• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

tskeeve

not sure about magic but faith is eeekkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prRT3r9HOcY

Faith spells do way more damage the closer you are now. I saw videos with
lightning spears
doing 900+ damage from up close. You're supposed to use your talisman's
poise weapon art
to cast close-up to the enemy to maximize damage. Damage is not only fine for faith spell casting builds, but FROM has actually given Faith a unique playstyle now.

ogbg

Pure sorcery is borked, should've been more specific. Haven't played it myself yet, but the Reddit and GAF majority consensus (as well a Mage playthrough by a streamer) is that sorcery is borked - spells take way too long to come out, aren't that powerful till endgame, things costing lots of mana instead of a fixed spell uses means you run out quickly unless you go with more ashen estus over regular estus.

Most importantly, From made the enemies and bosses faster and more aggressive, they close distances quickly. You will need a shield and a weapon.

The damage is totally fine as far as I went with it (about half way through the game). Some bosses are tricky due to the casting time but if you learn their patterns and when to attack it's doable. I didn't find it particularly enjoyable though but I'm not sure if pure caster is really my kind of thing.

Vuze

Is the
Tower Key
worth 20,000 souls?
Yeah, bunch of cool and useful stuff, even more so if you don't abuse a certain glitch. I purchased the key after beating the
Crystal Sage
boss.

Some items you can find there:
Estus piece
Serpent ring (more Souls)
Estus ring (more HP restored from Estus)

oroboros

Pure sorcery is borked, should've been more specific. Haven't played it myself yet, but the Reddit and GAF majority consensus (as well a Mage playthrough by a streamer) is that sorcery is borked - spells take way too long to come out, aren't that powerful till endgame, things costing lots of mana instead of a fixed spell uses means you run out quickly unless you go with more ashen estus over regular estus.

Most importantly, From made the enemies and bosses faster and more aggressive, they close distances quickly. You will need a shield and a weapon.

I really like the mana system like Demon's Souls had instead of the limited spell uses and having to stack multiple copies of spells in different slots to get more. And the new flask system is cool because it gives you another strategic choice to make. Its just risk versus reward whether you want to cast or heal more. I hated the spell use system honestly. Can't you increase spell casting speed with some stat?

About the more aggressive and fast enemies, it just seems FROM is in a damned if they do or damned if they don't situation. If they don't make changes like that a bunch of people just complain that the game is easy mode compared to other games, but it will make certain builds even more difficult overall.

I don't know, to me spellcasters should be a class where you start off super weak and by the end you are crazy powerful. Hopefully scaling is really good. If it was easy mode all the way through and you never had to use your weapon at all that doesn't seem right to me, and would seem to be a nightmare to balance.

lionpants

For anyone considering magic, just be aware that DS 3 will punish you severely for that decision. Enemies are fast and spells are weak.
I played Sorcery my second play-through, I found it pretty OP. I have read that it is weak at the beginning of the game though.

Once you get CSS though, you can 1-2 shot everything. There's 3-4 bosses that are resistant to magic which can be a royal PITA. Usually the easy bosses as melee are then difficult with a spell build.

I'd like to know this as well. Anything as important as master key?
Nah, starting items are bunk this time.

Ferr986

God fucking lord Amazon didn't ship my friggin game yet.

Asked them and they told me I'll receive the game tomorrow even if it's not shipped yet because they have their own transport service to deliver the package to the local transport or dunno what bullshit they told me.

I had the day off, so they better deliver...

Adry9

ok so what happened, short story:

i climbed again, pipes

neighbour found me climbing asking what the fuck i'm doing

i told her

went to her place

charger

spammed landlord

answered -> told him to come as soon as fucking possible

he showed up

i'm home

Amazing.

tariniel

Is there anywhere I can read a refresher on the Dark Souls 1 and 2 story lines, to prepare for Dark Souls 3?

I remember the broad points of each story but I want a bit of a refresher. Text if possible since I'm at work.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Not going faith/magic for my first run but sure bamco are aware of those scaling problems by now? I mean even with the slightest attention on forums around, surely they know about it at least?

Really happy to play this tomorrow and to get over this hypefever, it's been killing me

Sanctuary

ok so what happened, short story:

i climbed again, pipes

neighbour found me climbing asking what the fuck i'm doing

i told her

went to her place

charger

spammed landlord

answered -> told him to come as soon as fucking possible

he showed up

i'm home

Time to connect an elastic band from your keys to your shoes.

Cdkeys is "currently updating" their website, i.e. it is down. Perhaps they are uploading a ton of scanned key-codes...
Also the Yoshichan story was very entertaining, thank you for keeping us updated, Yoshi.

fozzy

I'm quite a noob and only played 90 percent of ds1 once. Should I not choose the master key to keep me on the straight and narrow?

Zocano

The OST in this game simply destroys the past OSTs.

Got tingles in my spine all the way to my balls during some of the fights.

Nothing beats Demon's Souls intro cinematic OST though.

Naaah.

Demon's still the goat overall. DS3 has some good ones, tho.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the non-intro boss, yay! I was surprised exploring that area when
the mimic showed up so early in the game. Was not expecting so soon.

Does Amazon not do launch day shipping anymore for free? Just checked order status and its showing arriving Thursday.. Weird.
You should've changed the shipping time. Last time it was showing arriving Thursday, then I re-did the whole shipping method and it changed back to release day shipping.

Fonds

Why this blatant self-glorification doesn't seem to be an issue is beyond me.

An OT about a game with the OP pre-answering personal questions?... Jesus wept.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay, got my key from GMG for the Deluxe Edition.

Beat it once doing mostly sword and board on PS4, so I think I'll start as a deprived and either try a magic using build or a pure STR / 2-hander build.

Hey guys. What time does DSIII unlock on the UK PSN, BST? Thinking of getting it there and returning my boxed copy (which should arrive tomorrow afternoon) if it unlocks tonight. Is it the same as EDT?

Does Amazon not do launch day shipping anymore for free? Just checked order status and its showing arriving Thursday.. Weird.

Mine said that but I fixed it a while ago by editing my shipping speed. I didn't actually change the speed, just clicked on two day again and it updated to release date delivery. I don't know if it's too late for you to try this, but it could be worth a shot.

Sanctuary

Fuck yeah

So much good music

Why shoes, of all places?

You know how sometimes kids have gloves connected to their winter coats that way? Where else would you be able to connect keys that would be considered universal? Unless he wears the same pants every day, or always has some kind of light jacket on.

lightning spears
poise weapon art
to cast close-up to the enemy to maximize damage. Damage is not only fine for faith spell casting builds, but FROM has actually given Faith a unique playstyle now.

Still, seems kind of pointless to even care about the damaging FTH spells if you have to use them up close. Defeats the purpose since you can just swing your weapon 2-3 times for the same overall damage within the same time frame.

oroboros

lightning spears
poise weapon art

That sounds good. I always thought of faith being more a utility type of magic playstyle and if it's not some crazy DPS magic that is OK.

NEO0MJ

If anything, spells are better than ever for PvP, but awful for early/midgame PvE, where as in other games they pretty much broke the challenge for the main game

I wonder how much weaker they are now. Before I felt spells were so brain-dead, too safe and too rewarding. As long as you keep a good distance between you and your enemy you could always land full damage spells without getting touched.

aravuus

You know how sometimes kids have gloves connected to their winter coats that way? Where else would you be able to connect keys that would be considered universal? Unless he wears the same pants every day, or always has some kind of light jacket on.

Oh yeah hahaha, makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom