fallen in love with this weapon lol. Lemme ask and I just need a yes or no, are there any other weapons with the butcher knifes effect?

(I just dislike the heavy attack. It looks lame and stuff. :p)

Sort of it's a covenant item
Curved Wolf Sword heals with 3 + hits and more with more hits. It scales with dex though

Sawneeks

Banned
Where should I be heading after defeating the
Curse-Rotted Greatwood
? Did I miss something in the
Undead Settlement
?

For the way forward there are some double doors in the room before you fought the Greatwood. Open the doors, go down the stairs, and continue exploring from there. :)

Go back to Ithyrll.
There's a bonfire near the water area. Keep going from there.

Where the big
Dog-monster is?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finally finished. All achievements completed.

Just a heads up: If you are shooting to get all of the rings, be aware that you also need the +1 and +2 versions of the rings that appear in NG+ and NG++.

107 total.

Congrats on this. I'm still doubting whether I'm up for the grind, considering going for the plat on PS4. After I finished my first run there, I used all the souls from the final boss to hoard spells. If I use a list, I could get every (possible) item before going to NG+. All the covenant stuff is what's keeping me away though.

dlauv

so enemies dont get stronger ? thats strange

They do, but they're easier than base game still. The balancing for the next cycle was probably accommodating lowest common denominator. But it's just the same game with different item placing.

Zemm

Completed DS3 and re-bought DS2 to try and play through that again and my God, it feels so 2nd rate and horrible to play, at least at the start. DS3 is such a massive upgrade in so many ways.

pa22word

so enemies dont get stronger ? thats strange
Well yeah of course they get a little stronger.

It's almost an unnoticeable difference though. I anihilated my way all the way through the path that shouldn't be taken at the start of the game and didn't even really blink.

Sanctuary

I have a question about shields
why would you take one that does not have 100% physical damage absorb? I am just wondering why most of them don't have that

Because sometimes stability is more important, even if it means you'll take damage. Higher stability can prevent attacks that would normally drain all of your stamina and leave you open to a second attack that could cause massive damage. With higher stability that's not 100% reduction, you can still have enough stamina left after a block to dodge, and still take overall less damage than you might have.

okay, so can I ask what pyromancies you've been using and also what weapon you're using? need some inspiration.

There's really only three direct damage Pyromancies that I think are worth using for PvE, and in order of usefulness:

Black Fire Orb
(20/20). At 35/35 it does 670 damage and comes out relatively quick. It also staggers fairly well. Not sure what the damage type is, but it's not 100% fire. It's either dark + physical or fire + physical.
Chaos Fire Orb
0/0 investment, so it's all around useful for those not wanting to actually dump much into INT/FTH. You won't be dealing as much damage with it as you would otherwise, but it's still good for no investment. 2 slots
Chaos Bed Vestiges
(20/10). It's a better version of
Chaos Fire Orb
if you are actually raising INT/FTH and it comes out relatively quickly. Unlike
Black Fire Orb
, this is 100% fire damage, so it can hurt enemies weak against fire even more. 2 slots

Then you have the auxiliary spells like Flash Sweat and the flame weapon buff. The other spells are more useful for PvP than PvE.

For weapons, you can't go wrong with a Chaos infused Dark Sword, although a longsword would be good too (less stat requirements and lighter, but slightly less damage overall). You would also want a non elementally infused weapon that allows you to buff it for enemies resistant to fire too. You can use either magic, dark or lighting weapon buffs too at 30/30.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
btw you guys weren't kidding about the dark sword. I'm doing a str run and wanted something that has good scaling, but is fast too... Dark sword is all that. I did a heavy infusion and it has A scaling with str, but is pretty damn fast. I wonder what the dmg output will be once I +10 it and hit 40 str, but right now I'm loving this weapon. Probably my favorite so far.

At the end of NG++ I had
Fume Ultra Greatsword
, Full
Havel
set, Grass Crest Shield, and enough Vitality to make it so I can normal roll
67 Vit + Havel Ring +2 and Ring of Favor +2

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Just found the large club. You don fucked up now Darksouls.

67F38CCF2DFEABE587D3C8FE35A2D8E4351DEEAA

Zemm

I don't think I can ever go back from Dark Souls 3

Yeah I dunno, maybe me neither. I don't remember the combat in DS2 feeling this shit. Honestly feels like the game some small dev team would make when trying to copy Dark Souls, feels bad. DS1 feels completely fine but this...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
SL50, +5 upgrade

I also have cross-region play on.

I think you're seeing where a lot of people are as they make their way through NG. I think a month down the road, it will be a lot more spread out. It would be cool to see migratory patterns over time of players in NG visually tbh. That would be pretty cool.

Use a faster weapon and stunlock these assholes to death. GS doesn't stagger enough. Hahahahaha ;-; (I wish I were joking)
Damn, I see... They really nerfed the big weapons, huh?

Should I try what that meme video showed? ("Use the estoc"?) Anything to stop these asshats because good lord they give me no respite!

Ogawa-san

Completed DS3 and re-bought DS2 to try and play through that again and my God, it feels so 2nd rate and horrible to play, at least at the start. DS3 is such a massive upgrade in so many ways.
I thought after DS3 I could go back and finally beat DS1, the last one left. It was hard after BB, at this point it might be impossible.

Yeah I dunno, maybe me neither. I don't remember the combat in DS2 feeling this shit. Honestly feels like the game some small dev team would make when trying to copy Dark Souls, feels bad. DS1 feels completely fine but this...
lol a lot of people were complaining about this when they went from Bloodborne to Dark Souls 2. I still maintain that game feels sluggish as all hell in the beginning.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Can somebody explain to me how the whole affair with Y
oel
of L
ondor
works? Is there any drawbacks to accepting his "offer", getting the
5 required things
and letting the
Firekeeper heal
you when you give
her the Firekeeper Soul
?

If I should go with it, let me see if I'm getting correctly:
if you accept his offer, you become Hollow when you die. Every X numbers of Hollowing levels, you get an item. You need to give him 5 of these items and he will die, or something like that. This is tied to an ending, somehow?

I know I'm using a lot of spoilers, but I would appreciate if you could give me as less spoilerish an answer as you could. Like, no specifics about the result of the process in terms of plot. Just if I should go with it, and if there's any permanent negative side-effect to it.

Brohan

Wait, so invading also takes into account the upgrade level of your items? How does it work exactly? Level +- 10 lvl difference + weapon level or something?

I'm SL 37 with a +4 weapon and was about to upgrade it to +5.. but i guess i should wait then?

Mindlog

The patch for Monday, April 18th does say Great Sword tweaks are on the list.

I mean they can't make Great Swords any worse right?

XFB3OvK.jpg
Curious.

I'll probably dump more points in STR with the option to go Quality later.

I'm wrecking (early game boss)
abyss watchers
with my zwei.

Xeteh

UGH, this game is making me so salty. Its driving me nuts how wide arcing certain enemies swings are while being seemingly impervious to stagger. Even after beating the game its still driving me nuts.

Hakkuei

Is there no way to summon/be invaded after beating the area boss? It was one of the few improvements in DS2 so I really don't understand why they'd remove that.

Is the Dark Sword really as good as they say?

And should I make it a Heavy if I'm a STR build right now? I can always do a Quality build with a respec if that suits the sword better.

Also, another question: What happens when I buff my weapon with a Resin? Let's say I have a Heavy Dark Sword, and I buff it with a Gold Pine Resin. What actually happens with the stats? Do I get my usual stats + lightning on top of it?

Sanctuary

Cathedral.

Other way around is a waste of time.

No it's not. Although it's still good to do Cathedral first, at least to grab the
Poisonbite ring, and the bone dust
. If for whatever reason, you're masochistic and trying to play as a "pure" ranged Sorcery build at that point, you'll definitely want to go through Farron first.

UGH, this game is making me so salty. Its driving me nuts how wide arcing certain enemies swings are while being seemingly impervious to stagger. Even after beating the game its still driving me nuts.

It's funny reading posts that talk about how the combat is so shitty in Dark Souls 2 compared to this, yet this game has so many of the same issues, if not more. Even without the agility requirement to have i-frames, the dodge is still way worse than in Demon's and the first Dark Souls. You get clipped by enemies that read inputs, or do the train station turntable swings that track you. Then there's the seemingly infinite stamina enemies that just keep attacking, like the later Knights with the tower shields.

I'm at the top of that hill with the alter where you do the
path of the dragon gesture and get that treasure
Is that all that is up there? Where to next?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Covenant progression question (involving covenant NPC dying)
When does the Old Wolf of Farron die? I don't want to go too far into the game, and killing it before farming the grass.

pa22word

No it's not. Although it's still good to do Cathedral first, at least to grab the
Poisonbite ring, and the bone dust

Yeah, it is. What's going to poison you in the cathedral, when bleed is the chief effect? Do you really need that bone dust so badly to beat the easiest boss in the game?

It's a waste of time in conceivable way, nothing but a false choice the developers gave you to make you feel like the game is less linear than it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom