• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
spoilers on my least favorite boss Y
orhm the giant
basically the biggest gimmick ever. but using that wind sword to fuck his shit up was satisfying
still beat it on the first try

spoilers on my favorite boss fight. Dan
cer of the valley

hands down one of my favorite fights in a souls game. everything was just awesome. also was the hardest since it took me 5-6 full tries.

MrHoot

While my gripes about some of the enemy design as well as nerf of UGS/slow weapon and heavy armor remains, one thing i'm SUPER glad is back is just the npc questlines, and their life basicaly just "happening" outside of your reach. It's something that hasn't really happened since Dark Souls 1 and I'm glad it made a return, even if it can be pretty obtuse. BB tried a bit but it felt very light for most npcs and Dark Souls 2 just had them all stationned at Majula

CHC

I will agree that this game has some of the hardest actual levels in the series though.

Holy jesus C
athedral
of the D
eep
was really one of the most wicked zones in any From game.... Ambushes at every turn and just so many ways to die. I loved it, but fuck it took me like 4 hours just to systematically clear that whole place.

Are you fucking kidding me? I'm supposed to defeat
The King of the Storm and then the king himself straight after. How the fuck am I supposed to do that when the first fight is so bullshit that I lose all my estus? There has to be something I'm missing, right?

First off, you'll get used to the initial phase after some attempts and manage to do it using 0-2 flasks at most. A weapon with long reach is preferable here. Secondly, make sure to increase lightning defense everywhere you can. Lastly, while you can use a shield with high lightning defense, don't rely on it too much. It's the toughest fight in the game, so don't worry too much about dying a lot; you'll get it in time.

spoilers on my favorite boss fight. Dan
cer of the valley

hands down one of my favorite fights in a souls game. everything was just awesome. also was the hardest since it took me 5-6 full tries.

Agreed.

It wasn't specific. It just mentioned 3 or 4 weapons that were rebalanced. It mentions it in the system notice on the title screen that pops up after logging in.

The notice just says that regulation 1.04 is schedule to release on the 18th =P.

Looks like it released 2 hours ago though according to Fromsoft Twitter. So where's the info!?

Bowlie

Banned
End-game question, since I'm confused; only click this if you have finished the game, please:

As vague as possible, what do I do after gaining the Fire Keeper's Eyes? Giving/not giving to the Fire Keeper made no apparent change in both shrines. Did I miss a path to a new area?

Aldrich is giving me some serious trouble. Better call for backup...

I solo'd him. Took me four tries, but he's fairly predictable. Try to get behind him and swing away at the latter part of his tail (to avoid damage when he teleports) and then immediately head toward the furthest corner from where you are, because that's where he'll reappear. Just watch out for his sword rain, because that shit will fuck you up.

Ogawa-san

So I'm reading the DS3 wiki about a few questlines.

Seriously, how is anyone supposed to figure any of this shit out.
I'm still bitter for screwing an ending by just walking past a room, 10h in. Just reading about
Irina's
sidequest makes my head spin, I mean it's super clever but how the hell do you figure it out before screwing it up and having to start over?

Souls games are cryptic, but I swear DS3 has some of the most absurd stuff. I want to hear from the first guy that figured out
how to get to Archdragon Peak

CHC

"Adjustments" to Greatsword better damn well mean "buffs." I have equally upgraded Greataxe and Greatsword and there is just no comparison, axe wipes the floors with fools, Greatsword not so much.

TheFlow

Banned
I solo'd him. Took me four tries, but he's fairly predictable. Try to get behind him and swing away at the latter part of his tail (to avoid damage when he teleports) and then immediately head toward the furthest corner from where you are, because that's where he'll reappear. Just watch out for his sword rain, because that shit will fuck you up.

3 tries on him. but why does he look like a girl to me.

definitely one of the better boss fights in the game

"Adjustments" to Greatsword better damn well mean "buffs." I have equally upgraded Greataxe and Greatsword and there is just no comparison, axe wipes the floors with fools, Greatsword not so much.
pretty much, the hammers and axes in this game are the superior choice for anybody who is running a strength build.

End-game question, since I'm confused; only click this if you have finished the game, please:

As vague as possible, what do I do after gaining the Fire Keeper's Eyes? Giving/not giving to the Fire Keeper made no apparent change in both shrines. Did I miss a path to a new area?

if you give her the eyes and then answer her question, you open up a possible second ending
No new area.

All it does is give you an additional option at the very end of the game for the actual ending.

Baliis

The amount of people who run into the D
ragonslayer Armour
and immediately get two shot on his initial charge is pretty crazy.

Bosses. I agree that the levels/regular enemies seem to ramp up considerably faster than in most previous games. My first death was to the spear Lothric knight in High Wall before the Estus Shard. Dude fucked me the hell up. And I didn't even bother with the patrolling knights outside Vordt's room. The female Fat Officials in Undead Settlement are also exceptionally dangerous for early game enemies, as are the halberd and giant axe-wielding Hollows.

Players should be able to pick up items dropped by other players in the same session IIRC.

I died on the first boss once and the second boss once, but I died a crapton on the High Wall level to various enemies, and once falling off of a ledge haha. I was scared as hell for the climax of the level with the knights all over the place, but my ADD forced me to kill them all. I can't believe I survived it in one go. I only died on boss 2 once as well. And then after him I went back to the area in the cemetery that says turn back now and that ice dude kicked my ass pretty hard... I just wanted to get a sense for what level I might need to be at to take him on.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far. It helps that I've only beat each game in the series a single time, so I'm not fatigued by the franchise. Onto the next area now :).

MrHoot

I will agree that this game has some of the hardest actual levels in the series though.

Holy jesus C
athedral
of the D
eep
was really one of the most wicked zones in any From game.... Ambushes at every turn and just so many ways to die. I loved it, but fuck it took me like 4 hours just to systematically clear that whole place.

I remember being miffed about that zone the first time around.
Boy did it go on a lot. I remember being a phantom helping a guy around. We didn't really know where to go to get to the boss. We explored everywhere, found even like secret shortcuts and everything. Turns out you just had to run past the giant....but still, that place is stupidly huge and it takes hours just to sweep it, with lot's of enemies everywhere, including these horrible huge knights on the top scaffolding

In new game+ tho it should go swimmingly

KHlover

Banned
I'm still bitter for screwing an ending by just walking past a room, 10h in. Just reading about
Irina's
sidequest makes my head spin, I mean it's super clever but how the hell do you figure it out before screwing it up and having to start over?

Souls games are cryptic, but I swear DS3 has some of the most absurd stuff. I want to hear from the first guy that figured out
Bet he read the Prima guide equivalent :p

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The bonfire in
Rosarias Bechamber
won't ignite for me. Bug or am I missing something?

Never mind, I guess I figured it out.
Blob thing wasn't hurting nobody.

Fhtagn

Irina's

honestly that one seems obvious to me; I saw those guys and noticed they are alive if you hit them and I tried a couple gestures right then and there. I didn't want to trial and error the gesture so I waited till later to ask GAF about what point I'd have the gesture... And yeah it made a lot of sense that it was the one it was.l
Bloodborne primed me for this however.

The npc quests are pretty nuts this time!

deim0s

So I got access to Irithyll the other day and decided to train myself in combat further...

And I realized all along its not really the bosses that infuriated me all this time, but it's the goddamn knights! Lothric, Black, the Sunbro-like, and these swirling knights. They're gonna crush you if you go ham (or didnt watch your stamina meter) with a slow sword.

Packing a straight sword now for these shits.

SoulUnison

Banned
Just got invaded by a shithead coward walking behind a powerful mob. I don't understand these people. At least alt + f4 exists.

You don't understand people using the systems the game provides them and doing what they can within the rules to give themselves an advantage to achieve the goal they're rewarded for? Thank goodness quitting without giving anything a chance and wasting both player's time exists?

Wait, what?

I'll never understand people who flock to and praise Souls games for their innovative multiplayer systems who then feel justified to whine that people are actually daring to *use* them and not, like, politely lose every time to make you feel better.

3 tries on him. but why does he look like a girl to me.

definitely one of the better boss fights in the game

Well his top part is actually
a boss from DS1 - Gwyndolin, who was raised as a girl since he was sickly and frail and the affinity for the moon or something like that

Yeah, watchdogs are fucking broke. This needs to be more widespread news so From can look into it.

It's all based on levels, AFAIK. I was overlevelled (like at 30s) in Farron or with too many upgraded items so I never could invade. The level cutoffs are likely more strict for Watchdogs vs normal invasion; so it'll be really easy to Red Eye invade in the swamp but impossible to Watchdogs. You'll only invade if someone high level is walking around the swamp while in Ember mode (so not likely). People who constantly get invasions are likely just due to their own low level.

I was underlevelled in Irythil or rather maybe my weapons were weaker. It let me invade constantly, with nary a second delay in between. Also a significant portion of that level is after the boss; so most players will get Embers from the boss, walk through the second part of Irythil and get invaded.

But really, you should just be able to get some kind of level adjustment to compensate.

Also the worst covenant is the Blue Sentinals covenant. NEVER been summoned, not once, despite keeping it active pretty much all the time.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
What's up with Miracles? The offensive ones, especially the higher level ones, take a really long time to cast and only affect a small area around you. How are these supposed to be realistically used? Seriously Miyazaki?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
N
ameless
K
ing

I can't do it, I can't beat this guy,

I died on the first boss once and the second boss once, but I died a crapton on the High Wall level to various enemies, and once falling off of a ledge haha. I was scared as hell for the climax of the level with the knights all over the place, but my ADD forced me to kill them all. I can't believe I survived it in one go. I only died on boss 2 once as well. And then after him I went back to the area in the cemetery that says turn back now and that ice dude kicked my ass pretty hard... I just wanted to get a sense for what level I might need to be at to take him on.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far. It helps that I've only beat each game in the series a single time, so I'm not fatigued by the franchise. Onto the next area now :).

For the giant crystal lizard in Cemetary of Ash I would advise just hanging back and letting him screw himself over. All of his attacks are blockable and have huge recovery windows. Many of them will also whiff if you stay on the move. Definitely worth killing him since he drops 4000 souls and some rare upgrade materials.

Ogawa-san

alright I gotta know, how do you get to the bottom of the c
atacomb of carthus
?
You mean way down there under the bridge
that can be broken
?

Once you get to the open area in Smouldering Lake, where the ballista fires at you, from the entrance go right and follow the wall. You'll find a cave (or two) that will lead there.

Fhtagn

Yeah, watchdogs are fucking broke. This needs to be more widespread news so From can look into it.

I did watchdogs to 30 wins in a matter of a few hours with constant auto invading. I was level 34 and had a +2 katana at most.

If you have better weapons than that, put them in storage. It's not just what you have equipped but what you could switch over to while invading.

Just got invaded by a shithead coward walking behind a powerful mob. I don't understand these people. At least alt + f4 exists.

Not to pile on, but here's the thing; this is a mind game. If it's a red phantom or a watchdog, doing this, just ignore them and keep on in the level. Baiting people to come near a knight, etc, is a trick. Don't fall for it. Don't let people determine the territory they fight on. You've likely cleared territory of enemies already so you should stick to that space and gradually expand it, not letting the red get the better of you.

Better yet, have way of blue equipped and auto summon help. The longer the red delays to bait you, the more likely you'll have two blues to help you. Then you gank them, the fair response to them trying to bait you.

MUnited83

For you.
man they really need to sort out the online issues. There's definetively something wrong going on. Sometimes I can be summoned and invade nonstop, then sometimes it's like the online is completely dead outside of the written messages. Like only being able to invade or summoned once in PVP hotspots or tougher bosses bonfires.. And then in the rare occasion i'm sucessful, half of the times it will spew a connection error...

N
ameless
K
ing

You have to get good at dodging, forget about using the shield as one of his attacks can go straight through it. Just keep in mind that most of his attacks are actually on a delay when you dodge, the only real issue are the thrusting attacks but you just have to get used to the tells for them.

Just curious, is there a place in the status menu that tells you how many Dark Sigils you have?

I think they actually show up in your inventory, in the tab with the keys and important items as far as I can remember, or maybe in some other tab.

I did watchdogs to 30 wins in a matter of a few hours with constant auto invading. I was level 34 and had a +2 katana at most.

If you have better weapons than that, put them in storage. It's not just what you have equipped but what you could switch over to while invading.

Same. At level 40 with a +4 weapon I was getting summons every 15-30 seconds.

MrHoot

Well his top part is actually
a boss from DS1 - Gwyndolin, who was raised as a girl since he was sickly and frail and the affinity for the moon or something like that

Oh my fucking god

I was wondering why Aldrich looked feminine while he was referred to as a he. How come I did not recognize Gwyndolin, i'm so fucking stupid

xanavi

N
ameless
K
ing

Stay in front of the head for phase 1 he's really harmless when you're there. Everyone I see having troubles with this boss tries to get in too close to the feet and neck area and as a result they can't see the attacks coming in.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
You mean way down there under the bridge
that can be broken
?

Once you get to the open area in Smouldering Lake, where the ballista fires at you, from the entrance go right and follow the wall. You'll find a cave (or two) that will lead there.

ah I thought I explored that whole place , guess I missed

Rizzi

I love that the "same region" matchmaking doesn't actually match you with people from the same region. That's the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom