• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

So did they enable online for Xbox One version yet?

Might check it out tonight but I'll be all PC version starting today..

but I might play on PC while I wait to get summoned on Xbox or something crazy like that lol

Jobbs

Banned
So did they enable online for Xbox One version yet?

Might check it out tonight but I'll be all PC version starting today..

but I might play on PC while I wait to get summoned on Xbox or something crazy like that lol

yeah, xb1 has been online for hours now.

it's so cool I bought this with the JP region switching thing but I have a US english version that is online

Pedersen

Holy hell

With people buying their copy today, I went to my local electronics store 10min before closing and the older lady behind the desk actually sold me the game. I'm so happy even though I cut my thumb really bad today so it hurts to use a controller, but I guess powering through the pain is how DS is meant to be played..

98min till update is finished :(((

Neoweee

well the benefit is getting more defenses and damage reduction, if it's worth it or not depends on your playstyle and whether you can deal with a fat roll or heavy investment in raising your weight limit not, I don't think it is worth it but some people do, apparently.

by that ''guide'' you mean that post where you wrote ''this will lead to all *samey* builds with medium armor and OPshields''? Which isn't even remotely true if you actually played some PvP.

I'm mostly referring to PvE, because trying to predict PvP meta in these games is futile. For all we know somebody could discover a one-shot Sorcery build that ends up warping the meta.

Samey doesn't mean literally the same, it means similar. Here are the basic points. This is spoiler-y with regards to mechanics and balance, but not plots or locations.

- Roll distance matters less on weight than it did in Dark Souls 1 or Dark Souls 2.
- Stamina regeneration does not matter on weight in the way it did in Dark Souls 1 or Dark Souls 2.
- The difference between 65%, on the heavy end of the normal roll, and 0% is only ~15% difference in roll distance.
- The game tells you damage reduction %s. It is easy to hit like, 16, 17, 18%, and almost impossible to hit 30% from just Armor.
- There's a collection of medium shields (****** Crest) that have absurd damage reduction (100% phys, 90% one element) that is basically perfect.

tl;dr, light weight builds play more similarly to heavy builds than they have in the previous Dark Souls games. Some may have strong preferences for doing the heavy builds, but medium & light will have only slightly worse armor than the heavier builds.

Lyonaz

Good god, I've been listening to the theme song for 15 mins now at the title screen.
SOOO GOOOOD!!!

Glad the soundtrack is included in the Apocalypse Edition.

Soulflarz

Banned
Holy hell

With people buying their copy today, I went to my local electronics store 10min before closing and the older lady behind the desk actually sold me the game. I'm so happy even though I cut my thumb really bad today so it hurts to use a controller, but I guess powering through the pain is how DS is meant to be played..

98min till update is finished :(((

They're breaking street date because street date is a psuedo-existing thing when the english builds been publicly sold for 2 weeks.
And hype.

Sullichin

yeah, xb1 has been online for hours now.

it's so cool I bought this with the JP region switching thing but I have a US english version that is online

Yeah, it's actually a really cool feature of Xbox One that you can switch regions like that..

Today is going quite slow.

Deciding between int/dex (played like 30% of the game this way already) or pyro for my first pc run... or another melee only one.

Quality is always a good choice.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Has anyone messed around with halberds yet? I was a big fan of the versatility of the Mastodon Halberd's moveset in DS2. I can't decide whether to go with dex and katanas or strength and halberds.

Kill her, give her ashes to the Dark Souls II old lady and she sells it. Or you can finish the entire Hollow quest, kill the final boss, get the ending and her stuff will be at Firelink Shrine on the floor.

I think you gotta
kill her, then reload and her set should be sold by the old lady. BUT ask someone else as that's pure speculation on my part, as it works for the NPC I killed but I haven't tried everyone

I think I will just try to get the
special ending
on my first run.

When you do NG+ you keep everything you own correct? All of your souls and items/projectiles?

Dr. Buni

Can't wait. I have no doubt this game will be great, but I really do hope it is more akin to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II than Dark Souls. Just a few more hours to go :3

Tiops

Based on the title I thought this was the DS3 thread but judging by the stream advertisement in the OP and the last few pages I guess I accidentally wandered into the Yoshichan OT.

Oh well.

This happens for every Souls launch, don't worry.

Sullichin

Has anyone messed around with halberds yet? I was a big fan of the versatility of the Mastodon Halberd's moveset in DS2. I can't decide whether to go with dex and katanas or strength and halberds.

Can confirm that Halberds are good again this time too. I've only used the basic halberd though.

It is more of a quality weapon (str/dex scaling). You can definitely make a quality build and use halberds and katanas very effectively.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Can confirm that Halberds are good again this time too. I've only used the basic halberd though.

It is more of a quality weapon (str/dex scaling). You can definitely make a quality build and use halberds and katanas very effectively.

Awesome! That sounds like a solid plan. I haven't done a quality build since Demon's Souls.

I asked this earlier but didn't get a response. I have the JPN Version, when the US Version goes online today can I play with them or not?

There's never been a region lock on these games as far as I know. Don't see why they'd start now. I know they locked people out of Japan due to all the importers, but I presume that's a temporary measure.

Edit: Except Demon's Souls!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i'm home

i'm fucking home

this was the dfumbest fuc king dark souls release

There's never been a region lock on these games as far as I know. Don't see why they'd start now. I know they locked people out of Japan due to all the importers, but I presume that's a temporary measure.

Demon's Souls

Less of a region lock, and more each region had their own servers

Reppu

Neo Member
Any comments about 364.72 driver for nvidia?
I read some people complaining about it bricked the cards but i wanna get driver ready
from the moment it releases.

oroboros

Any comments about 364.72 driver for nvidia?
I read some people complaining about it bricked the cards but i wanna get driver ready
from the moment it releases.

I've been using 364.72 driver since it was available with no problems, but if they blow up your computer don't blame me.

Can't wait. I have no doubt this game will be great, but I really do hope it is more akin to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II than Dark Souls. Just a few more hours to go :3

I think one of us are going to be disappointed. I really hope that DSIII goes back to its Dark Souls roots and moves away from what DS2 did.

I'll probably be happy either way, but its funny how two people want the opposite thing from the same game.

Afrodium

Banned
So how likely is it that the PS4 digital release gets changed to coincide with Steam? Cuz I would really like it if that happened...

Cob32

How do you get
to the area beneath the rope bridge in the catacombs before the boss?

Also just encountered a strange bug where I ran from the bonfire to the bridge and the frame rate dropped a lot. Turned left and there was about 30 skeletons bounding towards me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
thanks guys for all the support

i'm fgine

How do you get
to the area beneath the rope bridge in the catacombs before the boss?

Also just encountered a strange bug where I ran from the bonfire to the bridge and the frame rate dropped a lot. Turned left and there was about 30 skeletons bounding towards me.
attack the rope bridge and climb down it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom