• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiroryu

The damage is totally fine as far as I went with it (about half way through the game). Some bosses are tricky due to the casting time but if you learn their patterns and when to attack it's doable. I didn't find it particularly enjoyable though but I'm not sure if pure caster is really my kind of thing.

I think the problem was more the late game bosses, but I could be wrong. Not seeking to dissuade anybody from playing it, it's just that it feels like Hard Mode.

I really like the mana system like Demon's Souls had instead of the limited spell uses and having to stack multiple copies of spells in different slots to get more. And the new flask system is cool because it gives you another strategic choice to make. Its just risk versus reward whether you want to cast or heal more. I hated the spell use system honestly. Can't you increase spell casting speed with some stat?

About the more aggressive and fast enemies, it just seems FROM is in a damned if they do or damned if they don't situation. If they don't make changes like that a bunch of people just complain that the game is easy mode compared to other games, but it will make certain builds even more difficult overall.

I don't know, to me spellcasters should be a class where you start off super weak and by the end you are crazy powerful. Hopefully scaling is really good. If it was easy mode all the way through and you never had to use your weapon at all that doesn't seem right to me, and would seem to be a nightmare to balance.

Eh, I feel that spellcasting should be balanced from start to end - I don't want to feel OP, just pew-pewing enemies to death, but neither do I want to have magic just be my conversation starter.

The risk-reward thing is a good point, and From are essentially daring casters to use casting range to their advantage. But I think the problem is that From upped the speed and aggressiveness without giving magic users the speed bonuses or range increase over previous games to deal with that.

An early spell, for example, is a faster, spammable Soul Arrow that does ridiculously low damage. As an aside, I always felt mages should get more tactical weapons instead of just more soul projectiles: clones that distract PvE enemies, a 3-second super armor, that sort of thing.

And re: stats, Sanctuary shared the video: a ring you get boosts cast speed nearly to the cap. Whether that's enough to make a significant in-game difference, I don't know.

Can I have some feedback on my expected build for a SL 100 character?

Code:
Level: 100
Classes: Knight
Vigor: 35 [SPOILER](+5 from Prisoner's Chain)[/SPOILER]
Attnement: 10
Endurance: 25 [SPOILER](+5 from Prisoner's Chain)[/SPOILER]
Vitality: 17 [SPOILER](+5 from Prisoner's Chain)[/SPOILER]
Strength: 40
Dexterity: 37 [SPOILER](+3 from Carthus Milkring)[/SPOILER]
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 9
Luck: 7

Items: Weight
[SPOILER]Gotthard Twinswords[/SPOILER]: 6.5
[SPOILER]Notched Whip[/SPOILER]: 2.0
[SPOILER]Grass Crest Shield[/SPOILER]: 4.5
Billed Mask: 3.7
Firelink Armor: 8.6
Black Gauntlet: 3.5
Black Leggings: 4.5
Prisoner's Chain: 0.8
Ring of Favor: 1.5
Carthus Milkring: 0.8
Knight Slayer's Ring: 0.9
Kukri
Undead Hunter Charm

Total Weight: 37.3 / 62(with 22 Vitality): 60.16%

(To make this SL 120 I would give both Vigor and Endurance an extra 10)

Seems like a simple quality build that will let me have fun with Fashion Souls. I used spoil tags on weapon/shield names and special affects for items

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So what's a typical Warrior stat allocation? I'm guessing strength, vigor, endurance and vitality? But in what ratio?

No one? This will be my first Dark Souls and I'd rather build somewhat correctly as to not make the game any harder than it has to be lol. I'll be focusing on axe/sheild or 2h axe most likely.

LowParry

This reminds me that I need to finish Bloodbourne and the expansion. But this looks more to my flavor since there are different classes. I've always wanted to try a ranged class. Hmmmmmmm.

Sullichin

Magic is not as bad as I was led to believe.
Starting spells for a sorcerer or pyro are good for early bosses.

It's just that you don't have much health or endurance. Making it through the actual levels is tougher, especially if you want to go pure caster.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question -

How is your progress saved? Is it like Bloodborne where you have to find and activate those lanterns? How does the save system work? Thanks.

Sullichin

stupid question time.

how do i summon help? I have the white circlet but it's greed out? HALP! :/

That's not what the white circlet is for.

Use an ember. When you are in ember form, you can see signs on the ground. Orange and white signs are people offering to help.

Mandelbo

stupid question time.

how do i summon help? I have the white circlet but it's greed out? HALP! :/

You have to be in ember mode. When you are, you should be able to see summon signs on the ground, but you'll also be open to invasions.

Quick question -

How is your progress saved? Is it like Bloodborne where you have to find and activate those lanterns? How does the save system work? Thanks.

It's essentially the same as bloodborne, since bonfires and lanterns are basically identical, aside from the fact that resting at a bonfire respawns all enemies rather than having to warp away and back again. Like bloodborne, the game is constantly auto-saving too.

No one? This will be my first Dark Souls and I'd rather build somewhat correctly as to not make the game any harder than it has to be lol. I'll be focusing on axe/sheild or 2h axe most likely.

Never wrong to spend most points in vigor at the beginning. Strength 2nd. Also learn when to use your shield and when to dodge (maybe with shield up).

Sanctuary

Magic is not as bad as I was led to believe.
Starting spells for a sorcerer or pyro are good for early bosses.

It's just that you don't have much health or endurance. Making it through the actual levels is tougher, especially if you want to go pure caster.

This shouldn't be an issue with anyone familiar with the series. A lot of people that played casters would just keep all of their stats low, aside from the minimum requirements to use the most basic of weapon upgrades compared to your starter, while raising INT or FTH (or both) to near soft capped levels before raising END or anything else.

However, I'm fairly certain that many people who actually played that way also tried the same thing out in this game...
I still don't buy the "more health" means "easier" notion either, unless you're constantly getting one-shot by a boss as a caster type. Until the estus starts healing more than 3/4ths of my current health, I don't need to add more health.

tskeeve

Still, seems kind of pointless to even care about the damaging FTH spells if you have to use them up close. Defeats the purpose since you can just swing your weapon 2-3 times for the same overall damage within the same time frame.

That's a fair point, but I don't think that's unique to FTH spells. Even though I've played a lot of spell casters in Soulsborne games, I don't think they're all that interesting or useful given the combat system. Melee weapons do so much damage, so quickly, and without a mechanic limiting their use between bonfires. And it's not like you can't use a bow or a spear, or other weapons as a secondary to give yourself extra versatility. Melee actually is a more creative and versatile playstyle in these games, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
It's like Bloodborne and the other Souls games. Menu>Quit. Saves automatically

Seriously? Because if this is true, I might give Bloodborne another shot if I know that I can save before fighting a boss just by quitting to the main menu.

Neoweee

I think the problem was more the late game bosses, but I could be wrong. Not seeking to dissuade anybody from playing it, it's just that it feels like Hard Mode.

Eh, I feel that spellcasting should be balanced from start to end - I don't want to feel OP, just pew-pewing enemies to death, but neither do I want to have magic just be my conversation starter.

The risk-reward thing is a good point, and From are essentially daring casters to use casting range to their advantage. But I think the problem is that From upped the speed and aggressiveness without giving magic users the speed bonuses or range increase over previous games to deal with that.

An early spell, for example, is a faster, spammable Soul Arrow that does ridiculously low damage. As an aside, I always felt mages should get more tactical weapons instead of just more soul projectiles: clones that distract PvE enemies, a 3-second super armor, that sort of thing.

And re: stats, Sanctuary shared the video: a ring you get boosts cast speed nearly to the cap. Whether that's enough to make a significant in-game difference, I don't know.

I agree with most of this

A character build that is bad in early games and awesome or OP in the late game is pretty bad design for a game with stat respecs.

The spell system needs more work in general. FP being used for all types of builds is actually pretty nifty, but FP consumption really isn't in a good place right now.

Cast speed is the other big issue. I like the idea of the Pyromancy flames having a cool "melee" burst R2, but I don't think they pulled it off very well.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

It's hard to say as correct stat allocations via soft and hard caps, are calculated a bit after release. I'd say a couple months down the line. I wouldn't consider Vit an absolute must. Just put in enough points to hit under 70% equip load with your chosen gear.

Don't stress about it. You can respec stats so it's fine to experiment.

ogbg

My advice would be not to decide beforehand how you're going to play it. Try lots of things out and see what comes most naturally.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sanctuary, I thought you were going to hide out in a bunker today?

liar!

wbEMX

Quick question for you guys who managed to get a pre-release version on PC... did anyone play it on PC with the DualShock 4? And if yes, did you use DirectInput (i.e. the game recognizes the DS4 without additional programs it and displays PS button prompts, like Black Ops III and TrackMania Turbo did) or did you have to use DS4Windows?

isitstill

Seriously? Because if this is true, I might give Bloodborne another shot if I know that I can save before fighting a boss just by quitting to the main menu.
It auto saves, but always loads from the auto save and then auto saves over it. You can't revert to an old save (well you can, by using cloud saves or a flash drive, but that's outside of the game system).

Wht's the best way of accumulating ember? It was really easy to farm a bunch of Humanity from rats in the Depths of DS1, but embers seem rare/uncommon in DS3.

oroboros

As an aside, I always felt mages should get more tactical weapons instead of just more soul projectiles: clones that distract PvE enemies, a 3-second super armor, that sort of thing.

Yeah I really would like more spells that were tactical type things instead of just shooting different projectiles. Maybe some summons like you said to distract enemies away from you, and more crowd control like entanglements, stuns, maybe an area of protection type spell that blocks enemies from entering a spot on the ground for awhile. That would make magic so much more tactical and fun overall then just slinging DPS spells all day. I'd love to play as a summoner/necromancer in one of these games.

Sullichin

Wht's the best way of accumulating ember? I quite liked how being able to summon in Bloodborne didn't rely on a finite resource, and in DS1, it was really easy to farm a bunch of Humanity from rats in the Depths.

The
Lothric Knights
near the first real boss drop them. Drop rate isn't terrible and they become trivial enemies. Still more interesting to fight than rats though.

Also, helping people beat bosses or invading people will get you embers

vac

Neo Member
Got my CDKeys key!! Didn't get an email but I clicked the "download" link from the original pre-order email and the code is now up. So check that if you haven't got yours yet :)

Now to download....

Talk to me about the Herald class.

I picked Herald. So far it's going fine. I'm
just about to fight the guardian of the boreal valley or whatever.

I don't like that you don't have enough vitality to wear the lotheric knight gear, other than that it's all right. The heals are decent enough, but I ended up ditching the spear because the longsword is so badass.

The
Lothric Knights
near the first real boss drop them. Drop rate isn't terrible and they become trivial enemies. Still more interesting to fight than rats though.

Also, helping people beat bosses or invading people will get you embers

Thanks!

Also, how do I write messages? I haven't seen an orange soapstone yet.

Quick question -

Just like all Souls games, your progress is saved very, very frequently. Your home could lose power and you likely wouldn't lose more than a few seconds of progress.

Anyone else think that the
tainted undead with all the ink like appendages
are very un-souls like enemy designs? They just seem to thrash about and it's really hard to see what moves they're going to use.

Auctopus

How do I play offline? Been playing without online for the first two days but I can't seem to turn it off now the servers are on.

ogbg

Ah, no, sorry. I thought you were talking about exiting the game and keeping your progress. You can't stop the game from saving the fact that you died (unless you download the old save from the cloud or set it to read only on PC or something)

xkramz

could i get quick tip and suggestions on the pyromancer class.

thats the class i wanna try out. im not a pro at DS but i did beat BB. please advise i need quick answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom