• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyolux

Are multiplayer servers only going up once it hits digital store? Or I'll be able to coop tonight? (on disc ps4)

also what to go with... will probably restart a few times I bet.

Edzi

I'll probably only get an hour or two in tonight, but I'm hyped. Beat DS2 again over the weekend so I could try out the DLC (bleh) and I'm super ready to get back into some Souls action. Really looking forward to getting into the lore of this one.

Getting clowned by Centipede Demon in DS1 getting ready for DS3.

I one shot this the first time I fought it.

Must be getting old

Kinda off topic, but I can't believe this (incorrect, as far as I know) usage of the term "one shot" has taken off. I'm seeing it everywhere on gaf when people are referring to beating a boss on their first try (as opposed to killing something with one hit, which is what one shotting something typically meant).

It bothers me more than it should. :(

aravuus

VoMY3.gif

It's their prerogative and all, but I'd like to think they're at least trying on their own at least once.

Either that or they're new to the series entirely and they're just curious about the signs.

What does it matter lol

FWIW, that boss was actually the hardest of the first 5-6 for me for some weird fucking reason. I don't know what it was about that particular boss myself lol.

Onemic

But don't you need faith/int for pyro spells?

You do, but Im going for a Dex based warrior-mage hybrid build. My aim is to have my stats for the warrior side solid by the end of the game(so 40/40 str/dex) and the magic side of the build done during NG+.

Also it seems like a lot of the low/mid lvl pyromancies/miracles dont need much more than the Pyro base in int/faith(a lot are 15 and lower, and the base pyro stats for int/faith is 14/14).

VoMY3.gif

It's their prerogative and all, but I'd like to think they're at least trying on their own at least once.

Either that or they're new to the series entirely and they're just curious about the signs.

When I played DS2 at launch, a vast majority of the time I got summoned to help for a boss with a cutscene, the cutscene would play indicating that they hadn't even attempted it yet. Maybe 1 out of every 5 didn't play the cutscene. I daresay a majority of the people who play these games summon for bosses without even trying them solo.

oroboros

Does this game have any crossplay between PC and consoles? I know more games are doing that lately. That would be amazing for the online co-op and PvP communities.

Frodo

If the game was meant to be played alone there wouldn't be co-op. I don't get this elitism about co-oping. Let people play the way they want. It doesn't change anything for you.

You do, but Im going for a Dex based warrior-mage hybrid build. My aim is to have my stats for the warrior side solid by the end of the game(so 40/40 str/dex) and the magic side of the build done during NG+.

Also it seems like a lot of the low/mid lvl pyromancies/miracles dont need much more than the Pyro base in int/faith(a lot are 15 and lower, and the base pyro stats for int/faith is 14/14).

This is what I tend to do too, I just end up with a super toon that does it all don't really care all that much about the pvp aspect of the game. With the password system lvl really doesn't mean all that much outside of pvp.

neoemonk

I'll probably only get an hour or two in tonight, but I'm hyped. Beat DS2 again over the weekend so I could try out the DLC (bleh) and I'm super ready to get back into some Souls action. Really looking forward to getting into the lore of this one.

Kinda off topic, but I can't believe this (incorrect, as far as I know) usage of the term "one shot" has taken off. I'm seeing it everywhere on gaf when people are referring to beating a boss on their first try (as opposed to killing something with one hit, which is what one shotting something typically meant).

You're not alone. There are some people that absolutely HATE it. I learned this in the Bloodborne community thread. Something about MMOs having it first or some such nonsense. Context is your friend.

But that's all I will say about that as other people can fight this holy war.

If the game was meant to be played alone there wouldn't be co-op. I don't get this elitism about co-oping. Let people play the way they want. It doesn't change anything for you.

No shame in co-op. I loved helping people out in DS1, especially against the first boss. In turn, someone helped me beat the lava spider woman. Was top fun.

oroboros

What does it matter lol

Well if they are summoning Sunbros and it gives all people in the group sunlight medals or whatever I can see people summoning them on early, easy bosses just to get the rewards quicker to level up covenant later. I know I did this a couple times in DS2 just because I wanted those medals and I happened to see a sunbro sign near the boss area. Especially on early bosses I knew were going to be easy with or without help.

Zeliard

Man these summonings for 1st boss are like every 10 seconds now lol

Can't wait to help people with bosses. It's one of my favorite things to do in the series.

Soul memory in DS2 made it frustrating, though. The more you'd help people in co-op, the more you'd put yourself out of summoning range, which was just ridiculous. Glad it's back to the Dark Souls 1 style now (with the nice addition of weapon upgrade limits in online play).

Frodo

No shame in co-op. I loved helping people out in DS1, especially against the first boss. In turn, someone helped me beat the lava spider woman. Was top fun.

Co-op is the best part of Soulsborne. Personally, by the time I decide to beat the boss on my world, I've beaten it a hundred times already co-oping with other people. And I use co-op all the time as well. Gotta get the sun praised, yo.

anyone else ever have trouble unpacking a preload on steam? shit has never once worked for me and with my speeds (150 down/up) i'm thinking about just deleting my game and redownloading it once it's out.

I honestly don't care how you play the game, or anything of the sort. I've got no elitism about Dark Souls single vs co-op. I've wanted to play an entire run with my friend someday.

But it's basically the unofficial easy mode for Dark Souls. Like using the invulnerability buff in Mario. Sure, it's in the game, but it's not really designed to be played that way.

It's actually one of my gripes with the Dark Souls series. I wish they scaled the bosses health to the amount of players in your game, and that progression/boss clearing happened for everyone involved. Instead of having to clear everything multiple times.

It's not very good co-op imo.

Hixx

I broke. I can't deal with the Xbox One framerate. This boss is tough but the incredible input lag is exacerbating things to the point where I'm getting legit frustrated.

Preloading the PC version. Will have to do most of the game again but fuck it, I can't put up with it.

ISee

anyone else ever have trouble unpacking a preload on steam? shit has never once worked for me and with my speeds (150 down/up) i'm thinking about just deleting my game and redownloading it once it's out.

I had problems installing a game from disc on steam, but never with unpacking tbh.

Can't wait to help people with bosses. It's one of my favorite things to do in the series.

Soul memory in DS2 made it frustrating, though. The more you'd help people in co-op, the more you'd put yourself out of summoning range, which was just ridiculous. Glad it's back to the Dark Souls 1 style now (with the nice addition of weapon upgrade limits in online play).

Absolutely love it as well. I could help people as a sunbro for hours.

Audioboxer

I chose mercenary build so I have a wooden shield. Deffo not getting 100% block. Danggg it.

There is a 100% block shield before boss. Go looking ;)

Soul memory was a disaster. One of the worst things they've ever done.

Up to 16 medals now. Grinding out lothric knights whilst waiting. Still need the chest piece -_-

Robiin

I'm planning on playing a dex build, I heard the
uchigatina
was in this game. Anyone got the STR req for this weapon? Would hate to waste a bunch of levels on STR when I get it, so I'm planning my starting stats around it!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm planning on playing a dex build, I heard the
uchigatina
was in this game. Anyone got the STR req for this weapon? Would hate to waste a bunch of levels on STR when I get it, so I'm planning my starting stats around it!

Believe it's 11.

aravuus

Well if they are summoning Sunbros and it gives all people in the group sunlight medals or whatever I can see people summoning them on early, easy bosses just to get the rewards quicker to level up covenant later. I know I did this a couple times in DS2 just because I wanted those medals and I happened to see a sunbro sign near the boss area. Especially on early bosses I knew were going to be easy with or without help.

No, I meant that as in why would the person I quoted care how others play their games. Coop obviously makes the bosses significantly easier, but in my opinion, a lot more fun, too. I don't get the "you should always try bosses alone first" mentality.

Roussow

I'm with you. I actually was baffled and thought people were doing some bizarre strategy to kill bosses in one hit, like Bone Marrow Ash + Cannon in Bloodborne.

I took me longer than it should have to figure out what they actually meant.

TheFlow

Banned
I honestly don't care how you play the game, or anything of the sort. I've got no elitism about Dark Souls single vs co-op. I've wanted to play an entire run with my friend someday.

But it's basically the unofficial easy mode for Dark Souls. Like using the invulnerability buff in Mario. Sure, it's in the game, but it's not really designed to be played that way.

It's actually one of my gripes with the Dark Souls series. I wish they scaled the bosses health to the amount of players in your game, and that progression/boss clearing happened for everyone involved. Instead of having to clear everything multiple times.

It's not very good co-op imo.

unofficial easy mode is using spells.

Well, in Soulsborne, yes it is.

I should clarify.

It's not designed very well, imo. The co-op in Dark Souls is okay with random strangers, but really poorly implemented if you want to play with a friend from the very beginning.

Salt and Sanctuary actually has superior co-op. If only it wasn't entirely local.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat the final optional boss. All there is to do in NG for me is hoard the most spells/rings for the plat.

But I don't know if I'll be going for the platinum soon. I just checked the rewards for the covenants and most give you a spell/ring at 30. So that means getting to 30 in multiple covenants (at least 4 I think?). Seems like a lot of work, unless I'm missing something.

Robiin

Also, what's the unlock time in Europe on Steam? In one hour (+15 min) or two hours? I haven't slept since yesterday morning so I wonder if I can afford a quick powernap. I posted earlier today about waiting until tomorrow but the hype on this bus ride home from work is getting to me bad!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
going to decrypt the game and then... go to bed

im an old man damn it! ;_;

Frodo

I should clarify.

It's not designed very well, imo. The co-op in Dark Souls is okay with random strangers, but really poorly implemented if you want to play with a friend from the very beginning.

Salt and Sanctuary actually has superior co-op.

Oh, in this I agree with you. I can't really wrap my head around on why, on the 6th iteration of the series they haven't managed to make it easier to play with friends. They tried it in BB, but it was so unreliable and it took so long to connect that it was almost as if it weren't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom