• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppen

Banned
Beat the game. Level 96. F
irelink
Greatsword acquired, looks hella boss and has a great special attack. Hopefully if they fix greatswords it'll be usable. Though I guess I'm probably going to take a break from the game until the DLC hits since I'm not starting NG+

Edzi

I finished the game. I found every subsequent bosses to be easier than him mostly because they don't freaking attack for 10 hours.

Bosses like
Dancer, Dragonslayer armor, Nameless King and Gundyr I really enjoyed. They're hard, but they all have a manageable rythm once you read them and they're pretty adapted to a variety of playstyles, and mostly Souls style

Pontiff has just too much bullshit. He's manageable but with a pretty narrow set of conditions compared to other bosses and still is hard as fuck

I think for me is just that it's related to one of the complaints we were discussing earlier: Some builds who used to be viable are just way too inadequate for the game at the moment. I'm sure now that I know how to get him in New Game + it'll be manageable but i'm just annoyed at how restrictive he is and yet still so punishing

Exactly. He could fit well into bloodborne because then you could get an easier parry openings on him, while still maintaining an appropriate challenge. Sadly, this is Souls which is why it aggravates me.

Eh, I honestly don't think he was that bad, and he's far from being unfair. Try dodging left (his right) to avoid most of his attacks, if I remember correctly.

I don't think any boss was unfair tbh, some just required more adjustment to their style than others.

Edzi

The D
ragonslayer
A
mour
looks a lot more appropriate for someone who was supposedly the
leader of the Four Knights, and it also confirms that the Ornstein in DS1 was an illusion
, which then ties into the N
ameless
K
ing
lore.

Personally, I liked its inclusion in the game, and the fight intro itself is really interesting lore-wise.

How does it confirm anything? I feel like I'm missing something here, he was clearly meant to sort of resemble O
rnstein
, but that's probably because he was just another
dragonslayer
no? I didn't see anything in his soul/item descriptions that would connect him to O
rnstein.

I haven't gotten to N
amless King
though, so maybe it's connected to that.

The Lamp

Cathedral of the Deep. Damn folks. That's some intense level design.

But FUCK fighting knights at the top scaffolding though.

I'm finally getting some decency as a Mage build.

Grisby

Got through A
nor Londo
and beat A
ldy
after two tries. Felt pretty proud of myself.

Proceeded to see other dudes get wrecked. The
Darkmoon
covenant doesn't seem to be workling very well. Never got summoned.

Decided to finish off the night by co-op with some folks to fight A
ldritch
but out of 6 summons we've only killed him once.

Please don't run straight at him when arrows are falling.

Please don't hit him when he is teleporting away.

Please.
Ima gonna run into those a
rrows
. Yep. Watch me go sunnnnnnnnbros.

Dodged a lot? :/

It was the hardest boss in the game to solo imo, well not counting the ones I didnt solo lol. By the way the third boss I summoned for was NK obviously

Oh no shit? Why dont people ever mention him then? Its always the same
NK/Pontiff/Dancer
trio with splashes of
Abyss Watchers
and
Crystal Sage
early on that people bitch about. So I just assumed he was easy and I was just having a bad day / just wanted to be done with the game at that point.

Dodge in first form. Abuse the Pillars in second form.
Yeah, I had the first phase down pact. The second phase was intense until I realized the lower left pillar was a 100% shield to her attacks.

UberLevi

I know that my Refined Lothric Sword +10 is objectively better, but there's something thematically awesome about using the L
othric
H
oly
Sword. Plus is just looks plain cool.

Guess I can afford to give up some stats for Fashion Souls.

dmr87

HOLY FUCK

HOLY FUCK

HOLY FUCK

(5th boss spoilers?)

I just fought the
Abyss Watchers
for the first time, and it came down to ONE HIT. THE BOSS AND I KILL EACH OTHER AT THE EXACT SAME TIME. I'm staring at my screen in disbelief, adrenaline going haywire. The boss's soul is dissipating, but my character's death screen is coming up. I GET THE ACHIEVEMENT, respawn at a bonfire, confirm I've collected the soul, and I FUCKING LOSE MY MIND.

Holy shit, I didn't even think that was possible. If that isn't the most epic ending to the most epic boss fight in this game (good God the music, what an AMAZING theme), then I don't know what is.

I'm so amped right now, I couldn't wait to share.

The magic of these games right here, one of a kind.

Man are people desperate summoning at W
olnir
I get summoned as soon as I put my sign.
I think it's because it's a buggy fight. Once when I was summoned there was no lighting effects from the bracelets so basically I was fighting a shadow in a unlit room. Another time his HP bar wouldn't move and the mobs were invincible. And then once he crawled past the wall so his poison was unavoidable.
Cathedral of the Deep. Damn folks. That's some intense level design.

I'm finally getting some decency as a Mage build.
Just grab their attention and run away, they will always fall and kill themselves. It's easier with a bow but walking up to aggro then running works fine. I didn't have to touch one of them to kill them all.

iddqd

Yeah, I had to summon for
Dancer
as well.
Tried her a lot and always got caught in the kill move.

Called a Sunbro and he was even nice enough to let me have the finishing blow.

Afterwards helped out some folk to repay for my sin and did not get ONE sun medal due to hosts getting killed.

Ogawa-san

My first 3s in there were spent getting hit by an arrow or knife, being knocked back and then plummeting to my death.

From there on, I bow cheese everything in that scaffolding with great pride and no regrets.

The Lamp

Yuuuuuup. Only rolled off once!

Awful music for an awful boss!

Once, at the bottom of the cathedral, I left my player for 5 minutes to go to the bathroom. I thought I had cleared everybody out.

This motherfucking slug slithered halfway across the level over some dry land to fucking murder me while I was in the bathroom. Lost 10,000 souls.

Fucking Miyazaki.

Sawneeks

Banned
Ima gonna run into those a
rrows
. Yep. Watch me go sunnnnnnnnbros.

I think my favorite thing of that whole fight is during the second phase with the t
racking arrows
and watching one person just book it when they lock on. It's hilarious.

Fhtagn

Dodged a lot? :/

It was the hardest boss in the game to solo imo, well not counting the ones I didnt solo lol. By the way the third boss I summoned for was NK obviously.

Oh no shit? Why dont people ever mention him then? Its always the same
NK/Pontiff/Dancer
trio with splashes of
Abyss Watchers
and
Crystal Sage
early on that people bitch about. So I just assumed he was easy and I was just having a bad day / just wanted to be done with the game at that point.

Well, you can watch my victory here and see how on my toes I'm being to avoid dying. Far from an optimized battle, I never learned the parry timings so it's a lot of knowing when to roll, when to block, when to heal and when to poke him. His kick is so punishing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=10l_WOHGhCw

CS and AW were easy peasy for me though I can understand how they could be a PITA. The challenging bosses for me were PS, DA, CG, NK, 2P, SC... If I hadn't already learned DotBV well in the beta test it'd be on the list too.

Sawneeks

Banned
Actually, if you're near the very end of his tail you can get a free hit on him as he's teleporting since it's outside the range of his black whirlpool teleporty thing.

Found that out a co-op fight or two in lol. But trying to help folks out and they get caught in that aoe during the teleport hurts my soul. :(

Ken

for PVE which should I max out with my last slab:

dragonslayer greataxe, black knight greataxe, or greataxe

BearPawB

Banned
Awesome game. Bosses were probably the easiest in the series to me. There wasnt one i just got stuckkkkk on and i usually have one in each game.

Some fun fights though!

The Lamp

Awesome game. Bosses were probably the easiest in the series to me. There wasnt one i just got stuckkkkk on and i usually have one in each game.

Some fun fights though!

If you do a magic build, every boss fight the first half hour of the game will feel like you are a spitballing degenerate trapped in molasses trying to murder Greek gods.

ExVicis

Finally! After butting my head against the wall all over the S
moldering
L
ake
I finally killed
Tsorig
and was able to turn off that damn
Ballista/Crossbow
deal. I wish I got more of the last bit though...guess there's nothing left to do but actually fight the boss now.

Grisby

I think my favorite thing of that whole fight is during the second phase with the t
racking arrows
and watching one person just book it when they lock on. It's hilarious.
Almost as funny as watching people try to out run the d
eath dust
of W
olnir.

Kalentan

Question what is better for the Astora Greatsword, Refined or Heavy? Refined will lead both Str and Dex to be B, while Heavy will have Str scaling become A... I'm primarily going to be Str, but I'm just wondering since the dex bonus might balance things out.

Maddrical

Alright, I cannot remember the bonfire I'm at and I don't want to go googling things for spoilers. I've just killed a boss that involved
touching a goblet and getting transported to fight him
and now I'm stuck with an invisible wall not allowing me to pass across a bridge into the most gorgeous freaking city I've ever seen. I don't want the answer flat out, but is what I need to proceed something obvious I've overlooked or do I need to go exploring to find a branching path that I've missed? So far it feels like I've taken a straight path through the game, no optional bosses so it feels like I've missed out on another path.

It's gonna take a pretty epic weapon to stop me from using the Butcher's Knife, I love the thing! I think once I get a decent tower shield I'll switch to tower shield + greatsword but for now this Butcher's Knife has served me damn well.

Kevtones

Uh what the fuck?

I did a 2-day trial of PS+ and it just expired. Now I'm at the title screen and 'press any button' and does a couple checks and says 'your PS PLUS membership has expired. Returning to title menu.'

Rinse. Repeat. I've restarted my PS4 twice.

I can't play the game I bought.

dmr87

N
ameless
K
ing

I can't do it, I can't beat this guy,

ZJNb.gif

Was a wipefest for me too but in the end, he went down.

pixxxelz

My god A
byss
W
atchers
is such a good fight! and the music hnng, easily my favorite boss in the game so far, I beat them on my second attempt but it was all thanks to lady maria....lessons.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying, CG is one of the hardest bosses in the game. Not NK tier but harder than most of the non-optional bosses for sure. Harder than half the bosses in your solo list for sure, maybe more though ymmv.

lol he's much harder. I don't know how you could keep up with CG and have trouble with NK's moveset. Plus one of them lets you heal free.

Uh what the fuck?

I did a 2-day trial of PS+ and it just expired. Now I'm at the title screen and 'press any button' and does a couple checks and says 'your PS PLUS membership has expired. Returning to title menu.'

Check under options. Turn off matchmaking and set the game to offline mode.

Uh what the fuck?

Go into options (in dark souls) and change to srat offline

Kevtones

Go into options (in dark souls) and change to srat offline

I couldn't even do that. I literally could only go to the 'press any button' prompt and couldn't access the main menu.

However, just rebooted for a third time and turned off my router. Now I can access my game. Hmm.

Thank you though.

Fhtagn

lol he's much harder. I don't know how you could keep up with CG and have trouble with NK's moveset. Plus one of them lets you heal free.

Interesting. I only fought NK a couple times and decided to leave him for later just to have something fun and novel to try later on after I've beaten the game a couple times. The emerging consensus I'm seeing is NK being the hardest boss but since I haven't put the effort in yet myself, I guess I'll wait and see.

UberLevi

Welp, after making it 75% of the way through the second phase of the fight I can finally say I haven't beaten every Dark Souls final boss on my first try.

Alright, I cannot remember the bonfire I'm at and I don't want to go googling things for spoilers. I've just killed a boss that involved
touching a goblet and getting transported to fight him
and now I'm stuck with an invisible wall not allowing me to pass across a bridge into the most gorgeous freaking city I've ever seen. I don't want the answer flat out, but is what I need to proceed something obvious I've overlooked or do I need to go exploring to find a branching path that I've missed? So far it feels like I've taken a straight path through the game, no optional bosses so it feels like I've missed out on another path.

It's gonna take a pretty epic weapon to stop me from using the Butcher's Knife, I love the thing! I think once I get a decent tower shield I'll switch to tower shield + greatsword but for now this Butcher's Knife has served me damn well.

You've missed the branching path and an entire area likely, go to the road of sacrifices and try to hug the left side and enter the ruins that are near a bunch of little crabs.

What? Nah, man. The only thing tough about CG is the dumb kick and mostly because you don't expect that bruce lee shit out of such a huge guy, but his swings are way easier to dodge than NK's mix of swings and piercing attacks and some can even go straight over you.

Interesting. I only fought NK a couple times and decided to leave him for later just to have something fun and novel to try later on after I've beaten the game a couple times. The emerging consensus I'm seeing is NK being the hardest boss but since I haven't put the effort in yet myself, I guess I'll wait and see.
NK def gets overblown as the hardest boss in the game. The only real difficulty is
with the camera in the first phase of the fight. Knowing when to not lock on is key. Phase 2 plays out like many other melee oriented bosses. Once your familiar with his moveset, it's very doable to roll through everything.

Zocano

So yah Proof of Concord Kept are dropping at a rate of once an hour

More than I can say for how often I get summoned though!

3 more to go!
until I hit 10...

Maddrical

You've missed the branching path and an entire area likely, go to the road of sacrifices and try to hug the left side and enter the ruins that are near a bunch of little crabs.

I avoided that crab place like the plague, just ran through looking for anything interesting but I must've missed it. Thanks!

I don't know if you wanna discover this for yourself (dodging and timing related)
He doesn't have the mixups like CG and his melee swings are much more predictable.

I think the issue people have is (itemization related)
that he hits for a serious amount of lightning damage that'll tear through their shields. To mitigate that there's an 83% lightning resist shield you can find. Also on Archdragon Peak there's a lightning resist ring you can pick up. You can get melted for messing up once if you aren't at full health but with those two items equipped you won't have such a bad time

What? Nah, man. The only thing tough about CG is the dumb kick and mostly because you don't expect that bruce lee shit out of such a huge guy, but his swings are way easier to dodge than NK's mix of swings and piercing attacks and some can even go straight over you.

I dunno man, everything seemed like slow motion compared to CG. You're also not including CG's
shoulder barge
that you straight up can't see coming. He can do combos with 2-5 hits unlike NK which won't really surprise you with another hit if you see him stop.

BearPawB

Banned
If you do a magic build, every boss fight the first half hour of the game will feel like you are a spitballing degenerate trapped in molasses trying to murder Greek gods.

i was pyro. Never put a point into strength/dex.

Gotta get a raw weapon stat. And a buffing spell. Then you are set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom