• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure magic sucks ass

Don't succumb

I keep hearing different things about magic, so I'm undecided whether to continue playing with my melee or pyromancer character (both are at roughly the same point).

That said, I heard pyromancy is supposed to be decent if you invest in both INT and FAI, as it scales with both. It's also nice knowing I can use buffs/healing from bother sorcery and miracles.

oroboros

I'm new to DS. Is there a difference besides the stats?

You start with different equipment. Best for beginners is probably Knight ( good shield, armor, HP ), Cleric ( Heal spell ), Pyromancer ( good early damage spells ). Or just jump in the deep-end and start Deprived for the more brutal Dark Souls intro experience if you want to be forced as soon as possible to git gud or die trying.

I keep hearing different things about magic, so I'm undecided whether to continue playing with my melee or pyromancer character (both are at roughly the same point).

That said, I heard pyromancy is supposed to be decent if you invest in both INT and FAI, as it scales with both. It's also nice knowing I can use buffs/healing from bother sorcery and miracles.

Piromancy is fine, really.

Getting excited to go home, turn on my gigabit internet connection, download this to my SSD and run it at 1440P on my Gsync IPS on my 980TI. (Life is good).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If I want to try a variety of weapons is a strength/dex build a good way to go? Or is it better to commit to either str or dex?

I have always rolled with a Claymore in Souls games and I want to mix it up.

Kemal86

I ordered the 'Day One' PS4 edition from Amazon in January...says it's arriving on Thursday?!? It's been my experience that Amazon does release day delivery for games (with Prime, at least).

How many fellow importers are hyped for the WW release? i'm really excited for 60 fps, but also equally excited to watch lobos first playthrough

Me.

Honestly can't wait to play the game on PC and in a language I can understand. lol

Hopefully my PC can do 60fps.

If I want to try a variety of weapons is a strength/dex build a good way to go? Or is it better to commit to either str or dex?

Yes, it is.

AlanOC91

Guys I don't get to play this until Sunday when I return to Ireland.

What is the general consensus about the game? Good? Better than DS2? (I never played BB)

Sylas

Quality builds (Str/Dex in equal measures) are even better in DS3 than they have been in prior games. The only weapons you really miss out on are ultra greatswords, and they already toned those down.

lionpants

There's some weapons (longswords, etc) that scale well with both stats. Most 'great' weapons scale solely with strength though.

Aaand my preload is going :) I played DS1 and DS2 mostly tanky with a katana and a shield but after Bloodborne this will be no more, I fully intended to play DS3 shieldless with dual Katanas :D

Also I would like to ask something to people that already played the PC version, is there borderless window mode available? :eek:

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yes, it is.

Quality builds (Str/Dex in equal measures) are even better in DS3 than they have been in prior games. The only weapons you really miss out on are ultra greatswords, and they already toned those down.

There's some weapons (longswords, etc) that scale well with both stats. Most 'great' weapons scale solely with strength though.

Thanks!

I'll probably bump str a little so I can also try an UGS or two.

klier

PS4 question, please help:

I pre-ordered the regular version in the PSN store on my PS4, but all it downloaded was that soundtrack and nowhere can I find the actual game!!

What's up and what can I do to fix this? I should notice that a friend of mine has my primary PS4, and he is already downloading the game, yet I cannot find the game anywhere on this secondary system I am using.

Can anyone help?

So I brought this guy back to firelink. Yoel of Londor. Looks like he offers to level me up for free. I bet there's a side effect. I don't care, going for it anyway.

How many fellow importers are hyped for the WW release? i'm really excited for 60 fps, but also equally excited to watch lobos first playthrough

Super hyped for 60 fps after playing 100 hours of the Japanese PS4 version. Finally reading the item descriptions will be fun as well. There are lots of Let's Plays I'm looking forward to... Lobos, ENB, A German Spy, and the rest of Oroboro's among others.

ok so what happened, short story:i'm home
Good you kindled her bonfire excellent (glad your save!)

DAT HELP :D <3 souls community.

CfyDuKYXEAAKzCq.jpg

Been helping out for about an hour now and got almost 25K souls and about 20 embers awesome if you want to buy a lot and grind for some embers early on.
Just make sure you don't use the souls to level yourself out of the area.

Gbraga

OK cool thanks, I like this. It's a good tradeoff that some shields can't parry I think. I always thought that the shields that give like 100% physical block or a crazy good passive and could also parry were pretty OP. Now you might have to make more hard choices based on your playstyle and not just get everything in 1 item.

Agreed. There's no real reason to use shields other than Grass Crest and Spider Shield in Dark 1 except for "I wanted to use something different". It's never worth it, imo.

Dutchman

Neo Member
Guys I don't get to play this until Sunday when I return to Ireland.

What is the general consensus about the game? Good? Better than DS2? (I never played BB)

I'm not all that far in but so far i like it more than DS2. I hear it only gets better so it has potencial to reach the same bar as DS1 for me which is one of my favourite games of all time.

Minor spoilers:

So far it feels a lot like pieces of DLC linked together (as in not a big open world, but several big areas who connect to each other), which is not a bad thing at all. The areas are really big and there are secrets everywhere.

PS4 question, please help:

I pre-ordered the regular version in the PSN store on my PS4, but all it downloaded was that soundtrack and nowhere can I find the actual game!!

What's up and what can I do to fix this? I should notice that a friend of mine has my primary PS4, and he is already downloading the game, yet I cannot find the game anywhere on this secondary system I am using.

Help for the love of God, I need my Souls fix tonight!

Edit: I was wrong, it does have the OST it seems. It should be in your library then though.

Neoweee

Yes. I'm looking forward to finally seeing some of the lore and also for 60fps

Lore, 60 FPS, and a new build.

I poked around a bit with Pyro and Sorc replays in the JP version after my original STR build, but gave up a few hours in to each.

Likely going to go a Dex build.

There's far more weapon imbues than ever before, right? Lots of good options, so it is really hard to say what STR/DEX mix is best because you can push around the scaling to fit your build fairly easily.

That's too loaded of a question, as some people like DS2. There's definitely a few things from DS2 that I wish were in this game.

Overall impressions are that the game is good, and widely better than *insert whatever a person thinks was the worst of the games*.

I'm not all that far in but so far i like it more than DS2. I hear it only gets better so it has potencial to reach the same bar as DS1 for me which is one of my favourite games of all time.

Minor spoilers:

So far it feels a lot like pieces of DLC linked together (as in not a big open world, but several big areas who connect to each other), which is not a bad thing at all. The areas are really big and there are secrets everywhere.

the world is set up like demon's souls x dark souls. I love it!

TwinPeaksBOB

Neo Member
How the heck do you jump? I've tried to run and press the L3 button but nothing seems to happen. I just roll ... Tried to switch to O button but still the same problem.

How the heck do you jump? I've tried to run and press the L3 button but nothing seems to happen. I just roll ... Tried to switch to O button but still the same problem.
You know L3 is clicking in the LEFT stick right? Just making sure :$.
Also if you switch to O for jump its I think double tap 0 to jump.

Unai

Agreed. There's no real reason to use shields other than Grass Crest and Spider Shield in Dark 1 except for "I wanted to use something different". It's never worth it, imo.

I'm a fan of the heater shield. It weights less and supposedly has a larger parry window. My Spider Shield is always ready when I need to protect against poison, though.

Moosehole

Decided to choose Pyromancer and use DEX weapons on off-hand.

I just don't want to use heavy armor / weapons anymore and offensive spells / miracles sound like they're crap so this seems like a decent option for me.

Does anybody have experience getting gamestop employees to break street dates???

My plan is to go in and threaten to cancel my pre-order, in the hopes that the guy gives in and just gives me the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom