• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

STR yes, but fill me in on early Dex weapons.

Uchigatana's gotta be one of the best dex weapons and is available immediately
Estoc
Rapier
Sellsword Twinblades
Lothric Knightsword is good with Sharp infusion but probably better refined?
Great Scythe
Crystal Rapier, more for a magic build but still worth getting for item drop +
Black Bow of Pharis
Arstor's Spear
Farron Greatsword, A dex scaling at +5

Portugeezer

So, uh, has anyone experienced a glitch in which enemies would die randomly? Like, for no reason I turn around or I'm not looking at an enemy and it dies...

Has happened about 3 or 4 times now.

In the catacombs,
the boulder thingy died for no reason as it was rolling up and down, is this normal?

So, uh, has anyone experienced a glitch in which enemies would die randomly? Like, for no reason I turn around or I'm not looking at an enemy and it dies...

In the catacombs,
the boulder thingy died for no reason as it was rolling up and down, is this normal?

That's not random. You killed an enemy that was hiding in a corner. That causes that boulder to crash and break, netting you an undead bone shard.
If I use a purge stone to become pretty again it would break Yuria sidequest?

No. That's fine. Just don't actually heal the
dark sigil at the fire keeper.

Anybody have any tips for this game. Other than "get good." I played Demons Souls and made it halfway through before I stopped for some reason. Played Dark Souls 2 and didnt like it. I'm pretty determined to get into this one. I'm just not very good. I inch my way through every level. I havent got to the first real boss yet and I'm just crap at the game.

I mean I just might not be good at these damn games....

Sullichin

Everyone is raving about the Dark Sword, Long Sword and Broad Sword - straight swords in general (DEX). Don't see anyone raving about STR weapons.

Dark Sword is best as a STR weapon, A scaling on the heavy path. It's a beast.
I've been raving about
Black Knight Greataxe
, Great Club, Great Machete, regular Great Axe. The big hammers and axes are pretty great.

In the catacombs,

Yeah, they eventually die once you kill the guys with the cool hats.

In the catacombs,

It's not random
the boulder takes damage after slamming into the walls each time, and eventually it dies, that's the only way to get its undead ashes or whatever

Mupod

Estoc
Rapier
Sellsword Twinblades
Great Scythe
Black Bow of Pharis
Arstor's Spear

was surprised that it's already turned into B/B scaling as refined. I went straight from +3 to +6 so I don't know when. But yeah really loving this sword. I had a brief stint with the dark sword but I don't really see what makes it better.

Need help.

I am currently using +4 Flamberge.

My Str is 26 and my Dex is 18.

I've found Murakumo. I kinda wanna use it, but at +4 it does worse than flamberge.

But Murakumo has better scalling with those stats, so there's a chance it will outdo flamberge at a later date. But it doesn't have additional fire damage.

What do you think, should I just stick with Flamberge that carried me for about most of the game now, or should I go for Murakumo. Since my dominant stat is STR, should I infuse Murakumo with Heavy and thus make it better. or should I just infuse Flamberge with Heavy to improve str scaling? Or not infuse at all?

You can purchase slabs?

I think he's saying that there isn't a big functional difference between +9 and +10 and getting to +9 is easier than its ever been.

was surprised that it's already turned into B/B scaling as refined. I went straight from +3 to +6 so I don't know when. But yeah really loving this sword. I had a brief stint with the dark sword but I don't really see what makes it better.

Dark Sword has greatsword damage output but is a light straight sword. It is also the only light straight sword that has a great sword weapon art, if I recall correctly.

However, I still don't see why people cling to it. Been destroying everything with an uchigatana since before entering firelink and I've never felt underpowered.

I feel lied to
yhorm was decently tough. Not the hardest by any means, but the wiki made it sound like he was the easiest shit ever, and the fact that you get no indication of how to use the weapon to beat him makes it a pain. He also killed siegward cause I had no idea how to use the Damn weapon my first go around. Oh well, into the next boss.

pa22word

STR yes, but fill me in on early Dex weapons.
You can get both uchi and the rapier less than an hour into the game. Both of which are pretty good weapons.

My favorite weapons on my dex run was ricards and the carthus shotel. Chaos blade was fun too, but i doubt many would put up with its health drain pre-ring of the evil eye+1

Sullichin

They're both really good. Imo Lothric has the better move set, because it's more thrust focused, and seems a bit faster and with slightly better range.

Dark Sword is what you use if you wanna give a guy a concussion with every hit. The heavy attacks and weapon skill are really good at breaking poise. Heavy Dark Sword does great damage against bosses.

taybul

That's not random. You killed an enemy that was hiding in a corner. That causes that boulder to crash and break, netting you an undead bone shard.

I never questioned why/how the boulder of bones would go up the stairs but after killing this guy and seeing it stop it made more sense. Kinda funny and explained why he would simply run away from you. I think he also reanimates the enemies even after you kill them.

The lock-on is really being a shit during the
Dancer
boss fight.
There's so much crap spread out around the edge of the arena it kind of feels like it's intentional.

Actually if you look close, I think that the things making up the boulder are alive and are actively propelling the boulder back and forth by reaching out and grabbing the floor. I could be wrong though.

About the the reanimation... pay attention to the enemies'
eye colors

White means they'll come back once.

Audioboxer

Estoc
Rapier
Sellsword Twinblades
Great Scythe
Black Bow of Pharis
Arstor's Spear

Forgetting some of my favs

Warden Twinblades
Carthus Curved Greatsword
Carthus Curved Sword

All with bleed <3 Bleed is pretty decent this time around. Pumping my luck to aid it.

can someone explain to me hollowing. I didn't know what I was doing and I took a few free levels from
the Yoel guy?

Did I screw myself out of the good ending? I just beat the Crystal Sages.

It was a good change.

I mean, I wouldn't complain if they were easily farmable here, but again, I'm of the opinion that there isn't much functional difference between +9 and +10.

I think it feels great to fully upgrade a weapon, but I don't think it's necessary.

FtHTiny

Man the pvp is dumb some times.
The host and 2 phantoms with more estus and stuff against 3 invaders that can hurt eachother and have less resources...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I mean, I wouldn't complain if they were easily farmable here, but again, I'm of the opinion that there isn't much functional difference between +9 and +10.

I think it feels great to fully upgrade a weapon, but I don't think it's necessary.

Then why bother with it? That makes there limitness even more absurd.

Sullichin

No. That's fine. Just don't actually heal the
dark sigil at the fire keeper.

Oh man I don't think I ever did this. Missing some undead shards and that doesn't sound familiar at all.

This game will have legs, but it's cool to play these games when they're brand new and threads like these are active. Tons of people playing online.

There's lots of DS1 references in 3 that are satisfying, if you're into things like that.
Can't go wrong either way.

I would play DS3 as it is very active right now with online play and it is fun discovering things while the game is new. You can always go back and play the others, the tie-ins aren't overly critical to enjoy DS3.

If you have DS1 already, I say play that.

A lot of my joy from DS3 comes from running through DS1 a bunch, but that's just me.

I've always thought the same about how Dark Souls is like Zelda to me.

If I were you I would play this now and Dark Souls 1 later. The online experience in these games are much better during the release window.

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

I didn't really even think about the online aspect, but I do remember it being incredibly tense when someone invaded you in DS1 (and incredibly satisfying putting the invaders in their place).

That said, I think I'll pick up DS3 and just revisit DS1 since it's not going anywhere if I'm feeling up to it/have the time.

I got tons of good str/dex weapons, you guys are nuts. Now faith weapon... they don't exist.

A lot of the weapons seem to be "quality" type weapons that are balanced between str and dex. It seems a little hard to guess what scaling will be once you infuse them but lightning seems to add S scaling for faith to normal type weapons like the longsword. Astora sword is actually faith weapon that you can pick up early. It has no faith scaling but it's base damage is higher and it requires faith.

Aurongel

Just beat it, my god that final boss is just a kick right in the feels. Not going to spoil it but if you're a fan of these games then you'll understand that the final boss is as much a love letter as it is a kick in the nuts.

Just a shame that much like the original Dark Souls, this game
kinda goes to shit after Anor Londo :/

E92 M3

Just beat it, my god that final boss is just a kick right in the feels. Not going to spoil it but if you're a fan of these games then you'll understand that the final boss is as much a love letter as it is a kick in the nuts.

Just a shame that much like the original Dark Souls, this game
kinda goes to shit after Anor Londo :/

What? Every area is super good and consistent. Much better than DS1 in that regard.

sora87

So, these two
dragons
over the bridge, how the hell am i supposed to get past them? The
floors always covered with fire so you can't run and they're spewing fire constantly

Need help.

I am currently using +4 Flamberge.

My Str is 26 and my Dex is 18.

I've found Murakumo. I kinda wanna use it, but at +4 it does worse than flamberge.

But Murakumo has better scalling with those stats, so there's a chance it will outdo flamberge at a later date. But it doesn't have additional fire damage.

What do you think, should I just stick with Flamberge that carried me for about most of the game now, or should I go for Murakumo. Since my dominant stat is STR, should I infuse Murakumo with Heavy and thus make it better. or should I just infuse Flamberge with Heavy to improve str scaling? Or not infuse at all?

Bump for the new page. Are there any data bases for weapon damage and stuff

Ferrio

Banned
A lot of the weapons seem to be "quality" type weapons that are balanced between str and dex. It seems a little hard to guess what scaling will be once you infuse them but lightning seems to add S scaling for faith to normal type weapons like the longsword. Astora sword is actually faith weapon that you can pick up early. It has no faith scaling but it's base damage is higher and it requires faith.

Don't think I have a lightning gem right now. Doesn't matter anymore though, I got the spell.

taybul

So, these two
dragons
over the bridge, how the hell am i supposed to get past them? The
floors always covered with fire so you can't run and they're spewing fire constantly

You can make it across that area once you get in the building on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom