• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

When I'm invading someone who clearly wants to fight and I see:

"Summoning another phantom"

I just Black Crystal out of there. No way am I playing into their game by being killed instantly.

C
rystal
S
Pinwheel 2.0
?

I knew I was going in to a boss fight because I'd seen an NPC summon sign not too far, but I was down to 2 Estus and thought I'd see what it was - thought it was a pretty easy boss, then I realised what happens if you don't
smash all the crystals
and got blasted from every angle! I did manage to get it down to 30% HP, so I wish I'd found this on my SL1 character since I totally missed it but it seems a very easy early boss.

smash crystals? no fucking wonder I had trouble there. it was like a goddamn cave shooter in the second phase. Basically had to get lucky with spawns and hit n run tactics. but i suppose i can add an extra inch to my souls penis for beating him the legit hardcore non-casual way. (jk)

Sullichin

Screaming from fans probably kept all the good additions from DSII out.

Should have kept Bonfire Ascetics, but not the respawning enemies.
And red phantoms/new enemy placement in NG+
Maaaybe a dueling arena.

That's all that's missing from 2 that I would like back I think

Afrocious

Hmn. I started off STR and have been enjoying it throughout. I've only been thinking DEX might be good because the stamina spends required for really big wepons seem like they're more likely to get you fucked when you need to go on defense. What about DEX are you guys not liking?

Granted I only got one or two hours into my Dex DS3 character before starting over. I didn't like how it took too many hits to do significant damage on enemies. Maybe it was because I went with the Assassin and used the knife.

Fighting the first boss was a pain in the ass.

Fighting the first boss as a knight was a walk in the park complete with parries and two-handed fun.

Also, though this is a sentiment I have from the other Souls games, I hate how good DEX weapons are later in the game or harder to come by. I'm actually now getting DEX weapons I'd consider using on my dex character like the sellsword twinblades.

I wouldn't mind the Uchi either but it felt too slow for me.

There are a lot of little additions from DS II that havent been carried over.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Missing the power stances and bonfire stuff. In some cases it's kind of a shame. But I like that enemies don't despawn. It made DS2 feel empty by the end (at least in my game, lol).

I wonder if it's that, or internal From politics where Miyazaki didn't like some of the changes the B-Team made...?

Astral

I really wish fextralife had all the weapon info already. I wanna know if it's actually worth it to invest materials and a sharp gem on a mail breaker just for backstabs.

Sullichin

C
rystal
S
Pinwheel 2.0
?

I knew I was going in to a boss fight because I'd seen an NPC summon sign not too far, but I was down to 2 Estus and thought I'd see what it was - thought it was a pretty easy boss, then I realised what happens if you don't
smash all the crystals
and got blasted from every angle! I did manage to get it down to 30% HP, so I wish I'd found this on my SL1 character since I totally missed it but it seems a very easy early boss.

Don't even know what you mean by
smashing all the crystals. You just have to find the one shooting purple shit. That's the real crystal sage, everyone else fires blue

Dominator

In Ferron Keep, I
went up this ladder in the swamp and am faced with this boss. He doesn't even have a boss health bar but he's the toughest son of a bitch I've fought so far. He's killed me 10 times now.

Afrocious

In Ferron Keep, I
went up this ladder in the swamp and am faced with this boss. He doesn't even have a boss health bar but he's the toughest son of a bitch I've fought so far. He's killed me 10 times now.

That's a
Stray Demon.
It's basically a boss. You can use its soul to to make items too.

Ulldog

I have a vague question about the ending. Not really a spoiler, but just to be safe. Please answer as spoiler-free as possible

My charachter turned hollow (didn't release that was the cost of those free levels). I know this affects the ending. Will I get the "bad ending" if I don't heal it? Or is it simply a different ending?

It will cost me 67k souls. Is it worth it? (It's my first playthprough)

In Ferron Keep, I

Yeah, he's more of just a mini boss (though certainly not in stature). Or maybe you'd just call it a boss since you get a soul? I don't know.

GulAtiCa

In Ferron Keep, I

He's tough. Drops a
Boss Soul
too. Took me like 15 tries.

Neoweee

There's a lot of good additions that have been kept, just few of the ones that contributed to build variety or replay value.

I wonder if it's that, or internal From politics where Miyazaki didn't like some of the changes the B-Team made...?

My guess is that he's very specific with how he wants some things to work, and doesn't put much importance in build variety or build balance.

Afrocious

seems like all the cool shit is for STR based builds =/ great looking weapons/armor, no love for DEX

This was my complaint throughout the Souls games.

DS3 *does* have cool DEX weapons but again, they're a bit late in the game or harder to get.

Nothing has touched Bloodborne's STR-S-scale pizza cutter though. That was the biggest middle finger the game gave my dex/skill hunter.

Citadel

Sorry for the questions, last one. If I'm to go for a Dancer/dual blade type build, should I focus on leveling up dexterity/endurance mainly - along with vigor?

This is the best game I've played since Dark Souls 1. The exploration is so fun, the areas a huge and look amazing. The atmosphere is fantastic and the music...hnnnnnnng

Granted I only got one or two hours into my Dex DS3 character before starting over. I didn't like how it took too many hits to do significant damage on enemies. Maybe it was because I went with the Assassin and used the knife.

Fighting the first boss was a pain in the ass.

Fighting the first boss as a knight was a walk in the park complete with parries and two-handed fun.

Also, though this is a sentiment I have from the other Souls games, I hate how good DEX weapons are later in the game or harder to come by. I'm actually now getting DEX weapons I'd consider using on my dex character like the sellsword twinblades.

I wouldn't mind the Uchi either but it felt too slow for me.

Mercenary Class starts with Sellsword Twinblades. :p
I'm doing that class although I ditched them pretty quick and went with Uchigatana instead and then dual wild Uchi + Irithyll Sword.

Afrocious

Sorry for the questions, last one. If I'm to go for a Dancer/dual blade type build, should I focus on leveling up dexterity/endurance mainly - along with vigor?

IMO yes. You also wanna put some points in increasing FP and I forget which stat does that.

But the real answer is to start over and go STR unless you enjoy running around with a butter knife all the way to Farron's Keep.

Mercenary Class starts with Sellsword Twinblades. :p
I'm doing that class although I ditched them pretty quick and went with Uchigatana instead and then dual wild Uchi + Irithyll Sword.

You sure? Those aren't those lame twin daggers?

Ophelion

IMO yes. You also wanna put some points in increasing FP and I forget which stat does that.

But the real answer is to start over and go STR unless you enjoy running around with a butter knife all the way to Farron's Keep.

Attunement does for sure. Not sure if any of the other magic stats influence it at all.

That moment you realize your bow does more damage against
Sulyvahn
than your other weapons, and that's how you end up beating
him
in
his
second phase.

Plum

Just managed to kill a Host who knew I was there and was actively looking for me without touching them once. Shame I didn't record it, it was great.

Geeun

Any other Broadsword bros found a suitable replacement they like? This thing is +9 now and I've tried out dozens (dozens!) of other weapons and haven't found anything as fast, hard hitting or with as versatile a moveset. Right now a str/dex build.

I know it's possible, probable to keep whatever you like all the way through but I'm flush with all other kinds of titanite and want suggestions on something to sink them into.

My broadsword is +6 and I also have tried other weapons. I keep going back to the broadsword. It shreds through enemies.

oldmario

(near end boss spoilers)
i have no idea why it worked but i managed to beat
Oceiros the Consumed King
when the music changes it charges at you and i got it stuck behind a tree and slowly killed it without taking any damge, just constantly spamming magic on it and now i feel dirty

Could anyone tell me about how far I am in this game? I just beat
Yhorm the Giant
and I'm currently fighting the
Pontiff
guy. I've also beaten the
Abyss Watchers
Wolnir
, and the
Deacons

Afrocious

That moment you realize your bow does more damage against
Sulyvahn
than your other weapons, and that's how you end up beating
him
in
his
second phase.

I'm going to undoubtedly get a lot of flack for this and open the floodgates of people wanting to brag about how gud they are, but goddamn I found that fight hard - even with two sunbros backing me up.

I'm going to go through the game again and solo the boss but holy shit I wasn't expecting such a difficulty spike.

So far the game has done well not resorting so much to the big human-like boss with huge weapon archetype with bosses, but this one was like the return of the Fume Knight.

I have a vague question about the ending. Not really a spoiler, but just to be safe. Please answer as spoiler-free as possible

My charachter turned hollow (didn't release that was the cost of those free levels). I know this affects the ending. Will I get the "bad ending" if I don't heal it? Or is it simply a different ending?

It will cost me 67k souls. Is it worth it? (It's my first playthprough)

That will not change your ending. It's a factor for what people consider the true ending, but it's not the only factor and it's very possible you may have missed the other factor required to unlock it. That's about the best I can do without ruining anything, but you should also bear in mind that it won't be the bad ending, that's acquired in a different way

Sellsword Twinblades are different than the Brigand Twin Daggers.

Actually I can't remember... but I'm pretty sure since the whole starter armor set is Sellsword, and I got the dual twin blades through the game and were different weapons.

Neoweee

Any other Broadsword bros found a suitable replacement they like? This thing is +9 now and I've tried out dozens (dozens!) of other weapons and haven't found anything as fast, hard hitting or with as versatile a moveset. Right now a str/dex build.

I know it's possible, probable to keep whatever you like all the way through but I'm flush with all other kinds of titanite and want suggestions on something to sink them into.

Irithyl Straight Sword. Trades some damage for quite a bit more range.

Plum

Could anyone tell me about how far I am in this game? I just beat
Yhorm the Giant
and I'm currently fighting the
Pontiff
guy. I've also beaten the
Abyss Watchers
Wolnir
, and the
Deacons

About 3/4 of the way through I'd say if you don't find/complete any of the optional areas.

seems like all the cool shit is for STR based builds =/ great looking weapons/armor, no love for DEX

I've got a huuuuuge stack of useless-to-me Dex weapons that would strongly disagree with this sentiment! Though I'm going to be dropping some point in it so I can use this B
lack Blade
people have been going crazy about on here.

FROM needs to buff the bosses with more health, they die too fast. I have a iryhill straight +3 and every hit takes away too much health from bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom