• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Boulder Heave worth trading in a boss soul for? Is it better than Fire Orb?

I really don't need a havel ring, my load is pretty much at 50%

Telling you, fanservice the game

Eh, honestly this is well explained and makes some sense.

The only big one that bothered me in DS3 -
Ornstein...again...again, for the third time, I mean yeah, possessed armor whatever, but 3 times in 3 games...what. Should have went with Artorias as the series mascot instead.

Fhtagn

Telling you, fanservice the game

That's the fan service in the game I think is the most interesting.
the final boss being a blend of all the chosen undead and then Gwyn was also a perfect cap off if this really is the last Dark Souls for a long time/ever.
(major final boss spoiler do not click if you're not done.)

Edzi

Played the game all weekend and just beat it (got the regular
"Usurping the Fire"
ending). I think I missed a couple optional bosses, so I'll keep playing this file a bit more before I try to go for the more complicated ending.

How hard is NG+ btw? If I want to get that ending as fast as possible, should I go into NG+ after beating all the optional bosses/upgrading my stuff, or will I be better off just starting a new character? And just in case I end up going to NG+, what should I make sure to do before I start?

Eh, honestly this is well explained and makes some sense.

The only big one that bothered me in DS3 -
Ornstein...again...again, for the third time, I mean yeah, possessed armor whatever, but 3 times in 3 games...what. Should have went with Artorias as the series mascot instead.

Uh, I don't think that was him though?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is it safe to that
Pontiff Sulyvahn
is this game's O&S in terms of determining whether a player will continue playing or give up?

Dancer
was harder in my opinion. And
Pontiff
is too late in the game to give up imo, Anor Londo was halfway through DS1 if that

Is it safe to that
Pontiff Sulyvahn
is this game's O&S in terms of determining whether a player will continue playing or give up?

No. People are not noticing a couple of important things if they're hitting a wall there and need to experiment more.

O+S was tough no matter how much you spoiled yourself on strats.

ExVicis

Oh goddammit. I really didn't notice until now but the goddamn A
byss
W
atcher
armor is basically just Guts cosplay. I'm not complaining but goddamn just put on the Greatsword and bam you're Guts if you have a similar-ish face.

JTCx

Rain of arrows followed by that soul arrow. So damn fast.

I looked up a guide and they confirmed some attacks are RNG which I noticed as well. Ah well. Need to keep trying.

From my experience, the best way to dodge the move is to run along the side of the room in a circle and then stop if you see 2 soul arrows pass by you. Sometimes he doesn't even do the soul arrows at all and will just shoot the homing missles but the general idea is still the same.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah, that's what I meant with
possessed armor, I just don't understand why they went with the same boss (visual) design for the third time in the series

Same

Theres a diff between fanservice being in your lore and writing your thing around the fanservice, and I've heard arguments for both

MrHoot

Is it safe to that
Pontiff Sulyvahn

It was for me. I had trouble with others but nowhere near as much as with
Pontiff

Honestly, I think he's not that well designed and I would go as far as call him cheap. He's not fun to fight due to how unpredictable he is, how unrelenting his attacks can be and sometimes there's no tells for what he can possibly do. Not to forget he splits in two.

He's hard for sure, but compared to my previous roadblock bosses in the other games, I felt miserable fighting him even with co op. Even his visual design felt a bit bland to me

mstevens

So how hard is going to be to acquire all these covenant items if I'm awful at pvp? I know the pve drop rate is awful but pvp just is not my thing... I hate the thought of wasting an hour losing over and over with nothing to show.

Ken

So how hard is going to be to acquire all these covenant items if I'm awful at pvp? I know the pve drop rate is awful but pvp just is not my thing... I hate the thought of wasting an hour losing over and over with nothing to show.

>invade
>bow to initiate honorabru duel
>chug ashen flasks and hope opponent chugs their hp flasks

Fhtagn

Pontiff

Honestly, I think he's not that well designed and I would go as far as call him cheap. He's not fun to fight due to how unpredictable he is, how unrelenting his attacks can be and sometimes there's no tells for what he can possibly do. Not to forget he splits in two.

He's hard for sure, but compared to my previous roadblock bosses in the other games, I felt miserable fighting him even with co op. Even his visual design felt a bit bland to me

Hmmm, I found him super difficult and yes, in a sense the O&S of the game for me, (though other bosses are harder IMHO) but I loved every second of it and felt like I really earned the win once I got it down. I did it solo with a long sword and by the time I beat him I knew his patterns super well. He was really hard to parry reliably, so I gave up on that personally.

I am sure I'm going to find him 10x easier on my current run as a result of the effort I put in on my first NG.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just noticed 2 of the 3 bosses I summoned for are easier than most bosses I soloed

I didnt summon for
Watchers
Pontiff
Dancer
or the last boss.

And yet I summoned for
Champion Gundyr
and
Old Demon King

Just lack of patience got to me I guess (I hated
smoldering lake
and just wanted to be done with it, and
Gundyr
...I dunno, was having a bad day I guess?)

Is it safe to that
Pontiff Sulyvahn

Nah. He felt like a brick wall the first couple times I fought him, but if you pay attention, you start to find weaknesses. It does help a bit if you fight him by that small flight of steps leading to the slightly elevated area where he starts. It varies the height of his attacks and adds the potential for some of them to go over your head.

TheFlow

Banned
Pontiff

there is a boss later in the game that makes him a joke.

The D
ragonslayer
A
mour
looks a lot more appropriate for someone who was supposedly the
leader of the Four Knights, and it also confirms that the Ornstein in DS1 was an illusion
, which then ties into the N
ameless
K
ing
lore.

Personally, I liked its inclusion in the game, and the fight intro itself is really interesting lore-wise.

_h8bit

Banned
D
ragonslayer
A
rmor
is currently kicking my ass and the ass of everyone i summon. I could probably finish him off if it weren't for
the mobs throwing shit everywhere.

I just noticed 2 of the 3 bosses I summoned for are easier than most bosses I soloed

I didnt summon for
Watchers
Pontiff
Dancer
or the last boss.

And yet I summoned for
Champion Gundyr
and
Old Demon King

smoldering lake
Gundyr
What did you do for Dancer?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

I didnt summon for
Watchers
Pontiff
Dancer
or the last boss.

And yet I summoned for
Champion Gundyr
and
Old Demon King

smoldering lake
Gundyr

I have some sick masochist quality about me where I NEED to beat bosses solo. In fact, I have never summoned another player in all my Souls playtime for any reason.

I wonder if anyone else here has the same hang-up.

I didnt summon for
Watchers
Pontiff
Dancer
or the last boss.

And yet I summoned for
Champion Gundyr
and
Old Demon King

Out of those, I haven't fought
Dancer
or
Gundyr
yet, but I've solo'd for every single boss so far because I'm not playing online lololol

Fhtagn

I didnt summon for
Watchers
Pontiff
Dancer
or the last boss.

And yet I summoned for
Champion Gundyr
and
Old Demon King

smoldering lake
Gundyr

I'm not sure I get what you're saying, CG is one of the hardest bosses in the game. Not NK tier but harder than most of the non-optional bosses for sure. Harder than half the bosses in your solo list for sure, maybe more though ymmv.

D
ragonslayer
A
rmor
is currently kicking my ass and the ass of everyone i summon. I could probably finish him off if it weren't for
the mobs throwing shit everywhere.

Equip Lothric Knight Shield if you have it. He's a cakewalk with that. 87% Electricity Absorption.

Pontiff

I don't even think it's because he's
cheap, as he is well designed...

for Bloodborne, which is the problem: he's a Bloodborne boss transplanted into Dark Souls, which doesn't really work due to the decreased i-frames.

MrHoot

there is a boss later in the game that makes him a joke.

I finished the game. I found every subsequent bosses to be easier than him mostly because they don't freaking attack for 10 hours.

Bosses like
Dancer, Dragonslayer armor, Nameless King and Gundyr I really enjoyed. They're hard, but they all have a manageable rythm once you read them and they're pretty adapted to a variety of playstyles, and mostly Souls style

Pontiff has just too much bullshit. He's manageable but with a pretty narrow set of conditions compared to other bosses and still is hard as fuck

Fhtagn said:
Hmmm, I found him super difficult and yes, in a sense the O&S of the game for me, (though other bosses are harder IMHO) but I loved every second of it and felt like I really earned the win once I got it down. I did it solo with a long sword and by the time I beat him I knew his patterns super well. He was really hard to parry reliably, so I gave up on that personally.

I am sure I'm going to find him 10x easier on my current run as a result of the effort I put in on my first NG.

I think for me is just that it's related to one of the complaints we were discussing earlier: Some builds who used to be viable are just way too inadequate for the game at the moment. I'm sure now that I know how to get him in New Game + it'll be manageable but i'm just annoyed at how restrictive he is and yet still so punishing

I don't even think it's because he's
cheap, as he is well designed...

for Bloodborne, which is the problem: he's a Bloodborne boss transplanted into Dark Souls, which only really works due to the increased i-frames.

Exactly. He could fit well into bloodborne because then you could get an easier parry openings on him, while still maintaining an appropriate challenge. Sadly, this is Souls which is why it aggravates me.

Sarcasm

I am having a hard time with the non-boss mobs and their seemingly endless endurance pools and backwards shield bashing. Any tips? These dudes can continuously attack and even leveling up I am still severely limited.

catspit

Is there an event or something I missed mid game where you can only summon 1 co-op helper?. Early on you could summon 2, but the past few areas it's been 1 only..

Where to go next

I just killed Aldrich, and it seems I've hit a dead end. I don't really know where to go next, there doesn't seem to be anywhere else in Anor Londo to go and I can't think of anywhere else to find a new location.

anyone care to point me in the next direction?

_h8bit

Banned
I am having a hard time with the non-boss mobs and their seemingly endless endurance pools and backwards shield bashing. Any tips? These dudes can continuously attack and even leveling up I am still severely limited.

That's been a sort of annoying theme throughout most of this game for me. I always feel behind in terms of stamina and vitality no matter what point i'm at.

Just go 2h and when they shield bash (there's a big tell) dodge and start slashing, most of this guys can get staggered, do damage and then back off, and repeat. You can circle strafe and go for the backstab just keep in mind that most of the times you'll have to dodge the shield bash.

Where to go next

I just killed Aldrich, and it seems I've hit a dead end. I don't really know where to go next, there doesn't seem to be anywhere else in Anor Londo to go and I can't think of anywhere else to find a new location.

anyone care to point me in the next direction?

Church bonfire in Irityhll, head downstairs and go across the lake and keep going downstairs.

Rhaknar

What did you do for Dancer?

Dodged a lot? :/

It was the hardest boss in the game to solo imo, well not counting the ones I didnt solo lol. By the way the third boss I summoned for was NK obviously

I'm not sure I get what you're saying, CG is one of the hardest bosses in the game. Not NK tier but harder than most of the non-optional bosses for sure. Harder than half the bosses in your solo list for sure, maybe more though ymmv.

Oh no shit? Why dont people ever mention him then? Its always the same
NK/Pontiff/Dancer
trio with splashes of
Abyss Watchers
and
Crystal Sage
early on that people bitch about. So I just assumed he was easy and I was just having a bad day / just wanted to be done with the game at that point.

Chorazin

Are there any Sorcery catalysts actually worth finding? My beginning one is still the best I've found for off-hand casting (I'm about to finish S
mouldering
L
ake
.) If nothing else awesome is gonna pop up for a while I'll just upgrade the shit out of it.

I have some sick masochist quality about me where I NEED to beat bosses solo. In fact, I have never summoned another player in all my Souls playtime for any reason.

I wonder if anyone else here has the same hang-up.

I beat everything solo offline on my first playthrough. I just want to make sure I can do everything before maybe summoning NPCs in a future playthrough here and there to try different things. Having help can also screw with the AI, so you don't have to learn how to avoid damage and understand what makes the boss tick.

Just go 2h and when they shield bash (there's a big tell) dodge and start slashing, most of this guys can get staggered, do damage and then back off, and repeat. You can circle strafe and go for the backstab just keep in mind that most of the times you'll have to dodge the shield bash.

Church bonfire in Irityhll, head downstairs and go across the lake and keep going downstairs.

Thanks, I completely forgot about that location

Absolutely adore this game but FUCK Smouldering Lake. Good lord. Had to quit and recollect myself for later tonight. I was starting to get pissed.

Dodged a lot? :/

It was the hardest boss in the game to solo imo, well not counting the ones I didnt solo lol. By the way the third boss I summoned for was NK obviously

When does the Dancer fight open up? I went back to the room with the old lady (the one opposite the Vordt boss room) and it didn't trigger a fight yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom