• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Can't wait to help people with bosses. It's one of my favorite things to do in the series.

Soul memory in DS2 made it frustrating, though. The more you'd help people in co-op, the more you'd put yourself out of summoning range, which was just ridiculous. Glad it's back to the Dark Souls 1 style now (with the nice addition of weapon upgrade limits in online play).
If I upgrade a weapon for myself to get through the game, but stay low level, could I still cool with people in the early areas if I used a lower level weapon or does it just find the highest upgrade I've made and do matchmaking off that?

Audioboxer

where do i find a better shield than the standard knight one, also with 100% block?

I use the Twin Dragon Shield at the moment.

Lothric Knights drop nice shields. One medium 18 STR needed and one great, 32 STR needed. Both 100% block rate and higher stability than Knight Shield.

bidguy

Banned
Can't wait to help people with bosses. It's one of my favorite things to do in the series.

Soul memory in DS2 made it frustrating, though. The more you'd help people in co-op, the more you'd put yourself out of summoning range, which was just ridiculous. Glad it's back to the Dark Souls 1 style now (with the nice addition of weapon upgrade limits in online play).

how does it work now ? im level 70 and i tried getting summoned at the second boss but no dice

Kyuur

VoMY3.gif

It's their prerogative and all, but I'd like to think they're at least trying on their own at least once.

Either that or they're new to the series entirely and they're just curious about the signs.

I will be playing through the entire game first with a coop partner.

Fight me.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Well I can finally show this, did a fan piece of DS III for my buddy swiftor's youtube channel, twitter and others. I didnt have much information and only went by screenshots and whatnot, so I hope it still feels like Dark Souls

CfyFv95WEAA2geI.jpg:large

Ogawa-san

I haven't stared this hard at a clock since Mists of Pandaria launch.

I can't breathe, and I better not be dying cause it can't happen before playing this.

Zeliard

This sounds like a nice antigank measure that doesn't screw up online matchmaking in general. How nice of them.

Yeah it sounds like a nice solution. I also like that it affects co-op, since it somewhat limits the possibility of an OP summon just nuking the boss with the host barely doing anything. Although that's inevitable to some degree, since min-maxers will still be notably stronger than a lot of hosts.

If I upgrade a weapon for myself to get through the game, but stay low level, could I still cool with people in the early areas if I used a lower level weapon or does it just find the highest upgrade I've made and do matchmaking off that?

As I understand it, the instant you have a +5 of whatever in your inventory, you are locked to +5 for that playthrough as far as online play. There's no way to revert back without starting a new game.

So if you upgrade your weapons you do risk locking yourself out of a lot of early game PvP/co-op even if you stay at a low SL.

how does it work now ? im level 70 and i tried getting summoned at the second boss but no dice

SL 70 sounds awfully high for just the second boss. I would doubt a lot of people are in that range at that point.

Mandelbo

Matchmaking is based off your current level. If you're level 70 there's no way you're gonna get summoned at the second boss because you'll be out of everyone's range.

Nephtes

Anyone from the Import OT have some spoiler free methods of explaining how to either
A.
get the special ending
or
B.
not miss the special ending

It was possible to explain without spoilers in Bloodborne.... (Or minimal ones anyway), I'm hoping the same is possible here.

Robiin

Remember people, savour these first days. The first period after a new Souls game launches are the best. Everyone comes together and figures out systems, the stories, ways to go through the game and helps each other out. The community feeling may be somewhat lessened by the botched launch this time, but I trust GAF to come through with appropriate spoiler tagging!

I'm so fucking hyped guys.

Audioboxer

WTF? Just summoned into a game where we took on the
dancer
. How'd that happen? I got 1 hit ko'd lol. I'm guessing you can trigger that fight
early by attacking NPC?

Sullichin

Yeah it sounds like a nice solution. I also like that it affects co-op, since it somewhat limits the possibility of an OP summon just nuking the boss with the host barely doing anything. Although that's inevitable to some degree, since min-maxers will still be notably stronger than a lot of hosts.

As I understand it, the instant you have a +5 of whatever in your inventory, you are locked to +5 for that playthrough as far as online play. There's no way to revert back without starting a new game.

So if you upgrade your weapons you do risk locking yourself out of a lot of early game PvP/co-op even if you stay at a low SL.

SL 70 sounds awfully high for just the second boss. I would doubt a lot of people are in that range at that point.

Interesting... not sure how I feel about that but it's probably for the best.

Want to make characters to co-op different areas of the game, but it might be tough to beat later bosses and go back with shitty gear.

Goddamn I've played too much Bloodborne. Been killed like 7 times by the first boss lmao. Sik.

biggest change to get used to from Bloodborne to Souls is you can't get back health by defeating the enemy after having just taken damage. I recently started playing DS1 and it was just habit to go additional aggro once taking damage to try and reclaim health. It didn't turn out so well.

WTF? Just summoned into a game where we took on the dancer. How'd that happen? I got 1 hit ko'd lol. I'm guessing you can trigger that fight early by attacking NPC?

Yeah you can
kill the old lady that gives you the banner to cause the Dancer fight

Anyone from the Import OT have some spoiler free methods of explaining how to either
A.
get the special ending
or
B.
not miss the special ending

It was possible to explain without spoilers in Bloodborne.... (Or minimal ones anyway), I'm hoping the same is possible here.

A.
find yourself a waifu and end the age of fire.
B.
anything besides that :p
Sorry its kinda hard to be vague regarding
the special ending since it relates to a few NPC quest lines.

Audioboxer

ok thx

do you know a good place to grind them?

First boss bonfire, run back up the stairs and you have 3. 4 if you count the harder red eyed one. He won't drop a shield though. Other 3 do, 2 chances at medium shield, 1 at greatshield.

Yeah you can
kill the old lady that gives you the banner to cause the Dancer fight

Ohhh cool. Does it open up a new area or just give a soul? Either way it seems an extremely hard fight for early game.

Shifty

Remember people, savour these first days. The first period after a new Souls game launches are the best. Everyone comes together and figures out systems, the stories, ways to go through the game and helps each other out. The community feeling may be somewhat lessened by the botched launch this time, but I trust GAF to come through with appropriate spoiler tagging!

I'm so fucking hyped guys.

Come to think of it, this is my first launch-day Souls experience in the whole franchise.

God damn it, hype levels increased. Justcomeoutalreadyhnnng.

Another quarter gallon of coffee down
send help
Hold fast.

First boss bonfire, run back up the stairs and you have 3. 4 if you count the harder red eyed one. He won't drop a shield though. Other 3 do, 2 chances at medium shield, 1 at greatshield.

Ohhh cool. Does it open up a new area or just give a soul? Either way it seems an extremely hard fight for early game.
Both
but you will prob be getting killed in 1 hit from everything :p

oroboros

I hope it filters out low level people with upgraded weapons in co-op. Sometimes it's fun to summon some help for a boss you're having trouble with, but I hate when I summon some dude with some crazy weapon and he just like 2-shots the fucking boss or something. Summoning should be helpful but not OP.

Robiin

Come to think of it, this is my first launch-day Souls experience in the whole franchise.

God damn it, hype levels increased. Justcomeoutalreadyhnnng.
Yeah, it's one of the few game series I absolutely make sure to get on launch. I played Demon's Souls after the fact and while the internet activity in forums was kind of active, it was not as fun because everyone had the exact answers to everything. It's so much more fun going into these games with everyone clueless and giving eachother hints!

Sullichin

I hope it filters out low level people with upgraded weapons in co-op. Sometimes it's fun to summon some help for a boss you're having trouble with, but I hate when I summon some dude with some crazy weapon and he just like 2-shots the fucking boss or something. Summoning should be helpful but not OP.

Yeah I agree. Id just like to be able to stay low level but still be able to get through the game myself and go back with worse weapons and help earlier people. Seems like this system is for the best though.

BraXzy

I've got a good few games in my backlog... I still have Bloodborne to play through... But I'm feeling the pull of the hype. I would really like to jump into a souls at launch for the first time to see what that experience is like..

Ahhhh what to do.

sam777

Before I get this tomorrow I want to be prepped, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me what is the best axe to use in the game, that can be obtained relativley early?

I played through DS SOTFS with an axe, so going that route again.

Yeah, it's one of the few game series I absolutely make sure to get on launch. I played Demon's Souls after the fact and while the internet activity in forums was kind of active, it was not as fun because everyone had the exact answers to everything. It's so much more fun going into these games with almost everyone clueless and giving eachother hints!
FIFY ;)

But nah I do agree with you. Thats why I imported the game since I really enjoy going in completely clueless with everyone. Its shitty what Namco did and delay the worldwide release..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom