• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakkuei

It takes me 2 seconds tops to invade the forest and yet I've never been summoned for the Watchdogs even once, this makes absolutely 0 sense. They better fix that shit tonight.

onionfrog

Where am I supposed to go after defeating Y
horm
(boss)

Does the P
rofaned Capital
(area) lead anywhere? Or did I just miss a branching path in a previous area?

Korosenai

It takes me 2 seconds tops to invade the forest and yet I've never been summoned for the Watchdogs even once, this makes absolutely 0 sense. They better fix that shit tonight.

Yeah, watchdogs are fucking broke. This needs to be more widespread news so From can look into it.

goblin

Where am I supposed to go after defeating Y
horm
(boss)

Does the P
rofaned Capital
(area) lead anywhere? Or did I just miss a branching path in a previous area?

That area is a dead end, but
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
leads to both the Dungeons and another area that you might've missed.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Invading and joining someone in coop is instant for me. Yet, I have never been able to summon anyone into my world.

Sarcasm

Can anyone give a brief explanation of gems and weapon scaling in this game? I've looked it up but a few things seem off to me.
I'll use my weapon for example, right now I have a uchigatana +4. The damage shows 161 + 35 with D scaling on strength and c on dex. Is the +35 based off scaling? Is there a figure that shows total damage with scaling?
I noticed if I put in a raw gem it removes scaling but brings the total to about 200 damage. This seems good with a +4 but would be a downgraded at higher levels of the scaling improves, but without knowing how much damage the scaling is adding it's hard to figure that out.

There should be math formulas on the wiki. I will let you know something there is an item that removes infused gems thus restoring scaling.

Can anyone give a brief explanation of gems and weapon scaling in this game? I've looked it up but a few things seem off to me.
I'll use my weapon for example, right now I have a uchigatana +4. The damage shows 161 + 35 with D scaling on strength and c on dex. Is the +35 based off scaling? Is there a figure that shows total damage with scaling?
I noticed if I put in a raw gem it removes scaling but brings the total to about 200 damage. This seems good with a +4 but would be a downgraded at higher levels of the scaling improves, but without knowing how much damage the scaling is adding it's hard to figure that out.

Go to status for your total attack rating

I don't think I ever got invaded. :( On PS4.

Netcode is overall kinda just a step over GFWL DS1 sadly, DS2 on PC on other hand was smooth as hell.

Dark Souls 2's always been horrible for me while not having much issues other than lag stabs in Dark Souls.

3AF93A17D865D5D433C45A9CDB6EDFEED6C9781B

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I know it is a part of the game but I can't help but exasperatedly sigh whenever I see someone invading my game.

This game is hard enough without pricks coming in trying to off me, sometimes in the shadiest way possible, *sigh*.

I know it is a part of the game but I can't help but exasperatedly sigh whenever I see someone invading my game.

This game is hard enough without pricks coming in trying to off me, sometimes in the shadiest way possible, *sigh*.
I'm a shitton of hours in and not a single person has invaded me :/

I kind of want it.

UberLevi

I FINALLY managed to find an outfit that I like better than the ensemble I've been using since like 10 hours in. Sitting somewhere between 45 and 50 hours and currently trudging through the G
rand
A
rchives
. Been way too long since I upgraded my wardrobe. Feels nice to put on a new outfit.

jett

D-Member
I believe I'm done with Boreal Valley?
I don't like it when these areas end in dead-ends. I guess I have to go the dungeon in this area. Meh. I don't like these cramped up areas at all.

I really wish this game wasn't so cryptic and nondescript in its storytelling. I feel like I'm doign something important, but I have no idea what. I read the wiki about some questlines and I'm like what.

Veelk

Banned

Which is why I play offline. I mean, I don't have PS+ as of now anyway, but even if I did, I'd rather play offline than have to deal with that nonsense. Especially since I am pushing through the game with a Greatsword. I got enough problems against the E, I don't need the P.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!

More often than not I get paired with a 3v1 when I invade.

Soulflarz

Banned
the best part about endgame and not leveling is all my souls just can go towards stuff like you know, armor sets I never got and stuff?

By the end she sells probably 500,000 worth of armor, at least.

Zeliard

And why there is AN EXACT CLONE OF BLUE SENTINELS THAT IS NOT DIFFERENT IN ANYWAY.

Yeah Blades of the Darkmoon is disappointing. Not only are the currency and rewards identical to Blue Sentinels, but I'm never summoned to defend people invaded by AF covenant despite that supposedly being part of the point. As some others have said, they should make it so hosts who are invaded by AF search for a Darkmoon member without needing Way of Blue equipped.

AF invasions are instant which is great, but often 2v1 against the host, which imo makes them less fun.

zma1013

So uhh, in the C
atacombs
i think i screwed myself out of a weapon. The
mimic
there is supposed to drop the
black blade
but it died and fell over the edge in a way that has the item hovering in mid air. I cant get to it. Its just an item in mid air.

Zophar

Quick new game plus question: if you beat it and watch an ending, do you have the option of delaying NG+ like in DS2? Or do you get kicked right into it?

I don't like it when these areas end in dead-ends. I guess I have to go the dungeon in this area. Meh. I don't like these cramped up areas at all.

I really wish this game wasn't so cryptic and nondescript in its storytelling. I feel like I'm doign something important, but I have no idea what. I read the wiki about some questlines and I'm like what.

Have you fought the boss in that area. That's one path you're talking about. The other ends fairly definitively

Vire

Would be cool if there was some Square Enix style cgi cutscenes after momentus occasions when defeating bosses that helped expound upon the story.

mulac

What are the soft-caps for stats? I've got mine at:

Health = 22
End = 20
Strength = 24
Dex = 19

Obviously a strength build...

pwnage2u

Banned
Hey I was just wondering if covenants punish you for bailing on them? Like I've already donated 20 sunlight medals to the shrine in lothric, but if I join another cov in order to activate it for later will that reset my count?

They're all over the place in lothric castle. The knights drop them too.

I been killing these knights for an hour and no chunks.

goblin

You've pretty much got it. The first number is your weapon's base damage, which only increases with its upgrade level (+X) while the second number is the bonus damage it's adding derived from whatever stats it scales off of. If you open up your status screen it'll show your totaled attack power for each of your hands' three slots.

Using a raw gem will increase the base damage of a weapon but remove all scaling, so you're correct that it becomes less useful on a per-weapon basis as you put points into the appropriate scaling stats. Other gems will be more or less useful for you depending on what your build is by changing around which stats the weapon scales off of and to what degree.

So uhh, in the C
atacombs
mimic
black blade
but it died and fell over the edge in a way that has the item hovering in mid air. I cant get to it. Its just an item in mid air.

Try save-quitting and then loading back into the game where you killed the mimic?

Quick new game plus question: if you beat it and watch an ending, do you have the option of delaying NG+ like in DS2? Or do you get kicked right into it?

You can opt to delay it and then activate it from the Firelink bonfire later.

I thought I'd be too burnt out on Sous to enjoy this since I played a ton of Bloodborne and played DS2 a few months ago, but I'm loving it so far. The difficulty seems a little off, the knight guys in the first area were really hard for me and the enemies in the area after the first boss are a lot more manageable. Great other than that so far though. Really glad that simply strafing around enemies and waiting for them to whiff an attack seems a lot less effective than it was in DS2.

I just rage-quit, I got slaughtered by
what appeared to be a miniature version of the first boss
in the second main area and it had been a really long time since I'd been to a bonfire. I think I know a way to get back there quickly though. I'm not sure I'll be able to take it out though.

Is the
huge tree boss
in that area optional? I watched it for awhile before it killed me in one hit, it seems doable if you're really, really patient, but I was doing next to no damage and it seems like you really need to stay on your toes. I'll probably just save it for later if there's no pressing reason to do it now.

Can you give an example of "cheap hard" because I can't think of any. "Fun and challenging" was pretty much the entire game for me, some early easy bosses aside.

A lot of the "challenge" comes from enemies (bosses in particular) having huge combos that seemingly laugh in the face of a stamina bar. Given that these are mainly designed to kill you in one go (stunlock you into submission) I'd call it "cheap hard".
Dancer's eight-hit combo
being an example I can think of (I'm actually having a hard time coming up with specifics, as very little was memorable to me -- sorry).

Stinkers?

Really?

Come on.

The way people peddle their hyperbole on this forum like god given truth is maddening sometimes.

I don't know how you can call it a stinker, even the worst Souls game is better than the majority out there by far, and this game is no exception.

Both of you missed a critical word in my post:
"After two relative stinkers in a row [...]"

Dark Souls II and Dark Souls III are stinkers relative to the original Dark Souls, in my opinion. I wasn't calling them stinkers in general -- they're still better than most other games. That's just my opinion (and reading through the thread, others seem to be disappointed as well) so there's no reason to get worked up over it -- if you enjoy DS3, more power to you. It just didn't live up to what I wanted as a true sequel to Dark Souls.

So uhh, in the C
atacombs
mimic
black blade

I don't want to say anything for sure but I bit it a few times on the other fellow in that area after I activated the
mimic
and had him take a few swipes at the other fellow. Each time I died I'd come back the item would be where the
mimic
was originally.

Vire

I thought I'd be too burnt out on Sous to enjoy this since I played a ton of Bloodborne and played DS2 a few months ago, but I'm loving it so far.

in the second main area and it had been a really long time since I'd been to a bonfire. I think I know a way to get back there quickly though. I'm not sure I'll be able to take it out though.

Is the
huge tree boss
in that area optional? I watched it for awhile before it killed me in one hit, it seems doable if you're really, really patient, but I was doing next to no damage and it seems like you really need to stay on your toes. I'll probably just save it for later if there's no pressing reason to do it now.

It's one of those bosses where you do a little damage on most parts of the body. and then you hit its weak point and it does a metric shit ton of damage.

It's not too bad actually.

I thought I'd be too burnt out on Sous to enjoy this since I played a ton of Bloodborne and played DS2 a few months ago, but I'm loving it so far.

Is the
huge tree boss
He is mandatory(or maybe not? Still you should kill him for his item), also don't worry about damage, he has a very common boss gimick(just remember one of the higlights from the ps3 price announcement conference way back when) you'll figure it out

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Is the
huge tree boss

Its a gimmick boss. If you want specifics
hit the various white eggsacks when they burst it does massive dmg

And yes its optional although I hate calling bosses optional.

Edit: wait he's not optional? What does he drop then? You can move on to the right side door without fighting him

Get'sMad

lol invading in a
rchdragon peak
near the bonfire that leads to the
nameless king
fight...couldn't find the guy so I hopped down in that area that leads to the boss and he wasn't there and you can't get back out so I'm just stuck here. another guy just invaded and is looking for him now too lol. just lying down under the bell doing the stretch gesture.

Its a gimmick boss. If you want specifics
hit the various white eggsacks when they burst it does massive dmg

And yes its optional although I hate calling bosses optional.

Edit: wait he's not optional? What does he drop then? You can move on to the right side door without fighting him
I thought you had to have
the Kiln
since they even write it down in front of the doors, but I guess not, it never occured to me that you could go through the entire game without it.

It's one of those bosses where you do a little damage on most parts of the body. and then you hit its weak point and it does a metric shit ton of damage.

It's not too bad actually.

Maybe I'll try again later. I noticed that
hitting it from behind
doesn't do any damage. I did
hit it's egg sac things in front
but I guess I wasn't timing it right?

MrHoot

I can't express my love enough for the dark sword in new game +.

It's so ridiculously good. The speed, just the right amount of range, the moveset, the scaling. BOOTIFOOL

If they nerf it i'm gonna be so sad because it trounces every other weapon i've used. And i've been so disappointed with greatsword and ultra greatsword. It's kinda of one thing that BB did incredibly well while there were less weapons, all of them felt useful and had a place while here there's just so much weapons where i'm just "Yeah okay" and into the trash/box/old lady it goes

Raw64life

Aldrich is giving me some serious trouble. Better call for backup...

Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom
Unable to Summon Phantom

Hopefully part of Monday's patch update is fixing this but I doubt it.

What exactly is a "mad" phantom, or whatever they're called? I found a few summon signs and got a prompt asking if I was sure I wanted to summon because they were mad or berserk or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Maybe I'll try again later. I noticed that
hitting it from behind
doesn't do any damage. I did
hit it's egg sac things in front
but I guess I wasn't timing it right?

They have to burst to do dmg

What exactly is a "mad" phantom, or whatever they're called? I found a few summon signs and got a prompt asking if I was sure I wanted to summon because they were mad or berserk or something.

Its a player that can attack you as a enemy if he so chooses. And he will :3

Soulflarz

Banned
I feel like DS3 kind of has a pointless platinum like DS1
I dunno, bloodborne did it really well, where it was all these useful things need to be found
DS3 is back to a damn long checklist

MrHoot

Basically a phantom that can attack you as well as the enemies and invaders. A "no fucks given" phantom.

A spectre jester if you will.

They can't do bosses with you tho

Rhaknar

Im shocked more people arent talking about the password system for summons which makes co-op with friends finally viable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom