• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iorv3th

I had Watchdogs on when I was in the forest a few days ago and I was around level 30 to high 40s. Since then I've had Sentinels on since high 40s to where I'm currently at which is level 64 or so.

No summons for either but I got invaded earlier by some AF guys. :(

Yeah I just got invaded by AF guys. I don't think way of blue works when it's a covenant invasion like that, only for red eye orbs. I did have way of blue on and it did nothing.

ZangBa

Yep, that last optional boss is going to take some attempts. I really have to hand it to From, I didn't think they could make a boss fight with a worse camera view than the Centipede Demon, or some of the BB chalice dungeon fights, but this may be The One of Legend.

I'm pretty sure my sword was going through it's neck without damaging it, but that could be the brain damage I suffered.

Yeah the camera there is a work of art. Sucks, too, because I legitimately love the boss desgin-wise. You were probably whiffing swings because he was moving, that fight really fucks with depth perception.

Vire

Hey Lost Izalith was really fun last time, let's do that again, except this time make it a maze where everything looks the same.

/said no one ever.

Man Dark Souls 3 you were doing so well up until this point.

Can anyone connect online?

Edit: error on my end

Edit 2: I've made a huge mistake playing through almost to the end without burning the undead bones.

Aces&Eights

So, for people doing a quality build, what is an acceptable vigor stat? I am more leaning to strength and keeping dex around 18 but cannot decide if it's better to raise endurance to get more swings or to level up vigor to increase equip load, thereby, giving more roll for my buck.

EDIT: As for those having connection issues; I've been online on PS4 all day (about 7 hours) and I have had no problem summoning and been invaded quite frequently.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So, for people doing a quality build, what is an acceptable vigor stat? I am more leaning to strength and keeping dex around 18 but cannot decide if it's better to raise endurance to get more swings or to level up vigor to increase equip load, thereby, giving more roll for my buck.

I've got Dex at 18, Strength at 24, Vigor at 21, and Endurance at 17. Focusing on Endurance and Vigor for now as I still haven't found a better weapon than my Broadsword +3.

Sarcasm

I would see which one gives more bang per stat which you can see on the level up pane.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game a few hours ago and killed all bosses including the optional ones. By the time I got to the very end, the final two bosses were pretty much a cakewalk.

I do get the same feeling of accomplishment though from beating it like I did from BB, and I'm pretty sure at this point I can get through the game a lot quicker with a different build now that I know where the fuck to go. I do still have some difficulty with those goddamn knights though...

I didn't get ALL the items to my chagrin, nor did I kill the NPCs for their goodies and do a lot of other stuff, but eh, an end's an end.

You're going to need Health and Stamina. I've been taking it easy on leveling Vitality for now. But my HP is a bit over 1000 and my stamina is at about 130. I'd say I'm at a good place to branch out into other stats now like DEX and VIT.

(I'm mainly an STR build currently at 69)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thanks! Also wondering, I have the
firekeepers eyes will giving them to the lady fuck anything up
?

Giving them? No

Anwsering her question after? Yes, its how you get one of the endings

Zocano

Covenants are a shit show in Dark Souls 3.
3 Covenants that could basically be one, and no special covenants like the Hard Mode or Rat Covenant (Rat 4 lyfe)

RAT BROS REPRESENT

Dark Souls 2's covenants, though a bit flawed, were probably the best overall compared to any of the other games (BB's were a really weird poor attempt at a "new" method). I just wish the rat bro areas were somewhat mandatory like the forest hunters and watchdogs.

Saganator

Decided to give mouse and keyboard controls a shot because the L1 button my DS4 kinda sticks, and I hate the Xbox controller for Souls games.

Pleasantly surprised. I'm actually much more comfortable with KB/mouse overall, so once I figured out the buttons, it just clicked with me. I feel much more confident going into each fight now and mouse control for the camera is great.

Grexeno

Any tips how to approach the encounter with
the big witch person and the horde of mooks in Hemwick Charn I mean the Undead Settlement? I've been shooting all the mooks with my bow, but then the big witch just wrecks me.

Yeah the camera there is a work of art. Sucks, too, because I legitimately love the boss desgin-wise. You were probably whiffing swings because he was moving, that fight really fucks with depth perception.

Figures, I killed him as soon as I posted that. The spectacle of phase 1 was awesome. The actual battle of phase 2 was fantastic. That will go down as one of my favorite fights for sure, it's just too bad about the camera to start things off.

Guess that's all the bosses down. Maybe I'll hit up NG+ and hope they buff magic in the patch before playing a new guy. I didn't use a single spell, loved magic in DkS1, and would like to give that a shot, but I've been reading some bad things about it.

Jrmint

Any tips how to approach the encounter with
the big witch person and the horde of mooks in Hemwick Charn I mean the Undead Settlement? I've been shooting all the mooks with my bow, but then the big witch just wrecks me.
You can approach a lot of the weak guys from behind without pulling the entire pack. The fat witch doesn't aggro until you attack one of the ones in the inner circle.

Aces&Eights

You're going to need Health and Stamina. I've been taking it easy on leveling Vitality for now. But my HP is a bit over 1000 and my stamina is at about 130. I'd say I'm at a good place to branch out into other stats now like DEX and VIT.

(I'm mainly an STR build currently at 69)

Can you elaborate a bit on how you scaled to the point you're at? I am a level 31. Entering Cathederal and have a bonfire right outside the swamp. I have my strength to 21, endurance about 17, vitality at about 18 and vigor to about 19. What do you recommend just pumping up for the next 10-15 levels? Or maybe keep cross pollenating and level them up together?

I am not a big fan of the UGS, either. I like one handing fast to medium swords and rolling. I've laways done pure dex so I'm trying to change it up but two hand UGS are just so slooooow.

Grexeno

You can approach a lot of the weak guys from behind without pulling the entire pack. The fat witch doesn't aggro until you attack one of the ones in the inner circle.
Any tips for the fat witch herself? She's yet another massive enemy who just throws out long combos with reckless abandon.

Elixist

Hey Lost Izalith was really fun last time, let's do that again, except this time make it a maze where everything looks the same.

/said no one ever.

Man Dark Souls 3 you were doing so well up until this point.

ya the maze design is alright, lots of illusion walls which are pretty fun, but the graphics are boring af , felt phoned in almost like padding. its like they tried to evoke Depths, but failed cuz what made that area so great is theres tons of unique rooms, not so claustrophobic with one color.

knitoe

Guess, there's no way to save NPC
Greirat. I cleared / killed bosses in the Lothric Castle and Grand Archives before sending him out. He still died.

Korosenai

Holy shit i'm getting summoned like crazy as an A
ldrich
Faithful. I wish the fucking watchdogs would work like this for me, that covenant has summoned me a total of 0 times compared to the faithful which has summoned me twice in 5 minutes.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
The multiplayer features in this game are hilariously awesome when they work.

The first time I invaded, it was someone with a phantom helping him. Managed to kill the phantom but by that time a blue sentinel had shown up, heh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Any tips for the fat witch herself? She's yet another massive enemy who just throws out long combos with reckless abandon.

Dodge roll behind and backstab. Or just circle strafe blocking if youre beefy enough to take the hits (watch the grab tho)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I am right with you. Sometimes it's just incredibly fun to troll people.

It really is. I'm having a blast as a Mound Maker. I like to help people if I get summoned...gradually earning their trust...but then usually something snaps and I can't help going for the kill.
It's so funny to think they must always be keeping an eye on this suspicious purple madman.

Doesn't always go swimmingly, though.

With this game, more than any Souls to date, I'm having so much fun with both PvP and co-op. It's great being able to swap covenants so easily, with no penalty.

Rhaknar

Guess, there's no way to save NPC
Greirat. I cleared / killed bosses in the Lothric Castle and Grand Archives before sending him out. He still died.

He
doesnt die if youve done Siegfried's quest apparently

Jrmint

Yea I hear ya. I try to get a couple attacks in and then back off and line of sight her magic spell, it hurts like hell.

There will be a few more of those witches in the zone you're in, but most of them can be killed with the bow at long range before they can get to you.

Aces&Eights

Soften her up with some arrows then when going in for melee WAIT until she has just casted. A fire will cause her to lurch forward but not by much and that is a great window to land a couple hits. If you want to totally cheese there is a window in the building you come out of before her you can stand and shoot arrows at her. If melee, just dont stand infront to block. Always, always be behind her.

ExVicis

ya the maze design is alright, lots of illusion walls which are pretty fun, but the graphics are boring af , felt phoned in almost like padding. its like they tried to evoke Depths, but failed cuz what made that area so great is theres tons of unique rooms, not so claustrophobic with one color.

I enjoyed the callback at first and assumed eventually it would open up. I thought to myself "Finally, they get a chance to go back and do Izalith right!" Nope. Just tight hallways filled with enemies that have grab attacks.

knitoe

He
doesnt die if youve done Siegfried's quest apparently
That's only for sending him out the 2nd time in the Boreal Valley. The third time Lothric Castle, I tried to save him by first clearing the areas he was going. Didn't work.

pa22word

Hey I was just wondering if covenants punish you for bailing on them? Like I've already donated 20 sunlight medals to the shrine in lothric, but if I join another cov in order to activate it for later will that reset my count?

Anyone know a good place to farm Titanite Chunks?

They're all over the place in lothric castle. The knights drop them too.

Korosenai

A
ldrich
Faithful Summons: 3
Total amount of time: 10 minutes

Watchdogs Summons: 0
Total amount of time: hours and hours

Shits broke From, fix it.

Rhaknar

That's only for sending him out the 2nd time. The third time, I tried to save him by first clearing the areas he was going. Didn't work.

I didnt know there was a third time lol. He
died on the second for me :/

Can anyone give a brief explanation of gems and weapon scaling in this game? I've looked it up but a few things seem off to me.
I'll use my weapon for example, right now I have a uchigatana +4. The damage shows 161 + 35 with D scaling on strength and c on dex. Is the +35 based off scaling? Is there a figure that shows total damage with scaling?
I noticed if I put in a raw gem it removes scaling but brings the total to about 200 damage. This seems good with a +4 but would be a downgraded at higher levels of the scaling improves, but without knowing how much damage the scaling is adding it's hard to figure that out.

DSmalls84

Wow
Boreal Valley
talk about a difficulty spike lol. I felt like I was cruising along with minimal deaths until now. Really forcing me to use ranged items to start pulling enemies.

I feel like the S
moldering Lake
area is what most people assume Souls is from the "hardest game ever!!!!" hype lol

I
rithyll is a huge pain in the ass. It's just one road with constant roadblocks of bullshit.
Have to get good, as usual

Spent all day with either Blue Sentinel or watchdog covenant on and have never been summoned. Know it's not my level since if I go to the road of sacrifice or farron's keep and use my red eye orb I get instant invasion.

goblin

Hey I was just wondering if covenants punish you for bailing on them? Like I've already donated 20 sunlight medals to the shrine in lothric, but if I join another cov in order to activate it for later will that reset my count?

As far as I can tell you don't even abandon covenants. If you join them all you can just hot-swap at will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom