• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need help beating
Yhorm.

I just don't understand the Storm Ruler weapon mechanics. Can someone just explain real quick how I'm supposed to use it? Controls and such?

Charge up the weapon art, until you hear the sound and the effects start going wild and then use the heavy or weapon art again to unleash, at least that's how I remember it.

FtHTiny

Need help beating
Yhorm.

I just don't understand the Storm Ruler weapon mechanics. Can someone just explain real quick how I'm supposed to use it? Controls and such?

Hold the left trigger until the weapon is fully charged. It has some kind of whirlwind around it. Lock onto him while holding left trigger and pull right trigger to unleash the charge.

so hey, where are the illusory walls? i see messages telling me there's an illusory wall but nope, never. happened like 6-7 times now and it's getting annoying. are people REALLY leaving the msgs and even up-voting them, when they're just a troll?

i just want to find ONE that is actually an illusory wall, goddamnit.

i'm supposed to hit the wall right, like always? and not kick or roll at it or something..

You're getting trolled. And yes, you just swing the sword. I haven't found a single legit message for a wall.

Astral

so hey, where are the illusory walls? i see messages telling me there's an illusory wall but nope, never. happened like 6-7 times now and it's getting annoying. are people REALLY leaving the msgs and even up-voting them, when they're just a troll?

i'm supposed to hit the wall right, like always? and not kick or roll at it or something..

Lol this was me a couple of days ago. It's just people trolling but there are walls. I've found maybe 3 or 4.

I can see going from light weapon with some magic to heavy weapon, but not from heavy weapon on playthrough #1 and then magic only on playthrough # 2. Are there that many people who play these games that differently on each playthrough? Personally it's rare that I finish NG+, so it's not a concern at all for me...

It was the weapons itselves for me. In Bloodborne Playthrough #1: Started with Threaded Cane, then to Saw Spear and Ludwig Sword for the core of the game, ended with Blades of Mercy.
Playthrough #2: Mix of Blades of Mercy and Gehrman's Scythe.
Playthrough #3: Chikage.

Those are all DEX weapons but to me were each so unique that I felt the urge to play with those again. Only the Chikage required a different build but when I decided to use it I was in New Game ++ so I had the stats required.

Now, with Dark Souls III I'm not thinking in playing again with X weapon, everytime I think about what I'm going to do when I finish is "I'm going to play Warrior the next time, and maybe Magic Knight the following".

Two hand it, Hold L2, Press R1

Charge up the weapon art, until you hear the sound and the effects start going wild and then use the heavy or weapon art again to unleash, at least that's how I remember it.

Hold the left trigger until the weapon is fully charged. It has some kind of whirlwind around it. Lock onto him while holding left trigger and pull right trigger to unleash the charge.

Thanks guys. Got him. That was actually super easy and a little gimmicky for a souls game.

Ferrio

Banned
Troll messages are great, had a couple get me pretty good. I only upvote the ones that are actually clever though, either ones that put you in danger or make you do something stupid. Like seeing a message on a ground that was positioned right above an enemy that drops on your head...dammit.

sappyday

So I'm at the end of Lothric Castle but what I want to do is see if I can go back and finish some story lines for NPCs. Can I still do that even though I'm that far? Like for example, I was supposed to run into
Seigward
at the CotD but I didn't.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So co-op with a friend is fun, I'm doing a second playthrough as Dex and my friend is with me and we keep getting invaded and just shit stomping them.

I'm surprised that I haven't found any large titanite shards yet, I'm still using a +3 weapon and I'm at C
athedral
of D
erp
/ F
arron
K
eep
(half explored both).

Either I've missed them (quite possible) or this is another area where the game is more linear. Bloodborne was this way too where you had a more linear upgrade progression, and it seemed very gated as to when you were going to be able to get upgrade materials. Compared to DS1 where you could go several ways from the start and find high upgrade materials as long as you had the moxy to get them.

So far the game is playing like a 'best of' of the series, and it's been great - but I'm missing the choices that you have in all the other Souls games - even DS2 let you progress in several different directions right from the start, and where I am now is the first time I've had a choice in areas to explore. I really thought for the price the tower key from the merchant in Firelink was going to open up another area, that's really the only disappointment so far, other than that I have not a single criticism to say about it.

So I'm at the end of Lothric Castle but what I want to do is see if I can go back and finish some story lines for NPCs. Can I still do that even though I'm that far? Like for example, I was supposed to run into
Seigward
at the CotD but I didn't.

You can't do that one any more, you have to do it before Yhorm. You can maybe do that Sirris girl questline still, and the miracle girl.

ApharmdX

Banned

There are walls. Some areas have more than one. One area has an illusory fence. I mark them when I find them but yeah, there's a lot of fake messages for walls. I try to mark the fake messages too :)

MilkBeard

Whew. Finally beat
Aldrich
. Was the hardest fight for me so far, because I'm usually not paying too much attention to magic defense. It was a serious roll fest too. Have to learn the patterns and then beef up on magic and dark defense. After I found better equipment and went up a couple levels, the fight wasn't so bad.

Big Brett

I'm surprised that I haven't found any large titanite shards yet, I'm still using a +3 weapon and I'm at C
athedral
of D
erp
/ F
arron
K
eep
(half explored both).

Either I've missed them (quite possible) or this is another area where the game is more linear. Bloodborne was this way too where you had a more linear upgrade progression, and it seemed very gated as to when you were going to be able to get upgrade materials. Compared to DS1 where you could go several ways from the start and find high upgrade materials as long as you had the moxy to get them.

So far the game is playing like a 'best of' of the series, and it's been great - but I'm missing the choices that you have in all the other Souls games - even DS2 let you progress in several different directions right from the start, and where I am now is the first time I've had a choice in areas to explore. I really thought for the price the tower key from the merchant in Firelink was going to open up another area, that's really the only disappointment so far, other than that I have not a single criticism to say about it.

All I can say is there's long ways to go yet.

There is a way to get into a very late game area very quickly, but I really wouldn't recommend it for the first playthrough.

Aurongel

More thoughts on the final boss:

MEGA SPOILERS BELOW:
Soul of Cinder really is something else, I love the subtlety of it all. No subtitle to its' name, no fancy intro (like DS1), no dialogue. It's also maybe the only theme in the entire series (and especially DS3) that transitions to a more gentle sound as the battle progresses. Really just fantastic stuff. I like the finality of it, by the time the battle ends it really does feel like the end of all things Dark Souls in terms of the timeline.

eot

Banned
athedral
of D
erp
/ F
arron
K
eep
(half explored both).

You're about at the point where you'll start finding them.

More thoughts on the final boss:

MEGA SPOILERS BELOW:
Soul of Cinder really is something else, I love the subtlety of it all. No subtitle to its' name, no fancy intro (like DS1), no dialogue. It's also maybe the only theme in the entire series (and especially DS3) that transitions to a more gentle sound as the battle progresses. Really just fantastic stuff. I like the finality of it, by the time the battle ends it really does feel like the end of all things Dark Souls in terms of the timeline.

Well from a lore point I wouldn't really call it subtle since the music and the design
of the second phase are both from the Gwyn fight in DS 1
. But yes as a standalone fight it's really great.

LogicStep

30 hours and cathedral of the deep? wuh?
To be fair, I'm 21 hours in and just got there, I did find this area out of order. I got to the old demon or whatever his name was and didn't know where to go. I stumbled upon the dancer boss and put that in hold and kept exploring earlier areas and that's when I found the sorcerer boss and the cathedral. Maybe that's why.

xorx

Banned
So why can't
The Blades of the Darkmoon covenant invade while Sunbros can?

I never get summoned as a Blue. But whenever I invade there is a Blue there immediately.

SDCowboy

Anyone have any tips for
Aldrich
? I can't beat this boss to save my life even with someone else. Is there some way to cheese it? lol

bidguy

Banned
So why can't
The Blades of the Darkmoon covenant invade while Sunbros can?

I never get summoned as a Blue. But whenever I invade there is a Blue there immediately.

i think its weird how you get sunbro medals from invading. is that a bug ?

MilkBeard

Anyone have any tips for
Aldrich
? I can't beat this boss to save my life even with someone else. Is there some way to cheese it? lol

Equip armor that has really good magic and dark defense, equip the magic absorption rings, equip the grass crest shield if you have it, and dodge like a mofo. This will be all about pattern recognition. If you can't tank his hits (I surely couldn't) then you will have to memorize exactly when to roll.

I always found it relatively safe to get as close as possible as soon as possible. Except, watch out for when he shoots arrows. That will fuck you up if you are right on him. Attack the tail, try to not be right in front of him either.

Tirod

Earlyish location spoiler (I think) for those that might have insight:
Is Cathedral of the Deep endboss REALLY the deacon fight? Shit was so easy and went over like a wet fart after such an intricate level. I pillaged the hell out of that place though; found a STR based Crossbow and a covenant

I'm going to be heading over to
Farron Keep
now, but I just want to make sure I did everything in that last area.

Sullichin

Is Cathedral of the Deep endboss REALLY the deacon fight? Shit was so easy and went over like a wet fart after such an intricate level. I pillaged the hell out of that place though; found a STR based Crossbow and a covenant

Farron Keep

Yep that's it. Boss in the area you're going to now is quite a bit harder.

Farron Keep

Yep, cool idea for a boss,but not really that hard.

Mana Sin

Farron Keep

I think it's just a
"Your Lord is in another castle!"
moment

lol how about some weapons to make luck investment worthwhile. What a usless addition.

The current world record for an all bosses speed run is like 1 hour and 17 minutes using a Luck scaling weapon. Melts bosses in literally 30 seconds or less. Anri's Straight Sword with 40 luck and Carthus Resin (Bleed)

The Bleed proc goes off all the time and I'm pretty sure it's the best damage in the game. It straight up breaks the game and makes every boss encounter trivial. Pontiff dies in under 30 seconds.

Oh yeah and using fast hitting weapons stagger bosses more than any heavy 2-hander. It's beyond broken. You just spam R1 and a few combos in and they fall to one knee while you finish them off.

Tirod

Thank you for all your input!

Still a bit disappointed but I'm going to take a break before dealing with the next area.

Audioboxer

It's so satisfying when my Uchi causes bleed. Will a sharp Uchi still cause bleed pretty easily if I pump up my Luck or should I just create a bleed infused weapon?

I've gone sharp on bleed weapons and they still proc fine. Bumping up luck increased their bleed stat. I guess hollow might be good, but for now my dex/luck stat is going to be like 40 dex and 25~30 luck so I'm sticking with sharp.

The bleed resin really helps out as well to buff bleed so there is that.

Demoskinos

Question regarding Sirris of the Sunless.

Will she still be pissed at me in NG+ for joining the Rosaria Fingers? I was just reading and realized she has a ring I'm going to need for one of the trophies. =\

Sullichin

The current world record for an all bosses speed run is like 1 hour and 17 minutes using a Luck scaling weapon. Melts bosses in literally 30 seconds or less. Anri's Straight Sword with 40 luck and Carthus Resin (Bleed)

The Bleed proc goes off all the time and I'm pretty sure it's the best damage in the game. It straight up breaks the game and makes every boss encounter trivial. Pontiff dies in under 30 seconds.

Oh yeah and using fast hitting weapons stagger bosses more than any heavy 2-hander. It's beyond broken. You just spam R1 and a few combos in and they fall to one knee while you finish them off.

Damn! I want to see a video of this

Just beat al
dritch. Fun fight, don't feel like I had as much trouble with this one as my big pyromance spells worked really well against him. Arrows were interesting but staying at the edge and dodge rolling made doting it easy as well. Time to fight the dancer next :D

GulAtiCa

Troll messages are great, had a couple get me pretty good. I only upvote the ones that are actually clever though, either ones that put you in danger or make you do something stupid. Like seeing a message on a ground that was positioned right above an enemy that drops on your head...dammit.

Yeah, a few have gotten me. Like one that is in C
athedral of the deep
way above on the top floor and said there was an invisible path in front me me. (the one that leads to R
osaria
) With a gold 9999 rating, I figured it might be true... nope. lol

This is the funniest one I've seen, saw this on Reddit a couple days ago.

HAHAHAHA. Did not see that coming.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I'm using the bandit dagger but it doesn't seem to stagger enough. I'll need to find this since my thief seems stuck at this point because I can't do enough damage.

GulAtiCa

i think its weird how you get sunbro medals from invading. is that a bug ?

Nope, not a bug. I think you can get your covenant items from invading as any covenant. Though, prob wrong on that and it might just be a few. I'll try testing tonight.

Edit: nope, Nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom