• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the best game I've played since Dark Souls 1. The exploration is so fun, the areas a huge and look amazing. The atmosphere is fantastic and the music...hnnnnnnng

I was in a new area late in the game last night and I just stopped, realizing that exploring a new area in a Souls game is just my favorite thing in gaming right now: low on health, only a couple of estus flasks left, in a new area with no idea what lies ahead or which direction to go. I'm trying to savor this first run as long as possible. :)

Irithyl Straight Sword. Trades some damage for quite a bit more range.

Thanks! After some wiki searching I actually picked that or
Anri's
sword to start upgrading as a replacement. Is there enough twinkling to max both?

Citadel

IMO yes. You also wanna put some points in increasing FP and I forget which stat does that.

But the real answer is to start over and go STR unless you enjoy running around with a butter knife all the way to Farron's Keep.

Thanks for the reply! My first character was actually a Knight/Str build, so I wanted to do something different this time around, hence the Assassin starting class -> Dancer build in the near future. I've been using the uchigatana up until now, and it's been fairly good for me so far. It's been much more of a grind compared to my Knight, but it's been fun.

But anyways, yeah, I'll focus on dex and endurance for now, and see what happens when I get my twin blades. Thanks again!

edit: I don't use any spells .. or at least, I don't know how, so I'll need to look into FP)

Afrocious

Actually I can't remember... but I'm pretty sure since the whole starter armor set is Sellsword, and I got the dual twin blades through the game and were different weapons.

Just did a quick search. Looks like those are definitely the sellsword twinblades.

Guess I'll be rolling Merc instead of Assassin in my DEX run then.

ApharmdX

Banned
In Ferron Keep, I
went up this ladder in the swamp and am faced with this boss. He doesn't even have a boss health bar but he's the toughest son of a bitch I've fought so far. He's killed me 10 times now.

You fight him like you fight one of the fat-bottom demons in Dark Souls, I think? I got him on the second try.

KHlover

Banned
Could someone please tell me where the elevator in front of the (first?) fog gate of
Lothric Castle
leads to? Just as I stepped on the plate an enemy did that as well and while we were trapped in a 1m2 space he killed me since my weapon bounces off walls, whereas most enemies shit on that.

Ferr986

I have a shitton of keys for the dungeon yet I dont remember opening any, and I think I explored it fully. Whats the deal with this?

Arjen

Could someone please tell me where the elevator in front of the (first?) fog gate of
Lothric Castle
leads to? Just as I stepped on the plate an enemy did that as well and while we were trapped in a 1m2 space he killed me since my weapon bounces off walls, whereas most enemies shit on that.

I think
near the entrance when you come up the ladder, in the room with the red eyed Knight to your left

Kamina

Golden Boy
I have a vague question about the ending. Not really a spoiler, but just to be safe. Please answer as spoiler-free as possible

My charachter turned hollow (didn't release that was the cost of those free levels). I know this affects the ending. Will I get the "bad ending" if I don't heal it? Or is it simply a different ending?

It will cost me 67k souls. Is it worth it? (It's my first playthprough)
It wont affect your ending unlless you completed the Anri Of Astora Quest path which ends with you becoming lord of hollows

Afrocious

Thanks for the reply! My first character was actually a Knight/Str build, so I wanted to do something different this time around, hence the Assassin starting class -> Dancer build in the near future. I've been using the uchigatana up until now, and it's been fairly good for me so far. It's been much more of a grind compared to my Knight, but it's been fun.

But anyways, yeah, I'll focus on dex and endurance for now, and see what happens when I get my twin blades. Thanks again!

edit: I don't use any spells .. or at least, I don't know how, so I'll need to look into FP)

You'll need FP to do the neat combat moves.

the
Aldrich
boss fight is triggering me so hard right now.
the stupid barrage of arrows.
what the fuck is that

This is where I'm at right now. I'm able to get...him/her/it... halfway dead easy enough. I know you can hide behind the pillars to avoid the arrows... or at least I think so.

Watch out for that huge purple beam tho

bbd23

the
Aldrich
what the fuck is that

I'm sure this may have been asked before, but please hear me out. I'm thinking about picking up DS3 as I really enjoyed what I played of the first one. However, I got busy with school while playing the first one and wasn't able to beat it due to a lack of time/forgetting how to play when I came back to it.

I'm out of school now and have had a bit of free time after work, and my girlfriend is studying for finals so now I feel is the perfect time for me to jump back in. I own an XB1 and recently tried to start the first one from the start via backwards compatibility, but it turns out I'm a bit of a graphics whore and never realized it (cue XB1 jokes).

As to my personal preference, I liked the difficulty of DS1. In fact, I never really had a major issue with it until I took so long of a break that I forgot the controls. But my favorite aspect of these games is the exploration/secrets to discover. It may be odd, but this game reminded me of Zelda for adults in terms of discovering hidden areas and new weapons/gear (ALTTP was hard as shit when I was a kid lol).

So here is my dilemma: should I... 1) just suck it up and play through the first game to get the full experience of the series, 2) say to hell with it and go buy DS3 today (which is tempting), or 3) pick up the remastered version of DS2 before moving on to DS3?

Nameless

I lost 35k souls rushing back to a boss after getting cocky/sloppy against a fucking silver knight. Worked out for the best since I went into shot #3 against
Aldrich
with nothing to lose and figured out he's a cupcake if you relentlessly stay on top of him.

sol740

You'll become numb to it soon enough. ;)

True enough.

However first playthrough, when you're still trying to build up your character, and upgrade the weapons you've decided to use, and Souls/Echoes still matter, that big dump still pains me in a way only Souls games can.

Heartbreak.

BKJest

Which ones? Did that area again yesterday and don't remember anything too bad.
Dual Katana guy, mage and shield & hammer guy. But I'm probably just bad. The last few bosses were all one shots but those are giving me trouble. But I'm always having more trouble with multiple enemies.

Afrocious

I'm sure this may have been asked before, but please hear me out. I'm thinking about picking up DS3 as I really enjoyed what I played of the first one. However, I got busy with school while playing the first one and wasn't able to beat it due to a lack of time/forgetting how to play when I came back to it.

I'm out of school now and have had a bit of free time after work, and my girlfriend is studying for finals so now I feel is the perfect time for me to jump back in. I own an XB1 and recently tried to start the first one from the start via backwards compatibility, but it turns out I'm a bit of a graphics whore and never realized it (cue XB1 jokes).

As to my personal preference, I liked the difficulty of DS1. In fact, I never really had a major issue with it until I took so long of a break that I forgot the controls. But my favorite aspect of these games is the exploration/secrets to discover. It may be odd, but this game reminded me of Zelda for adults in terms of discovering hidden areas and new weapons/gear (ALTTP was hard as shit when I was a kid lol).

So here is my dilemma: should I... 1) just suck it up and play through the first game to get the full experience of the series, 2) say to hell with it and go buy DS3 today (which is tempting), or 3) pick up the remastered version of DS2 before moving on to DS3?

If you have DS1 already, I say play that.

A lot of my joy from DS3 comes from running through DS1 a bunch, but that's just me.

E92 M3

These days, my blood stain is worth over 3 million souls. Makes it very exciting trying to get it back haha.

Just how I like it.

Sullichin

the
Aldrich
what the fuck is that

It's by far his worst attack, nothing else he does will kill you that fast. You need to run the hell away. It's possible to get behind him IF the arrows are tracking in front and not behind him, and get a lot of damage off. But it's very risky and this is more viable if you have a phantom and the arrow attack was aimed at them.

Nekrono

So a couple days ago I heard someone on a stream say that DSIII favors strength builds, is this true?

Previous Souls games I've always played strength builds and I have to say even though I do like the look of heavy armor/weapons I'm not enjoying very much lack of speed and agility that usually comes with it, especially after having finished DS2 a couple days ago.

I was thinking of mixing it up this time by going on a dex build but if the game favors strength I might stick with it again. What do you guys think?

taybul

the
Aldrich
what the fuck is that

Yeah that move is a bitch. What I did was immediately run to the opposite corner and when I see the barrage about to hit switch to rolling and take sharp turns.

The Lamp

They're all great games. DS3 is just "more of the good stuff." DS2 is the most unlike the others but all 3 are all still quite similar. If you feel like finishing DS1 I think you will really like it. If you want to move onto DS3, you can, and you will also really like it. Depends on how much time you have to play these games and how much content you want. If you have the time, I would play and beat all 3.

Just did a quick search. Looks like those are definitely the sellsword twinblades.

Guess I'll be rolling Merc instead of Assassin in my DEX run then.

Going back to your starting appreciation I should say that I got lots of different weapons so far from DEX to STR, my only gripe is that most of the DEX weapons are spears and spears sucks a lot in this game, their moveset are extremely boring to me, the good thing is that I really like the swords I'm using right now.

dealer-

the
Aldrich
what the fuck is that

Yeah that move is a bitch. What I did was immediately run to the opposite corner and when I see the barrage about to hit switch to rolling and take sharp turns.

Yeah you need to move towards him, moving left to right so you can try and get behind him.

Ulldog

That will not change your ending. It's a factor for what people consider the true ending, but it's not the only factor and it's very possible you may have missed the other factor required to unlock it. That's about the best I can do without ruining anything, but you should also bear in mind that it won't be the bad ending, that's acquired in a different way

Thanks man, I'll just keep on playing then.

ejoshua

Neo Member
Been playing it on Stream since off and on since Tuesday, and it's been a blast. Been my first "Souls" game, so I came in blind and its turned out to be a favorite. It's one of the few games where I won't be playing it and I'll think, "I really need to be playing this right now."

I'm terrible and play in bursts, so I only just got to the second fire in the first area after the main hub, but my greatest achievement so far was
defeating the guy with the Uchigata(?) katana, and I've been rocking that.

Now I am struggling with
the Knight that is right before the second bonfire. I ran past him to unlock the bonfire, and once I can replenish some patience and stream again I'm going to go back and fix his little red wagon.

ApharmdX

Banned
In the dungeons of I
rithyll,
how do I get to the bottom piece of treasure that I can see through a window when standing where the giant was? I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Kaibutsu

I am the Black Swordsman.

Code:
[IMG]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/12983956_10154108927937392_5968268208988759305_o.jpg[/IMG]

GRIFFITH!!!!!

Just curious but how did you get to 9 Estus flasks without any +'s? Were you using the undead bone shards for something else?

Manu

the
Aldrich
what the fuck is that

This is where I'm at right now. I'm able to get...him/her/it... halfway dead easy enough. I know you can hide behind the pillars to avoid the arrows... or at least I think so.

Watch out for that huge purple beam tho

You know what worked for me after dying a few times?

Lock on to him all the time, and run when he shoots the arrows. That way you can see Aldrich to keep track of his other attacks, and see the arrows behind you. Never break lock-on.

Sullichin

This game will have legs, but it's cool to play these games when they're brand new and threads like these are active. Tons of people playing online.

There's lots of DS1 references in 3 that are satisfying, if you're into things like that.
Can't go wrong either way.

Respect

Disappointed to hear NG+ isn't much different, DS2 certainly nailed that aspect.

I would play DS3 as it is very active right now with online play and it is fun discovering things while the game is new. You can always go back and play the others, the tie-ins aren't overly critical to enjoy DS3.

Afrocious

Feel free to skip 2 though. I loved 2, but DS1 and 3 work well together.

You know what worked for me after dying a few times?

Lock on to him all the time, and run when he shoots the arrows. That way you can see Aldrich to keep track of his other attacks, and see the arrows behind you. Never break lock-on.

Awesome. Will keep this in mind. I already know this boss isn't as hard as the one before him...

Sullichin

I want to make a caster-heavy build next, with pyro, sorceries, and miracles. So heavy int/faith focus.

However it's SO easy to fuck up questlines and such and fuck yourself out of spells and stuff.

Is there a good guide/checklist to not miss this stuff?

Unai

I've always thought the same about how Dark Souls is like Zelda to me.

If I were you I would play this now and Dark Souls 1 later. The online experience in these games are much better during the release window.

Rizific

See lots of dex people say all they're finding are str weapons and str people saying they're all finding dex weapons haha.

There's a lot of both.
thats pretty weird. i would assume chest contents/world items would be static, no?
This was my complaint throughout the Souls games.

DS3 *does* have cool DEX weapons but again, they're a bit late in the game or harder to get.

Nothing has touched Bloodborne's STR-S-scale pizza cutter though. That was the biggest middle finger the game gave my dex/skill hunter.

well at least thats good to hear!

eot

Banned
About the dude who levels you up for free
I read he gives you 5 free levels, but he's dead in my game and I only used him once. What gives?

The Lamp

About the dude who levels you up for free
I read he gives you 5 free levels, but he's dead in my game and I only used him once. What gives?

You have to use him all 5 times before he dies. He dies eventually I think just because he is a pilgrim (they all die).

Just installed this on my SSD after playing through about halfway through it. Has anyone found any significant differences? Load times were already pretty good on my HDD (other than the startup load, which takes almost 30 secs from clicking play to the title screen) so I can't imagine it'll be too big of a difference.

See lots of dex people say all they're finding are str weapons and str people saying they're all finding dex weapons haha.

There's a lot of both.

Everyone is raving about the Dark Sword, Long Sword and Broad Sword - straight swords in general (DEX). Don't see anyone raving about STR weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom