• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmr87

I have some sick masochist quality about me where I NEED to beat bosses solo. In fact, I have never summoned another player in all my Souls playtime for any reason.

I wonder if anyone else here has the same hang-up.

I'm with you, big part of these games for me is the process of learning a boss and finally pulling through in the end, I would lose all that with summons. I save summoning and co-op fun for later playthroughs.

Not sure if already known but I will just post it here:

Update 1.03.1 - 4/18 11am CEST/2am PST
15. APRIL - KIMUNDI
The 1.03.1 update for Dark Souls III will be deployed on STEAM on April 18th at 11am CEST/2am PST. It won’t require any maintenance downtime:

The update will include the following changes:

・ Performance adjustment for “Greatsword”
・ Battle performance adjustment for “Dancer’s Enchanted Sword”, “Winged Knight Twinaxes”
・ Performance adjustment for “Soul’s Greatsword”, and “Farron Flashsword”
・ Fix for issue where multiple items become impossible to use at “Road of Sacrifices”, “Farron Keep”, “Cathedral of the Deep” after clearing the game.
・ General balance adjustments and bug fixes

Embrace the Darkness!

I know the Patch notes are already known, but the release time was not? Not sure.

ramyeon

I have some sick masochist quality about me where I NEED to beat bosses solo. In fact, I have never summoned another player in all my Souls playtime for any reason.

I wonder if anyone else here has the same hang-up.
You're far from alone I think. I'm the same - I don't mind going back and helping people with a boss after I've beaten it but the first time I have to do it solo. I don't even help people with co-op until I've beaten it solo at least once.

Hated that a huge number of NPC storylines in DS2 were tied to summoning them and beating a certain amount of bosses with them.

Why don't they call them "Unbreakable Patch Notes?"

This game is making me fall in love with Souls. Blood borne was my first foray into Soulsborne and I loved it. This is just great. I'm a big coop fan, so I'm loving helping others, PVP, invasions, etc. The game is just so rich and full of fun surprises and turns.

Having such a blast.

Right now have a pyro that hits for almost 75% of most peoples' health that I'm pvping. It's slow and can be dodged, but if I get it to connect, it's game over.

Edzi

It just took me a million tries to beat Dancer of Boreal whatever the fuck.

I'm seeing so many people talk about how tough she was that I'm thinking I must have gotten insanely lucky during my playthrough, since I somehow managed to beat her on my first try.

I'm curious as to what stats people were pumping levels into, since maybe thats affecting how people perceive the game's difficulty. My primary stats were strength and vitality, and some also in vigor and endurance. I feel like Vitality is the key to surviving most of the later bosses, since it really beefs up your defense.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I've played 18 hours of Dark Souls III this weekend. I can't believe just how much it has consumed me.

Edit: Strangely enough, I'm really enjoying helping people beat the bosses. One in particular, seems to be giving people fits.

I dunno man, everything seemed like slow motion compared to CG. You're also not including CG's
shoulder barge
that you straight up can't see coming. He can do combos with 2-5 hits unlike NK which won't really surprise you with another hit if you see him stop.
I'll admit that when CG gets to you he can wreck you real bad, but in my opinion he has fewer tools to do so than NK. NK and the last boss probably have some of the most varied movesets in the series(apart from artorias).

I'm seeing so many people talk about how tough she was that I'm thinking I must have gotten insanely lucky during my playthrough, since I somehow managed to beat her on my first try.

I'm curious as to what stats people were pumping levels into, since maybe thats affecting how people perceive the game's difficulty. My primary stats were strength and vitality, and some also in vigor and endurance. I feel like Vitality is the key to surviving most of the later bosses, since it really beefs up your defense.

I got 40 something dex with a +6 sharp uchigatana and I was doing mediocre damage to it. Every hit I took took like 60% or more. I don't have a ton of points in vitality but I have some. This is the only boss that has given me legit trouble in this game so far.

HeelPower

I wish every area in the game was as polished visually as Firelink and Lothric High wall.
I just wish they'd like.throw a bunch of grass on the ground in areas of vegetation.Farron Keep and the Road of Sacrifice could've benefited greatly from more care applied to their visuals.

You can tell the same artists that made Forrest of the Fallen Giants and Shaded woods worked Farron keep and Forrest of the Fallen Giants.
It still looks better than DS2 and is far more consistent but some of the tendencies of DS2's art direction show themselves once in a while.

BloodBorne on the other hand is far more polished,maybe due to its smaller scale but I doubt it tbh..Forbidden Woods and Hemwick lane look a lot better than undead settlement and the swamp in this game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I like how we have two convenants that are basically the same thing and they both dont work. And neither does Watchdogs. If you wanna recreate the forest covenant, dont put it in an area with a shit ton of annoying enemies and make it so the level design never brings people back there at any point in the game. Good luck getting that greatsword and ring. DS II still the gold standard on convenants, Miyazaki sucks at them.

The Lamp

i was pyro. Never put a point into strength/dex.

Gotta get a raw weapon stat. And a buffing spell. Then you are set

What do you mean raw weapon state?

And what kind of buffing spell? I'm level 42 with 32 points in intelligence and I don't know what you mean.

And what kind of buffing spell? I'm level 42 with 32 points in intelligence and I don't know what you mean.

He means you have to go to the smith and make the weapon into raw state, you can make it raw when you found one of the coals for the smith.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

He means a raw infused weapon that has no scaling to make up for improved base stats and a spell that applies and magic buff on your weapon.

Veelk

Banned
I fucking hate the
Irythill Dungeon
. This is even worse than the swamp.

It's not evne difficult, it just tries your patience. I've gotten to the room with the branding iron people circling around like 5 times, and died because one of them got lucky and staggered me to the point where it destroys my entire healthbar and kills me.
How the fuck is this fun?

The Lamp

He means a raw infused weapon that has no scaling to make up for improved base stats and a spell that applies and magic buff on your weapon.

He means you have to go to the smith and make the weapon into raw state, you can make it raw when you found one of the coals for the smith.

So a raw weapon doesn't scale with stats? Does this mean scaled weapons get better if you use ones that correspond to high stats you have, but raw weapons don't? Why would I want that?

I got the crystal sage rapier for my mage and so far it's nice since it scales with intelligence.

But I can't buff it with magic weapon :(

So a raw weapon doesn't scale with stats? Does this mean scaled weapons get better if you use ones that correspond to high stats you have, but raw weapons don't? Why would I want that?

I got the crystal sage rapier for my mage and so far it's nice since it scales with intelligence.

I can only think of preference, I'm also for scaling weapons, instead without scaling.
Only worth if you do not have any intention to scale the stat you need it for.
I have my Uchi at +4, will try to getting the Dark Sword today.
Raw weapons are also more suitable for PvP than PvE.

Regarding Raw:

Raw weapons are good for low level players at early points in the game or before stat scaling becomes significant.
It's good on paper but realistically ingame you'll level/upgrade too fast to take advantage of the benefits and for the same reason it isn't a very attractive option to change Raw into another path later.
That being said, if you're stuck somewhere a Raw upgrade can be an effective means of cheaply increasing your damage.

KingKong

The first time CG did an honest to goodness fighting game combo I was like wow. I was worried what his second phase was going to be but it was actually pretty easy. Really enjoyable boss though

Edzi

So is it just me, or were heavy weapons (like great swords) just not worth it in this game? Almost every strength based weapon I found had crap scaling and barely did more damage than the lighter weapons, so I basically played the entire game with a Bandit Axe (which had decent C scaling for strength and good speed/attack arc).

The first time CG did an honest to goodness fighting game combo I was like wow. I was worried what his second phase was going to be but it was actually pretty easy. Really enjoyable boss though

When he did the launcher into kick combo, I was equal parts annoyed and impressed.

SkylineRKR

Raw is good for early game when it exceeds your scaling.

So is it just me, or were heavy weapons (like great swords) just not worth it in this game? Almost every strength based weapon I found had crap scaling and barely did more damage than the lighter weapons, so I basically played the entire game with a Bandit Axe (which had decent C scaling for strength and good speed/attack arc).

When he did the launcher into kick combo, I was equal parts annoyed and impressed.

It seems most weapons have poor scaling till you infuse it with a gem that increases whatever stat you want to scale.

Kalentan

So what was the item that the
giant
in the
Catherdal of the Deep
drop? Cause I killed him with arrows and then died to a fatty enemy on the way and the item vanished.

Soulflarz

Banned
NG+ and NG can still play together, right? Asking because I still want to help my friend in the game, but I acknowledge once I buy out all the stores I have no reason to stay in NG, I'm wasting away my days here when I could have a plat :p

Also, the first bone shard I get in NG+ works, not just the one I'm missing? Asking cause I got locked out of mine.

I'll admit that when CG gets to you he can wreck you real bad, but in my opinion he has fewer tools to do so than NK. NK and the last boss probably have some of the most varied movesets in the series(apart from artorias).

I can definitely agree with that. CG is really similar to Sir Alonne fight. Pure melee no nonsense and you get wrecked for being greedy. Probably my favourite style of fights in the series.

Have a question, would it be wise to infuse the Dark Sword with a Heavy Gem to get a better scaling?
I mostly upgrading STR, DEX, Vigor, Endurance and sometimes VIT.

I can never summon three people, or two plus an NPC, but I get summoned by others that can. I don't understand.

Every time I try, after summoning the second person, all the other summon signs disappear.

And besides that issue, summoning just seems so spotty so far. Yes, I realize the the person was probably summoned before me, but even so, just seems so inconsistent. I never remember having this many problem with 1 or 2.

Loving the endless loading screen error that seems to be affecting the Xbox One version right now.

Those gripes aside, I'm still really enjoying the game.

Corpekata

Banned
I can never summon three people, or two plus an NPC, but I get summoned by others that can. I don't understand.

Every time I try, after summoning the second person, all the other summon signs disappear.

And besides that issue, summoning just seems so spotty so far. Yes, I realize the the person was probably summoned before me, but even so, just seems so inconsistent. I never remember having this many problem with 1 or 2.

Loving the endless loading screen error that seems to be affecting the Xbox One version right now.

Those gripes aside, I'm still really enjoying the game.

3 people summoning is only for those that used Dried Fingers. By default most bosses are 2 summons, and some seem limited to 1.

Have a question, would it be wise to infuse the Dark Sword with a Heavy Gem to get a better scaling?
I mostly upgrading STR, DEX, Vigor, Endurance and sometimes VIT.

If you're upgrading strength and dexterity best to leave it as is, alternatively you can go refined for reduced base attack and B/B scaling. If you were just strength making it heavy gives it A scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom